• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo has taken back potentially stolen Nintendo Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smellycat

I am confused, if hihoptherobot received his unit in a not so legal way (even if he didn't know it), then what about the other user who has the Switch? I forgot his name

Murkas

1) How did they know where OP lives?

2) Even if it was stolen, can Nintendo just say give it back now? Surely they have to go to the police or a 3rd party for them to get it back?

3) If I had to give it back because it ended up being stolen, I would rub my balls all over the console and throw it down a flight of stairs because I'm "clumsy", then ship it back. Might as well if I'm out the money.

...there was likely a pallet of consoles stolen.

How are you people not exhausted from the mental gymnastics required to make Nintendo the bad guy here.

He didn't get it from a retailer.
I didn't mean to imply retailer as any traditional store, but more generally as in any unauthorized or unofficial outlet.

jaaz

he seems to be trying, even asking people to stop talking about it and then a thread got made

What other people are saying is heresay. But what he's posting is an admission of a party opponent--i.e., an exception to hearsay rules.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
The hunger for this thing to fail is real, it will intensify more when launch get closer.

The hell are you guys talking about? Sure there are people who do not like the Switch or Nintendo in general, but it is no different than all large system launches.

But it's not Nintendo who has to take back the console.
No, but they have every right to do so, as long as they don't break the law doing it. If someone steals your property and you take it back, that's within your rights. If someone steals your property and the thief sells it to someone else, that's still within your rights to take it from that person. Just don't do it at gunpoint or anything.

2) Even if it was stolen, can Nintendo just say give it back now? Surely they have to go to the police or a 3rd party for them to get it back?

3) If I had to give it back because it ended up being stolen, I would rub my balls all over the console and throw it down a flight of stairs because I'm "clumsy".

1. Google
2. Why wouldn't he give it back if the threat of the police is looming and he's clearly in the wrong
3. Okay.

Jerm411

Thiiiiis. Nintendo completely underestimated their consumers' desire to see the UI in a comprehensive way.

Nintendo's best at underestimating things. Goes with their conservative title.

It wouldn't have been nearly as big of a deal.

Is this.......real life???

"Yes keep our stolen console and makes videos showing it off just because people on the internet want to see how the UI runs......."

LOL.....

I'm 28, their IPs don't appeal to me any more and their games simply aren't made for me. I couldn't care less if they fail or succeed tbh, but I do think the way they treat their loyal fanbase is straight up disrespectful with regards to withholding information about Switch, putting out hardware inferior to current gen norms and the general lack of good games, 1st and 3rd party, on their consoles.

Wat.
Putting out inferior hardware on their hybrid device.
General lack of good 1st party games.
rM946a7.gif

I don't know why anyone believes that Nintendo got involved or took the system back. The guy claimed he received it early, then later claimed that he bought it from someone (be that a store or a someone on craigsist). His story doesn't add up, and the only thing that's known for sure is he got one early.

I wouldn't be surprised if he made up Nintendo contacting him, him giving it back, or anything about a third party getting involved.

I think the dude's full of shit.

I kind of agree.

Matt

3) If I had to give it back because it ended up being stolen, I would rub my balls all over the console and throw it down a flight of stairs because I'm "clumsy", then ship it back. Might as well if I'm out the money.
1. They asked.
2. Yes, they can. If he says no, then they get the legal system involved.
3. You're a child.

I hope people getting defensive know that some of us thought since he claimed he got it early from a retailer that we assumed he got it legit. It's not a case of just not reading the OP. It's odd that his story changed so now I'm confused.

Of course.

Simple example: Your watch gets stolen, the thief sells the watch to someone else, later the watch gets identified as yours. Do you think you'd need to refund the new "owner" of your watch the money they paid to the thief?

The anwser is: Of course not, it's your watch and never stopped being your watch. The buyer might have been unaware that they bought stolen goods, but this doesn't change that the seller was never allowed to sell it in the first place. It sucks for that person, but sometimes in life you just have straight up bad luck.

Well, the seller would theoretically need to refund him, but thiefs are kinda peculiar in that regard. ;)

Of course, you might want to ask the question if a billion dollar company should have just given him those measly 300$ regardless, but they definitely aren't required to. Would have been a nice gesture if he really couldn't have known better, but if it was obvious that this was a dubious transaction then eh, I don't know.

Thank you for this post I never knew this was what could happen.

daxgame

Stolen or not, it's not a great look for Nintendo PR and drums up old feelings about their oppressive company culture with respect to their fanbase. And the leak did Nintendo more good than harm, since the OS was a lingering question many fans and potential purchasers wanted answered.

MtZ9N.gif

I mean, I even agree with the sentiment that Nintendo brought it on themselves by not showing off things but... seriously? They should've just gone 'who cares' about stolen goods?

Not

Banned
OK, so if it wasn't purchased from an actual retailer, and it's clear at this point they were stolen consoles, yeah I'm being swayed that Nintendo let him off easy.

Glad you worked it out without legal ramifications, Hiphop. Hope you can get hold of a Switch legitimately in the near future.

This is a gaming news website and this is news.

