• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo France Interview on Wii Mini, MH3U sales & Wii U marketing/sales

Components are ordered on a forecast, they are not ordered as one years worth of components in one go. If the sales drop then the forecast is altered so as to manage the component inventory and manufacturing schedule.

Nintendo in the UK is in the shit these days.

Other platforms are not tanking like the Wii or Wii U here.

Vita is tanking badly as well. And we already saw a lot of games underperforming (last one being Gears of War). Market is shrinking for one reason (PS360 too long in the market) or another (Nintendo not able to replicate DS and Wii phenomena).

tassletine

What's the logic behind the Wii Mini?

Who was asking for that? Who was bugging Nintendo for less functionality and more portability? Who? What is going on at Nintendo?

I think there are a lot of old folks homes that will be buying them. Wii sports is very popular there.

NotLiquid

Our belief is that sales react to the games lineup. Lowering the price, without any compelling software will produce nothing. Moreover, promotional policy for now is at the discretion of distributors. Our responsibility is to provide a solid games catalogue. We had the 3DS experience before, where we sold 750.000 units the first year, and then 960.000 units the following one. This year, we are looking at more than a million units sold. This was mainly thanks to the 3DS XL, not a price drop. When we lowered the 3DS model price, it didn’t have the effect we wished for. We only had a good improvement during half a month and then sales went back to the levels they were at before. What helped the 3DS at the end of its first year was titles like Mario Kart 7, Kid Icarus Uprising, Mario Tennis Open and Super Mario 3D Land. NSMB2 sales have been phenomenal. In conclusion, price isn’t the only lever that we can use to drive sales. Today, we’re at 1,85 million 3DS sold in France compared to 11 million in Japan.

Cool. They get this at least.

Hedja

So they're planning to take out the original Wii and replace it with a Wii Mini to reduce market confusion? What? That's completely backwards. Nintendo's branding and marketing departments seriously need a reshuffle. They don't seem to be doing their job right at all.

I seriously think the Wii U should've had the Wii Mini's design and a different name. I love how the Wii Mini looks and it would've shown a throwback to the SNES era of Nintendo rather than another Wii era.

I like how people are trying to downplay the sales of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, while praised the sales of Ni no Kuni (that weren't much higher probably).
Ni no Kuni probably sold about 3x as much as Monster Hunter 3DS in the UK first week, and stayed in the charts for a while. It's left and re-entered, which most took as supply issues.

It charted at both position 1 and 3 in France in week 1.

Ni no Kuni probably sold about 3x as much as Monster Hunter 3DS in the UK first week, and stayed in the charts for a while. It's left and re-entered, which most took as supply issues.

To be fair it was on a much bigger userbase, but MH3U sales arent anything to have a party over

"they weren't much higher". How much Ni no Kuni sold in the first week in UK?

(note: I do think Ni no Kuni sold really well. I just pointed out those people downplaying MH3U figures).

If the Wii Mini’s design is what will differentiate the Wii from the Wii U, Why didn’t you rather change the Wii U’s design directly?

We will see how sales will be in the next coming weeks. You know, we don’t really have our word to say concerning design (laughs). One thing is sure, if you put a Wii Mini next to a Wii U, there’s a huge difference between the two. Now, could we have done it differently? Probably, but this isn’t the strategy that has been chosen by Nintendo.

This is brilliant. He can't even explain the logic behind making the Wii U identical to the Wii physically except for "it's what Nintendo decided."

The guy really feels like he's holding his tongue over decisions he would have made differently if he was in charge.

To be fair it was on a much bigger userbase, but MH3U sales arent anything to have a party over
They also consequently have more software to compete with, but fair point. Although, what is the 3DS installed base in the UK anyway?
"they weren't much higher". How much Ni no Kuni sold in the first week in UK?

(note: I do think Ni no Kuni sold really well. I just pointed out those people downplaying MH3U figures).
By rough extrapolation, iirc, Ni no Kuni sold <19K.

MH3U sold <12K on two systems. Sold <6.5K on 3DS. Sold <5.5K on Wii U.

Ni no Kuni had good legs though. We'll see what happens to MH3U next week. And again, it charted at both 1 and 3 in France.

By saying it's sales "weren't much higher" you're essentially saying it didn't sell well, since MH3U didn't really sell well.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
More portable? Are people supposed to be lugging this thing around? Just utterly baffling.

They also consequently have more software to compete with, but fair point. Although, what is the 3DS installed base in the UK anyway?
By rough extrapolation, iirc, Ni no Kuni sold <19K.

MH3U sold <12K on two systems. Sold <6.5K on 3DS. Sold <5.5K on Wii U.

Ni no Kuni had good legs though. We'll see what happens to MH3U next week. And again, it charted at both 1 and 3 in France.

By saying it's sales "weren't much higher" you're essentially saying it didn't sell well, since MH3U didn't really sell well.

Indeed, so what was wrong with my statement? :) I said Ni no Kuni sales weren't much higher, and indeed, they weren't. But Ni no Kuni got high praise for its sales by many people.

The fact is that, without numbers, we cannot say too much. How much units a game needed to sell in February in France to reach number 1? Which games Ni no Kuni had against it? I'll tell you: no one. Monster Hunter has been released along with Gears of War, Tomb Raider, God of War. Come on, you're always in the sales thread about PAL countries, those are things you should know better than me.

Tagg9

The Wii Mini was (maybe) a good idea two years ago. Right now, it's simply adding to consumer confusion.

Indeed, so what was wrong with my statement?
They were quite a bit higher, especially since people are actually talking about single SKU sales here.

I'm just confused as to the point of your statement. There was a difference between the sales of Ni no Kuni and MH3U. One can consider one SKU selling <19K to have sold well/okay and the other selling <6K to not have sold well/okay, given that difference. Or occupying two positions on the chart vs a single position, given that difference.

Essentially you're either saying "Well, MH3U 3DS didn't sell well, but neither did Ni no Kuni!!!!!" or "All you people thought Ni no Kuni sold well, you have to say the same about MH3U 3DS!!!!" when neither is a necessary corollary.

They were quite a bit higher, especially since people are actually talking about single SKU sales here.

I'm just confused as to the point of your statement. There was a difference between the sales of Ni no Kuni and MH3U. One can consider one SKU selling <19K to have sold well/okay and the other selling <6K to not have sold well/okay, given that difference. Or occupying two positions on the chart vs a single position, given that difference.

Sorry, I did not know someone was considering separate SKU, just because. I though they were the same game.

Essentially you're either saying "Well, MH3U 3DS didn't sell well, but neither did Ni no Kuni!!!!!" or "All you people thought Ni no Kuni sold well, you have to say the same about MH3U 3DS!!!!" when neither is a necessary corollary.

Actually, no.
I also stated here and during PAL Week n.5 that Ni no Kuni sold nicely in UK. I just wanted to say that it is funny to see that people change completely opinion with a few thousands units of difference: I was considering both SKUs for Monster Hunter, anyway.

And I also find funny how you try to infer numbers from chart positions, stating that Ni no Kuni was first in France for 2 weeks or whatever, forgetting that Ni no Kuni had no competition (but apparently it also sold really well in France). Dragon Quest IX stayed for 5 weeks at number 1 in France, you knew that? ;)

And I also find funny how you try to infer numbers from chart positions, stating that Ni no Kuni was first in France for 2 weeks or whatever, forgetting that Ni no Kuni had no competition (but apparently it also sold really well in France).
We have a number for MH3U 3DS. It's 10K. Given the apparent size of the French market, this does not seem particularly high for any given week.

You misread. I'm not saying it was first in France for two weeks, I'm saying it was at position 1 and 3 at launch week, which presumably would imply greater sales than simply position 2, unless the market collapsed that week.

Ni no Kuni has also shown over several weeks that it wasn't a one-week wonder. While,

At the end of the day, perhaps this wasn't the case, but it simply seemed like you were bringing up something that was largely irrelevant and trying to shit on one game's sales because other people are trying to shit on another game's sales.
Dragon Quest IX stayed for 5 weeks at number 1 in France, you knew that? ;)
I'm not sure what relevance this holds whatsoever.

Sandfox

Why is Ni No Kuni being compared to MH? The both of them being niche doesn't really make them all that comparable lol

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
The Wii Mini COULD be really smart, actually, if they do it right. Namely: discontinue the normal Wii entirely, and only sell the Mini. Right there, you've (sorta) solved the issue where the Wii and Wii U look so similar on the shelf. Can also push the Wii U as an upsell over the Mini with "play your Wii games online!"

The Wii Mini COULD be really smart, actually, if they do it right. Namely: discontinue the normal Wii entirely, and only sell the Mini. Right there, you've (sorta) solved the issue where the Wii and Wii U look so similar on the shelf. Can also push the Wii U as an upsell over the Mini with "play your Wii games online!"

The wii mini is is a piece of shit that actually takes money away from nintendo because they cant buy vc games

Madouu

This is brilliant. He can't even explain the logic behind making the Wii U identical to the Wii physically except for "it's what Nintendo decided."

The guy really feels like he's holding his tongue over decisions he would have made differently if he was in charge.

