• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo has taken back potentially stolen Nintendo Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

gogogow

The gaming community isn't going to see it this way. Look at the dissent in the thread already. As I said they're within their rights and this is something that they had to do however I don't think this was the right choice to make. How often does something like this happen to set any kind of precedent? I understand taking the videos down. I don't understand not compensating him as good will.

Dissent? That's because people didn't read the OP and likes to jump to conclusions, so they can quickly post a negative reaction.

Nothing I did was meant to personally attack anyone. Like I said before, there was a large discussion on this in another thread, it was going to become news regardless. This is just a more centralized thread about the topic and this is a gaming news website. It's news.

It could have stayed confined in the other thread, which was perfectly on topic as it was about HHR getting [and subsequently losing] a Switch early. As others have said, by shining a glaring spotlight on it by creating a new thread against HHR's wishes, and now everyone is flipping their shit without the whole story, this could actually have detrimental legal ramifications against HHR.

You went off half cocked, and you can already see the result. 8 pages of "fuck Nintendo" from people who didn't read your full post-update OP, and who knows what else could come of it. Nintendo were being nice by not pressing charges, this could literally change that. Do you feel good about that possibility being a result of your actions? It might not happen, but it could. It was a shitty thing to do.

Also you thread title is "Nintendo has taken back" when in reality it is "Nintendo has asked for the Switch back" and the reasoning is because it was part of a stolen shipment. The language you used, even if you didn't mean to, has set the tone for the thread or people who didn't even click the thread but saw the title.

Buggy Loop

Should it not be the store that got the unit stolen that threaten hiphoprobot or try to retrieve the unit rather than Nintendo?

Kadin

Every Switch has a unique serial number, right now Nintendo knows where all of their serial numbered Switches are.
But was that visible in the video, I just saw it blurred out. I guess it's irrelevant now but just wondered how they knew where and how it was obtained.

i dont get this idea of shitting on the guy btw

Nintendo should have just ignored this either way

we are two weeks out and press outlets are already talking about the damn system

Yeah maybe the deal was shady but had he not shared the info would any of us had know the difference?

Dude, don't do the whole "it's your guys' fault" thing. Trust me. Just be like, Nintendo has it now and that's all that matters.

you are right. The last thing I will say on the subject is Nintendo has it now, everything is cool and we can all enjoy the new Nintendo system in less than 2 weeks.

Fireblend

Banned
Should it not be the store that got the unit stolen that threaten hiphoprobot or try to retrieve the unit rather than Nintendo?
Read the OP. HHR didn't get the Switch from a "respectable establishment" to put it nicely.
you are right. The last thing I will say on the subject is Nintendo has it now, everything is cool and we can all enjoy the new Nintendo system in less than 2 weeks.
And you really should stop posting.

RedRum

Banned
prove what? have you read the OP?

What I meant was, if I purchased this thing from Best Buy and had a receipt, then I could prove that I did it with some legality. It is still within Nintendo's right to confiscate the system. Recouping the money would have to be some agreement, etc. Illegally? Well, you lose the system and lose your money.

My point is, is that they have a right to confiscate it no matter what.

lindseybp

I might have a Switch with Zelda right now, but now I sure as hell won't be posting it here. I think out of respect for hiphop this thread should be locked..

Yeah I agree. Lock the thread. This guy did Gaf a favor by showing us all this so the least we could do is honor the request not to start this thread. Were all just speculating on the sordid details when we don't know for sure. We don't need to rake him over the coals. I'm sure if he gets the ok to post more details he will do it on Gaf, but until then let's let him be.

I kind of want to know how a nintendo switch even gets stolen in the first place

How his seller even acquired one is far more interesting to me lol

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I am not sure what I get out of telling you I gave it back. I said a thread shouldnt be made about it, I said Nintendo was in the right to take it back and I havent asked for anything in rewturn. So I guess I could just randomly be making up the fact I dont have the switch anymore but it is the truth and I gain nothing but unwanted attention after taking the time to try and answer everyone's questions even though if you gop back to the original thread I didnt really want to post a video in the first place.

What do you gain? Sympathy. And knowing how generous GAF can be, sympathy could earn you monetary donations towards a replacement system since you were allegedly taken advantage of and took the high road. Even throwing in the "don't be mad at Nintendo guys".

You could very well be telling the truth, but you have to understand some of us may be skeptical.

daxgame

Dude, stop posting. You want less attention? Stop saying anything. It will blow over except if you keep posting its like fanning the flames.

he's right in what he's saying though, aside from him not wanting to make the video and whatnot. People need to stop going aggro without having all the pieces of the puzzle.

we are two weeks out and press outlets are already talking about the damn system

Yeah maybe the deal was shady but had he not shared the info would any of us had know the difference?

Uhh, no, they shouldn't have. Do you know how stolen shipments are tracked down to the source? By the serial numbers on the devices, which correspond to shipment groups, which a POS (point of sale) system can then use to track back to where it was shipped to

Buggy Loop

Read the OP. HHR didn't get the Switch from a "respectable establishment" to put it nicely.

And you really should stop posting.

I'm trying to think about how the chain of event could have happened.

Store -> guy steals unit from store -> HHR buys unit from thief

No?

Should it not be the store that tries to retrieve the unit rather than Nintendo?

Spy

It could have stayed confined in the other thread, which was perfectly on topic as it was about HHR getting [and subsequently losing] a Switch early. As others have said, by shining a glaring spotlight on it by creating a new thread against HHR's wishes, and now everyone is flipping their shit without the whole story, this could actually have detrimental legal ramifications against HHR.

You went off half cocked, and you can already see the result. 8 pages of "fuck Nintendo" from people who didn't read your full post-update OP, and who knows what else could come of it. Nintendo were being nice by not pressing charges, this could literally change that. Do you feel good about that possibility being a result of your actions? It might not happen, but it could. It was a shitty thing to do.

Also you thread title is "Nintendo has taken back" when in reality it is "Nintendo has asked for the Switch back" and the reasoning is because it was part of a stolen shipment. The language you used, even if you didn't mean to, has set the tone for the thread or people who didn't even click the thread but saw the title.
I suppose people see it from a different viewpoint than myself, I'll ask a mod to lock this thread at their discretion.
That's the most hilarious part of the whole thing. TC that he was Superman or the guy who will "take down Nintendo for their evil doings" lmao
Totally. It's exactly why I'm buying a Switch at launch, because I absolutely hate Nintendo.

Oh yeah Nintendo should totally just not do anything about a shipment of their products being stolen and sold to people.

Even if you didn't know?

Ignorance of the law does not absolve you. If you pay for something with a counterfeit bill, even if you didn't know it, you can get in serious trouble.

I suppose people see it from a different viewpoint from myself, I'll ask a mod to lock this thread at their discretion.

To be fair to you, I do understand why you thought it deserved a thread. I just think it was a really bad idea and something should have stopped you from doing it in the first place. I'm sorry I called you an idiot.

phanphare

Banned
What I meant was, if I purchased this thing from Best Buy and had a receipt, then I could prove that I did it with some legality. It is still within Nintendo's right to confiscate the system. Recouping the money would have to be some agreement, etc. Illegally? Well, you lose the system and lose your money.

My point is, is that they have a right to confiscate it no matter what.

if he had bought the system from best buy legally and legitimately got it early he would not have had to return it

see: every other time someone got something early from a retailer. like the PS4 Slim most recently.

Uhh, no, they shouldn't have. Do you know how stolen shipments are tracked down to the source? By the serial numbers on the devices, which correspond to shipment groups, which a POS (point of sale) system can then use to track back to where it was shipped to

Stolen shipments?

We dont have proof of anything outside of a single switch unit was somehow acquired early

gogogow

"...this should be known." lol

Hahahahahaa....holy shit lol. Didn't know that was there, I only read the quoted texts.
He's like "hiphoptherobot doesn't want Nintendo to get bad press, but this is important, so imma letting you guys know!!!!!"

Stolen shipments?

We dont have proof of anything outside of a single switch unit was somehow acquired early

Not according to hiphoptherobot. He said more are out there.

jax

Banned
I don't know why anyone believes that Nintendo got involved or took the system back. The guy claimed he received it early, then later claimed that he bought it from someone (be that a store or a someone on craigsist). His story doesn't add up, and the only thing that's known for sure is he got one early.

I wouldn't be surprised if he made up Nintendo contacting him, him giving it back, or anything about a third party getting involved.

I think the dude's full of shit.
What would he have to gain from .. wait .. he did all of this for a tag he never got. You might be on to something Trunks.

Fireblend

Banned
he's right in what he's saying though, aside from him not wanting to make the video and whatnot. People need to stop going aggro without having all the pieces of the puzzle.
Yes, but this is the Internet. If he keeps posting he's placing himself at risk of potential legal retaliation due to the way people are reacting regardless of his actual words. If things are cool with Nintendo he should just let things blow over and stop posting.

Your post implied Nintendo is a horrible monster for wanting their stolen goods back without a refund. When any company would have done the exact same thing.

That was me not understanding the OP and remembering him claiming that he got it early from a retailer. Of course you would jump to their defense for anything so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I would've said the same about any company as I didn't know they couldn't reimburse.

I really dont need to defend myself here. I didn't complain about Nintendo taking it from me and from the very first post on the subject said they had every right to take it back. And that last quote isn't what I said. Again, I am not looking for sympathy and already said I didnt even want this thread to be made.
Just prey.. because now is all in the hands of the press, if they make a mess with this that affect Nintendo... can bring you some trouble. You shouldn't never said nothing about this in first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom