• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo gets Monolith Soft from Bandai-Namco

Status
Not open for further replies.

pilonv1

Mar_ said:
Maybe Nintendo are just as surprised as all of us. They meant to buy the other Monolith.

Wasn't there a title announced on IGN a year or two by Monolith Soft and they wrote the article as if the other Monolith was developing? So maybe IGN are as smart as Nintendo?

Crow-kun

Banned
Tabris said:
I think this thread would be fitting for a goodbye post to Xenosaga since there's no hope of a new Xenosaga EVER anymore. Here are some tribute pictures:

fmv785-41.jpg

chaos.jpg

fmv810-180.jpg

60356838275_9771.jpg

albedo3.jpg

fmv810-141.jpg

120%20-%20oh%20right%20i%20have%20a%20line.jpg

182%20-%20the%20beach%20f.jpg

xenosaga-episode-ii-20040624074656002.jpg

saga_5.jpg

xeno_50.jpg

12.jpg

xeno-7b.jpg

04.jpg

vlcsnap3419055bv.jpg
Fix'd Can you tell the difference?

dili

So pretty much all hope of a Xenosga IV ever happening is over with.

I hope Nintendo crashes and burns. **** them

Evlar

Banned
GAF's legendary pessimism on full display. Everyone's troubled by Nintendo buying Monolith: half because they're worried that Nintendo will resurrect Xenosaga, and the other half worried they won't.

angelfly

This is good news to me. I love the Xenosaga games so if guys are planning to continue the series or make a new rpg under Nintendo then I'm all for it.

mj1108

The Sphinx said:
GAF's legendary pessimism on full display. Everyone's troubled by Nintendo buying Monolith: half because they're worried that Nintendo will resurrect Xenosaga, and the other half worried they won't.

...and they're the same people who criticize Nintendo for NOT spending money on getting developers.

Joe Molotov

I don't see how Nintendo buying Monolith makes it any less likely that a Xenosaga IV will get made. They'd just have to license it from Namco.

daemonic

Banned
mj1108 said:
...and they're the same people who criticize Nintendo for NOT spending money on getting developers.

I was just about to say the same...

If anything this is a good move. Obviously Nintendo sees potential in the developer.. more RPGs for the Wii and DS? This can only be a good thing. Stop with the bitching.

ivysaur12

Banned
Abel said:
Xenosaga and Baten Kaitos are awesome :D !
Normally I'd support it and sing its praises but considering GAF is so anti MSI it would just fall on deaf ears so I'll do it elsewhere :lol
*high fives Tabris*

GAF is pro-BKO but anti-MSI. Quite the odd combination.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
WHAAAAAAAAT!!????

Nintendo has bought someone!?!?!?!?

OMFG!!!!!!!!

This is greats news for everyone! Monolith Soft is a very talented developer. Now imagine what they can develop with Nintendo's funds and help! I can't wait to see something from them!

Mashing

I wonder if anything is if this signifies a shift in their business philosophy? Are more acquisitions going to be forthcoming?

Abel

Ivysaur12 said:
GAF is pro-BKO but anti-MSI. Quite the odd combination.

It's a paradox wrapped in an enigma mixed into a conundrum and neatly packaged into a Zohar
or a magnus
:D

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Tabris said:
...but, Nintendo would never do that and I just realized they would never allow the mature themes Xenosaga/gears has...
Well, Nintendo did publish Eternal Darkness right? There's a sliver of hope for you I suppose...

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm going to leave this thread with this image

baten-kaitos-origins-2.jpg

And then go watch the BKO ending.

XiaNaphryz said:
Well, Nintendo did publish Eternal Darkness right? There's a sliver of hope for you I suppose...

Eternal Darkness wasn't the best story since the Renaissance

Tabris

Xenosaga has violence, mature themes, suicide imagery, and a very heavy religious aspect in the plotline. Infact, the religious aspect of the game is so literal that one of the characters is the
aeon of Jesus Christ in the gnostic sense of the word, and the other is Mary Magdalene.

Do you think NOA would allow that? I don't think so :( :( :(

xenosagasad.jpg

xenosagasad2.jpg

Here's a gibberish translation.

It is because ahead 2007 April 27th everyone company name corporation [bandainamukohorudeingusu] representative name Representative President high 須 Takeo question combination communicating name director Tanaka celebration Osamu head office address Tokyo Minato-ku (code 7832 Tokyo Stock Exchange part) corporation [bandainamukogemusu] which is the subsidiary company of news corporation [bandainamukohorudeingusu] regarding the corporation monolith software stock transfer of company name corporation [bandainamukogemusu] representative name Representative President Ishikawa celebration man head office address Tokyo Ota Ku corporation [bandainamukogemusu] possession stock 1920 stocks of the corporation monolith software which is possessed (80% of the same company all issued stocks) came to the point of with transferring to the Nintendo Co. corporation, as mentioned belowWe inform. As for the reason corporation monolith software of description

1. stock transfer, corporation [namuko] (* as for the same company it newly founded divided in 2006 being newly born facility business section [namuko], integrated the game section of the same company and corporation Bandai and it was established in corporation [bandainamukogemusu] as the development company which is the subsidiary company of the same company in 1999 October name it has modified) with investment. The plan development industry of the numerous hit title where such as “[zenosaga]” series [bandainamukogemusu] sells and “[batenkaitosu]” series is done ever since, in the game software for home. With [bandainamukogurupu] strengthening the contents strategic domain strategic channel strategy is assured at the time of 3 year mid-term management planning from 2006 April, with related strengthening of domestic partner enterprise, “promotion of entertainment hub conception” is put out. With [bandainamukogemusu], as a plan development company and the game software business for home in purpose, that the cooperation of labor relationship Nintendo Co. in the future growth of the monolith software with is strengthened to do stock transfer. In the future [bandainamukogemusu] and the monolith software so far in the same way are the schedule which keeps continuing close relationship as a business partner via plan development business.

