• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS Games in HD

I'm an archivist with tons and tons of games in my collection. Just recommend a game.

The game looks GREAT in HD.

Can you grab any good shots of Optimus?

Man, even a cleaned-up Inazuma Eleven-style 3DS port of both versions in one would be day one. Activision, why don't you want my money? :(

Same goes for Rayman DS, the 3DS game being a DC port as I said was worthless as its main appeal was it running in perfect 60fps, the DS version is very close to it and should have ZERO trouble running in 60fps on 3DS.

Level 5 set a great precedent, why did no one follow?

Idolmaster as shown is also a huge improvement that seems so unreal on DS, how the FUCK did Namco do that?!

Does Inazuma Eleven run in 60fps on 3DS in 2D or even 3D? Any AA in 2D?

It's a classic case of Stockholm syndrome. People are so accustomed to using controllers saddled with a second joystick that they can't understand/accept that the second joystick is worthless in 99.999% of all games. If you want to control the camera angle, a gyroscope and a recenter button gets the job done a lot more efficiently than waggling the right joystick around.
Who knew that people's preferences was actually Stockholm syndrome? Thanks for clearing that up.

Can you grab any good shots of Optimus?

Man, even a cleaned-up Inazuma Eleven-style 3DS port of both versions in one would be day one. Activision, why don't you want my money? :(

Same goes for Rayman DS, the 3DS game being a DC port as I said was worthless as its main appeal was it running in perfect 60fps, the DS version is very close to it and should have ZERO trouble running in 60fps on 3DS.

Level 5 set a great precedent, why did no one follow?

Idolmaster as shown is also a huge improvement that seems so unreal on DS, how the FUCK did Namco do that?!

Does Inazuma Eleven run in 60fps on 3DS in 2D or even 3D? Any AA in 2D?

Sure.

yBZJYjN.png
SvVkbI1.png

NewGame

Banned
Dementium: The Ward
Dementium II

Hmm, I feel like the low-res screed shots are more befitting to the style for some reason. It's almost like the grain-filter they put on the Japanese Silent Hill games.

sh-screen-compare.png

But I guess horror games can get away with that sort of thing, the less you see the better.

Indies should really move from 16bit to low poly
Seriously. There are reasons why Deus Ex and Morrowind are so massive in level content. It's because they use simple assets. It doesn't take forever to rig a complex scripting.
Yes and yes.

It would be great to see a low poly chibi 3D action RPG styled like these with an Elder Scrolls style huge world and number of things to do (and without having to voice things, they could even be more content filled and meaningfully complex than latter Es games).

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Just a quick screencap from the video above:

Oh goodness, I want to see more. This was my number one request after seeing this thread, after everyone else did the obvious stuff.

Talk about a world of difference.
I've always wanted to play this - is it any good?

Erm, no not really. It looks absolutely gorgeous (especially for a DS game) and the music is just wonderful, but the game is incredibly repetitive and uninteresting. All show and no content, really.

I would love to see how
The_Wizard_of_Oz_-_Beyond_the_Yellow_Brick_Road_Coverart.png

Would appear on this ....

Oh god someone do this one

When I say someone I mean Aquamarine

Oh goodness, I want to see more. This was my number one request after seeing this thread, after everyone else did the obvious stuff.

Erm, no not really. It looks absolutely gorgeous (especially for a DS game) and the music is just wonderful, but the game is incredibly repetitive and uninteresting. All show and no content, really.

Okay, okay. I'm generally doing them in order, but three people requested this so...

Here are a few shots of the main characters. You can see how much more detail we get when rendered in HD.

And some cutscene shots with moody, atmospheric lighting.

A few interior shots. Look at the detail we get from her character model.

But the most noticeable benefit comes from the sharp corners that are revealed in this book.

Some environmental gameplay shots with a battle thrown in there. My favourite are the beautiful water reflections.

WillyFive

Man, that Wizard of Oz game.

You give a DS game a higher resolution and texture filtering, and it becomes a Dreamcast game.

Platy

Glorious as expected.

I remember the game being pretty "meh" but I played so much because I loved how it looked !

Can you please try Inazuma Eleven?

I'd like to see this too, please.

Inazuma Eleven looks FANTASTIC. All of those little details that Level 5 put into the game? Unlike Ni no Kuni, they're not pre-rendered into the background.

Seriously...some of the interior shots makes it look almost like a PS2 game.

Take a look at some of the details that get revealed:

Kira Kira Pop Princess (ie; Pinky Street: Kira Kira Music Hour in Japan) would be interesting if anyone's got it. Had basic cel-shaded character models that should lend themselves well to the emulator's magic.

ZpB9wK5.jpg

Shiiiieeettt, I remember wanting to import this back in the day, but Play-Asia failed to secure enough stock. Now I want to try and get it again. =x

The difference between the two is SHOCKING.

Radiant Historia, Tales of Hearts, GhostTrick (for checking if the characters and movable items may be using polygons instead being prerendered). Thanks!

What's interesting about Ghost Trick is that the characters / objects move in a way that you would think they would be 3D.

Unfortunately, it seems that what happened is that Capcom pre-rendered all of their movements and incorporated them into the game as 2D sprites.

Analysing it a bit closer, everything is rendered onto a 2D background layer.

So when you re-render Ghost Trick in HD:

Absolutely nothing changes. No benefit whatsoever.

What a shame. This game would have looked really, really cool if it wasn't pre-rendered.

Madao

It's been posted already, but damn. Mario Kart. Not too bad.

Native DS Resolution:
ZMlGQht.png

Native DS Resolution:
BNjFhp5.png

Native DS Resolution:
76dxLlk.png

the faraway characters look like they're censored in the original resolution shots.

crossing fingers that nintendo increases the resolution of DS games when they come out on Wii U. if the Wii could handle N64 games in 480p, the WiiU should be able to do these in 720p at least.

What's interesting about Ghost Trick is that the characters / objects move in a way that you would think they would be 3D.

Unfortunately, it seems that what happened is that Capcom pre-rendered all of their movements and incorporated them into the game as 2D sprites.

I have always wondered this! I thought they looked too smooth to have been done in 3D, but they're also too smooth to have that many frames of 2D animation, so I was never sure.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Absolutely nothing changes. No benefit whatsoever.

What a shame. This game would have looked really, really cool if it wasn't pre-rendered.
I wouldn't really characterize it as pre-rendering. It's more like rotoscoping. And it allowed for plenty of hand-animated flares to be put on top, too, like the buttery-smooth billowing and flaring of Cabanela's coat and scarf. Couldn't do that nearly so well in low-poly 3D.

It's only a shame in the context of this thread. GT has some of the best sprite animation ever, and definitely the most varied over the course of a game.

Lijik

The locations in COP look great in HD, but playing it that way has got to feel really abstract because the objects reveal all of the draw distance tricks they pulled that go unnoticed in low res. Really interesting!

Makes me wonder how low poly you can make an object and still have it recognizable at such a low res. Probably something some indie dev will play with if theres ever a big low poly movement in that space

Requesting the following

• [*]Archaic Sealed Heat - 2D sprites on 3D background
  • Kidou Senshi Gundam 00 - full 3D
  • Jet Impulse - full 3D

Archaic Sealed Heat is somewhat improved by the move to HD rendering.

Unfortunately, there are a ton of fancy FMV cutscenes rendered with MobiClip's proprietary technology, and they do NOT scale well to HD. I believe Archaic Sealed Heat holds more CG video than any other DS game, and it really shows.

Examples:

And to make matters worse, every character, boss, monster, and attack in the battle system is 100% pre-rendered 3D.

Some examples:

So the final results are underwhelming.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
WOW at Wizard of Oz!

and Metroid Prime Hunters!

and some of the others too..

How about Ouendan? If I remember correctly there were some parts in that game that had more than just polygonal characters on a 2D background.
edit: D'oh! it was in the OP.. Any other potentially impressive looking games?
GRID DS maybe? Mario Hoops 3 on 3?

Top Bottom