• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo FY14 Q1: 0.82M 3DS, 0.51M Wii U, MK8 2.82M shipped, 10 billion yen loss

AniHawk

I'm sorry but I don't quite understand what you're saying. Are you saying Nintendo is willingly shying away from third parties? I'm not just talking about the big ones. I'm talking about 99% of third parties here.

Just think of the hundreds of franchises they have together that make up 95% of gaming's franchises. Now think of all the fans to those franchises. The vast majority of them won't even be considering a WiiU as a purchase.

Nintendo obviously wants third party support but it recognises that it might have little effect on their systems and hence the risk needed to get that support is seen as too much.

while they might welcome any and all sorts of games on their system, they aren't willing to bend so far that their platform resembles a ps4 or an xbox one. i think they prefer making their own franchises popular enough so that people copy those- to build their own ecosystem and predictable and lucrative fanbase versus hoping sony's or microsoft's will suddenly be interested in the kinds of games nintendo makes.

Apt101

Hmm. I've heard some compelling arguments that Nintendo moving to mobile could devalue the brand. I personally disagree, but I can see their viewpoint. Personally I think Nintendo would be the first big game company capable of demanding $20-$30 for iOS and Android games. But the idea of Nintendo releasing their games on other platforms just feels like such an impossibility.

JoeM86

Hmm. I've heard some compelling arguments that Nintendo moving to mobile could devalue the brand. I personally disagree, but I can see their viewpoint. Personally I think Nintendo would be the first big game company capable of demanding $20-$30 for iOS and Android games. But the idea of Nintendo releasing their games on other platforms just feels like such an impossibility.

Smartphone gaming & steam sales have already devalued the industry. Now, people want things for free or for ridiculously cheap prices. On Steam, people seldom don't buy the games at standard price, but instead just wait for steam sales. Apple are apparently getting frustrated because people are not willing to spend money on games as much as they had hoped.

Hell, I run arguably the most popular Pokémon fan community. When Pokémon Battle Trozei was announced/released, a small £8 game but with a decent amount of content, there were so many ridiculous posts on my site's facebook saying "It should be free". Hell, there were even comments akin to this for the full retail title, Pokémon Art Academy. The industry has been devalued and it is getting worse.

If Nintendo put their titles on smartphones, it would absolutely devalue their brands. People would think "Why should I spend £40 on this new Mario for the Wii U when I can get this Mario for £0.99 on the iOS store".

AniHawk

Here's a rough translation of one of the juicy insider quotes.

it's kind of odd and astounding to see katsuhito yamauchi being propped up. the dude has only been doing pokemon anime stuff (although now i guess he's a planning manager?), and he's in his mid-50s. not sure what qualifications he'd have for president other than being hiroshi yamauchi's son.

plufim

Phone games struggle even at 99c now. Nintendo won't change that.

it's kind of odd and astounding to see katsuhito yamauchi being propped up. the dude has only been doing pokemon anime stuff (although now i guess he's a planning manager?), and he's in his mid-50s. not sure what qualifications he'd have for president other than being hiroshi yamauchi's son.

Well, Hiroshi Yamauchi had absolutely no qualifications other than family ties when he took over Nintendo...

My fanfiction explanation is that he makes a good figurehead for this rumored cabal of anti-Iwata management. He will garner support just because of his lineage. At the same time, having little gaming cred of his own, he is weak and will therefore not get in the way of the plans to bring us New New Super Mario Bros. on iOS with microtransactions.

I will wait for more informed and credible speculations from our Nintendo experts. :)

Chittagong

Gold Member
Nintendo still absolutely has the resources and cred with the general public to recapture the console market with both core and casual gamers. I hear they have had issues adopting to HD game development. Once they get that under their belt there's no reason they can't partner with AMD and make a kick ass console, and work like Sony did to ease development. A Nintendo console that has their unique in-house library and also runs the best versions of multiplat titles sounds kind of like a no-brainer direction if they intend on remaining in the console space post Wii U. The problem though would be timing the release and convincing early adoption when Sony and Microsoft are just now starting to get their balls rolling.

I fear the lack of understanding and culture for development and online services runs too deep in the company. You don't simply decide to make better developer tools, they are rooted on developers being in charge of thr console architecture, the OS, the tool chain, the API, the documentation, the policies - like Cerny. And you don't just simply do online services when you haven't even understood game licenses that are tied to account instead of hardware, you have to build a culture of online services.

In that sense Nintendo's competences are better aligned to creating excellent gaming experiences rather than creating developer and service platforms. When their lack of skills in platform building actively hinder the success of their franchises, it's worth questioning whether the tail is wagging the dog.

Waiting for the "mobile gaming bubble to burst" - good luck with that.
Thanks again, Aqua.

Well at least Wii U hardware production costs won't eat into their profits this year. Also, in the FY ending March 2013, they didn't actually lose any money due to making some off of the exchange rates, correct? Even though they posted an operating loss...
No, they posted a net loss as well as an operating loss. Also, iirc, the Wii U hardware is still produced at a loss, however most of the inventory they expect to sell this year was impaired in the last fiscal year so they expect "almost no loss" on the sale of hardware units.

Striek

Saying game content is being devalued has a negative connotation that is only one point of view. Being revalued, or brought into line with its true worth is another possible valid viewpoint.

Darius

Banned
About 3rd parties in general, right now Sony seems to be one most interested in changing the business modell, games as some kind of service with monthly or yearly fees. The interesting part at least to me is that also some 3rd parties have something like this in mind, case in point EA Access, there goal in future will likely be to have such a service on their own.
That´s something they are really working on and it will be interesting to see how this will affect the amount of royalties there actually will be to get, and what implication this will have on the current business-modell (heavy on 3rd party royalties) especially Sony and Microsoft seem to rely on. This is something that I doubt will have any major affect in the next few years, but the end goal will likely be to become as autonomous as possible. Especially EA, who actually dwarf Sony when it comes to market relevant software releases/sales peerformance could cause a big hole in future when it comes to 3rd party royalties, at the very least they´ll likely push this kind of service (in general be it console, smart devices, PC, and maybe even on "smart" TVs in future) to have to pay as little as possible going on.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
About the time when we could see the new systems appearing, this has been said in May's Investor Briefing.

This is what has been discussed back in January

17.jpg

And this is what Iwata said in May about it.

In your presentation, you made it clear that in this fiscal year Nintendo would prioritize restoration of the balance of revenue and expenses. My question deals with the company’s mid-term prospects. I would like Mr. Iwata to tell us his current thoughts on what he would like the following two terms (the fiscal year ending March 2016 and the fiscal year ending March 2017) to mean for the company. Given that Nintendo already made a significant devaluation of inventory in the previous fiscal year, I suppose you are envisioning that the financial performance of the company is set to recover by some extent this fiscal year, but what are the key factors that will drive the business from the next fiscal year? Or, do you think that investment will expand yet again from the new businesses in and after the next fiscal year? Please tell us how you would expect the company’s financial performance to change from the next fiscal year.

Iwata:

With regard to this fiscal year, I feel that it is essential for us to restore the balance of revenue and expenses that has been lost temporarily in order to gain trust in the financial markets. On the other hand, while it is difficult to talk about the next two fiscal years using concrete figures, I feel that in the next fiscal year we will be able to be more specific about the kinds of mid-term projects that we discussed at the Corporate Management Policy Briefing in January, and in fact, we will even start to offer some of them to the public. In the following fiscal year, I expect some of these measures to start serving as a source of profits for the company. In this sense, instead of seeing a great and sudden recovery in our profitability in the next fiscal year, I am rather expecting to be able to report Nintendo-like profits from around the following fiscal year.