2. Concerning the company which transfers stock
(1) the trade name corporation monolith software
(2) representative Sugiura Hiroshi England
(3) main office address Tokyo Meguro Ku
(4) establishment years 1999 October
(5) fiscal term February
(6) employee several approximately 110 names
(7) capital 7,500 ten thousand Yen
(8) all issued stocks 2400 stocks
(9) large shareholder constitution and possession relative corporation [bandainamukogemusu] 2320 stocks (ahead transferring the trend 2007 February period gross sales 649,000,000 Yen 2006 February period gross sales 25,000,089,000,000 Yen

3. stock of the achievement in approximately 96%)
(1) the trade name Nintendo Co. corporation
(2) Satoru representative Iwata
(3) main office address KyotoItiminami Ku
(4) production and sale of the game machine software for contents home of main business (5) furthermore the number of business partner

4. transfer stocks in the game business for affiliated home of this corporation, transfer price and 譲 with possession stock circumstance front and back
(1) possession stock several 2320 stocks before the transferring (possession relative 96%)
(2) transfer stock several 1920 stocks
(3) possession stock several 400 stocks after the transferring (possession ratio 16%) the conclusion 2007 May 1st stock certificate delivery of

5. schedule 2007 April 26th transfer contracts (schedule), influence to the corporation [bandainamukohorudeingusu] connected achievement with this case is slight. Ahead inquiring < concerning this case > corporation [bandainamukohorudeingusu] public information IR Tagami Machida TEL: 03-5783-5503 corporation [bandainamukogemusu] public information section Hasuya (it does and) Baba TEL: 03-3756-8698

Sirusjr

Banned
Yeah Namco didn't want to get a M rating on the second or third game because they wanted to sell more copies. I thought the most insane thing was that XS2 had dolby digital surround while XS3 didn't.

Tabris said:
Xenosaga has violence, mature themes, and a very heavy religious aspect in the plotline. Infact, the religious aspect of the game is so literal that one of the characters is the
aeon of Jesus Christ in the gnostic sense of the word, and the other is Mary Magdalene.

Do you think NOA would allow that? I don't think so :( :( :(

[IM G]http://www.deusnetwork.com/images/misc/xenosagasad.jpg[/IMG]

[I MG]http://www.deusnetwork.com/images/misc/xenosagasad2.jpg[/IMG]
NOA also probably wouldn't allow Momo to get totally molested, unlike Namco

Namco was like "SHIT BRING ON MORE LOLI MOLESTING" and let it all pass through

VerTiGo

Banned
Okay, this came out of nowhere.

Nintendo reps had claimed that after the purchase of Retro it didn't want to make any big purchases in regards to development studios. They decided to focus on third-party collaborations and such, which Monolith Soft had been a part of with Baten Kaitos and Disaster. However, then this purchase occured.

As far as I'm concerned, this could only mean that Disaster has shaped into a title that Nintendo is very fond of. This would be similar to what occured with Retro Studios during the development of Metroid Prime ... Nintendo was impressed by the title enough to be confident in the complete purchase of the development house. This isn't even a 2nd-party move but a flat out purchase of the studio as a whole.

Additionally, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo attempted to build a serious RPG brand out of Baten Kaitos. Yeah, yeah -- I know about Tri-Crescendo being responsible for a lot of the gameplay, but what's to prevent them to continue working on a sequel? I loved the original BK (didn't try the sequel but will) and I'm a bit pleased with this announcement.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Tabris said:
Xenosaga has violence, mature themes, suicide imagery, and a very heavy religious aspect in the plotline. Infact, the religious aspect of the game is so literal that one of the characters is the

Do you think NOA would allow that? I don't think so :( :( :([/IMG]
I just don't see the issue I guess...if the game will still get no higher than a M rating, why would NOA be concerned?

Link said:
I wonder if Nintendo realizes that since they are now the driving force again in Japan, they're going to need to supply their console with some big in-house JRPG's.
Doesn't that seem backwards? They need more of their own RPGs, now that they'll be getting more support from third parties anyway?
The Black Brad Pitt said:
I don't think Nintendo owns them in any way, just works with them.
soco said:
before you get too excited using BK as a reference, this is what 1up said about the effort in their preview:

which makes me wonder how what Monolith contributed to the effort.
Here are the credits for the first game, with most everyone credited to one of those two companies. It's hard to sum up how things are split, because both companies seemed to have their hands in many areas. A lot of the BIG titles (Director/Producer/Story) evidently weren't listed with a company, either, which makes it harder to tell at a glance.

Dragmire

ShockingAlberto said:
Manhunt 2 Wii will have you killing cute bunnies

and by killing I mean sewing back up
I want a game where you kill bunnies and sow them back up. Just to see which part will traumatize children more.

Omg new SMash character! Omg!

Let's not go there people. Cool move by Nintendo though, we can get tons of rpg's now hopefully! I neve rplayed Xenosaga but I think Nintendo could pull it off if it was included in the deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom