• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo initiates 9.5 million share buyback ($1 billion, Yamauchi inheritance)

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Is it not a good idea to buy some Nintendo shares then? Wouldn't such an acquisition of shares bump up the price tomorrow?

Buybacks usually depress the share price in the short term.

It does not sound like a buyback with cancellation (which would reduce the number of shares).

Linkyn

So how much do Nintendo have left after this?

Going by the maximum amount stated above, the buyback would set them back by about 1.22 billion $, which probably constitutes something like 8-12 % of their total assets.

Edit: Changed "cash reserves" to "total assets". I have virtually no knowledge of proper economic terminology.

I'm no business major, but wouldn't this strengthen their rights in a merger situation?

By default it should strengthen their control over the company but for a merger or partnership situation they could increase their own chances of continuing their own autonomy without much influence of the other company.

That's what I'm reading from this anyway. Other than the whole, Nintendo is artificially keeping their stock price high angle.

Going by the maximum amount stated above, the buyback would set them back by about 1.22 billion $, which probably constitutes something like 8-12 % of their total cash reserves.

Correct, it's just shy of 8% of their total assets, or a reduction of about 10% of their net assets (most of which are short-term investments and cash). And the poster above is also correct that they are kept and marked as treasury not cancelled - adding to an existing 13.8 million shares in treasury (or about 10% of the company).

Assuming Nintendo buys another 8% of the company later this year as the shares tank owing to non-recovery of the Wii U - 26% of the company could be sitting in treasury shares - perhaps more if Iwata keeps buying up more and more of the company. At a certain point the company could become much more viable for a management buyout.

We also don't know the exact power of treasury shares in NCL and whether management can exercise them at all - but what we know is that if infact someone attempts a hostile takeover, NCL could use the treasury shares to prevent that from happening by (one example) trying to find a party to acquire those shares with a mutual shareholding/buyback agreement.

Also, the existing parties in Japan that own Nintendo stock may also have certain restrictions on their ability to vote or have effectively assigned existing management the right to vote on their behalf. These kinds of shareholding agreements are relatively common in Japan.

Anyways IMHO if someone were infact stupid enough to attempt a hostile take over of NCL, they would be digging their own graves since talent attrition would end up killing the company - the IPs aren't as valuable as everyone thinks - Mario is relevant because of the talent behind it that has kept producing great games.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I'm no business major, but wouldn't this strengthen their rights in a merger situation?

By default it should strengthen their control over the company but for a merger or partnership situation they could increase their own chances of continuing their own autonomy without much influence of the other company.

That's what I'm reading from this anyway. Other than the whole, Nintendo is artificially keeping their stock price high angle.

In the case of a merger, what factors determine which company has the bigger control? (Like, in whose pockets goes the profits.)

Is there a reason why Yamauchi couldn't have just handed Nintendo all of his shares like if he knew his health was failing? Or that in his will he could've had the shares transferred with as little burden as possible to Nintendo?

I can't imagine he would've wanted Nintendo to spend such an outrageous amount of their own cash for his shares.

That and maybe by law you can't just say "here I'll just give you my shares for free!", maybe any share passing has to go by the bank and thus, money.

Joni

Going by the maximum amount stated above, the buyback would set them back by about 1.22 billion $, which probably constitutes something like 8-12 % of their total cash reserves.

Wasn't their actual cash reserve about 4 billion?

In the case of a merger, what factors determine which company has the bigger control?
That is part of the negotations. See how many shares from company A/B change into how many shares of the joint company.

QaaQer

Is there a reason why Yamauchi couldn't have just handed Nintendo all of his shares like if he knew his health was failing? Or that in his will he could've had the shares transferred with as little burden as possible to Nintendo?

I can't imagine he would've wanted Nintendo to spend such an outrageous amount of their own cash for his shares.

That and maybe by law you can't just say "here I'll just give you my shares for free!", maybe any share passing has to go by the bank and thus, money.

wtf? Putting Nintendo's interests above his children's?

Sounds like a no-win situation, but what else can you do when your large shareholders die, either buy the shares if you can or open yourself up to major outside problems.

He could have put his shares into a foundation - but why would he do that? His kids suffered immensely for the time he put into NCL - it's clear he wanted them/his grandchildren to inherit something. He's already given up so much to NCL - from his pension to the best years of his life. He also wanted his daughter and Arakawa (who built NOA) to get something.

Besides, this has all been planned for some time. From exchanging the Seattle Mariners for stock within NCL (1.1% apparently) to saving up huge amounts of cash to pay off the inheritance bill. NCL knew this was coming and they have been planning for it. It's good for the long-term future of the company that it can deal with things like this rather than rely on a giant handout to sustain their financials.

That wasn't how I was taking it. I was surprised that the family was bailing considering the extremely long history of the company, although I am in my cell phone and didn't try to look at the document. Iwata didn't even come to mind.
My comment was more to other people in the thread. The document in the OP doesn't say anything I said but they mentioned that being a motive at the investors meeting (or whenever the buyback was announced).

Off-topic: If they had their former president effectively pumping loads of money into the company it really would be SEGA 2.0.

Occam

While this move will reduce the risk of unwanted external influence, it also costs Nintendo A LOT of money. So the result for Nintendo is status quo, but less capital, which means a reduction of the total value of the company.

Sendou

While this move will reduce the risk of unwanted external influence, it also costs Nintendo A LOT of money. So the result for Nintendo is status quo, but less capital, which means a reduction of the total value of the company.

Does it actually? They can always sell those shares. It most certainly doesn't devalue Nintendo the amount of money they spent on buying those shares.

