• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files multiple Nintendo Switch patents (controller, dock, architecture*)

oti

Banned
Ah, thats a letdown, that's a feature I would've liked to see. Still not sure how a Mario Maker Switch is supposed to work, IR pointer feels like it'd be annoying.
Do you know how the PS4 let's you use a virtual pointer by tilting the controller for messages and such? Maybe that could be how they'll do it.

jwillenn

EXTREMELY happy to see superior IR pointing (apparently) available again in the default configuration.

As it should.

One of the demonstrations I am most excited to see soon (hopefully next month) is IR working WITH a secondary analog stick for a different control style. Show me a First or Third Person Shooter that allows the player to change view/control camera with the right analog stick while aiming (and ONLY aiming, not turning once across adjusted boundaries) is done via IR pointing. I've been wondering how good that could be since the Wii days, and now it seems we may have an opportunity to find out.

ffdgh

I have no idea what more of this is, but wow it sure is exciting to get switch news...in the weirdest way lol. Happy to know gyro is still in apparently. Oh and sleep mode too.

EDarkness

One of the demonstrations I am most excited to see soon (hopefully next month) is IR working WITH a secondary analog stick for a different control style. Show me a First or Third Person Shooter that allows the player to change view/control camera with the right analog stick while aiming (and ONLY aiming, not turning once across adjusted boundaries) is done via IR pointing. I've been wondering how good that could be since the Wii days, and now it seems we may have an opportunity to find out.

I hope developers really explore this kind of thing, because with the power of the system, they'll be able to realize their graphical ambitions and also experiment with various control configs. That has me the most excited and with that knowledge, I think I'll be getting a NS on day 1.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
More tidbits:

[0418] The main unit 2 includes the ambient light sensor 94 for detecting the intensity of the ambient light around the main unit 2. The ambient light sensor 94 is connected to the CPU 81, and the detection results of the ambient light sensor 94 are output to the CPU 81. In the present embodiment, the ambient light sensor 94 is used to adjust the brightness of the display 12. That is, the CPU 81 controls the brightness of the display 12 based on the detection results of the ambient light sensor 94.

[0151] As described above, in the present embodiment, the power button 28 can be used to turn the power ON/OFF and to switch between the ON mode and the sleep mode. Note that in other embodiments, the main unit 2 may be provided with a button only for the function of turning the power ON/OFF or only for the function of switching between the ON mode and the sleep mode.

[0152] The main unit 2 includes a sound input/output terminal (specifically, an earphone jack) 25. That is, the main unit 2 allows a microphone or an earphone to be attached to the sound input/output terminal 25. As shown in FIG. 3, the sound input/output terminal 25 is provided on the upper side surface of the housing 11.

15178984-32ekcr.png

sanstesy

While there won't be games only playable docked, I have no doubt there will be games (probably mostly digital) that are only playable on the touchscreen, that is in portable mode.

While there won't be games only playable docked, I have no doubt there will be games (probably mostly digital) that are only playable on the touchscreen, that is in portable mode.

The common theory (or at least my own) seems to be that touchscreen games will work while docked by using the IR pointer. I just can't see them allowing a control method that doesn't work in both of those modes.

This is too much for me. It is so elegantly designed and how Nintendo stuff all those things into a handheld is mind-blowing even though they are only on paper (for now). I am going to bed soon, hopefully some fine gentlemen or ladies can write a summary before I wake up next morning.

Is it really that impressive ? Tablets and phones are doing similar things with a smaller form factor.

More tidbits:

So, auto-adjusting lighting like a phone, and the submitted design has a power button like the 3DS, where it can be used for sleep mode and turning on/off, but they considered separate buttons too?

Also, confirmed for headphone jack on the top of the unit, next to the cart slot.

Stopdoor

Question: does any of this wording suggest you're limited to 4 Joycon halves?

I'm concerned that no one seems concerned about this.

Multiplayer possiblilies on a single Switch (docked or undocked)

1 console = 2 players
2 console = 4 players

Effin' brilliant.

That and:

1 console with one pair of Joy-Cons = 2 players
1 console with two pairs of Joy-Cons = 4 players

Man, we already have people calling the need to buy another Switch for full multiplayer brilliant. Gah.

Like sure, it works, but it's another limiting factor.

BD1

Banned
This also appears to confirm that at least 4 JoyCons can be paired to one Switch system. We haven't seen that yet.

15178984-37atulh.png

atbigelow

Very excited about the chance to play another Zelda with a split controller. It was incredibly comfortable in Twilight Princess.

Also glad there are three gyros in this thing. It needed to have those in each joycon side.

Is it really that impressive ? Tablets and phones are doing similar things with a smaller form factor.
Uh, how many phones you seeing with attachable controller halves?

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I can see Nintendo enforcing traditional controls on every single game made for the Switch. If not, as it was rumoured, the IR pointer might do the job.

The only smart device that has focused on this sort of hybrid functionality and led the market on it is probably 2012's Surface RT with Kickstand and type cover.

The Surface Book is also a pretty neat idea - it uses a muscle wire fulcrum hinge to attach a tablet to a proper laptop base. You can take off the screen and have a full tablet, but you can also re-attach the screen the other way round to use the device like a clipboard or watch movies more easily. The GPU is in the base, but the main internals are in the screen portion.

sanstesy

I can see Nintendo enforcing traditional controls on every single game made for the Switch. If not, as it was rumoured, the IR pointer might do the job.

I don't see why they would need to do that. There can be a whole section in the eShop dedicated to touchscreen-only/portable-only games and as long as people would buy them there would be no problem IMO.

Also, like mentioned above, an IR pointer can't replace multi-touch adequately at all.

EDarkness

Man, we already have people calling the need to buy another Switch for full multiplayer brilliant. Gah.

I'm sure this depends on the game. I imagine some games will have 4 player multiplayer on one NS. Others may require two systems. I really want there to be a PSO 2 version released on the NS. I would buy another NS so my wife and I could play together. It probably could work on the same screen like the GC version, but having that full TV experience would be best.

So, no Ethernet confirmed?

Actually, the opposite:

[0560] Note that differences between settings in the portable mode and those in the console mode are not limited to those described above. For example, in other embodiments, the information processing device 1 may impose only one of the limitations (a) and (b) described above in the portable mode. For example, in other embodiments, the information processing system may use different communication methods for the communication with external devices via a network (e.g., the Internet) (in other words, may switch between different communication methods) in the portable mode and in the console mode. For example, consider a case in which a predetermined network connection device is connected to the cradle 5, the predetermined network connection device having a function of connecting to and communicating with the network. In such a case, in the portable mode, the information processing device 1 may communicate with the network using the network communication section 82. On the other hand, in the console mode, the information processing device 1 may communicate with the network via the cradle 5 and the network connection device.

Remember that Reddit leaker who claimed to be from the future and said that there would be a VR headset for the system? Hmmmm...Biff Tannon coming back to warn us?

What are you considering hybrid functionality?

The Switch packing in two split controllers and a kickstand that allow you to interact with the device in a variety of ways. It's not just a portable device, but one that comes with two separate multiplayer controllers that can be used in any orientation, and one that can be easily docked to the TV for single player use as well.

Smart devices don't do this sort of thing. If you're in the Apple ecosystem you buy an iPhone and an Apple TV. An additional Siri Remote is $79, or you can use your iPod Touch or an iPhone as an extra controller.

Apple does a great job of making sure all the devices in its ecosystem play well with each other so you have a reason to have an iPad, iPhone and Apple TV (and Apple Watch if you're into fitness stuff), Nintendo's starting their new platform by offering it all in one.

Stopdoor

The pro controller exists

Yeah, but each pair of these is equivalent to a pro controller and they've conveniently left a 4 player pro controller setup out of the trailer, and now also the patents. It's starting to become concerning. And I feel like people will quietly accept that because as long as there's "trial" 4-player with 4 joycons and LAN-like play they'll be good.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english

That's not the point I was trying to make. If two people have their Switch with them, they could play for example a 4 player Mario Kart on one single console. I thought it was going to be 2 Joy Cons max per console. Players and always use their own Pro controllers or whatever.

Stopdoor

That's not the point I was trying to make. If two people have their Switch with them, they could play for example a 4 player Mario Kart on one single console. I thought it was going to be 2 Joy Cons max per console. Players and always use their own Pro controllers or whatever.

I'm looking for the 4 player+ Pro Controller on one console setup seen on Wii U and every previous Nintendo home console and nothing in these patents confirms it so far. For a local multiplayer console, that's kind of a big limit for anything past casual play or having multiple Switches.

Be nice if anyone can dig up any info on that, you'd think patents would detail if it was possible for more wireless connections but the lack of it is concerning.

Plum

Except you don't have to do that. You can either buy three pro controllers or, if Nintendo puts them out, three pairs of Joy-Cons. Where is there any indication that you need to buy two Switches for 4 player gameplay?

Top Bottom