• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files multiple Nintendo Switch patents (controller, dock, architecture*)

thefro

The VR attachment is something I was expecting, even if it won't be great. With the joycons having motion control you have the whole package in a pretty cheap form factor.

Pretty cool that the Joycons have more shoulder buttons than we thought.

kunonabi

One of the demonstrations I am most excited to see soon (hopefully next month) is IR working WITH a secondary analog stick for a different control style. Show me a First or Third Person Shooter that allows the player to change view/control camera with the right analog stick while aiming (and ONLY aiming, not turning once across adjusted boundaries) is done via IR pointing. I've been wondering how good that could be since the Wii days, and now it seems we may have an opportunity to find out.

Assuming devs don't just focus on the pro controller and ignore the joycons anyway.

Stopdoor

Except you don't have to do that. You can either buy three pro controllers or, if Nintendo puts them out, three pairs of Joy-Cons. Where is there any indication that you need to buy two Switches for 4 player gameplay?

Well, you'd think if that was possible on one Switch, the patents would confirm it, yeah? Ideally I'd like to be proven wrong.

Aonuma

The "mystery" button on the left Joy-Con is specifically referred to as the "record" button in the patents, so it's the share button as everyone has been saying forever.

[0168] The left controller 3 also includes a record button 37. As shown in FIG. 5, the record button 37 is provided on the primary surface of the housing 31, more specifically, in a lower right area of the primary surface. The record button 37 is a button for giving an instruction to save the image displayed on the display 12 of the main unit 2. For example, when a game image is displayed on the display 12, a user can press the record button 37 to save the game image that is displayed at the point in time when the button is pressed in a storage section of the main unit 2, for example.

15178984-141aje9.png

Pachimari

Given the size of slot 24, my guess is they're aiming for MicroSD for the storage.

Phew, I got a 128gb ready.

And it seems like I'll have to buy an ethernet adapter on launch too.

The VR attachment is something I was expecting, even if it won't be great. With the joycons having motion control you have the whole package in a pretty cheap form factor.

Pretty cool that the Joycons have more shoulder buttons than we thought.

Don't they just have 2 shoulder buttons each?

For the lazy, is there a summary available of everything this confirms in layman's terms? Thank you.

This confirms:

• Shoulder buttons on the connection portion of the joycons
  • IR camera at the bottom of the right joycon
  • Fan inside the tablet and dock EDIT: Nevermind, nothing in the patent explicitly says anything about a fan in the dock
  • Downclock when in portable mode
  • Possible to connect to a wired internet connection when docked
  • 4 joycons usable on one Switch
  • Different types of joycons (with D-pad, etc.)
  • Possibly usable in a VR HMD
    EDIT: Adding more
  • Joycon grip can charge joycons
  • Joycon grip LED displays can display both player number and battery remaining
  • Joycon motion controls and vibration confirmed

Probably more, but that's what I can think of now.

Likely not.

That's just in theory, but the dock has no ethernet connection.

Probably you get and USB adaptor.

He was asking if ethernet as a whole was de-confirmed, and the patent does explicitly say a network connection can be made with the dock which is different than that with the handheld. An adapter may be needed, yes, but people were thinking they wouldn't even let you do that.

It was never going to have it. People were fools to even think it would.

It has support for different connections when docked vs undocked, so it should support ethernet, although through a USB > ethernet adapter.

Stopdoor

The patents outright say that one Switch unit can detect up to four joycons controller.

Yeah, but a joycon controller isn't equivalent to one full controller - cool for casual play, but not for anything that relies on the full suite of buttons, a feature possible in the last bunch of Nintendo consoles.

This is good to see. Some cool stuff here. And it detracts from that Pascal/Maxwell discussion thread and seems to be more positive so that's good too.

LordKano

The "mystery" button on the left Joy-Con is specifically referred to as the "record" button in the patents, so it's the share button as everyone has been saying forever.

This is everything I wanted. Record imply that it will be able to record video of gameplay, that's awesome.

Plum

Well, you'd think if that was possible on one Switch, the patents would confirm it, yeah? Ideally I'd like to be proven wrong.

It's not a unique part of the Switch's hardware design nor is "four player split-screen gameplay" a new concept. Patents aren't press releases.

EDarkness

Assuming devs don't just focus on the pro controller and ignore the joycons anyway.

If the pro controller isn't packed in, then they won't have much of a choice. There would be two configs as base. One with dual analog (portable) and one with the joycons not connected to the system. That can also be dual analog, but the possibility of someone using or wanting to use IR would be there in that configuration. I would hope that devs would be accommodating and work with both. If I was working on the system, that's what I would do. Have both bases covered.

LordKano

Yeah, but a joycon controller isn't equivalent to one full controller - cool for casual play, but not for anything that relies on the full suite of buttons, a feature possible in the last bunch of Nintendo consoles.

I don't get what's your concern exactly. The Switch unit can detect up to four joycons controller, and then you'll have to use pro controllers if you want to play with more people.

Stopdoor

It's not a unique part of the Switch's design nor is "four player split-screen gameplay" a patentable thing. Patents aren't press releases.

Alright, well I hope so. Just raising it as a point so people might look more in-depth at it.

yoonshik

This also appears to confirm that at least 4 JoyCons can be paired to one Switch system. We haven't seen that yet.

15178984-37atulh.png

[0517] Note that where three or more controllers are used, the information processing system can be used in various other modes, other than the modes of use shown in FIGS. 37(a) and 37(b). For example, the information processing system can be used in a mode in which a user uses a pair of left and right controllers while another user uses one controller. For example, a user can use a controller or controllers attached to the main unit 2 while another user uses a controller or controllers detached from the main unit 2.

One device, infinite possibilities.

I'm excited.

Stopdoor

I don't get what's your concern exactly. The Switch unit can detect up to four joycons controller, and then you'll have to use pro controllers if you want to play with more people.

Yeah, I'm just saying I thought the patent would showcase that sort of setup if it was possible, but maybe not. Just concerned we haven't seen that setup yet.

Xdrive05

Interesting. It only specifies "image" and not a video clip. Should this be interpreted literally as in this will only take a screenshot and will not capture video segments?

Considering the form factor and storage limitations, I wouldn't expect video recording personally. But it's worth asking the question I guess.

Edit: then again with SD card storage it should be technically possible. And if the CPU is as strong as the kits would imply, it should be no problem for them to reserve one CPU core for OS and things like video recording the 720p image.

I was about to ask for someone to translate this to captain dummy talk but thanks for the summary for the multiple posters in the last few pages

Phew, I got a 128gb ready.

And it seems like I'll have to buy an ethernet adapter on launch too.

Don't they just have 2 shoulder buttons each?

Well, they have both the 'shoulder buttons' as understood in terms of the main Switch unit and controller grip, but also their own 'shoulder buttons' on the inside where they meet the tablet. Thus theoretically they have four 'shoulder buttons', though two would be incredibly awkward to use while playing.

spekkeh

Banned
I think they've only patented the VR HMD just in case a third party wants to create an addon, then they need to pay a licensing fee. At least for the current Switch, VR makes no sense.

Pachimari

Well, they have both the 'shoulder buttons' as understood in terms of the main Switch unit and controller grip, but also their own 'shoulder buttons' on the inside where they meet the tablet. Thus theoretically they have four 'shoulder buttons', though two would be incredibly awkward to use while playing.

Oh wow, that's great! Makes so much sense too.

Branduil

Video is technically just a series of images. Just saying.

I feel like Nintendo would want to help people do stuff like Twitch and Youtube streaming as well.

Is there a led emitter in the patent like the wii sensor bar had?

I find that ir camera weird because and ir camera is not needed to aim at the screen.

I don't see anything in the patent about any IR emitters, though the rumor is that the top of the Switch screen acts as an IR emitter when docked.

Plum

Yeah, I'm just saying I thought the patent would showcase that sort of setup if it was possible, but maybe not. Just concerned we haven't seen that setup yet.

Yeah I can understand the concern but "four player gameplay with four regular controllers" isn't a USP so Nintendo obviously hasn't seen the need to showcase it yet. I'd wait until January when the more mundane aspects of the Switch are covered, it's very likely to pop up then.

How do people expect to use the IR pointer in FPS as just an aiming tool when its on the bottom of the right Joycon? Would you hold it upside down even though you'd lose the ability to hit the two triggers?

Scrawnton

He was asking if ethernet as a whole was de-confirmed, and the patent does explicitly say a network connection can be made with the dock which is different than that with the handheld. An adapter may be needed, yes, but people were thinking they wouldn't even let you do that.

It has support for different connections when docked vs undocked, so it should support ethernet, although through a USB > ethernet adapter.

So you were expecting a USB adapter for the dock to plug in Ethernet and then have that network information transmitted through the USB C while it was also transmitting power and high quality video?

100% unrealistic. Not gonna happen.

Sifting through this hurts my brain. Does this or does it not confirm analog triggers?

Also, do we have any information about the Pro Controller? I'm curious if it will feature gyro controls as well.

This confirms:

• Shoulder buttons on the connection portion of the joycons
  • IR camera at the bottom of the right joycon
  • Fan inside the tablet and dock EDIT: Nevermind, nothing in the patent explicitly says anything about a fan in the dock
  • Downclock when in portable mode
  • Possible to connect to a wired internet connection when docked
  • 4 joycons usable on one Switch
  • Different types of joycons (with D-pad, etc.)
  • Possibly usable in a VR HMD

Probably more, but that's what I can think of now.

Thanks for the summary. Is the central grip picture showing that it just has an optical path to display the lights on each joycon rather than inbuilt lights? Implies it probably doesn't work as a charger if so.

I think they've only patented the VR HMD just in case a third party wants to create an addon, then they need to pay a licensing fee. At least for the current Switch, VR makes no sense.
Honestly with the size of the tablet it seems unlikely, the size projections from the several views we seen both in the reveal and the tonight show put this very close to the size of an amazon fire 7. With one next to me currently I can tell you I wouldn't want this mounted on my head

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Possible VR cradled? Does this mean 1080p screen?

Nope, 720p which is bad VR.

Definitely an incentive to wait for the Switch iteration that gets a 1080p screen though, although even 1080p without a really darn good custom screen is not really very good either.

I wouldnt be surprised if Nintendo dont do anything and this is just covering patent bases though.

Also, like mentioned above, an IR pointer can't replace multi-touch adequately at all.

I don't really buy into that. What are some examples of touch-enabled games that absolutely cannot be played without multi-touch? How many examples of multi-touch games would be physically impossible to replicate with buttons?

So does this IR sensor we'll need to have the docked system facing us in order to work properly? Particularly for things that use the right joycon as a pointer/aimer?

I hope not. My Switch was gonna be tucked away in my TV shelf.

Plum

There's no camera on the Switch, is there?

Likely not and to be honest it really doesn't need one. Cameras on handhelds have always been both poor quality and only used for a few gimmick games. I can count on one hand the amount of times I used my 3DS's camera.

There a headphone port in the pro controller? LKD tweeted it. Could mean proper voice chat support if true.

Edit. Nevermind, apparently there's NO headphone port on it.

So does this IR sensor we'll need to have the docked system facing us in order to work properly? Particularly for things that use the right joycon as a pointer/aimer?

I hope not. My Switch was gonna be tucked away in my TV shelf.

If it's the same case as Wii you should be able to get away with any 3rd party sensor bar product or a pair of candles etc.

Top Bottom