• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo FY14 Q2: 1.27M 3DS, 0.61M Wii U, 24.2 billion yen profit

Trago

B1KBPATCYAACF_v.jpg:large

Iwata's back!

Edit: wait a sec, that investors thingy is supposed to be going on now, why isn't there a thread?

FZZ

Banned
Smash 3DS at 3.22 mil

MK8 at 3.49 mil

Or were these numbers already known?

Edit: Tomodachi Life at 3.12 mil o_o

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Confused about Super Smash numbers as technically Smash3DS counts for Q3 as its an October release, not a September release. Did they count it in their Q2?

EoinOL

Confused about Super Smash numbers as technically Smash3DS counts for Q3 as its an October release, not a September release. Did they count it in their Q2?

I'd imagine that they shipped plenty of copies within Q2 to meet those early October release dates in NA and Europe, and are therefore counting those.

SalvaPot

Wii U is finally finding its audience, I'm amazed how Bayonetta 2, even if it doesn't sell well, is able to put the console in the enthusiasts radar. And with Smash so close to it and all the critically acclaimed games and the momentum Mario Kart 8 generated, no wonder its doing much better than last year.

Smash was released on the 3rd(?). Shipments for the Western launches would have presumably been to retailers in Q2, even if consumers couldn't actually get it in store until October.

Maybe Nintendo will have sales graphs again, he said with unrealistic optimism.

NateDrake

Smash was released on the 3rd(?). Shipments for the Western launches would have presumably been to retailers in Q2, even if consumers couldn't actually get it in store until October.

Maybe Nintendo will have sales graphs again, he said with unrealistic optimism.

I believe Nintendo stated exactly that in their report yesterday.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Why are Nintendo's digital receipts so flat? Was it exchange rate related?

According to their filings:

1Q14: ¥5.7 billion
2Q14: ¥5.7 billion
1H14: ¥11.4 billion

1Q15: ¥5.0 billion (-12% YOY)
2Q15: ¥5.7 billion (0% YOY)
1H15: ¥10.7 billion (-6% YOY)

I wonder if sales are actually up among active users (i.e. last 3-6 months) but the older 3DS and Wii base (who were buying digital) is eroding more quickly.

Striek

I wonder if sales are actually up among active users (i.e. last 3-6 months) but the older 3DS and Wii base (who were buying digital) is eroding more quickly.
I don't think its got much to do with the Wii base since sales had already started to pick up from where they bottomed out.

I'm not really sure tbh. I would've expected DD adoption rates to increase disproportionately.

I would hazard a guess that there were fewer releases, but haven't checked. And they have a much bigger release this year in MK8.

Lack of mobile presence? I just looked at EA's earnings, they saw an increase in digital revenues Y/Y for the quarter but pretty much all of it came from increased mobile revenue.

European Wii U sell-through has doubled... which is of course meaningless without last year's H1 sell-through. But I'll take what info I can get.

Umm? Europe? What?]
Percentage of last year's equivalent period, which while we don't have any numbers was generally known to be abysmal.

Maybe SwiftDeath or someone else kept track of some of the territorial numbers that were revealed at the time? EDIT: from a quick check we had a number for France for the month of June of around 3K. So... yeah.

Monocle

Good, well deserved. The Wii U has the best exclusives at the moment. Huge turnaround from where they started this generation.

FZZ

Banned
Percentage of last year's equivalent period, which while we don't have any numbers was generally known to be abysmal.

Maybe SwiftDeath or someone else kept track of some of the territorial numbers that were revealed at the time?

Last year had negative shipments too right, for Europe I mean?

Should be interesting to see how the raw numbers are, if we are ever able to find them out.

Also QOL is gonna be about keeping track of your sleeping habits?

oNintendo's digital model is built on suckering in newcomers. Old customers that have been burnt on Nintendo's digital model won't do business with them until they fix serious issues.

Sandfox

Rösti;136530778 said:
Yup. It's apparently a sleep sensor, among other things.

Rösti;136531810 said:
They have entered into a partnership with ResMed to manufacture the QOL devices.

interesting...

oNintendo's digital model is built on suckering in newcomers. Old customers that have been burnt on Nintendo's digital model won't do business with them until they fix serious issues.

I really doubt enough people have been "burned" for that to be an issue.

I'm just skimming the Google translate, but it doesn't even seem like QoL is a consumer product. It's more like a medical device for detecting sleep disorders. I'm really struggling to understand what Nintendo can add to a product like this.

Top Bottom