He probably would have done it differently but he doesn't seem bitter about it or anything. Seems like he knows what his position is at Nintendo and is content with it. I think "holding his tongue" is definitely looking too much into what he said.

What we know thanks to the interview as a fact now is that Nintendo France doesn't have a say in terms of the exterior design of a console. That's how I read it.

That's what they are doing.

The wii mini is is a piece of shit that actually takes money away from nintendo because they cant buy vc games

Taking into account what Lavoué said in the interview, I still think the Wii Mini is directed to new videogame consumers. I don't think this segment of the market buys a lot of VC games. It probably is a piece of shit for what your needs are but it's fine for a certain demographic. Like I said before, the point is probably not to drive wii sales but just to replace the existing model while offering a cheaper price point for the small pool of people that might still get the console.

hatchx

Banned
Isn't Wii Mini UK and Canada only?

Seemed like something for very, very little kids, or very, very old seniors.

What middle-aged person wants less features?

Wii Mini was a dumb idea. I can't believe they took out the online.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

Alternatively: it pushes people towards the Wii U if they want to play games online or download anything. They just need to promote those differences in their store displays. Releasing a shitty and different-looking Wii is just a halfway step to not selling it at all, which would really be optimal, but they can't get away with JUST yet.

That's what they are doing.

Did they say they're discontinuing the normal Wii? I must've missed that.

BD1

Banned
You know, Nintendo is almost assuredly going to make a shit ton of money on the Wii Mini. It looks stupid to all of us, but it'll be all profit for Ninty.

Madouu

Did they say they're discontinuing the normal Wii? I must've missed that.

Give me a second, I'll translate it right away.

Let us go back to the Wii Mini. Does its release mark the end of the classic model?

There's not much left of the classic Wii Model. The Wii Mini will soon be the only option on the market for this segment, we're almost there. The old model should stay on the market for 4 to 5 weeks at max.

added to the OP.

Isn't Wii Mini UK and Canada only?

Seemed like something for very, very little kids, or very, very old seniors.

It released in Europe the 15th.

That's pretty much what it is. It could be an okay model for developing countries too.

Taking into account what Lavoué said in the interview, I still think the Wii Mini is directed to new videogame consumers. I don't think this segment of the market buys a lot of VC games. It probably is a piece of shit for what your needs are but it's fine for a certain demographic. Like I said before, the point is probably not to drive wii sales but just to replace the existing model while offering a cheaper price point for the small pool of people that might still get the console.

This would make sense if wii mini was truly that much cheaper.

Madouu

This would make sense if wii mini was truly that much cheaper.

Well prices can be adjusted. I've seen a deal here in Canada for $70 + SMG and that's probably what we are going to see more of sometime in the future. They're probably trying to squeeze out as much profit as they can from the Wii for now.

M3d10n

Now the Wii Mini makes (some) sense: it's meant to distance the Wii from the Wii U, by making it ugly and gimped.

Give me a second, I'll translate it right away.

added to the OP.

It released in Europe the 15th.

That's pretty much what it is. It could be an okay model for developing countries too.

I wonder if they'll implement the Wii Mini worldwide as Nintendo's primary solution to the Wii / Wii U brand confusion fiasco.

mantidor

I'm surprised at all the Wii Mini hate, it's the most obvious and expected thing in this business and everyone does it, is it wrong because it is Nintendo doing it?

I'm surprised at all the Wii Mini hate, it's the most obvious and expected thing in this business and everyone does it, is it wrong because it is Nintendo doing it?

Never seen this much Wii hate in general, there's three new Wii u threads everyday, its cool to hate Wii right now.

Madouu

I wonder if they'll implement the Wii Mini worldwide as Nintendo's primary solution to the Wii / Wii U brand confusion fiasco.

I think we can safely assume that they are discontinuing the classic model worldwide.

As far as the Wii U is concerned, I love the console and I'm happy that something like it exists but the concept seems to have no mass market appeal. That's where the issue is moreso than the naming. In my opinion, for it to be a big success now, it needs a new extremely successful franchise like a Pokémon or a Monster Hunter alongside the usual Nintendo output & third party partnerships. Something that is new, exclusive and can drive sales. The issue is that pursuing such an objective is not only risky but also takes quite a bit of time. Either way, once or if this is ever settled, arguments such as Off TV play will play a big role in selling the console to parents or couples for example, but right now they don't constitute strong selling points by themselves. Other issues such as brand confusion or poor marketing are exacerbated because of this, but I don't think they are the main problem in the end.

Short term focus should be on sorting all of these secondary issues, but after that focus should and hopefully will be fully on software. Here's hoping we see something good on that front.

It's not about hate, it's about stupidity of this move, if you read the reactions here and there.

Top Bottom