• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS Games in HD

I was just reminded of how much Luigi's Raceway from Double Dash blew my mind in Mario Kart DS, seeing a GC level brought to the DS, DAMN!

Anyone willing to grab some 480p shots of it? Hopefully ones to compare with the original on GC directly.

bennyc12

4kOqAIF.jpg

The newest beta of the DraStic (Android) emulator renders DS games in hi-res. The resolution isn't adjustable and seems to be locked at around 3x or 4x 5x native DS resolution.

The best part is that everything runs at 100% speed on my Nexus 5 and 9--the 5 isn't exactly top of the line these days.

RootCause

The newest beta of the DraStic (Android) emulator renders DS games in hi-res. The resolution isn't adjustable and seems to be locked at around 4x or 5x native DS resolution.

The best part is that everything runs at 100% speed on my Nexus 5 and 9--the 5 isn't exactly top of the line these days.
Does it look like the image on the right on your nexus? Dayum!

OmegaDL50

Seems like an interest project.

Although, there is some obvious pixelation in effect. I was kind of hoping it was similar to the increasing native resolution that PCSX2 has.

EDIT: Oh so this IS higher that native. Interesting. I might need to check this out a bit more.

bennyc12

Seems like an interest project.

Although, there is some obvious pixelation in effect. I was kind of hoping it was similar to the increasing native resolution that PCSX2 has.

Yeah the feature is still in beta, so I'd expect that it's probably going to be more customizable. If you follow the mobile emulation scene, I haven't found any emulators that run DS games at an acceptable speed. it's a miracle that this app even runs games at full speed, let alone at an increased resolution.

Edit: And yeah, I didn't point it out, but the left is native res, and the right is the increased internal res.

RootCause

Yeah, most games, as people in this thread can attest, still look pretty bad due to how low-res the textures are. That said, the resolution bump makes a huge difference.
It looks quite good to me. Makes me want to go out and get an android tablet. I'm still quite behind with my gs2.

bennyc12

It looks quite good to me. Makes me want to go out and get an android tablet. I'm still quite behind with my gs2.

Yeah, a bigger screen lets you play stylus games without blocking half of the screen with your hand. The problem with a lot of those games though is that the resolution was pretty terrible when you blew up the potato a resolution DS screens to fill the tablet screen.

I'm looking forward to going back to Phantom Hourglass.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
That Drastic Android emulator does look a lot better than vanilla, but it's still not really close to DeSmume's higher res emulation.

nkApi14.png
Ya4YCK3.png

me0wish

We need an option that allows us to map analog and buttons onto the touch screen. I want to play Mario 64 HD with out crappy D pad controls,

Not used drastic for a few months but i'm happy to see they added in higher res rendering, it's a great and powerful emulator as it is.

Vorg

Banned
We need an option that allows us to map analog and buttons onto the touch screen. I want to play Mario 64 HD with out crappy D pad controls,

Doesn't Drastic already allow you to do this? At least I thought that option was present.

Oemenia

Banned
Does anyone know if there's any way to get texture filtering? I have an Nvidia GPU, any chance through the drivers?

Im kinda late to this thread.

Playing the DS games with that special HD resolution is great.

But is there anyway to make it widescreen?

dogen

Is this still limited to 1024x768? I would've hoped they could get past that limitation by now.

It's still limited to 2x2 resolution, if that's what you mean. The emulator does all rendering in software on your CPU(most likely for better accuracy), this is in addition to handling emulation of the DSs processors and other components. Any more than 4x the resolution would probably too much for most phones.

It's not exactly comparable to the high resolution mode in desmume as that not only runs on much faster machines, but also uses the GPU for rendering. I think drastic is a much more impressive piece of software, even though it doesn't always provide as good of an experience.

I hope one of these DS emulators eventually adds Steam Controller support; the ability to take advantage of the touchpads would be great.

Mr Swine

Banned
Does anyone have pictures of DS games with filtering? I want to see how the games would look like compared to N64 and PS games using filtering on emus

It's not exactly comparable to the high resolution mode in desmume as that not only runs on much faster machines, but also uses the GPU for rendering. I think drastic is a much more impressive piece of software, even though it doesn't always provide as good of an experience.

Do you think higher resolutions like 1080 and 4k can eventually be possible using DS emulators on PC?

I'm wondering if there's any particular problem preventing it or if it simply hasn't been implemented yet.

I'm not trying to undermine how much time and effort such a task requires I'd just like to know if it's something that may be possible eventually :D

dogen

Do you think higher resolutions like 1080 and 4k can eventually be possible using DS emulators on PC?

I'm wondering if there's any particular problem preventing it or if it simply hasn't been implemented yet.

I'm not trying to undermine how much time and effort such a task requires I'd just like to know if it's something that may be possible eventually :D

My guess is that it just hasn't been implemented. Then again, I've never written a ds emulator, so maybe there are other issues or complications that make it difficult.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

I think its the sort of thing where it can be implemented for arbitrary resolution support, it just hasn't been done yet.

WillyFive

Does anyone have pictures of DS games with filtering? I want to see how the games would look like compared to N64 and PS games using filtering on emus

I imagine these games will look Dreamcast quality with texture filtering; especially the best looking ones.

rjc571

Banned
I imagine these games will look Dreamcast quality with texture filtering; especially the best looking ones.

Not really. DC had a lot more video memory which allowed for much higher resolution textures which completely blow away what the DS could do even with texture filtering in the mix, and could draw far more vertices than the DS's hard coded 6144 per frame limit, with more advanced lighting shadowing etc. etc.

WillyFive

Not really. DC had a lot more video memory which allowed for much higher resolution textures which completely blow away what the DS could do even with texture filtering in the mix, and could draw far more vertices than the DS's hard coded 6144 per frame limit, with more advanced lighting shadowing etc. etc.

So? This isn't a thread about DS games on it's original hardware; it's about emulation at higher resolutions and with filtering added. And besides, better knowledge of graphics and modern techniques allow developers to get better visuals on hardware that is not as powerful.

Top Bottom