• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo fans (or 2ch reader), do you know where are these stuff come from ??

Chittagong

Gold Member
The stuff I would most hope to see from Nintendo's vaults

• Super Mario FX prototype (scrapped and evolved into SM64)
• Nintendo Super CD game prototypes (scrapped)
• Hardware design of Super NES Super CD device (scrapped)
• Super Mario 64-2 prototype (scrapped, evolved via 100 Marios to Mario Galaxy)
• N64, GameCube, Wii console design paths explored
• High performance console designs and specs (scrapped for Wii)
• Wii logotype and name design paths

With these I think my gamer life would be complete.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
gerg said:
Because they went for a different design goal and may have fulfilled that goal better by using a different design?

the same is true for the endless shelves of floating head movie boxarts we have in north america, but i think virtually everyone would say that criterion's box art is substantially better and more cutting edge than what actually ends up on shelves ;)

What I find most interesting about Nintendo's concept art, at least with the Donkey Kong and Zelda art, is that rather then design a character and then scale them down to the system, they made the character for the system. The first art of Mario was his Donkey Kong sprite.

gerg

Stumpokapow said:
the same is true for the endless shelves of floating head movie boxarts we have in north america, but i think virtually everyone would say that criterion's box art is substantially better and more cutting edge than what actually ends up on shelves ;)

I'm not quite familiar with the Criterion Collection, but searching through Google it does look quite remarkable, especially when considered outside of design.

And, sure, the Wii Music preliminary boxarts might be considered as more striking and artistically worthy of merit than the final incarnation, but I don't think they best fulfill the aesthetic and concept that Nintendo wanted to create with Wii Music - they seem more suited to a Rock Band type of game.

Mael

PataHikari said:
What I find most interesting about Nintendo's concept art, at least with the Donkey Kong and Zelda art, is that rather then design a character and then scale them down to the system, they made the character for the system. The first art of Mario was his Donkey Kong sprite.

Are we sure of that?
How can we know which came first of the pixelart or the drawing?

gerg

Mael said:
Are we sure of that?

I think that Miyamoto's been well-reported in stating that he designed Mario specifically around the limitations of the game, working (almost) directly onto his graph paper. That's why Mario has such an efficient design that has endured for so long.

Rich!

Mael said:
Are we sure of that?

Because Miyamoto's said so before.

He designed the sprite first, giving him a black line to emphasize his mouth and nose (moustache), and a hat due to not being able to draw hair because of the system's restrictions. The overalls were drawn as to seperate the arms and legs adequately.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
gerg said:
I think that Miyamoto's been well-reported in stating that he designed Mario specifically around the limitations of the game, working (almost) directly onto his graph paper. That's why Mario has such an efficient design that has endured for so long.

Positive. Which is also the reason why he has his beard. Miyamoto wanted to give him some kind of characteristic so that he wouldnt look too bland. The same reason for the hat. Originally he was supposed to have hairs but they couldnt make it distinctive enough so he got the easier to distinguish cap.

Edit: Beaten by a mile.

Rich!

It's strange to think that Mario was never intended to be a plumber (originally a carpenter) - he just came out looking that way. :lol

Mael

gerg said:

He could still have been drawing it around the known limitation and still not being a pixelart, that's doable after all he knew the limitations in term of pixels and all.

Because Miyamoto's said so before.

Didn't catch it then.
I still maintain that it was possible to make a drawing of a char then arrange it with the limitations in mind (not sure it would be easier than just drawing pixel art first though)

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Empty said:
This thread is a goldmine. It is liking getting a glimpse into willy wonka's chocolate factory.

I can't believe snaking was actually deliberately designed, holy crap.

BishopLamont said:
Fuck yeah.

I always knew snaking was planned all along.
34eyp02.png

They're the paths followed by 2nd and 3rd place drivers during the ending cutscene.
Thank you MisterHero for spreading this bullshit further with that joke :/

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
gerg said:
I'm not quite familiar with the Criterion Collection, but searching through Google it does look quite remarkable, especially when considered outside of design.

get your movie on son!

almost every movie in the collection is a superior film, and the criterion transfers are generally the best available transfer!

Further to a post upthread, I've been working on compiling all Iwata Asks interviews to date into a single PDF for ease of reference. It's going to be a little while longer in the making, but if it's of interest I'd be happy to upload it somewhere for download (can't see a problem here - the interviews are free to download, and simply reformatting and repackaging them in PDF as a free download shouldn't cause any difficulties) when it's done.

On the same note, does anyone have a complete list of the IA pieces posted on the UK/US sites, and a list (and translations?) of the ones on the NCL site? My count so far is:

UK SITE:

Link's Crossbow Training
Super Mario Galaxy (parts 1 - 4)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (parts 1 - 7)
Wii Fit (parts 1 - 4)
Mario Kart Wii
Wii Music (parts 1 - 3)
Animal Crossing: Let's Go to the City
Nintendo DSi (parts 1 - 8)
Rhythm Paradise
Walk with Me: Do You Know Your Walking Routine?
Wii MotionPlus
Wii Sports Resort
Punch-Out!!
Wii Fit Plus (parts 1 - 2)
Style Boutique
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (parts 1 - 2)
Nintendo DSi XL

US SITE:

The Wii Hardware (parts 1 - 3)
Wii Remote (parts 1 - 3)
Wii Channels (parts 1 - 6)
Wii Project Extra!
Wii Sports (parts 1 - 4)
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (parts 1 - 10)
WarioWare: Smooth Moves (parts 1 - 4)
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (parts 1 - 5)

JAPANESE SITE:

Sin and Punishment 2 (parts 1 - 6)
Zangeki no Reginleiv (parts 1 - 6)
NHK Red and White Quiz Battle (parts 1 - 6)
Wii no Ma (parts 1 - 6)
Final Fantasy: The Crystal Bearers (parts 1 - 6)
Monster Hunter Tri (parts 1 - 7)

Chittagong

Gold Member
Cosmonaut X said:
Further to a post upthread, I've been working on compiling all Iwata Asks interviews to date into a single PDF for ease of reference. It's going to be a little while longer in the making, but if it's of interest I'd be happy to upload it somewhere for download (can't see a problem here - the interviews are free to download, and simply reformatting and repackaging them in PDF as a free download shouldn't cause any difficulties) when it's done.

On the same note, does anyone have a complete list of the IA pieces posted on the UK/US sites, and a list (and translations?) of the ones on the NCL site? My count so far is:

UK SITE:

Link's Crossbow Training
Super Mario Galaxy (parts 1 - 4)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (parts 1 - 7)
Wii Fit (parts 1 - 4)
Mario Kart Wii
Wii Music (parts 1 - 3)
Animal Crossing: Let's Go to the City
Nintendo DSi (parts 1 - 8)
Rhythm Paradise
Walk with Me: Do You Know Your Walking Routine?
Wii MotionPlus
Wii Sports Resort
Punch-Out!!
Wii Fit Plus (parts 1 - 2)
Style Boutique
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (parts 1 - 2)
Nintendo DSi XL

US SITE:

The Wii Hardware (parts 1 - 3)
Wii Remote (parts 1 - 3)
Wii Channels (parts 1 - 6)
Wii Project Extra!
Wii Sports (parts 1 - 4)
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (parts 1 - 10)
WarioWare: Smooth Moves (parts 1 - 4)
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (parts 1 - 5)

JAPANESE SITE:

Sin and Punishment 2 (parts 1 - 6)
Zangeki no Reginleiv (parts 1 - 6)
NHK Red and White Quiz Battle (parts 1 - 6)
Wii no Ma (parts 1 - 6)
Final Fantasy: The Crystal Bearers (parts 1 - 6)
Monster Hunter Tri (parts 1 - 7)

yeah links to these should be definitely included to a "Inside the secret world of Nintendo" thread

Jme

mehdi_san said:
OK, this should be the last update: I finished scanning the book and uploaded them to a tinypic account (small resolution) and a dropbox account (raw files from the scanner at 600dpi, ~6mb per file).
Now, since we may not get a new title for this thread, I was thinking we should create a new one with a proper title. This way, the thread will get more attention, and the high-res pictures won't be at the 4th or 5th page. Problem is: i'm still a junior, so I need the help from a member...

Edit: here's one example from what the scans look like with tinypic
[.IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/iqzuaq.jpg[/IMG]

You could also post them to la.gg which is image hosting for superhuge resolutions (but it's kind of slow)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Chittagong said:
yeah links to these should be definitely included to a "Inside the secret world of Nintendo" thread

The first potent idea for the new thread title.

gerg

Stumpokapow said:
get your movie on son!

almost every movie in the collection is a superior film, and the criterion transfers are generally the best available transfer!

You're talking to someone stuck in Yurop, I'm afraid.

WillyFive

Chittagong said:
The stuff I would most hope to see from Nintendo's vaults

• Super Mario FX prototype (scrapped and evolved into SM64)
• Nintendo Super CD game prototypes (scrapped)
• Hardware design of Super NES Super CD device (scrapped)
• Super Mario 64-2 prototype (scrapped, evolved via 100 Marios to Mario Galaxy)
• N64, GameCube, Wii console design paths explored
• High performance console designs and specs (scrapped for Wii)
• Wii logotype and name design paths

With these I think my gamer life would be complete.

Seconded.

Sheik790 said:
I've got the book that scan is from. It's part of the "ZeldaBox" (which you probably already knew, but just trying to help :lol)

I don't have a scanner but i can snap a few pics of the inside if anyone's curious about other illustrations. Variations on Tetra and whatnot.
Yes! Yes! Yes!

Any image that isn't on the internet yet, please take a snapshot and post it up!

Doorman said:
I'm getting a weird late Disney, Emperor's New Groove-sort of vibe from the picture in the top right corner. I know I've seen the bottom part of it before, with the three Links. Interesting to see how they considered what sort of age to make Link for Wind Waker!

And I would consider seriously hurting somebody for the opportunity to see some concept drawings for Super Mario Galaxy.

AzureJericho said:
Heh, this tells me that I'm more dedicated as I'd beat the shit out of anyone no questions asked for Galaxy concept art. That's my would-be holy grail of game art.

Theres awesome Galaxy concept art in the Super Mario Galaxy Collector's Edition Guide.
But I thought people knew about it.
Theres artwork of awesome planets that didnt make it and rosalina that resembles more to Peach, as Miyamoto said that at first they were from the same family (by the little galaxy story, I think they still are).
I can take some photos of it, but it will have to be tomorrow.

Bentendo

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Theres awesome Galaxy concept art in the Super Mario Galaxy Collector's Edition Guide.
Theres artwork of awesome planets that didnt make it and rosalina that resembles more to Peach, as Miyamoto said that at first they were from the same family (by the little galaxy story, I think they still are).

Please do this. Oh my God please do this.

Indyana

Sorry for the bump, but I didn't want to rush SpacePirate Ridley.
SpacePirate Ridley said:
Porfa please recubierto de nata?

(Please pretty please with sugar on top?)

Top Bottom