• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo is once again the larger company than Sony

sekrit

Banned
The playstation 4 itself is not going to be that profitable until they get their services and games rolling.

Looks like they're playing it safe this year in the box office... tons or remakes:
Robocop
About Last Night
The Equalizer (technically a remake of a show)
Popeye
Annie

Maybe 2014 will be a good year for Sony's movie division? Looking at that list, I realize I had no idea two of those films existed before this post, and three of those star African Americans in roles that were traditionally white. Strange coincidence for Sony Pictures.
I think annie is starring Will smith's daughter

ramuh

Nintendo although we like to complain about sometimes, has stayed pretty profitable. Sony, with it's many divisions will probably never completely close all those divisions. In the case of the Ericsson brand, Sony merger, they acquired a number of phone patents but also acquired a new direction that had to be integrated in the company. With this new One Sony Ethos (that ONE brand seems to be the new big word among corporations) I don't see them eliminating divisions but integrating them further. You see this with their latest keynote and talking about the production of the service to the delivery of it. All IMO.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
No, they actually cannot afford to be a loss-leading company in the same way Microsoft and Sony can. Don't be foolish.

They can but they don't want to for good reason, the only reason they're comparatively profitable overall in comparison to Sony and Microsoft's gaming division is because they didn't compete. It Seems Sony and Microsoft are starting to learn however so if they tried now they probably could start to compete without bleeding too much (hardware wise) third party, it'd still be an extremely tough venture.

Miles X

Most people who own a Wii U are happy with it, so... no? They just need to fire their marketing department.

How on earth does that have anything to do with people wanting PS4's and not wanting WiiU's? The figures speak for themselves.

-Horizon-

Here, let me teach you a thing or two about developers starting with the basics. What you're seeing now is my normal state. This is a 1st Party Developer.

Now this is a developer that has ascended past a 1st Party Developer. Or you could just call this one a 3rd Party Developer. 

AND THIS! To go even further! Beyond! I'm sorry that took so long...I haven't had much time to pratice this transformation. This is what I call a Super 4th party Developer. 

What the heck am I doing...

Never go full legendary.

Oriel

I said god damn!!... Why wont MS cut the shit and just buy both companies? :p

Likely because they don't have a spare 40 billion floating around to buy both. That and Japan would go ape at the thoughts of buying an American console, the Microsoft 3DS.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Sony needs to cut the three bolded items and possibly cut cameras, or seriously shrink that division.
Even if they are losing money I hope Sony never goes out of the laptop business, they still make the best consumer laptops IMO

Like I said Scrooge Mcduck, Staying rich can simply involving conserving and minimising costs. Scrooge isn't rich for no reason. It's a common trait for many that have amassed and continue to amass wealth.

I come to GAF for the games, I stay for the deep market analysis.

I take some issue with the title. Nintendo is valued more highly than Sony, sure. I'd say size has more to do with the number of employees, in which case Sony is way bigger.

Speevy

Banned
I don't see how Nintendo can claim any victory.

Sony could literally sink into the earth and the Wii U would still be the worst selling platform in modern gaming history.

MYE

Is there some law about not being able to buy Japanese companies? That's why MS failed in buying Nintendo?

I might be wrong but I think the "MS take over" thing was never anything more than internal talk between big MS suits?

Is it right to think that Sony's refusal to cease tv production or spinoff their entertainment division is because they're betting big on 4K?

They're really the only TV maker with an serious content production capabilities. Can't they prety much force people to buy their 4K tvs a la blu-Ray?

Ecotic

Ah interesting ... is it possible for an American company to initiate a hostile takeover?

Microsoft could've bought Nintendo against their will by offering a tender offer to all shareholders, for example a 20% premium on all outstanding shares, but on the condition that the sale would go through only if a majority of the existing shares agreed to sale. Nintendo is largely owned by large institutional banks and enough individual shareholders that they wouldn't pass up the chance for an easy profit. Japanese banks or not, a 20% or so free bonus is not passed up.

But it would have been an ugly, public fight. And companies can initiate any number of poison pill maneuvers to dissuade unwanted suitors. And Microsoft probably would've been in violation of a number of U.S. and European laws that prevent unfair dominance of a particular market segment. After the lawsuits, the probability of inheriting a damaged company from poison pill maneuvers, and the headache of having to incorporate a new large multinational into an even larger multinational company, it probably just wasn't worth it.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Is it right to think that Sony's refusal to cease tv production or spinoff their entertainment division is because they're betting big on 4K?

They're really the only TV maker with an serious content production capabilities. Can't they prety much force people to buy their 4K tvs a la blu-Ray?

The can't force people, especially not cheaply. The Blu-ray inclusion in the ps3 which helped them gain dominance cots them millions.

SerodD

Somebody in the other thread said they only had 3 billion dollars

That would be me.

Acording to this: http://markets.ft.com/research/Markets/Tearsheets/Financials?s=7974:TYO

About 594 million USD represents 15,28% of they're cash reserve, which if I'm not wrong means they should have about 3,89 billion USD ( + 594 (gain?) = 4.484 billion USD) (is this right?)

So my calculations were off? or is this site showing wrong numbers?

OryoN

And yet Sony is in a ton more industries then Nintendo.

TV's
Laptops
Movies
Music
Videogame Hardware
Videogame Software
Videogame handheld Hardware
Cameras

List goes on.

Nintendo?

Dude, that actually paints Nintendo in the more positive light. They are expert at the ONE thing they do, and easily competiting with a multi-industry entity like Sony, who seems to be the jack of all trades, and master of none.

Top Bottom