• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo establishing "unified development headquarters" on 2/16

LOCK

.....No first party software team expansion? Ok :(

We will know when they release their yearly earnings. Should be middle of April. They list how many employees they have and any increases over the previous year.

Unless they tell us in an off hand statement like how we know about Monolith Soft's two new teams, and Retro's expansion.

Does no one see this article as a cost-cutting measure?

Having worked on Nintendo's consoles, there's really not much difference between 3DS and Wii U to begin with.

Was thinking about this the other day. Seems almost certain their next console will be some kind of merging of the 3DS and Wii U philosophies. A handheld that also connects to the TV to act as a console.

That or they'll make their own cell phone. (Or both?)

More likely the former IMO.

I created a thread hypothesizing on the thought that Nintendo would be doing this and got limited responses or was laughed off but it truly is the only thing that makes sense. It doesn't have to be seen as a loss in hardware sales if the new device captures a market the size of both the 3DS and Wii U combined. While that's a lofty goal, combining the two would eliminate the major problems that Nintendo has always had - software dry spells.

Is it possible that Nintendo had foreseen this even before the Wii and knew that by slowing graphical power on the home console would allow for the handheld sector and console sector to eventually cross in terms of horse power to allow for a singular device? If so, and the future device takes off, that's some incredible fucking foresight.

I don't think we'll see a hybrid in terms of hardware but I think in terms software since Hardware interaction will be less complicated and more homogenous in the manner that some games might share a cloud save data for example like Animal Crossing for instance.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
The building looks about 4x the size of their current HQ, which can be seen at the bottom right of that picture.

I created a thread hypothesizing on the thought that Nintendo would be doing this and got limited responses or was laughed off but it truly is the only thing that makes sense. It doesn't have to be seen as a loss in hardware sales if the new device captures a market the size of both the 3DS and Wii U combined. While that's a lofty goal, combining the two would eliminate the major problems that Nintendo has always had - software dry spells.

Is it possible that Nintendo had foreseen this even before the Wii and knew that by slowing graphical power on the home console would allow for the handheld sector and console sector to eventually cross in terms of horse power to allow for a singular device? If so, and the future device takes off, that's some incredible fucking foresight.
Who you telling lol..If they thought like that then Idk what to say..

Probably not the best game to release in the US right now, :/

Although I hope it's the "Shooter" colliquism Japan apparently uses to refer to photography and it's a Pokemon Snap-like game using the Wii U controller as a camera.
Yeah knowing Nintendo a gun like peripheral aimed for all ages might be out of the question.

Man I hope Nintendo hurries up with that google maps app. I wanna see NCL HQ with my own eyes

Google App is due in January still, according to Iwata. I imagine that NSMBU DLC will be either the end of this month or next month. We also are expecting Game & Wario and Luigi's Mansion release dates for Japan at least soon.

I really just want to play Pikmin 3

thefro

Makes a lot of sense, since 3DS & Wii U development are a lot more similar than DS & Wii. This way you can train everyone on doing both, maybe have some cross-platform games as well.

You don't see many 2D/sprite-based 3DS games like you did with the DS.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
An FPS with Miis, maybe? That's an ... interesting direction to take...

Not really, look at face raiders and we could see a potential Wii U mii shooting game of sorts.

IrishNinja

bout time! as a 3DS & WU owner, id like to see them interact more. i missed out on GBA + GC, and my wii & DS did next to nothing with each other

Good news!

The few-games that utilized the GBA-GCN connectivity were pretty neat, like Crystal Chronicles and Four Swords Adventure (Wind Waker a bit too),

FSA looked so good...what did WW do though? i also recall the first AC letting me get to an island with a new kind of food on it

Handheld-console linking could also refer to the upcoming Nintendo Network/Miiverse integration with 3DS.

Perhaps they're actually going to dare for universal login after all, ala PS3 / Vita having unified PSN account, friends list, etc.

god, that'd be so good to see, long overdue

This new arrangement might potentially mean that Yoshio Sakamoto's developers get a bit more man power now.

id love to see this as well

also, i'm still unclear: to what extent is the next Smash sakurai's game, vs namco's?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
FSA looked so good...what did WW do though? i also recall the first AC letting me get to an island with a new kind of food on it
Wind Waker had the Tingle Tuner, GBA Player could drop bombs and buy items.

Oh yeah, forgot about Animal Crossing...the Island was pretty cool too since you could use it to score easy money.

Was thinking about this the other day. Seems almost certain their next console will be some kind of merging of the 3DS and Wii U philosophies. A handheld that also connects to the TV to act as a console.

That or they'll make their own cell phone. (Or both?)

More likely the former IMO.

At this stage that's all I want. Have some kind of receiver dock and have the handheld as the unit. It's ideal.

JordanN

Banned
Not to mention that mobile chips will have handily surpassed Wii U by the time Nintendo is ready to phase out the 3DS.
It's been 6 years and mobiles still haven't surpassed the Xbox 360. I'm not sure what magical boost is going to happen in the next 3-4 years and even then we're looking at what? 2x more power? That's pretty weak compared to what a home console solution could offer in the same space.

Edit: 2x may be generous considering the battery/low wattage of mobile devices.

Snakeyes

^ Here are Nvidia's (maybe a bit exaggerated) projections;

DSC_6317_575px.jpg

If this keeps up, I wouldn't be surprised if mobile chips reached a satisfactory level of performance for Nintendo in about 5 years.

Michan

DSC_6317_575px.jpg

If this keeps up, I wouldn't be surprised if mobile chips reached a satisfactory level of performance for Nintendo in about 5 years.

Looks like the high end chips will be at a satisfactory level of performance this/next year, based on that chart.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The Nikkei report says that the teams will now work together to share tech and expertise, and investigate future platforms that would satisfy both its DS and WIi audiences in one

Is this MCV's take or does the original report communicate this?

No more separate home box in the future?

I suppose with the way Nintendo home hardware has been the last couple of generations, a future portable that can serve as a similarly powerful system connected to your TV would make sense.

AzaK

I have no idea what business forecasts Nintendo would make in order to make a hybrid machine and essentially cannibalise hardware sales. At the moment there must be some significant overlap between handheld and console owners. They would lose that.

I also personally think merging into one hybrid device would be awful. I don't like their handheld machines, or more specifically the games that come to them, so I would yet again be putting up with a sacrifice of potential power for portability which I don't need.

Glass Rebel

They should have done this way earlier but I guess they didn't expect to fall flat on their faces after the Wii and DS.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

DSC_6317_575px.jpg

It wont, there is a big wall that the mobile space is facing in for of battery life.

eternalb

Even fewer harder announcements to get excited for. I dunno, this is kind of disappointing as the new cycles are generally the most exciting times, and being deprives of half of Nintendo's just seems...wrong.

Jackano

TWW was great with GBA-GC connectivity, it wasn't just Tingle allowing to buy bombs at any time. That said, that wasn't cheap (if you are early in the game), but we usually complain about how useless the rupees are in Zelda.

You can drop the bomb anywhere in the room (2D map on the GBA).
Tingle also draw some arrows, helping to find your way on the GBA map. I remember this helped me the first time in the Ganon castle.
And there was also a fetch quest with one of the Tingle brothers.

Jackano

Also, does someone have a google map link to see the building "in real life" insted of the picture please?

And unifiying teams != hybrid system... It seems some people quickly jump into conclusions here.
It should have helped before doing the Miiverse, to release it on 3DS at the same time.

DSC_6317_575px.jpg

0.1->1->10->100->1000

Yeah, must have been really hard for phones to make that 0.1->1 jump

just the type of intellectually dishonest chart I've come to expect

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
According to this:
http://gamasutra.com/view/news/1848...console_divisions_next_month.php#.UPaHKEd5WBy

In a bid to hasten game development on both its 3DS and Wii U video game systems, Nintendo plans to merge its handheld and console divisions next month, Nintendo has confirmed to Gamasutra.

On February 16, the Japanese publishing giant will bring the separate divisions together, opening a new unified sector that will include 130 console engineers and 150 handhand engineers.

A Nikkei report (subscription required) also states that Nintendo plans to open a new $340 million facility next to its headquarters in Kyoto, with the aim to open the new building by the end of the year.

The hope is that by merging these two divisions, the company will also be able to speed up its hardware development cycle to better compete with tablets and smartphones.

Nintendo wants to release new consoles more often to compete with smartphones and tablets.
2-3 years before 4ds?
It's really strange imo since nintendo never wanted to make the most powerful handhelds.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I really don't get how people conclude that they are going to create a hybrid console now.

Depends what the original report said.

MCV relayed it as:

The Nikkei report says that the teams will now work together to share tech and expertise, and investigate future platforms that would satisfy both its DS sand WIi audiences in one - the very thing critics of the firm's strategy say has been done by new cheaper tablets.

Others say it's just about making their handhelds and home hardware work better together.

Would be curious where the emphasis is in the original report.

Top Bottom