• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo gets Monolith Soft from Bandai-Namco

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Well, for me Eternal Sonata/Trusty Bell was the ONLY 360 game I'm even interested in. So I don't see why I can't hope for a Wii version. :)

duckroll

vanguardian1 said:
Well, for me Eternal Sonata/Trusty Bell was the ONLY 360 game I'm even interested in. So I don't see why I can't hope for a Wii version. :)

You can, but it's just weird. It would be like hoping Spiderman 3 has crappier special effects. :p

Fady K said:
Ah, Xenosaga 2 is a hard one to defend. Even as a Xenosaga freak, 2 had many flaws that are hard to justify.

The battle system is just so slow. I`ve been meaning to play all three in a row so maybe I should just cheat my why through XS II

vanguardian1

It's just the way I play, when I'm completely focused on the gameplay/story I never even notice the graphical differences. I know it's odd compared to a lot of GAF' gamers but I never claimed to be normal. ;)

Anyways, I'm hoping that this Monolith Software "transition" will mean more new RPG's for Nintendo platforms. Although I admit to enjoying Mario and his crew, I do hope that the traditional Nintendo characters stay out of those games. :)

Jonnyram

The timing of this is kind of funny, because I know Namco was moving out of their Naka-Meguro office, which is also where Monolithsoft is housed. I guess they don't have to find space for Monolithsoft at the new location now...

...and I never said Nintendo definitely got the BK IP. I said it's kind of likely... but in any event, they are likely just acquiring a team to make RPGs for them, now that Camelot has bitten the dust. As has been said already, Monolithsoft was responsible for scenario and art in the BK games, tri-Crescendo did the music and coding. There are lots of ways for Nintendo to fill those latter roles, but scenario and art direction is talent they were severely lacking for RPGs. Intelligent Systems have been handling that kind of thing too, but they are pretty much tied to specific series now, and I don't see them moving away from that.

You've got to be impressed by tri-Crescendo too. They started off as a music production house, then started doing their own coding with the BK games. Now they're doing the whole thing for Trusty Bell. They've grown in a really tight, stable way.

justchris

There may be another Baten Kaitos because of this, but I don't think there will be any continuation of Xenosaga. The story ended with 3, and as that was the best game in the series, I think we should just let it end on it's high note and move on.

Now a spiritual successor to Xenosaga (as Xenosaga is to Xenogears) might be possible. But honestly, I think we're probably looking at new IPs at first and there's nothing wrong with something new.

Anyway, the battle system for BK has already been designed. I don't see why they can't take that existing code and tweak it for a sequel. They don't absolutely need Tri-Crescendo if they decide to use the same battle system.

Meh, I'm still just dumbfounded that Nintendo actually spent money.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Jonnyram said:
now that Camelot has bitten the dust
Huh, what do you mean? They just won't be working with Nintendo anymore because they entered the MMO market with 11UP, right?

Thoren

Banned
vanguardian1 said:
It's just the way I play, when I'm completely focused on the gameplay/story I never even notice the graphical differences. I know it's odd compared to a lot of GAF' gamers but I never claimed to be normal. ;)

Anyways, I'm hoping that this Monolith Software "transition" will mean more new RPG's for Nintendo platforms. Although I admit to enjoying Mario and his crew, I do hope that the traditional Nintendo characters stay out of those games. :)

I hope you realize that the generation jump in hardware is more than just graphics and visuals though.

I passed on XS3 simply because I couldn't force myself to play XS2. But based off all of the comments in this thread, I'm thinking I might should pick it up after all. I had a profound love for the first Xenosaga. I'll have to figure out a way to make it through XS2 just to keep up on the story.

duckroll

jj984jj said:
Huh, what do you mean? They just won't be working with Nintendo anymore because they entered the MMO market with 11UP, right?

I think when a RPG team starts doing nothing but outsourced korean MMOs, we can consider them to have bitten the dust. :p

Grecco

duckroll said:
I think when a RPG team starts doing nothing but outsourced korean MMOs, we can consider them to have bitten the dust. :p

Thats a shame i wanted to see the conclusion to the Golden Sun Saga.

Hunter D

CAPCOM_ADDICT.jpg

justchris

Miniboss1232 said:
I passed on XS3 simply because I couldn't force myself to play XS2. But based off all of the comments in this thread, I'm thinking I might should pick it up after all. I had a profound love for the first Xenosaga. I'll have to figure out a way to make it through XS2 just to keep up on the story.

My suggestion to you, find a synopsis of the story of XS2 on the web. It's not hard to find, and then you're ready to go on XS3. One thing about XS3 is it seems really, really busy, cause they packed so much story into it, so it does feel a trifle rushed. But it plays far, far better than 2. You'll be saving yourself a lot of pain.

StevieP

Banned
Thoren said:
I hope you realize that the generation jump in hardware is more than just graphics and visuals though.

Not what they've been used for so far, that's for certain. Besides, physics/AI is can be coded effectively and or approximated appropriately on almost any modern piece of hardware.

As cool as BK is/was, I'd like to see a completely different RPG from these guys after they finish Disaster (preferably something without card battles - I'm not too crazy about those).

I skimmed through the PDF document and there is no mentioning of Baten Kaitos nor Xenosaga in their at all. OF course, the document might've stated in Japanese "along with intellectual property rights;" but then it would've been specific, seeing as how it's a legal document. So in that PDF, no Baten, no Xeno.

Thoren

Banned
StevieP said:
Not what they've been used for so far, that's for certain. Besides, physics/AI is can be coded effectively and or approximated appropriately on almost any modern piece of hardware.

Just look at the AI in Forza, the scale of Lair, the freedom of Oblivion. These are things the last-gen consoles couldn't handle, and why the Wii will hurt somewhat in the long run.

Thoren said:
Just look at the AI in Forza, the scale of Lair, the freedom of Oblivion. These are things the last-gen consoles couldn't handle, and why the Wii will hurt somewhat in the long run.
I would love to look at the AI in Forza 2, but it's not out yet. The scale of Lair is apparent from the media, and it's very impressive. Oblivion isn't doing anything freedom-wise the other Elder Scrolls games haven't done before, just in a smaller space and way prettier.

ethelred

Segata Sanshiro said:
I would love to look at the AI in Forza 2, but it's not out yet. The scale of Lair is apparent from the media, and it's very impressive. Oblivion isn't doing anything freedom-wise the other Elder Scrolls games haven't done before, just in a smaller space and way prettier.

Well then just look at the AI and the scale and the freedom of Frame City Killer. How can you compare that to anything last-gen?

Thoren

Banned
I just didn't like the "I have a Wii, So I have Gameplay and Story and never need graphics" angle that guy was pushing.

Maybe I chose some bad examples, but new hardware will always let us do tremendous things compared to last-gen, that go beyond the boundaries of graphics.

Thoren said:
I just didn't like the "I have a Wii, So I have Gameplay and Story and never need graphics" angle that guy was pushing.

Maybe I chose some bad examples, but new hardware will always let us do tremendous things compared to last-gen, that go beyond the boundaries of graphics.
Absolutely, if taken advantage of, that extra computational power can be tremendous. Personally, I don't think there's anyone out there making games that are going to really push AI to the limits though. Nor, I think, would any good designer want to.

StevieP

Banned
Thoren said:

Oblivion is a much prettier version of Morrowind. I won't argue with you about Lair, though I haven't cared much for it so I haven't been paying much attention. Ditto with Forza 2.

What I can say is that AI is math, and entirely programmer-dependant, and if gcfan2k5 wasn't banned he'd give you a more specific breakdown of how almost any modern processor can pull sophisticated AI off (even if it's just extremely closely-approximated with fewer routines). I'm well-aversed to programming but not in the console gaming field - physics and AI (especially AI) aren't as processor-dependant as they are routine/programmer-dependant. Besides, the chips in the PS3/360 are in-order, which makes things even more difficult for coders to implement physics/AI as they would if they were out-of-order like regular PPC chips or x86 arch.

Point I'm trying to make is that for the majority of games out there (and I'm well aware that there are certainly exceptions to the rule) that have been released on the HD hardware are rooted in last-gen game design, and while the texture-resolution bump and effects increases are certainly welcomed, it's nothing that us PC gamers aren't already used to. I never had a problem going from this:

http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/doomiii_trite.jpg
to this:
http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/manhunt_111803_5.jpg

And if the fact that this RPG-house won't be doing HD-games bugs you, there are plenty of other smaller Japanese studios, like Sakaguchi's and Tri's, that won't be limiting their output to the market-leading Wii. I will say, however, that the Wii's less powerful hardware *IS* capable of less than the PS3 for instance (well, duh) but that most studios will likely only take advantage of it in ways that are easiest to take advantage of - and that's visual quality.

vanguardian1

Thoren said:

I wasn't trying to say that I didn't need graphics or more hardware capabilities, just that, to me, it's not any more important to me than any other factor that makes up a game. I can go play a NES favorite right now without any reservations and then after a few hours of playing go switch to Oblivion on my PC. The technical differences don't bother me because I'm too busy enjoying myself while playing the game. To me, a good game is a good game.

I enjoy new technology, but I'm neither willing to pay too much for it, or even willing to buy it if I have no interest in it. If I can get a game on the Wii instead of a 360 or PS3, and the technical differences don't bother me, why shouldn't I?

Edit : gcfan2k5 was banned? Damn. :(

MaddenNFL64

Scalemail Ted said:
I wonder why Namco held onto 16%?

So it all ties back to Nintendo/Namco-Bandai relations. I have a feeling Namco-Bandai wouldn't mind Nintendo owning a slightly larger share of their company, if the opportunity arose.

vanguardian1

I KNOW you know I didn't mean it that way, ya damn schmucks! :lol

When I enjoy a game though, I'm usually entranced to the point I pay no attention to the graphics. I got the system and Zelda on launch day, but since they didn't have any extra video cables at launch I stuck with composite cables, but eventually I was too engrossed in Twilight Princess to remember to pick up any better video connector cables for my Wii and to this day I still keep forgetting to. :lol Oh well, one of these days..... ;)

Krowley

vanguardian1 said:
I KNOW you know I didn't mean it that way, ya damn schmucks! :lol

When I enjoy a game though, I'm usually entranced to the point I pay no attention to the graphics. I got the system and Zelda on launch day, but since they didn't have any extra video cables at launch I stuck with composite cables, but eventually I was too engrossed in Twilight Princess to remember to pick up any better video connector cables for my Wii and to this day I still keep forgetting to. :lol Oh well, one of these days..... ;)

I'm the same..

For me, when i'm playing an old game on VC, the graphics might bother me for about 20 minutes... After that, i sort of regress to the point were the graphics either seem normal or even impressive.

I just recently played through mario 64 and there were literaly scenes were I was kinda blown away by the graphics and the scope... I know it may seem crazy but that's how it works for me.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Scalemail Ted said:
I wonder why Namco held onto 16%?

Maybe they still want to use Monolith Soft for development of certain titles...they did say so in some snippet earlier in this thread. They basically said Monolith needed more freedom or resources to make their games...

Basically...Nintendo money+Miyamoto= SUCCESS...

borat_narrowweb__300x495,0.jpg

wsippel

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
Interesting that when they updated their site, it doesn't have the Nintendo logo on it, only Namco-Bandai...
The deal won't be completed 'till Tuesday. It's still a BandaiNamco company for a few more days...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom