• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Going Mobile: Smartphone Game Deal with DeNA [First Games Fall 2015]

TheJoRu

I love how, given DeNa's motivation to increase their value rapidly, there's a high probability Nintendo will have more of their IP on PC and smart phones than Microsoft who is claiming they give a shit about PC gamers.

Maybe that's not what you mean, but Nintendo are not putting games on PC. The part regarding PC has to do with the new membership service, not game development.

Chaos17

didnt Iwata said like a year ago that mobile games were a no-no for Nintendo?

also as i said before in this thread, DeNA deal and stuff is mostly for japanese market right? where most phones have hardware keyboards.

Zzzzzz....
He said that they main games, so big IP will never be on mobiles and repeated that during the press conference.
Were you too lazy to go listening to him ?
Zzzzz....

also as i said before in this thread, DeNA deal and stuff is mostly for japanese market right? where most phones have hardware keyboards.

No this deal is specifically about Smart devices, not feature/flip phones. The Mobage guy talks about how they've only recently moved onto Smart Phones themselves, despite being in the mobile market for years:
Since we launched our mobile game platform in 2006, DeNA has owed much of its growth to mobile gaming, which is currently our core business. In the past couple of years in Japan, we have tried to adapt ourselves to the rapid market shift from feature phones to smartphones as well as browsers to native apps. I admit it took longer than we initially expected.

I don't know if it mostly be for the Japanese market, I'm sure it'll be a big piece of the pie but they state it's a global strategy.

Nah, about a year ago Iwata was saying that they were going to look in to mobile content to help bolster their core business.

Kinda like what he's saying right now.

I don't get why a lot of people are so sour on this. It seems like the best possible way for the industry to adapt to the changing market trends without completely compromising its origins. By creating these mobile-oriented titles they can introduce a lot of IPs and gameplay elements to a whole growing group of people who only game on their mobiles. Sure, they might just stay on mobile, but there's still going to be an increase in the awareness of the major gaming brands which is almost always good. Broadening their markets while still having a clear other division for the more "hardcore/dedicated gaming console crowd" seems like the obvious step forward for a lot of the industry, in my opinion, especially if Nintendo/others stay true to their word that there will still be full fledged titles on dedicated hardware in addition to the smaller, mobile focused games.

Yeah I'm definitely out. I'll still play retro games and whatever actual games Nintendo still releases but from this point I'll stop following the industry, have fun ppl.

It's just more games on more devices....they will still make dedicated console games....Chill.

No that was 2 years ago.

http://nintendoeverything.com/iwata...ones-need-to-do-what-smart-devices-cant-more/

Iwata said:
“If I was only concerned about managing Nintendo for this year and next year—and not about what the company would be like in 10 or 20 years—then I’d probably say that my point of view is nonsense. But if we think 20 years down the line, we may look back at the decision not to supply Nintendo games to smartphones and think that is the reason why the company is still here.”

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I can see that if it is like a horizontal flip phone.

Like this?

jTfJAqC.jpg

Nevadatan

Zzzzzz....
He said that they main games, so big IP will never be on mobiles and repeated that during the press conference.
Were you too lazy to go listening to him ?
Zzzzz....

No this deal is specifically about Smart devices, not feature/flip phones. The Mobage guy talks about how they've only recently moved onto Smart Phones themselves, despite being in the mobile market for years:

I don't know if it mostly be for the Japanese market, I'm sure it'll be a big piece of the pie but they state it's a global strategy.

Nah, about a year ago Iwata was saying that they were going to look in to mobile content to help bolster their core business.

iPhones don't have keyboards :p

Also, no, this is not a phone. Please quote me on this, I'm willing to eat crow.

aight aight i got it.

so what are we expecting to be released on mobiles? anything along the lines of warioware or mario party could work well imho.

Gartooth

I will wait to see what they deliver on mobile first, but I'm apprehensive of this direction and what it could mean for games on other Nintendo platforms.

Killer

Banned
I really don't like mobile games. If that brings more money to nintendo without sacrificing their home consoles, then it's all good.

The Giant

Banned
Yeah I'm definitely out. I'll still play retro games and whatever actual games Nintendo still releases but from this point I'll stop following the industry, have fun ppl.

You do realise that nintendo is still gonna make consoles and handheld games on their hardware. They already announce the codename for one of their gen 9 hardware.

chadboban

I'm still wonder why people are so shocked by this. They've stated this for a while now, it's just they've gone into far more detail with this announcement, and now we have further insight into what their plans are.

ffdgh

C'mon don't do that. Atlease see how things play out first before you jump ship.

Anno

Once a week I pick up my girlfriend at work where she teaches a combined group of 6th-8th graders. Usually she's busy with something so I talk to the kids lingering around waiting for their rides, almost always about various video games, and basically to the man they are playing PC/PS4/XB1 games and then mobile. And man these kids are good at touch controls. I'm positive Nintendo could ship a straight up Mario game and these kids would excel at it in no time. Obviously that doesn't seem likely at the moment, but I think they're making a good choice in trying to make further inroads with the younger generation, many of whom have little to no experience with Nintendo games.

Crocodile

Hard for me to have an opinion on this until games start coming out and I see the impact on their console/handheld business. From a business decision this seems smart but if this at all affects the quality or quantity of games on their consoles or handhelds I won't be pleased. Is Nintendo beefing up their development houses to account for mobile development?

I am eagerly awaiting GAF thread titles with "Nintendo Announces a new F-Zero!..."

Then click on thread

"On mobile"

Well I was in a reasonably good mood but not anymore :(

StevieP

Banned
Pretty good news. As I'm sure has been said a 100 times, it's one step closer to 3rd party nintendo games as well :p

It's kinda like when uncharted is ported to pc to increase brand awareness for their consoles (the market on PC is much larger) and they take 20 employees from naughty dog (so that there are less people making TLOU2) to make the port. Or not.

so what is the real point of Nintendo putting out mobile games but avoiding its popular IP's? im not understanding the purpose of making games that arent going to be based on their big characters? or am i misraken and theyll release games based on their popular characters?

Once a week I pick up my girlfriend at work where she teaches a combined group of 6th-8th graders. Usually she's busy with something so I talk to the kids lingering around waiting for their rides, almost always about various video games, and basically to the man they are playing PC/PS4/XB1 games and then mobile. And man these kids are good at touch controls. I'm positive Nintendo could ship a straight up Mario game and these kids would excel at it in no time. Obviously that doesn't seem likely at the moment, but I think they're making a good choice in trying to make further inroads with the younger generation, many of whom have little to no experience with Nintendo games.
I wonder if it's a practice thing. Obviously a lot of people here who might try an IOS platformer 1) might have a negative bias towards mobile games (just look at these reactions) and only play one reluctantly and 2) have grown up playing with game pads and mouse/keyboard for years.

They haven't played on touch screen every day for years. I've been playing IOS games for three years now and I've never had an issue with touch controls. Platformers, top down shooters, fast paced twitch games, hack and slash games, RPGs...they're easy to control. The only genre I hate is FPSs, they never control well.

It's like how someone trying PC games for the first time might find mouse and keyboard difficult to get a hang of, but then it becomes second nature after using that set-up for a while

Darryl

Banned
Now....
"I bet other mobile developers are shaking with fear right now. Nintendo will show them who's boss!"

Before...
"Nintendo would never devalue their IPs, guys. Just shut up."

Personally, I'm excited about this. Nintendo games for me are usually only pick up and play occasionally for about 10 minutes at a time. They have more in common with mobile games than people think.

Well a lot of the devaluing their IP complaints were towards people suggesting "port Mario Bros 1 and Pokemon Red/Blue and Make A Fortune". It's the implementation that is important, and so far everything reads as if they're approaching it right. I'm for it myself. We'll just have to see how it works out.

Anno

I wonder if it's a practice thing. Obviously a lot of people here who might try an IOS platformer 1) might have a negative bias towards mobile games (just look at these reactions) and only play one reluctantly and 2) have grown up playing with game pads and mouse/keyboard for years.

They haven't played on touch screen every day for years. I've been playing IOS games for three years now and I've never had an issue with touch controls. Platformers, top down shooters, fast paced twitch games, hack and slash games, RPGs...they're easy to control. The only genre I hate is FPSs, they never control well.

That and I think a lot of people just assume it sucks without actually trying it for any length of time. Parroting what you read on popular gaming message boards isn't exactly uncommon. Kids don't give a shit though, they just figure it out and are okay with it.

RM8

I draw the line at fighters. And it's not like I haven't given them a chance, I've bought many mobile fighters and it's just not good :/ While I think racers work just fine, for example.

There's quite a few retro-themed and LTTP threads on this board that one can post in while not paying much attention to industry news/happenings/projections threads.
The type of person who would let this news unsettle them to this degree is quite likely also the same type of person to let such news retroactively taint their view on old school ninty. That sort of inane zealotry and self assuredness

I always figured open world 3d Zelda would be a horrible thing Nintendo would never touch but when it happened I didnt leap straight to WELP Zelda is fucked and also Fuck Zelda, because thats crazy talk

StevieP

Banned

It's like how someone trying PC games for the first time might find mouse and keyboard difficult to get a hang of, but then it becomes second nature after using that set-up for a while

Capacitive screens by nature are inaccurate. Keyboard and mouse don't have that problem, despite the learning curve. There's a reason why autocorrect exists (same as auto aim on dial analogue) and its because they're not accurate. You know, the same complaint you had about motion controllers.

Edit: oh hey, dial analog. Case in point. Thanks iPhone. That wouldn't happen on a device with a physical keyboard.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
So there's so much that could go wrong with this, as someone who doesn't like non-tactile touch controls, IAP schemes, or quick, 1-2 minute gaming (even traditional handheld gaming I'll play 30m-1h at a time).

What makes everyone think Nintendo will make money hand-over-fist with this? I could see them making a few extra bucks here and there, but premium-priced games haven't been doing so hot lately on phones, and IAP whale fishing is an extremely large crapshoot.

I am just hoping that the Nintendo games with tons of content, tight, responsive and unique controls, and collectability won't go away, even if they are extremely successful.

Don't know why it took them so long to do this. Clearly this is just to promote their IP to the masses and encourage them to buy a handheld/console for a full Nintendo experience. It's a smart move.

Capacitive screens by nature are inaccurate. Keyboard and mouse don't have that problem, despite the learning curve. There's a reason why autocorrect exists (same as auto aim on dial analogue) and its because they're not accurate. You know, the same complaint you had about motion controllers.
Doesn't change the fact that I find touch controls to work perfectly fine and can play all kinds of genres without issue. I actually preferred Limbo and VVVVVV on iPad.

Mithos

Doesn't change the fact that I find touch controls to work perfectly fine and can play all kinds of genres without issue. I actually preferred Limbo on iPad

I cant even control the normal functions on my smartphone without making mistakes due to the damn touchscreen (on a daily basis).

Top Bottom