• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo has taken back potentially stolen Nintendo Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh...what?

They took back the console but didn't refund what he paid for it?

What the fuck?

Edit: Oh...if it was stolen, then sure...I thought it was case of a retailer failing to wait launch before shipping units.
Of it was stolen then he would get nothing. When you buy stolen goods you're kinda complicit

Yep and look at how false info spread and makes Nintendo look bad. Wtf this so fucked up when Nintendo didn't even do anything wrong. Look at all the "omg Nintendo how can you take it back!!??"

Surprise surprise. It was always clear that he didn't buy it from a store that got shipments early.

Next time don't make your info so publically available Hipo :p

tenchir

Sounds like it was stolen which is why he said he is not getting his money back. Nintendo is in the right in this case.

People are really, really stupid. I can't believe anyone just thinks Nintendo basically stole from this person, there is clearly more to this than we know, it doesn't take much thought to see why.

You forget where you are. It wouldn't be GAF without jumping to conclusions. Or maybe Gaming Side. OT seems a bit more...composed

The Argus

Weird, they took it back?

Also I'm not sure I get the "no money and I have bills to pay". Well, even if you still had the system you still wouldn't have the money for those bills. Why buy an entertainment device when you know you're gonna be low on funds. Priorities people...

javac

Word on the street is that Nintendo was able to locate and track down the device due to, and I quote "A deliberate piece of dust that they placed on the screen as a means to identify the SKU". These anti theft systems are getting smarter and smarter.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Wait so did the police take it back or did actual Nintendo representatives come for it, cause I thought we were all kidding about the nintendo ninjas.

daxgame

damn, looks like there was something behind it after all. Still sorry for the guy who lost his money without it being his fault tho.

I'm still really concerned that Nintendo hasn't just provided us this info themselves. This hardware is a mere 10 days away from release and we're learning about the UI/OS and other huge features from a random dude that obtained a probably stolen Switch.

People are really, really stupid. I can't believe anyone just thinks Nintendo basically stole from this person, there is clearly more to this than we know, it doesn't take much thought to see why.

Again, I have said over and over that I completely understand why they want it back. Which is why I have cooperated completely. I have no desire to be on the wrong side of the law and if I find out something in my possession was obtained illegally then I want no part of it.

jrcbandit

If he bought stolen console or obtained in some shady way. There's nothing wrong about what Nintendo did imo.

At first I was like WTF, but yeah Nintendo did nothing wrong since he bought it from someone who either got it shadily and/or was a press copy that wasn't meant to be sold. It wasn't a retailer messing up and shipping it early like was originally rumored.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I still don't get how he lost possession of the Switch?

Or did he?

He is sending it to a third party that supposedly* is working for Nintendo. Buy stolen goods, they are not rightfully yours.

*I secretly want this to be a sort of Nigerian Scam.

Wait, hold on: I've seen the videos and all the news attention that came from the unit coming into dude's possession, but I'm not 100% familiar with the story?

I was under the impression dude pre-ordered the unit, the unit was accidentally shipped early, delivered successfully, and that's how/why he was able to make the videos he made.

Is that what happened?

If that's what happened, how the hell does Nintendo (or anyone) get to tell the guy he can't keep it? He bought it. It was delivered. That's a completed transaction.

I'm confused.

edit: as I was typing the details surrounding the acquisition were posted.

Huh.

I think that's what's we all assumed, but it sounds now like maybe he bought it on ebay or through someone else who had a preorder who had a connection, who may have gotten the system through illegal means.

phanphare

Banned
How is this legal? This company.. should be refunded at least

read the update in the OP

Well I am a barista and we dont usually carry Nintendo products at the cafe. And I am sure it is frustrating that I cant share more details but I am not sure what I can or cant share. For the sake of clarification I will say that I don't think the person I got it from knew and therefore I certainly didn't know but somewhere down the chain some switches had "mysteriously disappeared". So while it was unknown to me, once I found out that it had probably been stolen I did't feel comfortable keeping it.

Again, I have said over and over that I completely understand why they want it back. Which is why I have cooperated completely. I have no desire to be on the wrong side of the law and if I find out something in my possession was obtained illegally then I want no part of it.

You shoulda just not said shit
HIDE

gogogow

damn, looks like there was something behind it after all. Still sorry for the guy who lost his money without it being his fault tho.

Eh.....buying a console 2 full weeks before it's released from some random shady guy......it is kinda his own fault.....

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, buying from "some guy that got it early" is different than some BIG company mix-up where whoops! We sent it out early!

Also, posting videos and getting attention with every website ever... yeah, Nintendo will notice. Stolen goods also usually legally means that no, you do not get a refund for it. I don't think Nintendo is too happy with revealing all this stuff before the date either, so I doubt there will be much goodwill here.

Word on the street is that Nintendo was able to locate and track down the device due to, and I quote "A deliberate piece of dust that they placed on the screen as a means to identify the SKU". These anti theft systems are getting smarter and smarter.

Or they could just google his name on gaf and get his info. You know that's actually more convenient.

Show me a company that refunds people for buying stolen equipment. Go on. I seriously want to see the list you bring up
Nintendo is the only company who should reimburse you for stolen goods. lol

You're the only guy in this thread who (besides me) used the word "fuck Nintendo" in that succession.

Read what I'm saying because it's not literally those words used, but it's "Nintendo is the bad guy"

Oregano

Totally sucks that you're losing the money though.:(

Just a shitty situation all around.

dottme

Either way, Nintendo should at least throw hiphoptherobot a bone for getting screwed out of $300 due to the whole situation.

I mean, I get that they don't have to, but it'd be nice.
I don't know any corporation whole will reimburse you stolen good if this is the case here.

Yep and look at how false info spread and makes Nintendo look bad. Wtf this so fucked up when Nintendo didn't even do anything wrong. Look at all the "omg Nintendo how can you take it back!!??"
I mean, in this case, Nintendo probably didn't do anything wrong, but you have to realize your tendency to defend Nintendo. You chastised people for defending "a stranger" yet you have no problem defending a corporation. On the other hand, there are absolutely people in here just wanting ammo to take a shot at Nintendo.

platina

Lol what the fuck Nintendo. You should've just talked how crappy the console was, the outcome would've probably been the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom