• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo has taken back potentially stolen Nintendo Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did Nintendo get the switch back?

Ninja-Shadow-2.png

Alienous

Either way, Nintendo should at least throw hiphoptherobot a bone for getting screwed out of $300 due to the whole situation.

I mean, I get that they don't have to, but it'd be nice.

Well, given the circumstances, it seems unlikely that $300 was paid.

Neoxon

I don't know any corporation whole will reimburse you stolen good if this is the case here.
True, I guess it's me wanting Nintendo to do so as a gesture of goodwill. I mean, they don't have to in this scenario, but it'd be nice (as mentioned before).

Well, given the circumstances, it seems unlikely that $300 was paid.
Didn't hiphoptherobot say that he paid $300?

Matt

Either way, Nintendo should at least throw hiphoptherobot a bone for getting screwed out of $300 due to the whole situation.

No, Nintendo can't very well start compensating people for receiving stolen goods.

I remember something similar happening with someone getting an XBox One from Target or some shit like two weeks early

Microsoft kept it, but I think they sent him one at launch with some goodies as a thank you?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
He is sending it to a third party that supposedly is working for Nintendo. Buy stolen goods, they are not rightfully yours.

A third party that works for Nintendo? I don't know. This story just sounds strange.

Hot on the heels of his video breaking we learned of gaming sites getting their units. I'm just taking this whole story of a stolen unit being returned to Nintendo via third party with a grain of salt.

I mean, in this case, Nintendo probably didn't do anything wrong, but you have to realize your tendency to defend Nintendo. You chastised people for defending "a stranger" yet you have no problem defending a corporation. On the other hand, there are absolutely people in here just wanting ammo to take a shot at Nintendo.

Because I was right and I could see through his story? From the beginning I found it fishy when in the video it said it was accidentally shipped. Get off me dude. Nintendo is allowed to keep being attacked when they didn't do shit wrong.

Most people just to negative conclusions without hearing the info.

Rellik

I like how the story started out as a retailer who shipped it early, and now it's a single guy he purchased it off.

DSix

Banned
What the fuck is wrong with Nintendo? Did they send some dudes to intimidate you into giving them the console?

This sounds shady as fuck.

Edit: oh... if the console was a stolen one, resold to OP, then it explains why

jaaz

True, I guess it's me wanting Nintendo to do so as a gesture of goodwill. I mean, they don't have to in this scenario, but it'd be nice (as mentioned before).

Didn't hiphoptherobot say that he paid $300?

The gesture of goodwill is Nintendo not contacting the police and local DA. Assuming they are not, of course.

WadeitOut

His situation of obviously buying a stolen console? Lol what. Nintendo never received payment for it.

Because I was right and I could see through his story? From the beginning I found it fishy when in the video it said it was accidentally shipped. Get off me dude. Nintendo is allowed to keep being attacked when they didn't do shit wrong.

Most people just to negative conclusions without hearing the info.
Jesus Christ, you clearly have no objectivity when it comes to Nintendo. I didn't even really attack you, I just pointed something out.

I don't know why anyone believes that Nintendo got involved or took the system back. The guy claimed he received it early, then later claimed that he bought it from someone (be that a store or a someone on craigsist). His story doesn't add up, and the only thing that's known for sure is he got one early.

I wouldn't be surprised if he made up Nintendo contacting him, him giving it back, or anything about a third party getting involved.

I think the dude's full of shit.

HeySeuss

Did he have to give it back?

I would imagine he was convinced it was better to give it back than to go to jail. He would be charged with receiving stolen property even if he didn't know it was stolen to begin with.

Either way he wouldn't be able to keep it. And there's zero chance he gets his money back or gets a new Switch given to him by Nintendo. They probably believe (and with good reason) that he may have knew it was stolen and/or might have stolen it himself.

Not

Banned
So many retailers fuck up with shipping and release dates that he has a pretty convincing case for ignorance here, whomever he bought it from

Nintendo should reimburse him. He only fanned hype for this thing

Plum

That would create two precedents:
1) We will reimburse you if you buy goods that were stolen from us (Nintendo)
2) We encourage leaking information about our products ahead of time

It sucks for hiphoptherobot and he's nowhere near the bad guy here, but Nintendo has no moral or legal reason to reimburse him.

I really hope he didn't know that shit was stolen because it would be pretty dumb putting up a video of an unreleased stolen console on the internet.

Stuff like this is so easily traced if you aren't careful that it's not worth the trouble.

Stolen or not, it's not a great look for Nintendo PR and drums up old feelings about their oppressive company culture with respect to their fanbase. And the leak did Nintendo more good than harm, since the OS was a lingering question many fans and potential purchasers wanted answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom