• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo @ E3 - No Direct, Just Zelda Treehouse Stream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
For me, Zelda is all about dungeons.

I don't like spending too much time going between dungeons. Some amount of time is appropriate, but for the most part, the meat and potatoes of the game is the dungeoning.

Which is fine, people can like whatever they like, but it's just another log to toss onto the "Too many people like different fundamental aspects of Zelda" fire I've been burning for a while.

Zelda has always been about everything for me. Exploration, combat, puzzle solving, dungeons, endearing NPCs and the minimalist fairy tale stories. Sometimes Disney esque, other times more Brother's Grimm. I like a fine balance between them all, to great a focus on one and lack on another detracts from the game for me. That was my big issue with SS in a lot of ways and why OoT/MM are still probably my favorites in the series. You get enough of everything in them.

dungeons are my least favorite part of 3D Zelda but I loved them in the original NES title
they were such a cool key part of the overworld
you had to find them and discover how to open them

hope this open world helps bring back that feeling of discovery

emb

I don't like spending too much time going between dungeons. Some amount of time is appropriate, but for the most part, the meat and potatoes of the game is the dungeoning.

Which is fine, people can like whatever they like, but it's just another log to toss onto the "Too many people like different fundamental aspects of Zelda" fire I've been burning for a while.
I'm right there with you. The dungeons are great.

What I like the most though is the reward of finding a dungeon and getting to dig into it. The exploration is exciting because of that. Then I'll find something in there that opens up more exploration, and both sides just build on themselves and it's great.

I do hope they keep the out of dungeon sections more as self directed exploration. I think that's going to be hard to make good on if there's a truly large world though. Zelda 1 and 3 were about the right balance of size and lack of direction to me.

MLH

I don't like spending too much time going between dungeons. Some amount of time is appropriate, but for the most part, the meat and potatoes of the game is the dungeon.

Yeah, I've been thinking what makes Zelda - "Zelda" lately too and I agree, my favourite games have been the GBC Zelda's & ALTTP. Every part of those games felt like a puzzle even the over-world: reaching the first dungeon, getting a useful item, using that item on the over-world to progress to the next dungeon. Listening to NPCs would offer clues to the next area; everything had a purpose and they were so tightly designed.
I don't mind what OOT did and the other 3D zeldas, but the over-worlds always felt like less of a puzzle and more of a vast empty space to traverse in order to reach a new place of interest.
If this game manages to match the style of Zelda I & II i'll be quite happy, those games had huge over-worlds but each screen felt like it had a purpose, hidden (useful!) items, caves with NPCs spouting riddles for you to figure out.

Ansatz

EDIT: In fact, the puzzles in Zelda are so damn easy that I'd rebound the question and ask how anyone who plays the game specifically for that element could enjoy it.

Zelda is about environmental interacton; studying your surroundings, noticing patterns and posing questions like "what happens if I..."

While swimming you come across a bridge and at this point most people assume it's a dead end so they turn around.
bottle3.gif

But what happens if you decide swim up to it?
03.png

Discovering this secret area was mindblowing in and of itself, and talking to the NPC rewards you with a bottle i.e. a significant item that has a meaningful gameplay function.

Another thing that is unique to Zelda games is the deep level of interactivity with objects in the world; In OoT the main purpose of signposts is to read its contents, but what happens if I slash it with my sword? I mean it looks kinda fragile... a-ha! it breaks in half! but not only that, the shape of the resulting wooden planks depend on which direction the sword was slahed in. Then Nintendo decided that wasn't enough, so they placed a signpost right in front of a pond and as a kid it made me think... what happens if I cut this one? Well it turns out the developers went out of their way to program actual floating physics because yes, the plank actually floats on the water. In other words, the signpost you cut off with the sword interacts with the water in a way you don't expect to see in a video game.

Red

Ansatz, you're overselling the bridge thing. It was a cool discovery but tons of games played with the same idea, even years before.

The big change from LoZ > LttP secrets were that they became more well integrated with the game world. Nintendo made an effort to clue players into secrets instead of leaving them to "bomb every rock" as they had a few years earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom