• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's unreleased DS realistic air shooter; DS-Air

Edit: I was wrong, it did come out as Jet Impulse in JP-only. But hey, you get nice assets in the end. :p

I have some press assets and I stumbled upon DS-Air, which I remember hearing of before that it never came out.

So why not share the perfect quality assets with all of you? :)

i712JmLSKGmVB.jpg
ibqG68JclSgp9V.jpg

ibwqcpnqtkyRl5.jpg
iuJvWAA6HeeRy.jpg

DS Air (temporary name)

Format: Nintendo DS™
Launch Date: TBA
ESRB: RP (Rating Pending)
Game Type: Flight Simulation
Accessories: TBA
Players: 1-4 via DS Local Area Network or Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection (planned)
Developer: Nintendo

KEY INFORMATION
Players take their elite strike fighters to the skies and hunt down a mad dictator before he takes over the world.
• As Nintendo’s first realistic flight shooter on Nintendo DS, DS Air lets players customize their fighters with a state-of-the-art weapon loadout.
• Send wave after wave of enemy fighters to their doom in dogfights over land, sea and air.
• Meet a wingman for co-op play and soar to victory over Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection.

Game storyline: After being driven from his seat of power, a vicious dictator has fled to a remote, mountainous region to plan a military uprising. Mysteriously, the opposing army’s forces have received reinforcements, leading to speculation that an unknown nation is lending military assistance to the uprising. An ace pilot in an elite strike-fighter wing has been tasked with crushing the opposition forces and returning peace to the troubled region.

I remember reading that Steel Diver was also a DS demo back in the day and they chose to revive that, why that and not this? :(

Huh, I've never heard of this one.

Nintendo's repeated grounding of attempted new IP last generation was a real missed opportunity. Was Project H.A.M.M.E.R really in that bad a shape? What happened to that astronaut game that was teased?

Ridley327

This actually did come out as Jet Impulse, as a Japan-only release. I understand that it's fairly English-friendly, so you can import it.

jokkir

They released it in Japan and was quite fun. I can't comment how it compares to other dog fighting games like Ace Combat but was nice especially since it was on DS. Nice modes, though I remember Shingle Player ended abruptly.

rokero

I would've bought this in fact give it to me on the eShop right now an I will buy it nintendo needs to make more games like this

Ridley327

I actually wondered about that, too, a few days ago. Anyone?

Cosmic Walker was unfortunately cancelled. It's a shame, too, since a space take on Endless Ocean is something I've been wanting to see attempted.

I think it got cancelled because the studio that was working on it (Gaia, the company founded by Cozy Okada of SMT fame) shut down before it could be completed.

bryehn

This was released in Japan under the name Jet Impulse. I bought it from Play-Asia for like 10 bucks. It was pretty good but depth/altitude were tough to gauge

Huh, I've never heard of this one.

Nintendo's repeated grounding of attempted new IP last generation was a real missed opportunity. Was Project H.A.M.M.E.R really in that bad a shape? What happened to that astronaut game that was teased?

RIP Project H.A.M.M.E.R and Cosmic Walker.....and Zangeki no Reginleiv's chances of being localized :(

Hmm, with Jet Impulse and Steel Diver, are Nintendo doing something for the future? Are they possibly creating games based on military combat as part of a larger picture? Will there be a military shooter on the way? A coast guard game perhaps? A game where you play as all 5 branches of the (US) armed forces?

Or....maybe a new Battalion Wars? :p

Top Bottom