• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo FY14 Q1: 0.82M 3DS, 0.51M Wii U, MK8 2.82M shipped, 10 billion yen loss

Can you please explain this further? I do not understand your perspective here. A supplier being unable to supply at an equilibrium price would leave the market. How does artificially increasing the price make no one worse off (supposing the affected party is not compensated)?

I have not seen pareto efficiency used in this manner.

Classical supply and demand models cannot be applied to digital goods, because digital goods are neither homogenous nor supply limited; effectively every single title available though DD is grotesquely over supplied in market saturation. The limiting factor for consumer adoption is time, not supplier availability (as noone can play everything).

What you currently see in the DD mobile market is closer to a nash competition game equilibrium, where the "winning" strategy (one that cannot be undercut by a rival) is to charge nothing; but this is a "strategic" result, not a naturally occurring free market result.
Given we know that there is a minimum marginal cost (iOS developer fees) for every product, and we also know titles are being 'sold' at below marginal cost, equilibrium cannot be maintained, because suppliers cannot run at a loss forever (and it doesn't make the headlines like a Neversoft closing does, but iOS developers are shut down weekly).

True pareto efficiency is a zero sum game, where you cannot make any gains that are not at the expense of a competitor; we can therefore see that there is not current competitive equilibrium, as pareto improvements are demonstrably still possible - any given successful supplier could choose to raise the price of their product and not negatively affect a competitor by doing so (in fact it would arguably benefit all suppliers to collude and do so).

In a competitive equilibrium (a sustainable market) with infinite supply of non-homogenous products by multiple independent (non-colluding) suppliers, price is naturally defined by marginal cost + fixed cost + profit margin, not by demand.

Pareto efficiency would be reached in that each consumer of title A would then not choose to consume title B, or vice versa (time being the only constraint on demand).
Where there is homogeneity of titles (2 extremely similar same genre titles) price would only be a determinate where one company has achieved greater cost efficiency but without any qualitative change to the product (for example a "Saints Row" is perceived to be similar to a "GTA" but of a lesser quality; a "Saints Row" and a "GTA" can compete where a consumer has time for both, or where the lesser quality product is cheaper. If consumers only have time for one title, and they are both equally priced, "Saints Row" is pushed out of the market.)

Tomohawk

Why does everything has to be so damn huge nowadays to be a success.. Why isn't..

"we made a good game, many people enjoyed it and we got enough moneys to pay the rent and feed the family and cats"

.. good enough for people?

I know why.. It's the damn nineties and the record companies who are to blame... But that's a different story..

But still.. Making a good game doesen't seem to be worth shit anymore. That's the reason I like Nintendo. As far as I can tell they are at least in it for the games and gamers. Willing to take risks and be the "kids" console, because kids have right to play as well... Of the big three... Others... Naaah not so much.

Well the problem is nintendo's losing money, that means if this continues they cant pay the rent.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Well the problem is nintendo's losing money, that means if this continues they cant pay the rent.

I can't go through all those numbers, but is it a 10 billion yen loss of projected sales rather than operating costs exceeding revenue by 10 billion yen. The second one (as in Nintendo actually losing money rather than projected revenue), is almost unbelievable.

Shantom

I can't go through all those numbers, but is it a 10 billion yen loss of projected sales rather than operating costs exceeding revenue by 10 billion yen. The second one (as in Nintendo actually losing money rather than projected revenue), is almost unbelievable.

It's the third line in the OP. 'Operating income -9.47B yen '

Portugeezer

How the hell is Nintendo still losing money? This is solely a Wii U issue, no? And people still believe we won't get a gamepad-less version?

Okamid3n

Worth is a personal assessment. I can't say an aircraft is worth 20 billion if it can't fly, no matter if that is what I spent on developing it. I can only say it cost 20 billion to produce.

If the maximum amount anyone is willing to pay for a game is 99 cents, then games are worth 99 cents, no matter the cost of development. You have to balance potential sales at the price people value your product (its worth to them) to establish a reasonable production budget.

Market price isn't the same as "worth", or rather, "value". And also, there are economical theories that try to link the cost of production to the value. It's not that simple, you can't brush off the cost of production due to unreasonable consumer expectations.

Plus, you're likely to read that "market value and market price are equal only under conditions of market efficiency, equilibrium, and rational expectations."
I dare say that the expectation that a big-budget title should cost no more than 15$ at launch (being very generous) is not a rational expectation. This quote also explains why your aircraft example doesn't fit here, since the expectation that this aircraft is not worth 20 billions is quite a rational one.

With that said, I still think Nintendo should use the mobile market as an additional revenue stream, they might even be one of the very few lucky ones and have a breakaway success or two. But it should not be their main revenue stream.

Just throwing my 99 cents here. I might sound matter-of-fact but I will correct my position if I am proven wrong.

How the hell is Nintendo still losing money? This is solely a Wii U issue, no? And people still believe we won't get a gamepad-less version?

Revenue from selling consoles / games:

+34.497 billion JPY from selling hardware
+39.804 billion JPY from selling software
+0.394 billion JPY from selling playing cards / other
=
+74.695 billion JPY total revenue

Direct costs incurred in producing and selling consoles / games: -42.169 billion JPY

Depreciation of Property, Plant, and Equipment: -1.229 billion JPY

Research and Development Expenses: -15.450 billion JPY

Advertising Expenses: -11.874 billion JPY

Other Selling, General, and Administrative Expenses: -13.443 billion JPY

=
-84.165 billion JPY in operating expenses

= Nintendo lost 9.470 billion JPY ($92.3 million) this quarter.

numble

They shipped 600,000 less 3DS compared to last year during the same timeframe, despite having a cheaper model this time around. Games cost more to make.

I wonder if the Wii U is selling at a loss. I would think that with Nintendo's billions in the war chest they could afford to sell the systems at a considerable loss to get more in households. I'm not really sure how the profit pie is split when it comes to first party games, but it would seem like the majority of the sale of first party games would go back to Nintendo. Surely they wouldn't have to sell too many first party games to make up the loss on the console. And let's face it, if you're buying a Wii U, you're buying it to play first party games.

Portugeezer

I wonder if the Wii U is selling at a loss. I would think that with Nintendo's billions in the war chest they could afford to sell the systems at a considerable loss to get more in households. I'm not really sure how the profit pie is split when it comes to first party games, but it would seem like the majority of the sale of said first party game would go back to Nintendo. Surely they wouldn't have to sell too many first party games to make up the loss on the console. And let's face it, if you're buying a Wii U, you're buying it to play first party games.

I think they are cutting their losses, they won't even bother doing that at this point. Didn't Iwata at one point just basically say that Nintendo will support Wii U with games that the fans expect (Mario, Smash Bros, Zelda), and it seemed like he was not confident about Wii U being a long term prospect for Nintendo.

AniHawk

what kind of work goes into r&d? is that where the costs of game development go? i assume it's not all hardware experimentation.

Hiltz

Iwata' s statement from February 2014 shareholders Q&A:
Regarding Wii U, it is not easy to make a significant profit with the current units sold. The price reduction of the hardware in the overseas markets represents a large amount of our total expenditure for this fiscal year, but based on the premise that we will not make such a reduction in the next fiscal year, I think our business can operate without such a negative effect on our profitability.

So does that mean Wii U won't break even until after March 2015 ?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Classical supply and demand models cannot be applied to digital goods, because digital goods are neither homogenous nor supply limited; effectively every single title available though DD is grotesquely over supplied in market saturation. The limiting factor for consumer adoption is time, not supplier availability (as noone can play everything).

What you currently see in the DD mobile market is closer to a nash competition game equilibrium, where the "winning" strategy (one that cannot be undercut by a rival) is to charge nothing; but this is a "strategic" result, not a naturally occurring free market result.
Given we know that there is a minimum marginal cost (iOS developer fees) for every product, and we also know titles are being 'sold' at below marginal cost, equilibrium cannot be maintained, because suppliers cannot run at a loss forever (and it doesn't make the headlines like a Neversoft closing does, but iOS developers are shut down weekly).

True pareto efficiency is a zero sum game, where you cannot make any gains that are not at the expense of a competitor; we can therefore see that there is not current competitive equilibrium, as pareto improvements are demonstrably still possible - any given successful supplier could choose to raise the price of their product and not negatively affect a competitor by doing so (in fact it would arguably benefit all suppliers to collude and do so).

In a competitive equilibrium (a sustainable market) with infinite supply of non-homogenous products by multiple independent (non-colluding) suppliers, price is naturally defined by marginal cost + fixed cost + profit margin, not by demand.

Pareto efficiency would be reached in that each consumer of title A would then not choose to consume title B, or vice versa (time being the only constraint on demand).
Where there is homogeneity of titles (2 extremely similar same genre titles) price would only be a determinate where one company has achieved greater cost efficiency but without any qualitative change to the product (for example a "Saints Row" is perceived to be similar to a "GTA" but of a lesser quality; a "Saints Row" and a "GTA" can compete where a consumer has time for both, or where the lesser quality product is cheaper. If consumers only have time for one title, and they are both equally priced, "Saints Row" is pushed out of the market.)

Now I think we're getting somewhere. I think your reasoning is sound, but I disagree with your conclusions. Suppliers are not going to be making a decision to supply X number of units or Y number of units but instead to supply at all. I think you're discounting revenues generated after point of sale and I'm not sure why. Yes, I agree that 0 is a sale price below marginal cost in every instance (though if you want to look at marginal cost of digital goods, it is close to or at exactly 0), but why don't you count downstream revenues? Regardless of whether or not you feel the industry is in a sustainable point or at a point of equilibrium, surely the existence of successful test cases should demonstrate that there are revenues after the point of sale to be considered.

All that said, I'm still confused as to how this discussion sprouted.

I disagree that true Pareto Efficiency is zero sum. Yes, the classical definition is that "no one can be better off without someone else being worse off," but there are very clear exceptions. Pareto efficient outcomes can be achieved with compensation or transfer payments when the total amount of benefit gained exceeds the amount of which the disadvantaged party loses. I've never seen pareto efficiency talked about in this sense, though, because obviously we should be looking at two separate axes-- suppliers vs. demanders, or two separate allocations of some resource...why are we talking about supplier vs. supplier? That would hold true for any competitive market. Any producer of widget should collude with every other producer of widget to produce a higher cost widget. I'm not seeing the applicability. But, regardless, I'm still confused as to what we're talking about.

I said that the true value of something is what people are willing to pay for it. You are suggesting that the price should be determined by cost of production and profit margin. Why doesn't this apply in any other non-mobile, digital market?

I don't think the physical market is appropriately defined as being comprised of homogenous goods either, mind you, at least not in a classical sense. Any non metallurgical or energy product....or super basic industrial machinery product...is going to struggle to meet that definition.

Just remind me...what do you want for the price of games?

Weird to see their digital sales down. I personally have been buying more from the eshop this past year. I wonder what contributed to the drop-off.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Weird to see their digital sales down. I personally have been buying more from the eshop this past year. I wonder what contributed to the drop-off.

Tomodachi Life, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem DLC among others contributed to Nintendo's digital sales in Q1 2014 - Q1 2015 did not have such titles, as such download sales suffered hence the decline.

I'll just say supply and demand CAN be applied to digital goods because they rely on limited infrastructure at the very least.

I'll also say that the price that a SUPPLIER wants for a good is determined by their cost and whatever margin they want to make, that won't be the real price most of the time though, a price for something is arrived at through negotiation. It is never "objective".

One more thing, the distinction between, what was it?, a strategic price and what will be arrived at by "natural" market processes is dubious imo.

Tomodachi Life, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem DLC among others contributed to Nintendo's digital sales in Q1 2014 - Q1 2015 did not have such titles, as such download sales suffered hence the decline.

Very true, I bought all of those digitally for my 3DS. Didn't realize they didn't count for this new fiscal year.

Dr. Serkan Toto @serkantoto This report suggests there is serious trouble in Nintendo’s upper management: 任天堂、遠のく経営再建 内部で経営陣の対立深刻化、“岩田社長降ろし”も表面化 http://biz-journal.jp/2014/08/post_5585.html

Dr. Serkan Toto ‏@serkantoto @NintendoTweet Yes, the article says management is more and more vs. Iwata, saying he is too arrogant and not able to assess the status quo.

Dr. Serkan Toto ‏@serkantoto @NintendoTweet Right, this is just a news report, so god knows if how accurate it is. According to the article, criticism has been mounting.

Interesting tweets from Serkan Toto twitter.

makes sense. costs have essentially doubled from the wii/ds era it seems, except for last year when they spent about $200m more than they planned/usually do. i assume it was for amiibos.

There was that tech acquisition for $150m that we still don't have details concerning. Something QoL related makes sense.

Dr. Serkan Toto @serkantoto This report suggests there is serious trouble in Nintendo’s upper management: 任天堂、遠のく経営再建 内部で経営陣の対立深刻化、“岩田社長降ろし”も表面化 http://biz-journal.jp/2014/08/post_5585.html

Dr. Serkan Toto ‏@serkantoto @NintendoTweet Yes, the article says management is more and more vs. Iwata, saying he is too arrogant and not able to assess the status quo.

Dr. Serkan Toto ‏@serkantoto @NintendoTweet Right, this is just a news report, so god knows if how accurate it is. According to the article, criticism has been mounting.

Interesting tweets from Serkan Toto twitter.
I wouldn't be surprised if unrest is rising.

Cse

Banned
Honestly, how much longer can Nintendo persist if they continue to lose $80-$100 million per quarter?

Given their financial state, could they even afford to release a new handheld or console that has considerably more power than their current systems?

AniHawk

Honestly, how much longer can Nintendo persist if they continue to lose $80-$100 million per quarter?

Given their financial state, could they even afford to release a new handheld or console that has considerably more power than their current systems?

i assume their next platform won't be too much more intense than the wii u.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
what kind of work goes into r&d? is that where the costs of game development go? i assume it's not all hardware experimentation.

The R&D cost is a big one in my opinion because Nintendo spent a good deal of money investing internally (new development complex, additional hires, relocation and restructure process) and externally (Pux Corp, Others).

You won't see any traditional software releases from the re-structured groups this year, nor their new QoL products.

AniHawk

Acquisitions like that deplete cash, but wouldn't be calculated in earnings and losses.

r&d last year was about $710m compared to the $520-$570m for 2013 and 2014 (projected), and it was included in their earnings statement. at the start of the fiscal year, they had projected to spend $550m. what would have caused such a huge and unexpected spike?

r&d last year was about $710m compared to the $520-$570m for 2013 and 2014 (projected), and it was included in their earnings statement. at the start of the fiscal year, they had projected to spend $550m. what would have caused such a huge and unexpected spike?
Ramping up R&D for a new product like Amiibo or maybe their next handheld?

numble

All Iwata said was:
"The estimated increase of research and development expenses is based on reflecting our ongoing enhancement of the development structure, and new research and development activities."

Its amazing that almost every single digital company on the planet got the whole account thing right on their very first try with some being almost a decade ago and yet nintendo is still trying to figure it out.

They're not inept. It's by design. They will fix their digital services when they figure out how to sell people Super Mario Bros 3 and their old games over and over with it.

They don't want people buying the games once and expecting it forever on a digital service they offer.

jmizzal

Here's a rough translation of one of the juicy insider quotes. Disclaimer: it's been ages since I took Japanese.

There's another insider quote later which claims that there's cultural friction due to Iwata's coming from outside the company. It says that Iwata continues to take part in software development even after becoming president and looks down on Nintendo "natives" as being, not sure how exactly to translate this, not dedicated enough? (口ばかりで体を張っていない。) Meanwhile, said "natives" feel that Iwata ignores their opinions.

If that rumor is true, then all those people on here calling for Iwata's head better be careful what they wish for, he is the person against cell phone games and some other people are

Hiltz

Other board members like Shigeru Miyamoto , share Iwata's stance against putting games on smart phones. Iwata only wants to use them as a marketing tool.

