• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo improving Switch’s memory and Capcom targeting RE Engine for Switch

Rodin

I would presume that Nintendo initially went with the 3GB RAM found in the Shield but added an extra GB later to appease developers.

Wish they had increased the bandwidth while they were at it.
I actually think that devs asking for more RAM kind of hints at bandwidth not being an issue for some reason. Otherwise they probably would've asked that too.

25.6GB/s seems low to me as well, but who knows.

Doctre81

The fact that they wanted the increase specifically for RE engine means they are at the very least TRYING to port it to switch. Great news.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Switch has over 6x usable RAM as the 360 did

bodes well for dat GTAV port

So Nintendo increased the RAM and Capcom still isn't committed? Ouch.

tbh no dev will ever be as committed as you are to these posts in every Switch thread 😂

Oregano

Well it sure sounds like it went like this:

"We need more RAM so we can port RE Engine"
"Okay have more RAM"
"Oh, I guess we'll try..."

Switch has over 6x usable RAM as the 360 did

bodes well for dat GTAV port

tbh no dev will ever be as committed as you are to these posts in every Switch thread 😂

It honestly doesn't take much effort, only a little bit more than third parties are putting into their Switch games.

BuggyMike

Well it sure sounds like it went like this:

"We need more RAM so we can port RE Engine"
"Okay have more RAM"
"Oh, I guess we'll try..."

It honestly doesn't take much effort, only a little bit more than third parties are putting into their Switch games.

You gathered that Capcom has no commitment to the Switch in (not even) the first month of the consoles release? I mean I'd understand if e3 came and we got nothing substantial from them but I don't see how you could make that judgement this early on

Genio88

Would be cool, after the downclocked Tegra X1 confirmation i was ready to say goodbye to every AAA port from XB1/PS4, but between this news and the Dark Souls 3 one, perhaps there is still some hope for some multiplatforms.
Also about Ram, Switch has 4GB of which 1 is for the OS and 3 for games, though being the OS so simple, and lacking any party and voice chat feature(which will be handled by the smartphone app), i think with some optimization they could manage to only use 500mb for the OS giving another 500mb to developers

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I doubt it'd RE7, for a number of reasons.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom wanted to make something with the Switch in mind kind of like the original Resident Evil Revelations was made for 3DS and a specialized version of the MT Framework Engine (as well as Resident Evil Mercenaries 3D testing the waters for that). The RE Engine is obviously at this point a main engine for Capcom and we'll probably be seeing a lot more of it in the next few years, so them wanting Switch support makes sense but as the Switch is notably less powerful than PS4/Xbox One/PC, I have an feeling they may choose to do some exclusive title for it, be it Resident Evil or otherwise.

Neff

The fact that they wanted the increase specifically for RE engine means they are at the very least TRYING to port it to switch. Great news.

I don't think it's about RE7 specifically, more that they'll be favouring the RE Engine going forward and wanted to ensure compatibility with it.

That said, I could see it being ported to Switch if they dropped the framerate and ripped a crapload of effects out of it, or even creating an exclusive RE title for it à la Revelations.

I imagine if they don't put RE7 on Switch they are at least gonna put RE2 Remake.

I'd be ecstatic with just REmake HD honestly.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
For the record the only game Capcom has released so far that runs on the RE Engine is RE7, and no other currently announced games are using the RE Engine. IE, neither Monster Hunter or the Street Fighter 2 port or Dead Rising 4 or anything uses the RE Engine.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if REmake 2 was running on the RE Engine, and we'll probably see it be used with non-Resident Evil games as well in the near future.

bachikarn

Would be cool, after the downclocked Tegra X1 confirmation i was ready to say goodbye to every AAA port from XB1/PS4, but between this news and the Dark Souls 3 one, perhaps there is still some hope for some multiplatforms.
Also about Ram, Switch has 4GB of which 1 is for the OS and 3 for games, though being the OS so simple, and lacking any party and voice chat feature(which will be handled by the smartphone app), i think with some optimization they could manage to only use 500mb for the OS giving another 500mb to developers

what Dark Souls 3 news?

Astral Dog

4GB is find for what the Switch is capable of doing (Tegra XI) goes fine with Nintendo double the memory compared to similar powered competitors/their own systems

Top Bottom