• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2010

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
NINTENDO DOWNLOAD: LOOK OUT FOR NUMERO UNO WITH NEW GAME DOWNLOADS FROM NINTENDO

Jan. 25, 2010

You needn't be bilingual to appreciate the first of this week's fantastic downloadable game offerings. Like the classic card game upon which it's based, the new UNO™ game for the WiiWare™ service is all about inclusive, social fun that anybody can pick up and enjoy. Other fresh WiiWare fare includes the inventive puzzle title bittos+ and the hidden-object game "Aha! I Found It!" The Nintendo DSiWare™ service welcomes a trio of diverting hand-held delights this week: the strategy-based NUMBER BATTLE™, the arcade-style AiRace: Tunnel and the action-packed Escapee GO! Last but not least, Virtual Console™ fans should prepare to vanquish spooky specters with the arrival of a true Super NES™ classic, Ghoul Patrol™.

WiiWare

UNO
Publisher: Gameloft
Players: 1-6
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone)
Price: 1,000 Wii Points™
Description: Get ready to call "UNO" on your Wii™ system! The world-famous card game is faithfully reproduced for the Wii console with some exciting new rules. Thanks to a multiplayer mode (additional Wii Remote™ controllers required) that's playable on one Wii console or online via Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection (broadband Internet access required), UNO has never been so fun and easy.

bittos+
Publisher: MACHINE
Players: 1
Price: 800 Wii Points
Description: The next big thing in casual gaming, bittos+ is all about rotating, moving and placing game pieces onto a game board to make squares and, more importantly, squares within squares. Playing bittos+ provides hours and hours of entertainment for the whole family, with boatloads of challenge and replay value for even the most avid gamer. With luscious environments, multiple modes to unlock, game styles to suit every mood, multiple real-time reactive control methods, in-game Awards to collect and high-score boards for the entire your household, bittos+ is a new game-play experience that will sweep you away.

"Aha! I Found It!" Hidden Object Game
Publisher: Ateam Inc.
Players: 1-4
Price: 500 Wii Points
Description: A hidden-object game for everyone has come to the WiiWare service. Try to find 12 particular items among a crowd of on-screen objects as fast as you can, from big fish to tiny earrings, easy-to-find items to well-hidden ones. Unlike most other hidden-object games, this one lets you play along with friends and family (additional Wii Remote controllers required) and compete to see who's best at finding the hidden objects in each stage. With 10 stages and more than 277 different items, there's plenty of searching fun to enjoy. Also, with items changing position each time you play, you can enjoy each stage again and again.

Nintendo DSiWare

NUMBER BATTLE
Publisher: Nintendo
Price: 500 Nintendo DSi Points™
Description: From Japan comes NUMBER BATTLE, a board game that invokes the ancient art of feng shui while challenging players to clear the playing field. Take turns against human or computer opponents to reach a target score by placing numbered tiles on the board and linking the arms of each tile in various ways. Watch for the Winds of Change to possibly blow over the board during a battle, resulting in special squares that will score bonus points or affect game play in new ways. Items that aid you in your pursuit of points can also be found, but they'll cost you points and must be placed strategically. Go it alone in the main Story or Puzzle modes, or battle against up to three opponents from around the world via Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection (broadband Internet access required). You can even learn from your past with History mode, which shows the moves recorded during previous contests. This unique combination of puzzle and strategy elements results in an exciting battle of wits. Can you guide your Warrior to victory?

AiRace: Tunnel
Publisher: QubicGames
Players: 1
Price: 200 Nintendo DSi Points
Description: AiRace: Tunnel is an invitation to the newly started Project Tunnel. It was created to examine the quickness and attentiveness of aviation rookies. Think you've got the skills? Put your reflexes to the test and see how swift, precise and predictive you are. Maneuver your aircraft safely through specially created tunnels that are full of traps. Be careful: Your plane will speed up with every second, making each turn and each barrier harder to navigate. It's not just a game, it's a challenge.

Escapee GO!
Publisher: Gevo Entertainment
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) – Mild Cartoon Violence
Price: 200 Nintendo DSi Points
Description: In Escapee GO!, players take on the role of Claire, who awakens with no memory of who she is. Save for her name, all information about her has been destroyed. In its place, something within her has changed. Hunted down by an unknown enemy, she must find a way to escape her pursuers using her newfound powers. Will she be able to survive? Using her heightened senses, Claire is able to detect enemies before they come into visual range. During her daring escape, Claire will find mysterious items that can temporarily enhance her abilities, allowing her to level the playing field.

Virtual Console

Ghoul Patrol
Original platform: Super NES
Publisher: LucasArts
Players: 1-2
ESRB Rating: E10+ (Everyone 10 and Older) – Mild Fantasy Violence
Price: 800 Wii Points
Description: The main attractions at the library's Goblin exhibit have come to life! As the Ghoul Patrol, you'll go back in time and de-spook an encyclopedia of zombified historic dudes. Vaporize garbage-can ghosts and ninja spirits, rescue bug-eyed librarians and wigged-out pirates, dodge flying books and adolescent-eating plants, and ultimately put the beastly spirit back in the history books.

Nintendo adds new titles to the Nintendo DSi Shop and the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time on Mondays. Users with broadband Internet access can redeem Wii Points or Nintendo DSi Points to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel. Nintendo DSi Points can be purchased in the Nintendo DSi Shop. A Nintendo Points Card™ can be purchased at retail locations. All points from one Nintendo Points Card must be redeemed in either the Nintendo DSi Shop or the Wii Shop Channel. They are not transferable and cannot be divided between the two systems.

Remember that both Wii and Nintendo DSi feature parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit Wii.com or NintendoDSi.com.

heringer

I hate to be the one who say this, but the wait for Cave Story is getting ridiculous. We were supposed to get the game last year. :(

Man God

Non-Canon Member
heringer said:
I hate to be the one who say this, but the wait for Cave Story is getting ridiculous. We were supposed to get the game last year. :(

Blame the coders as apparently they just keep messing up. That's the word at any rate. Lord knows Wiiware's schedule isn't exactly strict. Stuff that is done ends up going up at most two months later.

Shiggy

Gevo Entertainment, that's a somewhat mysterious company I think. They've done Jet Impulse DS, why can't we get that as a DSiWare?

Ghoul Patrol is the kinda bad sequel to ZAMN, isn't it? I never got a chance to try that one out. I'll pick that up when I get home.

thefro

heringer said:

Considering how crazy tomorrow is going to be on my wallet, I'm glad Cave Story didn't come out today.

wsippel

Banned
Shiggy said:
Gevo Entertainment, that's a somewhat mysterious company I think. They've done Jet Impulse DS, why can't we get that as a DSiWare?
Nothing mysterious about them. Jet Impulse is a Genki game, and Gevo, a subsidiary of Genki back then, was involved in the project.

Shard said:
Nintendo DSiWare

NUMBER BATTLE
Publisher: Nintendo
Price: 500 Nintendo DSi Points™
Description: From Japan comes NUMBER BATTLE, a board game that invokes the ancient art of feng shui while challenging players to clear the playing field. Take turns against human or computer opponents to reach a target score by placing numbered tiles on the board and linking the arms of each tile in various ways. Watch for the Winds of Change to possibly blow over the board during a battle, resulting in special squares that will score bonus points or affect game play in new ways. Items that aid you in your pursuit of points can also be found, but they'll cost you points and must be placed strategically. Go it alone in the main Story or Puzzle modes, or battle against up to three opponents from around the world via Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection (broadband Internet access required). You can even learn from your past with History mode, which shows the moves recorded during previous contests. This unique combination of puzzle and strategy elements results in an exciting battle of wits. Can you guide your Warrior to victory?
Yeah this! Get this game! It is the perfect mixture between Puzzle and Strategy Boardgame. It is so addictive and fun! Top 5 Games on DSiW

Great to see Sujin Taisen finally out in America.

Can someone explain the UNO prices to me though.
On DSiWare:
EU 500 points, US 800 points
On WiiWare:
EU 500 points, US 1000 points
Does the Uno licence for North America cost more and change in price? Though I guess this is similar to Europe paying 200 points more if the game has the word plus in its title...

Insaniac

I'd like to put my word in again on Starship defense for Dsiware. its the best 500 points I've spent in a while totally worth it!

oh and also I've got 200 points sittin around what DSiware game would peopel recommend?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Insaniac said:
I'd like to put my word in again on Starship defense for Dsiware. its the best 500 points I've spent in a while totally worth it!
cannot disagree. you may want to try out trajectile (another dsiware entry by q-games).

