• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo FY14 Q2: 1.27M 3DS, 0.61M Wii U, 24.2 billion yen profit

Percentage of last year's equivalent period, which while we don't have any numbers was generally known to be abysmal.

Maybe SwiftDeath or someone else kept track of some of the territorial numbers that were revealed at the time? EDIT: from a quick check we had a number for France for the month of June of around 3K. So... yeah.

I tried keeping track of European Wii U numbers somewhat but other than France I haven't had much luck truth be told

There's a couple LTDs given out for various countries at various times like 150k LTD in the UK as of November 2013 but updates are entirely sparse

They're talking about that first-party "shop" on Nintendo.com, where you can (pre)order games and have it download automatically without entering a code on your console.

Don't seem to be anything about a proper web eShop for now.

Thanks for the clarification. I think Nintendo sees the value in improving their digital sales and will move to enhance their offerings in that vein

Josh5890

I'm not worried about Quality of Life since they are obviously still in the R&D process. I'll wait for an official reveal.

L Thammy

I'm just skimming the Google translate, but it doesn't even seem like QoL is a consumer product. It's more like a medical device for detecting sleep disorders. I'm really struggling to understand what Nintendo can add to a product like this.

Having only seen it a minute ago, I get the feeling that it's supposed to be a digital platform. Is it stated that the sleep thing is it, or just one application of QOL?

Hmm, seems you can buy digital games from Rakuten Books and Yodobashi.com and have them download automatically by entering your NNID on the site from today. Amazon and more coming later. Is that new news?

Having only seen it a minute ago, I get the feeling that it's supposed to be a digital platform. Is it stated that the sleep thing is it, or just one application of QOL?

Seems like it's just the first one.

So sifting through the gibberish of google translate, their [initial] QoL product is a dedicated sleep tracker, that in some way will interact with game consoles and uses microwaves instead of actigraphy?

And their main point of difference is that it's essentially a sleeptracker for dummies/more convenient/doesn't require wear (although there are sleeptracker apps that don't require wear already on the market.)

Maybe it's something more specifically for the Japanese market or something, because I really don't see this as an incipient need that requires addressing in a dedicated device in a convergent device world.

Probably just one application. Apparently all the data goes up into a database on the internet, so maybe the idea is that QoL will be a bunch of devices you stick around your house that will monitor your habits and provide health information, I guess? I can't imagine that there's a market for this, but Apple and Google at least seem convinced that there is.

Probably just one application. Apparently all the data goes up into a database on the internet, so maybe the idea is that QoL will be a bunch of devices you stick around your house that will monitor your habits and provide health information, I guess? I can't imagine that there's a market for this, but Apple and Google at least seem convinced that there is.

Yes, that's the impression I get. They seem to outline what they want their future to look like here:

52.jpg

The 5 principles for the sleep thing are outlined as:

-Non-wearable (no need to attach anything to you)
-Non-contact (no need for anything to be touching you)
-Non-operating (no need to manipulate the device in any way)
-Non-waiting (no need to wait for measurements to be taken)
-Non-instalation efforts (no need for any sort of installation)

It's planned as a 'set down beside your bed and it works' sort of device, so in that sense it may have some use for the elderly Japanese market and technophobes.

Neo Dark

So sifting through the gibberish of google translate, their [initial] QoL product is a dedicated sleep tracker, that in some way will interact with game consoles and uses microwaves instead of actigraphy?

And their main point of difference is that it's essentially a sleeptracker for dummies/more convenient/doesn't require wear (although there are sleeptracker apps that don't require wear already on the market.)

Maybe it's something more specifically for the Japanese market or something, because I really don't see this as an incipient need that requires addressing in a dedicated device in a convergent device world.

When I read microwave, I thought microwave oven and said "that doesn't make sense" then realized you meant the other microwave.

So it keeps track of how much you sleep and tells you if you're not getting enough sleep or too much sleep or something?

DrWong

Yes, I also think it's one app, not the app.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
52.jpg

I think this hints that the QoL platform itself will be on cloud. Nintendo will sell individual products, through peripherals that feature "QoL" sensors like the sleep monitors [and pedometers?) and maybe even software on smart devices (brain age? english training?) and video games (brain age? english training?)

All the combined data goes to QoL server, creating some health/brain/lifestyle profile.

SegaShack

Yes! Bought 42 shares a year and a half ago and 8 more shares a few weeks ago. All were under $13 when I got them. This is great news for me. Good job Nintendo.

MauMau

Banned
Not sure if posted yet but.

Nintendo CEO: Cost Reduction Efforts Will Not Rely Much on Job Cuts

It was on ETrade.

I wonder where they will extract these cost cuts.

Pre-order comparison is interesting. What looks to be nebulous YOY increases for regions with no publicly announced hardware sales data of note [looking at you Europe and GFK] is less interesting

well it does at least tell people that last year's shipment numbers were held back due to the initial launch overshipment, cause actual sales aren't anywhere near double

52.jpg

I think this hints that the QoL platform itself will be on cloud. Nintendo will sell individual products, through peripherals that feature "QoL" sensors like the sleep monitors [and pedometers?) and maybe even software on smart devices (brain age? english training?) and video games (brain age? english training?)

All the combined data goes to QoL server, creating some health/brain/lifestyle profile.

I think you're absolutely right. The secret sauce is packaging up the data in a way that provides value and motivation to the user .... using games.

It would be the true gamification of life, which is exactly the "blue ocean" Iwata's is looking for. Since no one has actually created a compelling UI+gaming flavor in a desirable way. Who else to do it but the world's greatest game developer?

Thanks Road for the graphs. Always appreciate when you post them, I forget how slow to truly launch older systems were but then I guess game development was peanuts anyways back then so it's not like huge install bases were needed necessarily

well it does at least tell people that last year's shipment numbers were held back due to the initial launch overshipment, cause actual sales aren't anywhere near double

I suppose that's true enough

Lumyst

Yes! Bought 42 shares a year and a half ago and 8 more shares a few weeks ago. All were under $13 when I got them. This is great news for me. Good job Nintendo.

Heh, unrelated, but I remember when I was 18 I decided to get $350 worth of GE shares that would have the dividends reinvested automatically, just to get acquainted with stocks, and then I was able to sell them a year later after the value doubled, it was a good feeling :p

As for QOL, I think it sounds like it'll monitor the user's wellness and I bet it'll recommend resources to educate the user, or recommend Nintendo software or other Nintendo devices in order to address wellness deficiencies. So it won't be sold as a medical device (since it's not to treat disease) but rather a wellness device.

RiggyRob

Sweet.

We should have put more effort into using the NFC functionality much earlier, but we are now moving forward with projects that make use of NFC in a variety of unique ways.

No shit, Miyamoto.

For example, when amiibo become cards, we can create a game which can be played only by passing several cards over the NFC reader/writer, and the results will be stored in the amiibo card. I cannot discuss any of the details today, but amiibo has the potential to propose new ways to play card games.

The cycle is complete!

Top Bottom