Here's a comment me made about it last month:

"I do not believe that [mobile games] will completely control the future of video games, adding that mobile devices do not provide enough security when used by children, and this is an important factor to Nintendo. Taking into consideration that more and more children have a good command of these kinds of media, which help these media to spread, the most important task for Nintendo is how to provide new styles of entertainment by using these technologies, and how to make these new kinds of entertainment yield significant sales and profits."

Shinya Takahashi, director of Software Planning at Nintendo (and Nintendo board member) reiterated Nintendo's plans to use smartphones and mobile devices as a marketing tool:
"We are currently developing an application for smart devices," he said. "Through such an application, we would like to connect with many consumers around the world, including those who do not own Nintendo’s video game systems, and communicate the value of our entertainment offerings."

iwata is awesome

This was an extremely insightful post.

if they actually keep losing that much, they'll be gone by 2025, however that is rather unlikely (at least one would think so....)

and yes they can easily make a new handheld/console that's much more powerful, especially the former with the 3DS's crap 240p resolution

mr_toa

YFiPriU.png

Interesting to see that most regions saw growth YoY, barring Japan which imploded to close to half the size of 2013.

With almost stable Hardware sale and a significant drop of Software (where their pay-off should be) YoY it's no small wonder, that Iwata is looking elsewhere for Nintendo's Next-Big-Thing (QoL...)

I do not believe that [mobile games] will completely control the future of video games...
This is something of a strawman, really. I don't think everyone believes that mobile games will "completely control the future of video games." But smartphones and tablets command certain market segments in gaming, which previously drove them to enormous success, and are eating into market segments upon which they've traditionally relied e.g. children's portable gaming market, leading to reduced sales and revenues and thus current issues with profitability.
adding that mobile devices do not provide enough security when used by children, and this is an important factor to Nintendo
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/pictures-story/596-2-best-parental-control-apps.html
kids.jpg

The degree to which parents can Big Brother these smart devices with apps probably exceeds parental control systems on dedicated devices.

Constant high prices with very limited sales. No cross buy. Sparse VC releases. Not a big concept that if nintendo doesn't price digital goods correctly along with sales that sales will go down.

Tons of retail shops do sales while nintendo eShop does not. Best buy had buy one get one. Gamestop has paper Mario and professor Layton at 9.99. 30+ on eShop. Why buy from them? It's an insult to the customer.

Now I think we're getting somewhere. I think your reasoning is sound, but I disagree with your conclusions. Suppliers are not going to be making a decision to supply X number of units or Y number of units but instead to supply at all. I think you're discounting revenues generated after point of sale and I'm not sure why. Yes, I agree that 0 is a sale price below marginal cost in every instance (though if you want to look at marginal cost of digital goods, it is close to or at exactly 0), but why don't you count downstream revenues? Regardless of whether or not you feel the industry is in a sustainable point or at a point of equilibrium, surely the existence of successful test cases should demonstrate that there are revenues after the point of sale to be considered.

F2P economies rely on there being an uncapped price ceiling, not on the price floor being a profitable or sustainable equilibrium; this is probably why some people refer to it as a 'bubble', because it requires the attraction and retention of 'whales', of whom there are a fixed number.

All that said, I'm still confused as to how this discussion sprouted.

I said I believe the $0.99 to be less than the 'worth' of the product and that the mobile market has devalued that 'worth' in consumer expectations, not adjusted to reflect actual values.

I disagree that true Pareto Efficiency is zero sum. Yes, the classical definition is that "no one can be better off without someone else being worse off," but there are very clear exceptions. Pareto efficient outcomes can be achieved with compensation or transfer payments when the total amount of benefit gained exceeds the amount of which the disadvantaged party loses.

Like most economic concepts pareto efficiency is a myth that exists solely to derive hypothetical models from, and is never fully achievable; I've seen it used a number of times as an aspirational state for 'perfect' competition in a market though.

I've never seen pareto efficiency talked about in this sense, though, because obviously we should be looking at two separate axes-- suppliers vs. demanders, or two separate allocations of some resource...why are we talking about supplier vs. supplier? That would hold true for any competitive market. Any producer of widget should collude with every other producer of widget to produce a higher cost widget. I'm not seeing the applicability. But, regardless, I'm still confused as to what we're talking about.

All markets would benefit from collusion, but human nature and game theory being what it is, any sufficiently large market (large as in number of suppliers of goods rather than value) collusion becomes impossible, because strategic competition will always strive for pareto efficiency - ie knocking a competitor out of the market.

I said that the true value of something is what people are willing to pay for it. You are suggesting that the price should be determined by cost of production and profit margin. Why doesn't this apply in any other non-mobile, digital market?

It does, but many other DD markets have solved the discoverability issue better than mobile gaming has (which is the incentive to price dump, as the current market is feast or famine based on whether you make it to a top ten list), and have also evolved from previous retail presence in a way that mobile has not;
- A song on iTunes costs slightly less than a tenth of what a 10-track CD used to cost to purchase, in line with the savings made by switching to DD.
- An eBook costs slightly less than what a book used to cost to purchase, in line with the savings made by switching to DD.
- A DD movie rental costs slightly less than a physical rental did when those were available
These are mature industries that know their absolute bottom lines for a sustainable business.
"traditional" games DD prices are currently priced too highly (outside of Steam firesales) due to fear of upsetting retail, particularly in the console space.

I don't think the physical market is appropriately defined as being comprised of homogenous goods either, mind you, at least not in a classical sense. Any non metallurgical or energy product....or super basic industrial machinery product...is going to struggle to meet that definition.

Like I said above with pareto efficiency, all economics models are hypothetical constructs for ease of analysis and are never expected to be seen in real life, which is why there are so many different models of directly contradictory conclusions, as each attempts to model some different aspect of the myriad of human behaviours that exist and factors that contribute to the behaviours of producers and consumers, which are often both irrational and unpredictable.

The only guarantee in economics, is that eventually the forecasts are wrong.

Just remind me...what do you want for the price of games?

I think there should be room in the market and in consumers expectations for flexible pricing; based on historical pricing and the savings of a DD model, a price scale ranging from $0 to $40 would seem fairer and more sustainable, with the majority of titles released falling along a bell curve at the $15-$25 range.

heidern

The word your overlooking is sustainable. Consumers can value games at $0.99 but if that does not allow a sustainable market then either there will be a reduction in the cost of production and/or a reduction in the number of products. This supply side reduction in quality/quantity/diversity is likely to lead to a further demand side reduction which can lead to a vicious cycle. The bursting of the bubble could vary from a small reduction up to a complete market collapse.

The point from another perspective being that there is a supply side bubble because there seems to be lots of potential demand and lots of profits, but there could also be a demand side bubble because there is lots of supply of quality product at an attractive price.

These bubbles are also visible in the core gaming market, indie games market, handhelds and of course we've already seen the Nintendo expanded audience bubbles bursting.

JoeM86

discussion on this topic ran its course months ago when it was apparent that they aren't doing anything to change

There is no room for insight when the company's problems are so clear

Except they have outlined change. It's just the change isn't what people here want, which is a third x86 console.

They've outlined how the accounts will be, how the future platforms will share OS and thus purchases etc., how the new setup with their next devices allows for easier development for third parties...especially across both formats.

Except they have outlined change. It's just the change isn't what people here want, which is a third x86 console.

They've outlined how the accounts will be, how the future platforms will share OS and thus purchases etc., how the new setup with their next devices allows for easier development for third parties...especially across both formats.

There's no reason they can't change their account systems now. Waiting it out will lose them more market share.

It´s irrelevant to the actual sales performance, it´s more a nerd discussion topic thats getting overblown than anything else.

Even if it were overblown it's still a huge issue. I've stopped buying games digitally from them. They don't have cross buy. You file a police report to have to get your digital belongings transferred. I'm not alone in that I've become weary of their doings and have made mention to fellow friends and family on Nintendo's backward approach.

This issue should have been fixed with the 3DS and Wii U, but ignored it. Their financials are horrible and their failing to do anything to fix it. Instead they promise new systems are the answer. They've screwed up and are 15 years behind on an account systems and online ecosystems. They are their own failure by being too slow and relaxed.

It hurts to say it, but they deserve their downfall.

Top Bottom