I don't know, wasn't he distant from his kids? Or maybe I'm thinking of someone else. But he put Nintendo in such a high regard, he let them keep his retirement fund (which I recall becoming the Q Fund).

I deeply apologize if it came off as insensitive in anyway, it was never intentional, I was just curious.

He could have put his shares into a foundation - but why would he do that? His kids suffered immensely for the time he put into NCL - it's clear he wanted them/his grandchildren to inherit something. He's already given up so much to NCL - from his pension to the best years of his life. He also wanted his daughter and Arakawa (who built NOA) to get something.

Besides, this has all been planned for some time. From exchanging the Seattle Mariners for stock within NCL (1.1% apparently) to saving up huge amounts of cash to pay off the inheritance bill. NCL knew this was coming and they have been planning for it. It's good for the long-term future of the company that it can deal with things like this rather than rely on a giant handout to sustain their financials.

I didn't know some of this. Sorry. :(

DeaviL

Banned
I'm tired of people nagging about Nintendo being a sinking ship.
From now on i'll refer to Nintendo as a submarine thank you very much.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Does it actually? They can always sell those shares. It most certainly doesn't devalue Nintendo the amount of money they spent on buying those shares.

Indeed, I think the 81% loss of value over the last 7 years is a bigger concern than any potential loss from the differential between the buyback price and any future sale price.

My comment was more to other people in the thread. The document in the OP doesn't say anything I said but they mentioned that being a motive at the investors meeting (or whenever the buyback was announced).

Off-topic: If they had their former president effectively pumping loads of money into the company it really would be SEGA 2.0.

Agree with your sentiment - thank you for raising it.

And you are also absolutely right - Okawa-san basically gave away everything to Sega before he died. He and Yamauchi were colleagues (they were born a year apart) - and I am sure the experience with Sega played into the way Yamauchi thought about his own decisions relating to Nintendo. Sega ceased to exist as an independent institution and was forced to merge with Sammy in a few years after his death - part of transferring ownership for Yamauchi was probably also influenced by the fact that he didn't want NCL to get complacent.

If his descendants are already successful and leave a comfortable life, I don't see why not. Nintendo is his life's work and if he thought his children don't need it or could even damage it, he has all the right to choose to leave someone else in charge.

Occam

In short: By buying the shares, they reduce their cash reserves. They have less money they can use directly.

From Wikipedia:
On the balance sheet, treasury stock is listed under shareholders' equity as a negative number. The accounts may be called "Treasury stock" or "equity reduction".

Miles X

Thank you, not a massive dent to them really then.

How would it reduce the value of the company when the worth of the stocks purchased would be added to its value?

It's pretty much a

Code:
Cash  -$1.2b
Treasury Stocks  +$1.2b
deal.

So Nintendo's cash reserves dwindle even further. A couple more years of losses and those reserves will be looking pretty thin.

For all those saying "it prevents a hostile takeover," was there any indication that a company was planning this? Because to me it doesn't seem like that's the reason they did it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
This is just financial management no? I doubt this has any relevance to the gaming side of things

Well, it should give more control of the company to its self and not the investors, which could slow down any bids to replace key members of Nintendo's Management. Officially, its to 'reward' investors, by giving them a way to make up for the lack of dividends.

Vishnu

That 1.22 billion is only 8-12% of their cash reserve? Holy crap.
That would mean they have like 10 billion in cash reserve? That sounds like an insane amount to me.

Other companies have to be looking in envy to Nintendo, with that much cash, and so many Ip's.

emb

Is it possible for them to just hold on to those and gradually buy the rest, eventually becoming a private company?

For all those saying "it prevents a hostile takeover," was there any indication that a company was planning this? Because to me it doesn't seem like that's the reason they did it.

It's not the reason, but it DOES offer security from such an option. You have to look at this long term as well... Nintendo isn't doing too hot right now, but in a few years it could be MUCH worse. If that stock was just floating around and had devalued enough to make Nintendo a worthy acquisition for it's properties it could be hostily taken over.

I imagine even if the worst case scenario came about and Nintendo DID eventually have to merge/be acquired, Nintendo would still want to have some final say in WHO.

Is it possible for them to just hold on to those and gradually buy the rest, eventually becoming a private company?

They probably could... but what would becoming a private company gain them? You get a lot of capital from being a corporation.

It'll stabilize the stock price, but this move diminishes Nintendo's cash reserves and limits the ability of stockholders to oust the company's current incompetent leadership. Not a good long-term move for a company that's bleeding money.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
That 1.22 billion is only 8-12% of their cash reserve? Holy crap.
That would mean they have like 10 billion in cash reserve? That sounds like an insane amount to me.

Other companies have to be looking in envy to Nintendo, with that much cash, and so many Ip's.

They had $8.6 billion last September.

So this will take them down to $7.38 billion, less anything else that has affected that reserve since September.

For comparison, and to get an idea of their burn rate (although some of this is due to investment) it was reported in April 2012 that they were sitting on $14 billion.

GCX

It'll stabilize the stock price, but this move diminishes Nintendo's cash reserves and limits the ability of stockholders to oust the company's current incompetent leadership. Not a good long-term move for a company that's bleeding money.
Actually it's a good long-term move but a bad yet necessary short-time move. Yamauchi's shares flooding to the market would cause a stock price collapse.

GeekyDad

Gross overstatement of the day.

Tobor

Iwata was personally chosen by Yamauchi as his successor. Must not have much faith in their Grandfather's judgment.

Nobody's perfect. Yamauchi made some great moves, and some poor ones. Leaving Iwata in charge was a poor one.

Top Bottom