• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - July 2015

Cool, I will update my copy of Blaster Master then. It's a cloudy rainy day where I am which is the perfect atmosphere for a moody old school adventure game.

TheMoon

Fair enough, but given it's all the info we have at this point I'm going with that.

I wasn't trying to dispute your theory, just clarify that they haven't thrown this around like Assassin's Creed games.

That is perfectly normal and sensible for a level editor/game, by the way. The Mario vs DK and Pushmo games do the exact same thing. You don't want to overwhelm the player with options right from the start. Let them learn with simple tools first.

jholmes

Apparently Tengami sold 11K on Wii U. It sold the same on PC. Sold 196K on iOS.

Was 50% cheaper on iOS, so not surprised it sold better there. But still nice to see it do well.

Winner winner tofu dinner

I liked the game but they could've sold it better by dropping the price and getting it out the door earlier. It's really short and I don't know why they assume people are more likely to spend around $10 on a short game on Wii U than on iOS.

Xenoboy

I played a bit of Toki Tori 2 and boy is it cute!
and boy is it different from the first one, and I mean different as in nothing like it at all. That's in a good way, mind you.

I really like how you have to interact with the different critters to traverse and complete the different puzzles.
I hope it's going to continue being this good.
What did the update to the game add or do?

steveovig

I wasn't trying to dispute your theory, just clarify that they haven't thrown this around like Assassin's Creed games.

That is perfectly normal and sensible for a level editor/game, by the way. The Mario vs DK and Pushmo games do the exact same thing. You don't want to overwhelm the player with options right from the start. Let them learn with simple tools first.

But I don't want to create anything. I just want to play levels but I guess there is nothing stopping me from just jumping online right away. Don't shoehorn me into creating stuff, I suck at it and get no fun out of it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Maybe it'll be among the lines of "beat this certain level, unlock this new object/enemy/pattern", considering there's gonna be a ton of premade levels already.

I remember Mega Man Powered Up had it so new things to use in the Construction Mode were hidden in the normal game & you had to find them to get new stuff to use.

I keep coming back to look at the PR from NOA this week and it just baffles the mind how inept they are. Did they really think that this was good? Who is in control of this?

I really wish someone had asked Nintendo at E3 whats the deal with VC and Wii releases on Wii U.

It's downright horrible.

I'll take Wave Race 64, 1080 Snowboarding, and F-Zero X with dark filter and all. I binged on N64 games before Club Nintendo went up in flames in hopes I'll be able to "upgrade" them to Wii U sometime later.

Bowl0l

I keep coming back to look at the PR from NOA this week and it just baffles the mind how inept they are. Did they really think that this was good? Who is in control of this?

I really wish someone had asked Nintendo at E3 whats the deal with VC and Wii releases on Wii U.

It's downright horrible.
If not mistaken, Nintendo will not have any sort of PR this week due to Iwata's passing.

@MUWANdo

Banned
and boy is it different from the first one, and I mean different as in nothing like it at all. That's in a good way, mind you.

I really like how you have to interact with the different critters to traverse and complete the different puzzles.

The update added a lot of environmental cues to help people get around or solve certain puzzles, IIRC.

Ondore

No, he's right - there's been no PR for anything from NOA *or* NOE this week unless specifically requested. The only reason we know anything is on sale is looking in the eShop. I'm amazed they gave NPD statements, quite frankly.

Edit: Is it just me, or is it a little less head-covered in here?

TheMoon

But I don't want to create anything. I just want to play levels but I guess there is nothing stopping me from just jumping online right away. Don't shoehorn me into creating stuff, I suck at it and get no fun out of it.

Yea I don't see the connection there. If you don't want to make levels then why would you care that they don't have all the tools available for you ...since you wouldn't use them anyway. :D

The "+" update added a new additional fast travel-style thing (mole travel), new puzzles, new background graphics, miiverse integration for drawings, map stuff, new disco tracks. They also streamlined some puzzle clues according to feedback collected on Miiverse but I don't know how that turned out since I only played the vanilla version.

GulAtiCa

is that the card game or?

Nope. I've essentially cancelled that one. Or at least postponed it for some other time.

This new game is a secret, never revealed it. Just little teases here and there. Me and Camjo-Z have been hard at work on it (he is doing the graphics and music).

Ondore

Might as well make this week official since we did get NoA PR finally.

Virtual Console on Wii U
Blaster Master – In this NES cult classic, main character Jason goes after his rogue pet frog, Fred, and both fall into a world of monsters. Jason must join forces with a combat tank code-named SOPHIA and find a way to survive, while ending the mutant forces set to destroy Earth!
Nintendo eShop Sales:

Nintendo eShop on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS
Ubisoft Summer Sale – Take up to 75 percent off games like Rayman Origins (Nintendo 3DS), Child of Light (Wii U) and many more games from Ubisoft from 9 a.m. PT on July 20 until 8:59 a.m. PT on Aug. 3! Visit http://www.nintendo.com/eshop/offers for more details.
I’ve Got to Run (Wii U) and I’ve Got to Run: Complete Edition! (Nintendo 3DS) from 4 Corner Games are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on July 18.
99Seconds (Wii U), Soccer Up 3D (Nintendo 3DS) and other select games from EnjoyUp are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on Aug. 13.
Squids Odyssey (Wii U and Nintendo 3DS) is 60 percent off (reduced from $14.99 to $5.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Aug. 13.
Angry Bunnies: Colossal Carrot Crusade (Wii U), Angry Bunnies (Nintendo 3DS), Color Zen (Wii U and Nintendo 3DS) and more titles from Cypronia are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on August 31.
Nintendo eShop on Wii U
Super Toy Cars is 50 percent off (reduced from $7.99 to $3.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on July 23.
uWordsmith is 50 percent off (reduced from $1.99 to $0.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Aug. 6.
Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS
Code of Princess, Etrian Mystery Dungeon and Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan from Atlus are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on July 21.
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers is 50 percent off (reduced from $29.99 to $14.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on July 21.
Classic Games Overload: Card & Puzzle Edition is 50 percent off (reduced from $29.99 to $14.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Aug. 3.
Castle Conqueror EX, Fairune and Parking Star 3D from Circle Entertainment are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on Aug. 6.
Zombie Panic in Wonderland DX is 37 percent off (reduced from $8 to $4.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on Aug. 15.
Bit Boy!! Arcade and PUZZLEBOX Setup from Bplus are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on August 31.
Activities:

Splatoon Splatfest: Thrill seekers rejoice! The theme for the second Splatoon Splatfest is “Roller Coasters vs. Water Slides” and it starts July 17 at 9 p.m. PT and ends July 18 at 9 p.m. PT. You can pick your team at the Splatfest booth in the Inkopolis plaza prior to the event, but pick wisely because you won’t be able to change your team once you choose! Learn more here: http://splatoon.nintendo.com/news/.
Theme Shop on Nintendo 3DS:

New themes this week include:
Etrian Odyssey Untold 2: Café Theme
Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX
Miiverse 2015 Theme
Also new this week:

Tiny Galaxy (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
I Am An Air Traffic Controller Airport Hero Narita – Full and Demo Versions (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
I Love My Dogs (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
Castle Conqueror EX – Demo Version (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight – Demo Version (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
G.G Series SCORE ATTACKER (DSiWare on Nintendo DSi)
G.G Series VECTOR (DSiWare on Nintendo DSi)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh, there was actually new themes? & a Miiverse one as well? Though I'm willing to bet it's not free....

So it seems I'm finally gonna get a New 3DS XL today after trading my OG launch day model for $100 trade-in credit at GS. From what I've heard, the download speed is faster, but I was wondering for those who upgraded, how much of a difference was it?

All I know is it'll finally get me to play Majora's Mask 3D since I was wanting to play it on N3DS XL & maybe go back to Codename Steam because I can use Marth & Ike amiibo now.

Edit: Oh, Legend of Dark Witch is on sale again? Maybe I'll pick that up in a few days considering PSN is having a flash sale later today & I'm hoping Gradius Collection will be a decent price.

I've Got To Run is on a ridiculous sale. Wii U version is 1 cent ($0.01) and 3DS version is a dime ($0.10).

It's just an endless runner right? Anything set it apart from the millions that are already out? I mean for .11 cents I should just buy both but is it really something I'm going to enjoy?

Ondore

Rayman Origins, Ghost Recon 3DS and Splinter Cell were in the 3DS's "On Sale" section yesterday when I checked. Not sure about Wii U, but I'd guess their entire run goes on sale.

SerTapTap

If Dark Witch is going to be even cheaper I'd recommend picking it up if you've enjoyed Mega Man. Doesn't have the best stage design, but the Gradius power up bar is a fun gimmick and it's got a lot of unlockable cheats and stuff. I need to play the harder difficulties still.

On that note, if you have a 3DS, like Mega Man and haven't gotten the Zero Collection, and ideally ZX/ZX Advent you really should. Zero Collection in particular is cheap and a lot of game (4 full length mega man games)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I got Zero Collection a few years back via a contest but stopped playing because of how hard it was & the fact you couldn't go back & retry missions after losing all your lives.

I tried the demo for Dark Witch & liked it, hence why I was waiting for a sale. Though from what I've heard, it was released on Vita in Japan? Maybe I should wait & see if it comes to the US.

I wouldn't mind playing ZX Advent if it came to the Wii U VC. Kind of surprised Capcom hasn't released any DS games yet considering they're probably one of the best supporters of the VC.

Mikurden

Not sure why that most recently posted PR is different from the info posted earlier. There may be more differences, but at the very least, they have different end dates for that "I've Got To Run" sale and the new one says there's demos for I Am An Air Traffic Controller Airport Hero Narita and Castle Conqueror EX.

LayLa

what is the price of Etrian Mystery Dungeon in the US store?
in the Canadian store it says it's reduced from $39.99 to $38.09, and the banner above says "Sale 4% OFF!", how generous!

Javier

what is the price of Etrian Mystery Dungeon in the US store?
in the Canadian store it says it's reduced from $39.99 to $38.09, and the banner above says "Sale 4% OFF!", how generous!
Just checked. It's 25% off in the US, so $29.99

maxcriden

Okay, silly question of the day.

What is a Pokemon game I can play where there is

a) no people using Pokemon to fight each other ;___;
b) cute lil Pokemon
c) no turn-based battles
d) some other stipulations I will think of later
e) Pika Pika

New stipulations @ 2:26 PM on 7/17/2015:

f) no pinball
g) no sports
h) no arcade puzzles
i) game needs set goals

New stipulation @ 2:27 PM on 7/17/2015:

j) No direct sad violence coming to Pokemon required to beat the game

Man God

Non-Canon Member

b) cute lil Pokemon
c) no turn-based battles
e) Pika Pika

like...almost all of the spinoffs.

zroid

Banned

b) cute lil Pokemon
c) no turn-based battles
e) Pika Pika

um.... Pokémon Pinball RS or Pokémon Puzzle Challenge?

maxcriden

like...almost all of the spinoffs.

Example me pls.

New stipulation: no pinball, no sports. Edited post.

um.... Pokémon Pinball RS or Pokémon Puzzle Challenge?

New stipulation: no arcade puzzles. Game needs set goals.

--

One more stipulation. No direct sad violence coming to Pokemon required to beat the game. So if you need to hit a Pokemon with a ball to get a picture of it ;___: no dice.

zroid

Banned
Pokémon Ranger, perhaps?

(I haven't played it so I don't know if it meets your criteria, strictly speaking. I think it does though)

SerTapTap

I got Zero Collection a few years back via a contest but stopped playing because of how hard it was & the fact you couldn't go back & retry missions after losing all your lives.

I tried the demo for Dark Witch & liked it, hence why I was waiting for a sale. Though from what I've heard, it was released on Vita in Japan? Maybe I should wait & see if it comes to the US.

I wouldn't mind playing ZX Advent if it came to the Wii U VC. Kind of surprised Capcom hasn't released any DS games yet considering they're probably one of the best supporters of the VC.

You should have played more of the collection. Only Zero 1 has that particular mission structure (it tries and really fails to have a Metroidvania-y connected world). And failing missions means almost nothing in Zero 1. I would recommend basically ignoring rank and even mission failures for a first playthrough, the game shines in first figuring out WTF to do, THEN perfecting along your second or third playthrough. If you expect to get S rank after S rank you first time through you're just going to grind yourself to the bone.

The weapon "experience" AKA "unnerfing" system in Zero 1 &2 are possibly the worst ideas ever introduced to the Mega Man games, but you can grind away the restrictions to your weapons as soon as you get to replay a level then play the games normally. That may have been where some of the trouble lies. The bosses in Zero 1 are much more handleable once you can charge your buster/sword.

If nothing else, I think you should go back and try Zero 3 if you are extremely fussy. Zero 1 is flawed but still has some solid combat, Zero 2 is basically great all around except the "experience" system, Zero 3 is near perfect and Zero 4 is somewhat of a stumble but still very good IMO.

And there's an "easy scenario" if you weren't using it, I forget what all it does but I think it makes you basically god in most of the games.

ZX and Advent I'd happily purchase again on Wii U VC to play with a proper controller. I'm amazed I didn't destroy my fingers on my GBA/DS playing Zero/ZX games with all that dashing.

Dang, that is pretty rough, as my favorite spinoff series is Mystery Dungeon. The violence is pretty minor (pokemon willingly join you after you beat them sometimes, can't hurt too much) and though it's some what turn-based battles are extremely fast compared to mainline pokemon games. And it's all pokemon acting by their own will, no trainers.

Hey You Pikachu and Pokemon Snap are perfect and I'd recommend them--I really really wish they'd figure a way to get Hey You Pikachu on VC. I actually loved that game and need to track down a copy again. Parents, don't let your kids give away their video game collection unless they're adults.

Also would that weird Poke Park thing that just hit Wii U VC work? You know, the one NOA will pretend never existed.

RiggyRob

b) cute lil Pokemon
c) no turn-based battles
e) Pika Pika

New stipulations @ 2:26 PM on 7/17/2015:

f) no pinball
g) no sports
h) no arcade puzzles
i) game needs set goals

New stipulation @ 2:27 PM on 7/17/2015:

Pokemon Trading Card game? Although that might break the turn based battle stipulation.

Xenoboy

I'd say Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, but it's sort of turn based. Like, each turn takes about 1-3 seconds.
The game is human free though, and it can go to places in its direction.
First game would be a good start, but if only want to play one, then play Explorers of Sky, not the other Explorers.
I find it hard to get back to Rescue Team after the Explorer games, but its still great.
If you do play it, prepare some tissues.

Pokémon Ranger is also a good choice, but you capture Pokémon by circling them and they follow you, so they're not inside a ball all the time.
The first one is hard to get back to after the 2nd and 3rd. I liked Ranger 2 the most, Ranger 3 was solid as well.

Between the two series, Mystery Dungeon is the longer game and Ranger the shorter.

SerTapTap

Speaking of, I'm pretty excited for the new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. I was so worried it'd be another F2P game (we had 2 F2P pokemon spinoffs in a row). I played Blue Rescue Team and...I forget which of the other two I played. Wasn't a fan of them trying to cram the "2 games" gimmick into singleplayer games, though it made sense with the GBA/DS split for the first two.

Etrian Mystery Dungeon was cheap on Amazon so I'll be trying that soon too

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So is the new Miiverse 3DS theme free or does it cost money? I tried checking but the theme shop doesn't seem to be updated yet.

Also oohhh maaaan the New 3DS XL's screens. Such an upgrade after dealing with the OG 3DS since launch. Heck, never even had the DS XL, just the DS, then DSi. First time owning a XL version of a Nintendo handheld.

joedick

I think it's been said that stuff can be unlocked through the '100 Mario Challenge'.

One more stipulation. No direct sad violence coming to Pokemon required to beat the game. So if you need to hit a Pokemon with a ball to get a picture of it ;___: no dice.

I mean... even Mario jumps on Goombas and kicks shells into Turtles, presumably killing them.

Out of interest, what type of games do you play?
Outside of sports, puzzle, light simulation (like Animal Crossing) or strategy games (like Farming Simulator) I'd imagine you'd find mostly all games in some way objectionable.

(not getting at you btw, just genuinely curious if there are that many conflict-free games available. Even games like Flower and Journey have direct or implied violence.)

joedick

Makes me want to get a JP Wii before they shut off the store. Sigh. You know, it's games like Rainbow Bell Adventures that really bum me out. I just wanna play games that never came stateside.

You should get one, they're pretty cheap now. I did and I had to pay more for shipping than the actual item.

I got a complete boxed one, but your best bet is to be patient and wait for an auction that is just the system, no hook ups, controllers or boxes. The cables and controllers work across both regions, so if you already have a Wii you should be good to go. You'll save on shipping and the system itself won't take up too much extra space in your house.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Have the new themes appeared for anyone else? Ever since I got my N3DSXL last night, I haven't been able to update the theme shop.

Also seems weird that Sega didn't save the Project Mirai DX theme for a bonus for...say, pre-ordering the game. I wish more 3DS games did that, like Ultimate NES Remix.

Top Bottom