• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo FY14 Q2: 1.27M 3DS, 0.61M Wii U, 24.2 billion yen profit

LOCK

They're happy with huge monthly and yearly declines in hardware sales??

That's poor business.
Well this is only half true for half a fiscal year.
Unless USA and Europe have good deals for holidays, 3DS sales will be bad. People know that n3DS is coming.
Not people that plan to buy a 3DS this holiday. Only us on the internet knows about the N3DS. Plus the people that buy hardware years after it is available are always on the lagging side of hardware adoption curves.

I think Nintendo will have great discounts to get rid of hardware.

There's an investor briefing at 10AM JST on the 30th of October (tomorrow morning, Japan time). We'll get digital versions in English of the slides and a transcript of the speech tomorrow, but the Q&A won't be up until a day or so later in Japanese, followed by an officially translated English version a couple of days after that (I'd guess Monday Japan time).

Unfortunately, due to a change in his company's policy, @gibbogame (aka David Gibson) won't be able to live-tweet the event, iirc, as he has done in the past.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the change in policy. Oh well, I guess we'll have to wait a little longer to hear the ridiculous questions the investors are going to ask.

On a related note, has it been said if Iwata is gonna be the one giving the presentation/asking questions or will it be Miyamoto again?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
They've only shipped 1.88m in total across the whole "Others" region, which includes the whole world outside of Japan and Americas. If the channel is still stuffed with even that small total then it just goes to show how much of an irrelevance Wii U is in PAL/Others. In comparison it has shipped 630k in H1 for a total of 3.43m in the Americas.

That's right, but Europe was the worst offender last year. As I said there were negative shipments. We know some figures already: France was at 340k Wii Us before MK8 with 2014 being 50% up on 2013 in the same period, Spain is currently at 100k (by comparison Xbone is at 50k), UK is roughly around 200k, Germany is at 350k.

Europe if a tough sale, Playstation is the king. It's all about perspective and expectations. Even Nintendo gave the example of Nintendo France as best performing (compared to expectations). I would be curios to see also the gap in costs (especially marketing costs) between regions, because Europe seems the one that gets the least out of it.

Griss

This bodes well for their future plan to consolidate development. The smartphone threat probably can't get far more acute. To make a healthy quarterly profit with a catastrophic console, a collapsed handheld, and negligible third party licensing fees is a good sign. If they use their resources more carefully, I think Nintendo can continue as a hardware maker for a while longer.

This is always my point. If Nintendo can find a way to survive now, at 'peak smartphone', when tablet sales are falling because everyone has one, and with the terrible sales they're currently getting, then they should be able to survive on into the future if they aren't idiotic about their next products. There's always the chance some other hugely disruptive element changes things again, but I don't see it. VR won't be it, I feel confident of that. For the PC gamer, maybe, but not for the mass market.

Smartphones and tablets changed everything, but that market is settling down now and beginning to be understood and to mature. The massive disruption is over - it's now just reality, and one Nintendo will hopefully understand when they plan their next moves. Nintendo will hopefully be able to find their niche in this new gaming landscape and continue to make profits, even if the Wii and DS days are over for good.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the change in policy. Oh well, I guess we'll have to wait a little longer to hear the ridiculous questions the investors are going to ask.

On a related note, has it been said if Iwata is gonna be the one giving the presentation/asking questions or will it be Miyamoto again?

As much as I appreciate David and his Tweets, some of what he has posted in his haste was confusingly worded or down-right wrong. There's always the chance of a Japanese investor tweeting the event, it happened before, if I'm remembering rightly.

I've heard nothing specific about who, but given Iwata is seemingly back at work as of the N3DS announcement Direct, I imagine he'll be there. He'll want to reassure investors of his health and vision, I imagine.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
On another positive note:

Japanese video game maker Nintendo Co's Chief Executive Satoru Iwata said on Wednesday he had recovered well enough from surgery in June to remove a tumour in his bile duct to enable him to resume his regular work duties.

The veteran executive's comments came as he presented Nintendo quarterly earnings in his first appearance before reporters since having surgery. He said he had lost weight, but felt healthier.

Iwata has come under pressure in recent years over Nintendo's declining popularity as consumers shift to mobile gaming and new consoles from rivals Sony Corp and Microsoft Corp. But on Wednesday Nintendo reported an unexpected quarterly operating profit, thanks to improved sales of its Wii U console.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/29/idUSL4N0SO3KN20141029

narton

If this is what they're forecasting for 3DS sales, I'd have to think they're gonna get N3DS out to the rest of the world before April. I wonder if we'll hear anymore concrete bundle plans. Like the 2DS ORAS bundle in UK, I"m amazed it hasn't been announced for the USA.

crinale

It looks like they still aren't making WiiU and thus reducing operating loss (it's still a loss but it got reduced quite a bit). Until they clear out all WiiU stocks they really can't do about the price IMO.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Excellent news, I'm glad to see the negative trend (losses) has come to a halt. What intrigues me the most is the briefing tomorrow however, mainly becuase of what it's being called:

Corporate Management Policy Briefing / Second Quarter Financial Results Briefing (for institutional investors and securities analysts)
Historically, only one Corporate Management Policy Briefing has been holden annually (calendar year) either in January or October. Meaning that this calendar year, we will have had two of these briefings! Prepare for megatons, even gigatons. I say.

Shame David Gibson won't be able to live tweet though, but we'll get the slides soon enough anyway.

I'm very glad to hear this. :)

Rösti;136408123 said:
Excellent news, I'm glad to see the negative trend (losses) has come to a halt. What intrigues me the most is the briefing tomorrow however, mainly becuase of what it's being called:

Historically, only one Corporate Management Policy Briefing has been holden annually (calendar year) either in January or October. Meaning that this calendar year, we will have had two of these briefings! Prepare for megatons, even gigatons. I say.

Shame David Gibson won't be able to live tweet though, but we'll get the slides soon enough anyway.

Good catch. Hopefully this means they'll finally start unraveling the mystery of their QoL strategy.

Eolz

Far from "great" numbers but that's really good since the next quarter will obviously be better.
A step in the right direction, and Iwata will face less angry investors than usual
good fir his health
Can't wait for the presentation and Q&A to be published in English as usual.

Striek

Woof, an operating profit for once, well done Ninty.

Breaking down the results aren't pretty still, with the lowest sales in basically forever for them.

It will be interesting to see whether they can maintain profitability and implement some manevoures to salvage the Wii U (been a long time since a pricedrop for a system performing this badly), or whether they're going with the low risk/low reward approach of maintaining the status quo.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Rösti;136408123 said:

WEB
E
SHOP

XD

Jburton

Banned
They really hurt themselves by speccing a machine so close to last gen hardware, completely turned the core gamer away, a body of gamers waiting for the next jump.

Decent hardware and some proper 3rd party and they could have done so much better, that year they had before PS4 and X1 could have been filled with impatient gamers buying Wii U.

E-phonk

Banned
It looks like they still aren't making WiiU and thus reducing operating loss (it's still a loss but it got reduced quite a bit). Until they clear out all WiiU stocks they really can't do about the price IMO.

I can see them releasing a slight revision (mostly cost reduction) when they start producing them again.

narton

I think Smash will sell some wii Us, but I think the best they can hope for is to stay flat with last year's 3rd quarter. Even though they're two different target audiences, the value proposition of the Wii U took even more of a hit when Microsoft announced their as low as $349 initiative.

I also believe NOA needs to be really aggressive with the 3DS. Considering the N3DS launch prices in Japan and Australia were actually lower than the old model msrps, I think a similar situation will happen in America to sell. Or at the least takeover the old 199 and 169 msrps. If they try to stay as high as possible for most revenues this holiday, I think they're gonna burn some trust when they launch N3DS presumably in Jan-Mar.

vinnygambini

with the holidays, it's entirely possible they actually post a net profit and operating profit for the year.

There's no doubt they will achieve a profitable FY15; but how much however?

I'm not sure they will be able to achieve their Projected Operating Income of 40 Billion Yen as usually they do 25-30 Billion Yen each Q3 for the last 3 years.

They are going to need a strong holiday season as Q4 is basically dead-weight.

Roo

I'm not sure they will be able to achieve their Projected Operating Income of 40 Billion Yen as usually they do 25-30 Billion Yen each Q3 for the last 3 years.

With both Smash games, Amiibos and Pokemon ORAS I think they'll have a strong holiday
Plus games like Mario Kart and probably Captain Toad will help to boost the console a little.

Atram

Depends on the n3ds release plans and date for the western audience. Maybe they can push something in the last Quarter.

Looks like Nintendo could really be getting back on track(to full profitability), I imagine Q3 will be even better with two Smashes and Pokemon. They definitely did way better than I thought they would for this quarter.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like Nintendo could really be getting back on track(to full profitability), I imagine Q3 will be even better with two Smashes and Pokemon. They definitely did way better than I thought they would for this quarter.
Depending on the nature of QOL (that could likely be unveiled in around 15 hours from date of post), the stock price could see a return to its former glory (perhaps not full, but by a good margin). amiibo should help too, though initially by a lower extent.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
A February release for n3ds might make Q4 not so dead as usual and give a nice boost for FY results.

I predict a March western release for the N3DS. as for the OG model.
This will spread the income over the end of the FY year and the beginning of the new one.

vinnygambini

Rösti;136410589 said:
Depending on the nature of QOL (that could likely be unveiled in around 15 hours from date of post), the stock price could see a return to its former glory (perhaps not full, but by a good margin). amiibo should help too, though initially by a lower extent.

Don't get your hopes up Rosti! Q2 meeting will be about digital adoption rates for DLC Hyrule Warriors + Mario Kart Pre-Order and their licensing opportunities.

Q3 Meeting will be about QOL for sure!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Don't get your hopes up Rosti! Q2 meeting will be about digital adoption rates for DLC Hyrule Warriors + Mario Kart Pre-Order and their licensing opportunities.

See Rosti's post from earlier: this investor's meeting is titled in the same way as the one from January, and it usually happens once during a fiscal year, but this time twice.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member

I'm basing my expectations on that Mr. Iwata said during the Corporate Management Policy Briefing/Third Quarter Financial Results Briefing in January this year the following:

Today I would like to limit my presentation to the general direction of our new business, but I plan to announce more details within 2014. I then plan to talk about its specific features and a clearer vision of what we really mean by the term “non-wearable.”
This new business will be launched during the fiscal year ending March 2016, which begins in April 2015. As this is a completely new field of business, our plan is to make it contribute to our overall business and position it for growth from following fiscal year.
Source: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130/05.html

And during the Financial Results Briefing for Fiscal Year Ended March 2014 on May 8:

Today, please let me touch on the progress of some of these projects. However, regarding the medium-term goals, including the challenge of expanding into a new business area “to improve people's QOL in enjoyable ways” to be launched during the next fiscal year, I would like to disclose more specific information later this year.
Source: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140508/02.html

The briefing on October 30 is really the last way to in the most meaningful way possible get information about QOL out to analysts and investors. His plans could of course have changed, but even without a full unveiling I expect Mr. Iwata to comment on the project.

vinnygambini

See Rosti's post from earlier: this investor's meeting is titled in the same way as the one from January, and it usually happens once during a fiscal year, but this time twice.

I saw that but the meeting is most likely an overview of the promises they've made in the beginning of the year, and what we can expect moving forward.

Licensing Opportunities - Amiibo by year-end, Mercedes-DLC.

What Nintendo is planning - Entering animated business with a few of their properties (one can dream), team-up with Bandai for Pokemon Project such as Pokken.

Further Emphasis on Digital Games + DLC - Mario Kart DLC and Hyrule Warriors

What Nintendo is planning - Super Smash DLC and more games to adopt that model once completed and shipped

I think this is going to be the gist of it, and Q3 will be reserved for QOL and China expansion; briefly hinted at Q2 meeting.

Edit: I could be wrong though, we will see :)

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
with the holidays, it's entirely possible they actually post a net profit and operating profit for the year.
h070F93F4

That would be unexpected, thus awesome.

L~A

Aaah, operating loss almost zero and no Pachter saying there's no investor meeting. Things couldn't be better this year! :p

It's been a while since he stopped doing that. He can learn, after all!

And yeah, me and mpl90 are gonna riot if there's no word about the web eShop tomorrow :p

Iwata's back and Nintendo performed better this quarter : good news!
Now I imagine the briefing will be like "well, we are in a better shape now and let's see how this will improve this holiday season and in 2015". They could give hints of things to come. And I still expect a "2015 line-up" Nintendo direct by the end of november.

JoeM86

Iwata's back and Nintendo performed better this quarter : good news!
Now I imagine the briefing will be like "well, we are in a better shape now and let's see how this will improve this holiday season and in 2015". They could give hints of things to come. And I still expect a "2015 line-up" Nintendo direct by the end of november.

Well they have to show the
Duck Hunt Duo Smash Introduction Video
somewhere...

kswiston

N3DS isn't going to do very much to correct sagging 3DS shipments in the west this fiscal year if it misses the holiday quarter. We have already seen the results of the N3DS in Japan, and while I am sure it will beat 2013's November/December sales, it has no chance of making up 1.6M YoY deficit over there YTD, let alone make up for slacking western sales.

Top Bottom