The company has set multiple measures for its mid-term future, but I think that sometimes it is necessary to make a big investment while maintaining a sound revenue-expenses balance. From this perspective, I would like to know whether you have set any priorities.

Iwata:

[...]

Also, regarding what I mentioned at the Corporate Management Policy Briefing in January about our efforts to go into a new business area, namely our platform business that seeks to enrich people’s QOL (Quality of Life) in enjoyable ways, I would like to talk more specifically about the kind of business we have in mind within this year, and the current time frame we are working on puts the actual deployment of the initiative in the next fiscal year, with contributions to our profitability to follow in the following fiscal year.
Moreover, I feel that we will be able to further stimulate our platform business by taking advantage of smart devices, and I think that we will be able to provide detailed information on this as well as some concrete results between the current and the next fiscal years.
Also, the idea I mentioned about redefining the definition of video game platforms will also require approximately two years.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140508qa/index.html

So, the two main things coming from both answers:

- some of the mid-to-long-term projects will become more clear in the next FY, to the point they'll be offered to the public.
- the redefinition of systems will require approximately two years

Let's see the goals discussed at the January Briefing:
We know next FY will be when QOL launches (more precisely, during next FY and withing 2015, so between April 1st 2015 and December 31st 2015).
Using smart devices will be seen in the current and next FYs, and we already started seeing this with Mario Kart TV
amiibos are using their IPs in a different way, and they're coming this Holiday, so this FY.
Since they talked about some of the goals becoming offerable to the public in the next FY (between April 1st 2015 and March 31st 2016), and QOL is one of them, what else are we going to see in the next Fiscal Year? I suppose seeing the first console under the new guidelines (console being more like brothers, etc.etc.) could be among them. Especially if we combine that with how Iwata said it'll be about two years before we see the redefinition. Since that was said in May, around 2 years and being out in the FY ending March 2016 can perfectly match under the theory that next handheld releases between January and March 2016, which would be almost two years from May, while Holiday 2016 would be 2 years and 6-7 months since the statement.

Nintendo still absolutely has the resources and cred with the general public to recapture the console market with both core and casual gamers. I hear they have had issues adopting to HD game development. Once they get that under their belt there's no reason they can't partner with AMD and make a kick ass console, and work like Sony did to ease development. A Nintendo console that has their unique in-house library and also runs the best versions of multiplat titles sounds kind of like a no-brainer direction if they intend on remaining in the console space post Wii U. The problem though would be timing the release and convincing early adoption when Sony and Microsoft are just now starting to get their balls rolling.

Substitute Nintendo for blackberry, in house library for BBM, multiplat for apps

Im sure Nintendo will do mobile games but it'll be on their watch. That means on their own shit. Redefining the industry is going to be done by them and they will be the first to reap the rewards obviously. I dont know what they got planned especially gaming hardware wise but whatever is will be completely unpredicted by anyone here.

Apt101

Substitute Nintendo for blackberry, in house library for BBM, multiplat for apps

I don't know if that's a good analogy. Blackberry was an enterprise product and focused on that despite market trends, really a different beast in terms of tech, industry, product design, and focus. If Nintendo had never branched out and remained focused on motion controls at the expense of everything else then I could see that. But they innovated a great deal after the Wii, moved onto HD, and while not having the most diverse marketplace in terms of publishers it is pretty robust (they're netting tons of indie titles).

Game Guru

Mobile gaming is vulnerable because it relies on a minute subset of gamers who actually pay into free to play games. What would happen if that minute subset decide to just stop paying into those free to play games especially as more and more regulations against the nasty practices F2P games generally have start popping up? Could mobile gaming be as successful as it currently is without F2P?

Im sure Nintendo will do mobile games but it'll be on their watch. That means on their own shit. Redefining the industry is going to be done by them and they will be the first to reap the rewards obviously. I dont know what they got planned especially gaming hardware wise but whatever is will be completely unpredicted by anyone here.

This is quite a lot of faith to put in a company that has mismanaged just about every transition to modern day gaming possible. Account systems, HD development, region locking, user interfaces, digital storefronts, etc. They've made missteps on every single one. They have not earned the confidence to claim that they will redefine anything.

Saying game content is being devalued has a negative connotation that is only one point of view. Being revalued, or brought into line with its true worth is another possible valid viewpoint.

I think this is a valid point to consider. The market has seen the alternative and spoken their preference. There's no going back. This is the new norm, and is what people would have chosen if it was an option.

Smartphone gaming & steam sales have already devalued the industry. Now, people want things for free or for ridiculously cheap prices. On Steam, people seldom don't buy the games at standard price, but instead just wait for steam sales. Apple are apparently getting frustrated because people are not willing to spend money on games as much as they had hoped.

Hell, I run arguably the most popular Pokémon fan community. When Pokémon Battle Trozei was announced/released, a small £8 game but with a decent amount of content, there were so many ridiculous posts on my site's facebook saying "It should be free". Hell, there were even comments akin to this for the full retail title, Pokémon Art Academy. The industry has been devalued and it is getting worse.

If Nintendo put their titles on smartphones, it would absolutely devalue their brands. People would think "Why should I spend £40 on this new Mario for the Wii U when I can get this Mario for £0.99 on the iOS store".

In the face of this current mobile gaming climate where the value of games are this low, how do you propose that Nintendo fight back? As I understand it, you are staunchly against them going mobile. So you think they should try to weather the mobile storm and wait for the fad to pass? Lower the prices of their games, right as game development costs have hit an all time high? Switch to Quality of Life stuff permanently?

Nikodemos

Mobile gaming is vulnerable because it relies on a minute subset of gamers who actually pay into free to play games.
Where is that infographic showing that 10% 'whale' users support the entire current mobile gaming market?

What would happen if that minute subset decide to just stop paying into those free to play games especially as more and more regulations against the nasty practices F2P games generally have start popping up? Could mobile gaming be as successful as it currently is without F2P?
Answer to second question: no, it would definitely shrink. Answer to first question: after the collapse of the F2P market due to those sorts of games getting reclassified as online gambling, the mobile dev environment will reorient itself to the $5-10 tier. There will be fewer new game releases, though thankfully fewer copycats as well.

JoeM86

Where is that infographic showing that 10% 'whale' users support the entire current mobile gaming market?

Answer to second question: no, it would definitely shrink. Answer to first question: after the collapse of the F2P market due to those sorts of games getting reclassified as online gambling, the mobile dev environment will reorient itself to the $5-10 tier. There will be fewer new game releases, though thankfully fewer copycats as well.

That reclassification that is going on is seriously going to damage the F2P market. It's why I see a crash, especially with so many developers putting all their eggs into it.

In the face of this current mobile gaming climate where the value of games are this low, how do you propose that Nintendo fight back? As I understand it, you are staunchly against them going mobile. So you think they should try to weather the mobile storm and wait for the fad to pass? Lower the prices of their games, right as game development costs have hit an all time high? Switch to Quality of Life stuff permanently?

Nintendo can plod along as it nears. They don't have to switch to QoL permanently or lower prices (though flexible pricing is a great idea)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

It's actually a bit more drastic than that, according to several studies: 0.15% of the whole mobile devices owners provide the 50% of F2P revenue. ...Yep.

Game Guru

My point is to never assume that a situation cannot change. Mobile devices may be here to stay, but mobile games as they currently are could easily change, especially when they are dependent on a very small subset of users and use abhorrent practices akin to casinos.

ozfunghi

When there is too much on offer or the balance between supply and demand is getting skewed, prices go down, margins get smaller, studio's go out of business and the market looses its appeal. Only the best/strongest survive and the balance restores itself after a while.

No? This goes for both console games and mobile games i think. And there will always be enough people wanting a Zelda/Metroid experience, and no number of Angry birds is going to change that, i think.

No, they posted a net loss as well as an operating loss. Also, iirc, the Wii U hardware is still produced at a loss, however most of the inventory they expect to sell this year was impaired in the last fiscal year so they expect "almost no loss" on the sale of hardware units.

This past year was a net loss as well but in the FY ending March 2013 it was a 7,099 yen net income gain. They got lucky due to exchange rate basically, whereas as in prior years it had been eating into their profits. Still poor business as the operating loss shows, but the bleeding of money was temporarily stopped.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2013/annual1303e.pdf

You're right about Wii U production. It still boggles my mind they would devise a console that is so costly.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
God I can't wait for the smartphone bubble to burst for games. This is getting out of hand.

I can't wait for the whole video game bubble to burst and people to go back to tabletop RPGs.

Can't say I understand why people wanting to pay less for things that they feel have limited or less value than other things should a) be frowned upon or b) upset you. You indict steam sales and "mobile games" despite all evidence pointing to digital distribution, F2P, and for a while Facebook and browser games growing the PC market to new heights. It is a healthy, sustainable market now that is growing annually instead of declining.

The reality is that there are multiple tiers of the market-- there are people who would be satisfied with F2P, there are people who would be satisfied with $29.99, and there are people who would be satisfied with full price, console experiences.

Nintendo used to serve the people who wanted simplicity, accessibility, and cost in addition to people who wanted core Nintendo experiences. The smartphone revolution has made it such that Nintendo is no longer the cheapest, the easiest, or the most accessibly way to play games. Hence, those people left.

This is not a devaluing of the market. This is the market more in tune with what people actually want. That you would suggest this is a "devaluing" is little more than someone stamping their feet and saying, "Stop liking what I don't like."

Mobile gaming is vulnerable because it relies on a minute subset of gamers who actually pay into free to play games. What would happen if that minute subset decide to just stop paying into those free to play games especially as more and more regulations against the nasty practices F2P games generally have start popping up? Could mobile gaming be as successful as it currently is without F2P?
Mobile gaming could change, certainly. And certain games will come and go.

But the fanciful notion that people playing games on their phones and tablets is some sort of passing fancy is nonsense.
And the willing of its demise as if it will bring some sort of mass return of consumers to the Shangri-La of dedicated devices again, equally so.
This past year was a net loss as well but in the FY ending March 2013 it was a 7,099 yen net income gain. They got lucky due to exchange rate basically, whereas as in prior years it had been eating into their profits. Still poor business as the operating loss shows, but the bleeding of money was temporarily stopped.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2013/annual1303e.pdf

You're right about Wii U production. It still boggles my mind they would devise a console that is so costly.
Oh, I misread your statement; I thought you were talking about the last year ended. Yes, you're right there was a net income in FYE3/13. The operating loss/income is the more pertinent part anyway.

SerTapTap

Square seems to do okay at $15 for some FF games, though people bitch endlessly about that fact, and they're guilt of some FTP garbage as well, like the swiping game that shall not be named.

They would make money, sure. And maybe even the brand would become stronger. But then nobody would ever buy Nintendo hardware again, and we'd all be forced to play what were once some of the best franchises in gaming on touch screens. So if it's true that Iwata is staving off upper management on this, then kudos to him. (But PS, I don't believe that rumor)

A report published on Japanese website Business Journal details alleged turmoil within management at Nintendo. The article claims that there’s a shared recognition of Iwata being the culprit among management. While there is a strong desire to bring games/franchises like Mario to smartphones, Iwata is strongly vetoing the idea. Iwata reiterates that “Nintendo’s strength is in unified development of game hardware and software”, stubbornly rejects the “net” (seems to reference how smartphones don’t use physical media since they download games), and fixates over “game consoles” – perhaps in light of his pride as a former developer.

Hiroshi Yamauchi, the previous president of Nintendo, passed away last fall. Apparently, no one remains who can defy Iwata. There are also rumors of management scheming to get rid of the president. Another insider quote shared by Business Journal claims that there’s cultural friction based on how Iwata comes from outside the company (maybe given his origins at HAL Laboratory?). He continues to be involved with software development even after becoming president and there is a feeling of helplessness among “native” Nintendo executives. Another point worth mentioning: supposedly, managers who oppose Iwata would want Yamauchi’s first son to become Nintendo’s president.

Read more at http://nintendoeverything.com/report-details-supposed-turmoil-within-nintendo-management/
I wonder if there is any credence towards this report on how there's turmoil between Iwata and the management.

while they might welcome any and all sorts of games on their system, they aren't willing to bend so far that their platform resembles a ps4 or an xbox one. i think they prefer making their own franchises popular enough so that people copy those- to build their own ecosystem and predictable and lucrative fanbase versus hoping sony's or microsoft's will suddenly be interested in the kinds of games nintendo makes.

Nintendo is going to have no choice but to play with the major ballers in the industry if they are intent on maintaining a home console presence. Most games that are sold today are of the third party variety and the fact that nintendo has ignored this fact is haunting them . Nintendo's way is no longer working and only appeals to a rapidly shrinking market.

I wonder if there is any credence towards this report on how there's turmoil between Iwata and the management.

Where there is smoke there is fire. I'm sure stockholders and investors have the same information we have and even more to be exact; just with the limited info we have we know things aren't looking good. Imagine what the stockholders and others in nintendo are seeing

Consumers might not want to pay more for a videogame than they do for a single song on iTunes but it is really difficult to justify that price as being 'its true worth'.

Where there is smoke there is fire. I'm sure stockholders and investors have the same information we have and even more to be exact; just with the limited info we have we know things aren't looking good. Imagine what the stockholders and others in nintendo are seeing

Well the stock holders had their chance to do something about it back in June, and we all know what happened there.

Tripon

Well, Hiroshi Yamauchi had absolutely no qualifications other than family ties when he took over Nintendo...

WHen Hiroshi Yamauchi took over Nintendo, Nintendo was still a fairly small company focusing on Hanafuda cards. He was also a ruthless businessman, something that Katsuhito Yamauchi isn't. There's a reason why Katsuhito is producing Pokemon movies, he doesn't want to to run the company like his father did, so to hear his name being bought up as a potential successor is a bit odd.

Y2Kev

Consumers might not want to pay more for a videogame than they do for a single song on iTunes but it is really difficult to justify that price as being 'its true worth'.

That's fundamentally not a belief held by capitalists. There is a tremendous amount of information given to us by prices. Things are worth what people are willing to pay.

That is, mind you, that if the market doesn't support a $34.99 price point for Pokemon Trozei, then...well, you can finish the sentence.

I don't know how you would arrive at some game's intrinsic value. Seems like a completely subjective measure based on how much you like something.

That's fundamentally not a belief held by capitalists. There is a tremendous amount of information given to us by prices. Things are worth what people are willing to pay.

No, market equilibrium is the place where costs and pricing align that a sustainable market can occur.

Right now neither the AAA market nor the mobile market are at anything close to sustainability; mobile has gone insane with a race to the bottom (and due to a discovery problem, you have seen market leaders doing the equivalent of price dumping to push others out) and AAA has gone insane with development budgets.

Mobile now is where facebook gaming was a few years back; it is just not sustainable.

Its nice to prefer things but the problem is that "ecosystem" that they don't appeal to is pretty much 90% of the hardcore gaming market. They can't appeal to casual customers and they can't appeal to the dedicated gamers.

Y2Kev

No, market equilibrium is the place where costs and pricing align that a sustainable market can occur.

Right now neither the AAA market nor the mobile market are at anything close to sustainability; mobile has gone insane with a race to the bottom (and due to a discovery problem, you have seen market leaders doing the equivalent of price dumping to push others out) and AAA has gone insane with development budgets.

