• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - May 2010

gogojira

Apenheul said:
Amazingly charming is what I need, I'll get this one. Thanks!

It's good, just know that toward the later part of the game (lava based world) you'll come to out of reach places that seem impossible to jump to.

You get a note ladder late in the game that helps you up, but the fucking manual doesn't inform you of how to use it or that it is indeed more than just a passive ability. It's easy, just hit up on the d-pad and, uh, I think B ... one of the face buttons anyways.

It'll toss the ladder up and you're good to go.

The game is literally a direct port of the Japanese title and the manual doesn't tell you how to perform the move, so I was left clueless as to what I was doing wrong.

Capndrake said:
VC for Japan next month:

FC:
-Blaster Master
-SD Gundam World: Gachapon Senshi - Scramble Wars

SFC:
-Heisei Shin Onigashima: Kouhen (June 1st)

Neo Geo:
-Karnov's Revenge
-WindJammers

Weird, I thought that Shin Onigashima was already out?

EDIT: I'm dumb never mind, it's actually the remake of part 2 being released this month. Last month was part 1.

GeekyDad said:
Do you know if it's possible to play the game with the Wii Remote turned sideways, or is it Classic Controller only?
SNES games on VC can only be played with the Classic or Gamecube controller.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Bought Fieldrunners on DSiware the other day and I'm straight up addicted to it. No idea how I didn't hear about how awesome it was before. Gets ludicrously hard (almost to the point of cheating) during endless mode. Really great for just $5

Nessus

Love Light Trax and Bit.Trip Runner.

Really pleased with all the retro gaming on WiiWare, XBLA, etc. this gen.

Also picked up 3D Dot Game Heroes, which I've yet to try.

Baconbitz

Banned
NINTENDO DOWNLOAD: SUMMER'S OFF TO A SIZZLING START WITH NEW GAME DOWNLOADS FOR NINTENDO SYSTEMS

May 31, 2010

Temperatures aren't the only thing heating up this season as Nintendo celebrates the unofficial onset of summer with another round of red-hot game downloads. May has been an especially big month for the Nintendo DSiWare™ service, with notable recent releases such as Photo Dojo™, Frogger Returns and Metal Torrent™. This week's additions keep the momentum going strong with awesome hand-held games like X-Scape™ and Hero of Sparta. X-Scape is developed by Q Games, the same team that created Trajectile™ and STARSHIP DEFENSE™. (Also, remember that Photo Dojo™ is available for zero Nintendo DSi Points™ through June 10. The game will require 200 Nintendo DSi Points for download as of June 11.) Of course, Wii™ owners have plenty to be excited about too: New offerings include a Ben 10 Alien Force adventure for the WiiWare™ service and the Virtual Console™ debut of a classic cowboy shooter from the Super NES™ era.

It's also time to announce a new addition to the "Big Name Games" section of the WarioWare™: D.I.Y. series, which features downloadable microgames from some of the industry's most talented figures. Created by Nintendo Power™ magazine staffer Steve Thomason, this week's featured game, Revenge, puts an unusual spin on familiar characters from the Mushroom Kingdom. New "Big Name Games" will be added every Monday through July 26, all available to download for zero Nintendo DSi Points to anyone with broadband Internet access and a copy of either WarioWare: D.I.Y. for the Nintendo DS™ family of systems or WarioWare: D.I.Y. Showcase software for the WiiWare service. Visit the Nintendo Channel on your Wii system today to learn more about these games.

Nintendo DSiWare

X-Scape
Publisher: Nintendo
Players: 1
ESRB Rating: E10+ (Everyone 10 and Older) - Mild Fantasy Violence
Price: 800 Nintendo DSi Points
Description: Your journey through the universe of X-Scape begins as you wake from 10 years of cryosleep, only to find yourself unexpectedly thrown into a fearsome battle against an evil empire bent on your destruction. You'll travel to numerous planets in the Kiisa system and engage in a wide variety of challenges (including optional side quests) in your fight for survival. At your command is VIXIV, an advanced battle tank able to deftly maneuver on land or in the air while loaded with an array of formidable weapons. To help with advice or upgrades to VIXIV's abilities, you've also got your highly capable support bot, VIX-529. Use the touch screen to pilot VIXIV in one of two modes: tunnel mode and free-movement mode. In tunnel mode, you'll navigate through narrow, dangerous tunnels that connect planets. Successful completion of tunnel mode opens free-movement mode, which allows you to freely roam the surfaces of planets and take up missions. Presented in 3-D with a stylishly retro graphic presentation, X-Scape combines continuous action with an epic story to create an experience that's sure to keep players on the edge of their seats.