Provider

I played scapee go for a few minutes. Definitely worth the price. Even 500 would be ok. I feel like I robbed the developer.

donny2112

How would Retro Game Challenge broken up into separate DL games on DSiWare (that worked together to make the full game) sound? Not saying it's going to happen. Just wondering what ya'll would think of it.

Kishgal

Banned
donny2112 said:
How would Retro Game Challenge broken up into separate DL games on DSiWare (that worked together to make the full game) sound? Not saying it's going to happen. Just wondering what ya'll would think of it.
I'd say "I already have RGC; give me the sequel." :(

Veal

donny2112 said:

It would be AMAZING.

zigg

Yeah, I probably would not bite, personally, since I also own a copy of RGC... though I'd buy games from RGC2.

And I'd heartily recommend Haggle Man to everyone who hadn't yet played it.

donny2112 said:
How would it work? Half the fun of RGC is the stuff outside the games. Would all of that be available from the get-go and you'd just have to actually pay for each new game?

donny2112

Segata Sanshiro said:
How would it work? Half the fun of RGC is the stuff outside the games. Would all of that be available from the get-go and you'd just have to actually pay for each new game?

That's what I was thinking. The first download would include the "overworld" (maybe with static images instead of 3-D to save space) with the two schmups and the appropriate magazines. Since the magazines reference the other games, it would raise awareness for the other games. Then the other games would be available as DLC (with additional magazines). Something like this...

Schmups
x2
+ basic overworld = 500 points
Racers
x2
= 200 points
Haggleman
x3
= 800 points
Guadia Quest = 500 points

If you only wanted Schmups (the only required game, since it has the basic overworld included), you could stop there, though. You don't have to get it all, unless you want the games or wanted to beat all the challenges.

Nessus

Escapee Go does look pretty cool, though I hope maybe there's a little more depth to it. Quiet sections that are more about exploring, possibly.

zigg

Nessus said:
Escapee Go does look pretty cool, though I hope maybe there's a little more depth to it. Quiet sections that are more about exploring, possibly.

Without having actually downloaded it (here begins my long slide into a backlog), it seems to me such a thing would run totally counter to the spirit of the game.

neoism

heringer said:
Yeah sadly I just couldn't wait any longer, so I downloaded the FREE PC version. It works great with a 360 PC pad, so no buy for me! Shame, I waited for a year+, I started it about 3 days before a Wiiware version was announced so I decided to wait!... :/

heringer said:

Weren't we supposed to get it in mid/late 2008? I've given up hope - something fishy is up with the dev/publisher relationship with Nintendo's release pre-reqs or something.
Not like the WiiWare version will add "too much" new, and I fear purists will prefer the original PC version because of all of the WiiWare version's changes.
Best to just hook your PC to an HDTV and a good controller/gamepad and be on your way. :D

BooJoh

donny2112 said:
I'd rather they did it with the sequel, or better yet, just make a brand new Haggleman game for DSiWare (Haggleman 1 & 2 style, not that next gen garbage ;) )

i know that asking for "news" on DSiware is probably a lost cause for anything not happening RIGHT THIS WEEK, but does anyone know if dark void zero is hitting the japanese store? i'm not sure that the console game even has a release date here, and i feel like waiting for the iphone version is probably a bad idea given how mega man II turned out.

in the meantime, i'm having a bunch of fun with reflect missile! would totally recommend that to anyone.

zigg

345triangle said:
i know that asking for "news" on DSiware is probably a lost cause for anything not happening RIGHT THIS WEEK, but does anyone know if dark void zero is hitting the japanese store? i'm not sure that the console game even has a release date here, and i feel like waiting for the iphone version is probably a bad idea given how mega man II turned out.

Is Dark Void announced for Japan? If so, I'd look for it around then; If not, it might not come at all. But it's basically a really cool promo for the bigger game.

Veal

Nessus said:

Escapee Go! is actually a pretty clever little game. You have a stamina bar so you can't just run everywhere (though there is a power up that will let you do so.) There is also fog of war type thing that let you see your enemies before they see you but it's effective area decreases as you move. It manages to keep tension high and make you plan a little bit. You can tell a lot of thought was put into the game, and for $2, you really can't go wrong with this one.

Also it REALLY makes me want Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel. DSi remake please!

zigg

Veal said:
Escapee Go! is actually a pretty clever little game...

Ngg. I can't be buying more DSiWare now. I have a bunch of unfinished stuff already and I'm barely into Glory of Herc.

JohnnyPanda

Neo Member
AiRace: Tunnel is actually kinda cool for 200 points. Basically you just fly a jet through a wind tunnel and have to navigate a bunch of moving obstacles. There's 5 stages plus an "endless" mode (which lets you pilot what looks like a neon green Imperial shuttle) and the stages get pretty fast. The 3D is nice and sharp for a DS too, all very smooth.

You can steer with buttons or using the stylus as a sort of flight stick, but I found that to be pretty wonky. It's way easier with buttons and overall is pretty fun, if very simple.

Picked up Ghoul Patrol, and it's actually a lot better of a game than I had convinced myself it was. However, the game does have some issues.

Pros:

A) The game looks really good in terms of detail and sprite work. All the enemies animate nicely, and Zeke and Julie move a bit more fluidly than in the first game.

B) Some additions to the controls are a nice touch. The game still plays very similar to ZAMN, but with an added quick dodge button and the ability to run.

C) Still feels like ZAMN, for the most part.

Cons:

A) The amount of damage that enemies take is extremely high. Even in the first level, the most common enemies will take multiple crossbow bolts before they're defeated.

B) The weapon selection is so boring now. In ZAMN you had all these absolutely crazy weapons like the plates, a football, or a squirt gun. Here you seem to just have generic weapons that shoot different beams of energy and a crossbow. It's more disappointing than I would have imagined.

C) Enemy spawn points. This is probably the biggest annoyance in the game. Enemies no longer appear at random. They generate from a few select spawn points in the level. These point are often placed in front of a door or in a small room that's necessary to go through. As the enemies often spawn as soon as you kill one, this adds a pointless annoyance to the game.

D) No movie based level names.

Random Quirks

A) Holding down the shoot button allows you to run. This is extremely useful but very annoying. That means you either switch back to the crossbow or waste a shot before running.

B) The end of the level gate now appears at a specific point rather than right beside you. It's also now a glowing portal of doom rather than a door.

C) Zeke looks even more ridiculous.

D) There's now a bit of story, which you'll want to skip to save yourself the problemo of having your mental ears bleed at Zeke's totally radical dialogue.

E) Drink red potion become Death.

F) The map is gone now and replaced by the screams of the nearest victim. This actually makes the game feel more linear as you now seem to go from victim to victim in order rather than bumbling around the stage, saving them as you go.

-------------------

All in all, I actually really like the game. It feels enough like ZAMN that I'd probably still like it even if it gave me a hard slap across the face when I booted it up.

It's a good game, I'd say. It's biggest problem is that it's not a great game like ZAMN was.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
sorry for being a month late, but any impressions of pop island?

jgkspsx

Wow, DSiWare is getting too heavy to keep up with.

Robot Rescue - Abysmal art style aside, this was a very compelling puzzler. Easily worth more than the 200 points for me. If you liked 80s or 90s fiddly positional puzzle games (Chip's challenge etc.) this one is worth it.

Solitaire - the "duh" software, should have been included in firmware, but fine for the price

Chronos Twins - Well, I'm happy to finally have it, four years after I saw it the first time. But it's not exactly the lost Orbital platformer as far as art and writing go. Still haven't gotten past the tutorialish stages.

Trajectile - Beware this. Too many five-minute play sessions turn into half-hour ones. On the upshot, at least I'm getting near completion - only a few more medals to go to unlock the last segment.

Escapee GO! - I love the art style. It feels very European, even though it was developed by Chinese college students (?). Gameplay is great, but gets exhausting after a while. I think it splits the difference between old-school Metal Gear and Pac Man myself - enemies run on normal patrols, and only come after you when they see you. It would easily be a solid 500 point purchase, I can't believe it's 200 points

AiRace - Solid 200 point flying-plane-down-tube game. The controls are wonky no matter what you do (I marginally preferred touch screen, but button placement sucks), but the graphics and music are OK, and if you want flight games on the DSi you don't have much choice.

Number Battle - See Trajectile. (I'd have bought either on cartridge.) How many continents are there, anyway?

Top Bottom