Mobile now is where facebook gaming was a few years back; it is just not sustainable.

This makes no sense. Where are you pulling these terms from? Market equilibrium is the price that "clears" a market; the "competitive price" in which the amount of goods that buyers want to buy is exactly equal to the amount of goods sellers want to sell is when a market is said to be in equilibrium.

There's no measure of cost in market equilibria. There are a number of reasons why a market would be stuck out of equilibrium, like natural monopoly for one or patent protection for another, but this isn't a function of cost (ok, lying here about natural monopolies, but only indirectly).

I am not sure what you are talking about. You just don't seem to like mobile gaming.

This makes no sense. Where are you pulling these terms from? Market equilibrium is the price that "clears" a market; the "competitive price" in which the amount of goods that buyers want to buy is exactly equal to the amount of goods sellers want to sell is when a market is said to be in equilibrium.

There's no measure of cost in market equilibria. There are a number of reasons why a market would be stuck out of equilibrium, like natural monopoly for one or patent protection for another, but this isn't a function of cost.

Competitive market equilibrium is entirely about costs and benefits as the end result is pareto efficiency.

I am not sure what you are talking about. You just don't seem to like mobile gaming.

I have no problem with mobile gaming, I have a problem with the current mobile market.

I bet a good chunk of the people complaining about mobile gaming were right there defending the wii line as people were wishing it would crash. And I laugh at people expecting some mobile gaming crash as if people will suddenly not want to play games on their phone or tablet.

StevieP

Banned
I bet a good chunk of the people complaining about mobile gaming were right there defending the wii line as people were wishing it would crash.

Wii sports is quite a bit different than the current mobile landscape, sorry. I don't recall having to buy a bowling ball after my third throw, or taking the option of waiting 24h to finish the match.

And last I recall, 30+ million copies of Mario kart weren't sold for a buck a pop.

I must have missed that part where Wii games were maximum retail price $0.99.

Yes because it was so much better to spend 50 bucks on some of that crap. The games market can crash if they can't find a sustainable way to compete against mobile games.

Its quite confusing that people seem to be suggesting artificially inflating the price of games to prevent some devaluation of the market. I dont think I've ever seen consumers argue the price of something should be higher before.

Mobile is facebook gaming made more convenient, in the same way that market jumped from Wii before that. Those users aren't dissapearing, they are just going elsewhere. Your claims about sustainability are laughable, since is not based on facts, just clear prejudice.

Mobile gaming is a bit of a "Wild West" situation as of now, but that's only because the big boys haven't devoted their full resources to development for it yet. Like every market, I am sure a few will begin to dominate, and customers will end up paying more than "free" or "99 cents" either up front or little by little.

The games market can crash if they can't find a sustainable way to compete against mobile games.

Likewise the games market can crash if all titles produced are price-capped at a sub-$1 threshold because people keep seeing how much money a few titles rake in, and expect to sell 10 million copies of their $0.99 game and stay in business after they've spent their $5 million venture capitalist investment on production budget, then end up selling 200 copies.

It is mental for the 'traditional' gaming market to expect every game to be COD and set production budgets accordingly.

It is just as mental for the mobile gaming market to expect every game to be candy crush saga and set pricing accordingly.

EDIT:
Your claims about sustainability are laughable, since is not based on facts, just clear prejudice.

AppPromo-WakeUpCallInfographic.jpg

Wii sports is quite a bit different than the current mobile landscape, sorry. I don't recall having to buy a bowling ball after my third throw, or taking the option of waiting 24h to finish the match.

And last I recall, 30+ million copies of Mario kart weren't sold for a buck a pop.

You wouldn't have to spent 60$ to get a Wii Sports game on mobile, only 5$, that's why people are jumping ship from Wii to smartphones.

And yeah, the company making the game for 5$ makes a profit, because is a game that can be made by 4 people on a garage instead of 30 people on a Nintendo building.

Top Bottom