Hero of Sparta
Publisher: Gameloft
ESRB Rating: T (Teen) - Blood, Violence
Price: 800 Nintendo DSi Points
Description: You wake up alone on an unknown beach to find your boat and entire fleet missing. It's the beginning of an epic odyssey to find out just what game the gods are playing with you, King Argos. Your fate now lies in their hands. Battle like the fierce Spartan warrior you are to avoid a tragic death as you journey through mythical lands and even probe the depths of the Underworld. You will fight the most phenomenal monsters from mythology, defy Minotaurs and the Cyclops, and challenge the gods themselves. Unleash your hero's special powers by performing combos to defeat legions of enemies in thrilling fights. You'll have fabulous equipment and four mythic weapons to upgrade: draw your mythic swords, axe and shield. Fight, explore and solve puzzles - this is more than a basic hack-and-slash. Use the exclusive camera feature to collect epic pictures and become a real hero yourself.

A Topsy Turvy Life: The Turvys Strike Back™
Publisher: TECMO KOEI GAMES
Players: 1-2
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) - Mild Fantasy Violence
Price: 200 Nintendo DSi Points
Description: Turn your Nintendo DSi™ system upside-down and play as the Imperial Armada out to destroy the Earth Defense Force in this topsy-turvy take on arcade shooters. You control the unsung forces of arcade shooters past with three kinds of ships, including giant bosses. Draw a line to send the fighters down. Touch the guards to make them shoot. Make your boss ship fire multiple weapons, including an enormous blast that destroys everything in its way. Two players can even battle each other on one Nintendo DSi system. Will the Earth Defense Force win again? Or will the Imperial Armada find victory at last?

Telegraph Sudoku & Kakuro
Publisher: Sanuk Games
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone)
Description: Play number puzzles from the Telegraph like you've never played them before. Discover a whopping 500 puzzles of multiple types. You're in for many hours of game play. The game includes Sudoku (classic 9x9 sudoku grids with four levels of difficulty), Mini-Sudoku (easier 6x6 grids), Sudoku-X (9x9 grids in which the diagonals must also be filled with all numerals from 1 to 9), Jigsaw Sudoku (9x9 grids with uncommon box shapes) and Kakuro. With its handy interface and intuitive controls, Kakuro transfigures the classic pen-and-paper experience. Notable features include registration of best times in the Hall of Fame, interactive hints to prevent you from getting stuck and an Autosave option to stop and resume a puzzle at any time.

WiiWare

Ben 10 Alien Force: The Rise of Hex
Publisher: Konami Digital Entertainment
ESRB Rating: E10+ (Everyone 10 and Older) - Cartoon Violence
Price: 1,000 Wii Points™
Description: Ben 10 Alien Force: The Rise of Hex follows Ben Tennyson as he finds himself in the middle of Hex's villainous plan to control the Earth. Using the powers of the Omnitrix, players can transform Ben into 10 different alien forms including Big Chill, Spider Monkey and, for the first time ever, Lodestar. Choose from 10 different aliens to platform your way through 15 levels, completing puzzle challenges along the way. Fight menacing villains and bosses in Ben's newest adventure. Experience the world of Ben 10 Alien Force with 3-D characters set in a vibrant, 2-D-styled environment.

Voodoo Dice
Publisher: Ubisoft
Players: 1-4
Price: 1,000 Wii Points
Description: Mixing action and puzzle mechanics in a 3-D world, Voodoo Dice is an innovative, challenging puzzler that invites you to solve puzzles in unique and interesting ways. Encounter a funny and original universe with great style and distinctive vibes. Travel between different maps, defeat your enemies and solve enigmas.

Robocalypse™ - Beaver Defense
Publisher: Vogster Entertainment
ESRB Rating: T (Teen) - Cartoon Violence, Crude Humor, Suggestive Themes
Price: 600 Wii Points
Description: Set in a world of wisecracking, battling robots, Robocalypse - Beaver Defense offers madcap weaponry and uproarious destruction in a "tower defense"-style game. Players must create and strategically position towers to annihilate waves of enemy robots, while player-controlled Hero robots act as mobile weapons units, bringing heavy firepower to all areas of the battlefield. Players can experience the hilarious Story Mode or face the Beaver's never-ending supply of robots in Survival Mode.

Virtual Console

Wild Guns™
Original platform: Super NES
Publisher: Natsume Inc.
Players: 1-2
ESRB Rating: T (Teen) - Animated Violence
Price: 800 Wii Points
Description: Discover the wildest West you've ever seen in this action-packed third-person shooter. The Kid gang and their army of robots have taken over the town. The only ones who can stop them are Clint, a tough-as-nails bounty hunter, and Annie, a beautiful-but-deadly woman with a serious score to settle. Blast your way through villainous outlaws, diabolical robots and towering, screen-filling bosses. Play by yourself or with a friend at your side in the two-player co-op mode. You'll need a sharp eye and quick-on-the-draw reflexes. Fortunately, you've got plenty of moves to help you survive the hail of bullets heading your way. You can dive-roll, jump, double-jump, rope enemies with a lasso and clear the screen with explosive special attacks. Blast apart just about everything in the environment to find guns, bombs and other hidden power-ups. It's up to you to bring justice back to town - or whatever's left of the town when the gun smoke clears.

Nintendo adds new titles to the Nintendo DSi Shop and the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time on Mondays. Users with broadband Internet access can redeem Wii Points or Nintendo DSi Points to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel. Nintendo DSi Points can be purchased in the Nintendo DSi Shop. A Nintendo Points Card™ can be purchased at retail locations. All points from one Nintendo Points Card must be redeemed in either the Nintendo DSi Shop or the Wii Shop Channel. They are not transferable and cannot be divided between the two systems.

Remember that both Wii and Nintendo DSi feature parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit Wii.com or NintendoDSi.com.

JohnTinker said:
Bought Fieldrunners on DSiware the other day and I'm straight up addicted to it. No idea how I didn't hear about how awesome it was before. Gets ludicrously hard (almost to the point of cheating) during endless mode. Really great for just $5
I wish DS kept track of playtime like Wii; I'm curious how many dozens of hours I've put into Fieldrunners by now. I've decided I can count it "won" once I've passed level 100 on each stage on endless on hard, but I've only done that on 2 or 3 of them so far. I find myself playing it while watching TV or listening to podcasts.

just bought penta tentacles, i like it! it is...kind of hard, though.

the visuals are awesome, like pixeljunk eden through a film grain filter, and i love the music. will give this more of a go tomorrow.

and the name rocks, fuck you all. way better than rotogenericsciencyword that barely even has assonance.

sfried

gogojira said:
Anyone pick up X-Scape? I've been looking forward to it for a while, plan to pick it up later this week.
I did. It's awesome.

You might want to play a little of the first game (X) to firgure out some of the backgrounds behind the characters.

sfried

dragonballjoseph said:
I may be picking up X-Scape sometime today. Don't know too much about it, but the gameplay vids I saw a few weeks ago were very promising.
It the sequel to a Japan only game called X for Game Boy that predated Star Fox in terms of Argonaut Software's involvement. In short, it's a tank shooter with various missions and the ability to fly.

Deku

Banned
Wow at Xscape.

Atmospheric, fun, and is a faithful sequel. But it really does remind me of Star Fox more than anything (no surprise there)

The interface is also really cool.

Visually, its extremely clean with some neat effects. Seems like DSi, undeterred, can do a lot more 3D wise than the standard DS.

Dragmire

Downloaded X-Scape the second it was available and I've played it on and off throughout the day. Very fun and stylish. Basically what you'd expect from the videos, but it's a very welcome addition to DSiWare. Seems pretty long and challenging. You can control with either the touch screen or buttons. There's some good variety to the gameplay, too. It has tunnel sections, tank sections where you can also fly, timed missions, turret type missions, and side objectives, etc. It'll Probably be the best 3D shooter for DSiWare for.... a long time... :p

rpmurphy

X-scape is great but I really can't get used to the controls for the tank. Strafing is a pain in the ass. Thorium Wars did that part better, using the D-pad for movement.

4665375742_c2dc59d34d_b.jpg

http://tinycartridge.com/post/658614194/retro-city-rampage-retro-theftendo-screenshot

topramen

someone (non-junior) should really do an OT for X-scape. I feel like it has been overlooked due to releasing during the holiday weekend and it really is an impressive little title. Lots of content, makes you think it was designed as a retail game originally

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
topramen said:
someone (non-junior) should really do an OT for X-scape. I feel like it has been overlooked due to releasing during the holiday weekend and it really is an impressive little title. Lots of content, makes you think it was designed as a retail game originally

If you're up to generating the content for the OP, I'll be the lazy and useless puppet master that puts it up, if you so wish it. I'll even update it periodically if you have any edits/additions. ;p

wsippel

Banned
Buy Rytmik!!!

Really, this thing is pretty much the greatest piece of software ever, on any handheld. It's simply mindblowing. Incredibly fun to just fool around with, but much more than a toy. I'm running out of hyperboles, but it simply is that awesome. If you're even remotely interested in music, these are eight bucks spend well.

No June thread yet? Anyway, until that gets made, here's today's PR:
NINTENDO DOWNLOAD: FUR, FINS AND FIERY TAILS BRING FEROCIOUS FUN TO NINTENDO FANS

June 7, 2010

From tidying up the galaxy to trying out life as a meerkat, this week's new game downloads from Nintendo offer a wealth of wonderfully unusual activities. For the Nintendo DSiWare™ service, Flametail™ invites players to incinerate all manner of space garbage, while Don't Cross The Line puts timeless puzzle-solving thrills in the palms of their hands. Also, Nintendo DSiWare users have just a few more days to download the hilarious hand-held battle game Photo Dojo™ for zero Nintendo DSi Points™. (Starting June 11, the game will require 200 Nintendo DSi Points for download.) Meanwhile, fresh additions to the WiiWare™ service include the new fishing-simulation sequel Reel Fishing® Challenge II and the furry fun of Lead the Meerkats™.

A new week also brings a new addition to the "Big Name Games" section of the WarioWare™: D.I.Y. series, which features downloadable microgames from some of the industry's most talented figures. Nintendo Power™ magazine staffer Chris Hoffman is the creator of this week's featured game, Power Surge, which asks players to locate and match various Nintendo Power staffers. New "Big Name Games" will be added every Monday through July 26, all available to download for zero Nintendo DSi Points to anyone with broadband Internet access and a copy of either WarioWare: D.I.Y. for the Nintendo DS™ family of systems or WarioWare: D.I.Y. Showcase software for the WiiWare service. Visit the Nintendo Channel on your Wii system today to learn more about these games.

Nintendo DSiWare

Flametail
Publisher:
Nintendo
Price: 500 Nintendo DSi Points
Description: The year is 2099, and the solar system is littered with space junk. Our best hope for a tidier cosmos is to send the Flametail incinerator pod from planet to planet for a little fiery cleanup. Take control of the Flametail pod and start winding your way through obstacles, then watch as your flaming tail ignites blocks of troublesome debris and eventually eliminates them. Be careful not to work yourself into a dead end, and don't let the hazard line that follows you catch up to your tail or reach any leftover garbage. Luckily, you can find useful items (such as bombs or score multipliers) along your path and earn special power-ups (like radar or a missile) by collecting letter panels to spell particular words. Effectively burn up the floating garbage in the game's two modes - Space Tour and Time Limit - and earn new graphics and other surprises as you progress. The straightforward controls make it possible for anyone to take on the job of restoring space to pristine condition. Do you have what it takes to make your way to the outer reaches of the solar system?

Don't Cross The Line
Publisher:
Aksys Games
Description: Don't Cross The Line is a puzzle game in which the player must connect lines to various boxes, from one identical box to another, without crossing the lines they draw in the process. There are roughly 50 stages in all. Depending on how quickly you complete each stage, you'll be awarded with a bronze, silver or gold award. To unlock additional stages, players must achieve a certain ranking in previous stages. Can you outwit the puzzles at hand and receive gold awards all around?

Fire Panic
Publisher:
Playtainment
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) - Mild Cartoon Violence
Description: As a futuristic firefighter in Fire Panic, you face the continuous challenge of extinguishing more and more fires that keep flaring up. To do this, use your Nintendo DSi™ stylus to mark the fastest route for your fire engine to reach each blaze. The engine will follow the line you draw and automatically douse each fire it passes along the way. It's a thrilling experience every time you play.

Flips: The Magic Faraway Tree
Publisher:
Electronic Arts
Price: 500 Nintendo DSi Points
Description: Jo, Bessie and Fanny take their cousin Rick on an adventure he'll never forget to the magic Faraway Tree, where he meets Moon-Face, Silky the fairy and Saucepan Man. They visit all the different lands at the top of the Faraway Tree, including the Land of Spells, the crazy Land of Topsy-Turvy and the Land of Do-As-You-Please, where the children ride a runaway train. The new Flips range brings modern classics to the Nintendo DSiWare service. Readers can collect, solve, interact and learn as they progress through various stories and challenges.

WiiWare

Reel Fishing Challenge II
Publisher:
Natsume Inc.
Price: 500 Wii Points™
Description: Reel Fishing is back! This sequel to the smash-hit fishing game takes you to a pristine new freshwater environment teeming with fish that look and move just like the real thing. You'll go after these wily lunkers with a huge variety of lures and refined controls that provide the most natural and realistic fishing action yet. You'll need every advantage you can get as Reel Fishing Challenge II's 30 varied missions put your angling abilities to the ultimate test. This stunning, true-to-life fishing experience will have you hooked.

Lead the Meerkats
Publisher: Lapland Studio
ESRB Rating: E10+ (Everyone 10 and Older) - Animated Blood, Mild Violence
Description: In Lead the Meerkats, you are a young meerkat with a lot to accomplish. You've been separated from your pack, and the time has come for you to form your own meerkat pack. Are you ready for the challenge? Name your pack and its meerkats. Dig burrow networks and enlarge your territory. Forage for food and grow your pack size. Stay on guard and be ready to make quick decisions. Run to the safety of the burrows or fight your enemies. Go head-to-head with a rival meerkat pack. Lead your pack to victory and rule the savanna. Lead the Meerkats is the first game to simulate the exciting life of meerkats, offering fun game play for animal lovers of all ages.

Zoo Disc Golf
Publisher:
Sonalysts, Inc.
Players: 1-4
Description: Each zoo enclosure is a "hole" in the Zoo Disc Golf course. The objective of the game is to get your disc into each "goal" using the fewest number of throws - the "goal" being the Emergency Animal Control station in each enclosure. A throw of the disc is equivalent to a stroke in golf and counts as one point. Available characters are the Rockhopper Penguin, Kangaroo, Panda and Meerkat. The Zoo Disc Golf course is made up of 18 holes. Each player is allowed a maximum of 10 strokes on each hole. When players reach 10 strokes, they move to the next hole with those 10 points added to their score.

Nintendo adds new titles to the Nintendo DSi Shop and the Wii™ Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time on Mondays. Users with broadband Internet access can redeem Wii Points or Nintendo DSi Points to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel. Nintendo DSi Points can be purchased in the Nintendo DSi Shop. A Nintendo Points Card™ can be purchased at retail locations. All points from one Nintendo Points Card must be redeemed in either the Nintendo DSi Shop or the Wii Shop Channel. They are not transferable and cannot be divided between the two systems.

Remember that both Wii and Nintendo DSi feature parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit Wii.com or NintendoDSi.com.

flametail looks kind of awesome, i wonder who's the developer

edit: ok this is apparently one of the three games that composes MaBoShi's Arcade for WiiWare.

developed by a company called Mindware, i don't know which Mindware this is but i'm going with some small developer out of japan rather than mindware the toy company or mindware the european fps troop

edit 2: i see you guys beat me to it

tetrisgrammaton said:
flametail looks kind of awesome, i wonder who's the developer
It's most likely developed by Mindware, since it's an updated version of the square game from their Wiiware release Maboshi's Arcade (which was excellent).

Gilby

nincompoop said:
It's most likely developed by Mindware, since it's an updated version of the square game from their Wiiware release Maboshi's Arcade (which was excellent).

HOLY MEATBALLS YES!!!

HadesGigas said:
Seriously? There's a free version on the Wii Homebrew Browser that just got put up last week. It wasn't even that good honestly, there were a ton of levels included but the physics are annoying and made it a chore to play. I could never envision spending any money on it.

PS we should probably be using the June thread by now.

Top Bottom