You're an idiot then? Because of your desire to fan the flames of "LOOK WHAT NINTENDO DID THOSE FUCKERS!!" we now how 4 pages of people who are totally misinformed of the situation. Yes you edited your post with the latest update but 1) it was done after the damage had already started and 2) clearly people have not read that as again we now have 4 pages of people flipping out without the whole story.

Also it's just a prick move to have the person this happened to say "Hey everything is fine and I'd really rather not talk about it" and then you shine a fucking giant spotlight on it.

If it wasn't stolen, then surely they would've found the "store" that broke street date.

Not to mention the idea of a store only shipping a SINGLE unit early is kind of hilarious. I'd understand if a bunch of people from the same area got their's early, but somehow it was just 1 guy?

Judging by the discourse in previous Switch threads, this is less a case of not reading the OP and more console warriors ignoring reality to bitch about Nintendo.

GAF is very familiar with the policy of revoking stolen goods, what with all the shady key resellers out there.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
It's really hard to understand that in order for you to get a refund you'd have to pay them something in the first place.

Yeah, unfortunately, if anyone owes hiphoptherobot money, it's the person he bought it from.

A company doesn't pay people for possessing stolen goods. The economics of that don't make sense. Company spends X money manufacturing a product -> product is stolen -> stolen product is sold to person -> company reclaims product and reimburses person = the thief making money, the company losing the reimbursement cost (and the ability to resell the product as new), and the person buying the stolen good remaining neutral. At a large scale, this could be costly for a company and very profitable for a thief.

This is why it's important that you trust the vendor you're buying from.

Sadist

Subscribing to this thread; something doesn't add up.

Still if it's stolen, Nintendo has every right to ask it back.

Anyway for a mod to try contacting the guy for proof on Nintendo contacting him..or a third party or we.
I dont trust the guy, but whatever puts this discussion to rest.

I hope people getting defensive know that some of us thought since he claimed he got it early from a retailer that we assumed he got it legit. It's not a case of just not reading the OP. It's odd that his story changed so now I'm confused.

Thank you for this post I never knew this was what could happen.

Also, isn't it also up to the store that supplied it, if he did get it early that way? If not he's out 300 because he bought stolen goods from some random Mook.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Not to mention the idea of a store only shipping a SINGLE unit early is kind of hilarious. I'd understand if a bunch of people from the same area got their's early, but somehow it was just 1 guy?

Heh, yeah that too :p Don't think any store would want that big of a fine.

RedRum

Banned
I understand the need to get information, but you can't really fault Nintendo here. Whether obtained legally or illegally, if you make the decision to show the system before the release then you have to at least expect resistance. In the least. This isn't just a game some retailer sold before street date, this is a whole system. You assume risk by unveiling it.

Spy

You're an idiot then? Because of your desire to fan the flames of "LOOK WHAT NINTENDO DID THOSE FUCKERS!!" we now how 4 pages of people who are totally misinformed of the situation. Yes you edited your post with the latest update but 1) it was done after the damage had already started and 2) clearly people have not read that as again we now have 4 pages of people flipping out without the whole story.

Also it's just a prick move to have the person this happened to say "Hey everything is fine and I'd really rather not talk about it" and then you shine a fucking giant spotlight on it.
You mad? Nothing about the thread title is incorrect nor is it hyperbolic. It's a fact that Nintendo has taken his Switch back.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
From the beginning I didn't think this added up...no retailer is dumb enough to ship out a console almost three weeks early.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Subscribing to this thread; something doesn't add up.

Still if it's stolen, Nintendo has every right to ask it back.
Still makes them slimy for doing so. I think they're asking for the console back to investigate. Giving him a switch that he is owed would be good will that they desperately need.

Fireblend

Banned
Poor hiphop. Should've just kept his mouth shut after Nintendo contacted him if he didn't want to have more eyes on him and let things be as they were. Pretty naive to say anything about Nintendo contacting him, specially if there are shady dealings involved.

Edit: And he still posts. Dude, help yourself, stop posting. Maybe until March. Everything you say is only digging yourself in further.

You mad? Nothing about the thread title is incorrect nor is it hyperbolic. It's a fact that Nintendo has taken his Switch back.

You really shouldn't have put this dude on blast. He even said he didn't want to talk about it anymore. This is probably going to blow up...especially if there's more to the story.

Anti Switch Gaf is going to make this thread Gold... Let me grab some popcorn. (Claiming back your stolen hardware is a bad thing in 3,2,1)

JB2448

I wasn't the only guy.
This needs to be read as much as possible by everyone in this thread.
I'm sorry for putting the spotlight on you again, but people need to get the idea that you're the only person that got something from a potentially stolen batch of goods out of their heads.

dtm808

Either way, Nintendo should at least throw hiphoptherobot a bone for getting screwed out of $300 due to the whole situation.

I mean, I get that they don't have to, but it'd be nice.

If he purchased it from a non-retailer and if that switch unit was stolen then Nintendo didnt get any money for it. Go after the seller not Ninty.

No offense, but to post an unboxing video that you got it early from a retailer and to gain a ton of attention, and then to suddenly get wishy-washy about your story when it turns out Nintendo is asking for their product back, with the little bit of being out of a Switch and low on funds, to boot, is fucking tacky.

And THEN we find out it's stolen. Sorry, but sketchy as fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom