• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Garage (new internal programme) & new games in development (EDGE magazine)

Nibel

Considering Nintendo's past policies about so called 'garage developers', the name of this program is irony perfected.

Teknoman

Wouldnt having universal hardware between console and handheld just create an environment where you see less wholly original titles between the two?

I know we are getting Smash for both now, but they still look and will possibly feel like two different games.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
This isn't new, right? The garage developers that is

I remember reading quite a while back that Nintendo employees are allowed to go off and work on their own design. If everyone else likes it, it gets developed and published.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I thought the Star Fox game is more like a pitch and Nintendo is waiting for 3rd party devs to pick it up?

This is great! It sounds similar in effect, although not in practice, to Sony's various incubation efforts with SSM and Ex Dev. For me, that has produced a lot of wonderful fruit - I've been playing the hell out of Hohokum and Counterspy the last few weeks. Now Nintendo is doing something similar, and the one full game we've seen of it is arguably the most exciting thing Nintendo has coming. Fostering creativity is the key to making great games. Does Microsoft have something similar? I don't follow Xbox news too closely.

Jakoo

Revelations like this kind of make me wish that Nintendo had a presence of any kind on iOS/mobile devices.

I understand Nintendo not bringing franchises like Mario and whatnot to iOS. But imagine if some small, simple and quirky titles created by a Nintendo employees levering no existing IP had a simultaneous release on the 3DS, Wii U and IOS? If a fun, smale scale like this gained any market traction outside of Nintendo platforms, any sequels/full fledged efforts could be then developed exclusively on Nintendo platforms to bring in the newly found audience onto the platform.

I feel like this is a low-risk approach to raising Nintendo's brand-awareness to the younger demographics that are getting into gaming exclusively on touch-devices. Nintendo having no presence on these devices means that the newest generations of gamers are not familiar with the brand, and I feel like this is an easy way to dip their toes into the water.

sinxtanx

Wouldnt having universal hardware between console and handheld just create an environment where you see less wholly original titles between the two?

I know we are getting Smash for both now, but they still look and will possibly feel like two different games.

It's about having a universal hardware architecture, an environment where you won't have to completely rewrite code for the other platform, enabling developers to easily port over engines and tools. Hardware interface can still be significantly different.

Timeaisis

I absolutely love this. I wish other companies would follow suit, but the only other I can see potentially is Ubisoft with their UbiArts stuff.

A great idea with hopefully lots of cool games to see.

johnbone

Exclusive footage of inside the garage. This is where the magic happens people.

94780-200089-hardcoregamerjpg-620x.jpg

Always a classic!

Top Bottom