• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo is once again the larger company than Sony

Broritos

This can't be cuz sony and microsoft are the biggest companies in the world. nintendo is not because nintendo is not sony and microsoft while sony and microsoft are sony and microsfot. nintendoomed.

Wynnebeck

Banned
In what way? Not saying the WiiU is doing great, but it's not the "worst modern gaming platform" by far.

Neither is the Vita. Both platforms are selling terribly for two different reasons. The only difference is that Wii U is more important to Nintendo's overall roadmap moreso than Vita is to Sony.

Ricky 7

Here, let me teach you a thing or two about developers starting with the basics. What you're seeing now is my normal state. This is a 1st Party Developer.

Now this is a developer that has ascended past a 1st Party Developer. Or you could just call this one a 3rd Party Developer. 

AND THIS! To go even further! Beyond! I'm sorry that took so long...I haven't had much time to pratice this transformation. This is what I call a Super 4th party Developer. 

What the heck am I doing...

lol we were all thinking it.

KoopaTheCasual

Here, let me teach you a thing or two about developers starting with the basics. What you're seeing now is my normal state. This is a 1st Party Developer.

Now this is a developer that has ascended past a 1st Party Developer. Or you could just call this one a 3rd Party Developer. 

AND THIS! To go even further! Beyond! I'm sorry that took so long...I haven't had much time to pratice this transformation. This is what I call a Super 4th party Developer. 

What the heck am I doing...
This post alone vindicates this thread.

Wasn't there a recently released anime, where all the characters were carictures of gaming companies?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Please, explain how the Vita is doing better than the WiiU. I'd love to hear.

I was just amused by your great answer to that other guy claiming nintendo had the worst selling modern plattform, which they definitely doesnt have. I definitely agree the Vita is in the trajectory of being that, not the Wii U.

Riki

Neither is the Vita. Both platforms are selling terribly for two different reasons. The only difference is that Wii U is more important to Nintendo's overall roadmap moreso than Vita is to Sony.

Never said otherwise. Simply that calling the WiiU the worst selling modern gaming platform was wrong.

RedSwirl

No, they actually cannot afford to be a loss-leading company in the same way Microsoft and Sony can. Don't be foolish.

You're right that Nintendo can't afford to be a loss-leading company -- that's the path to SEGA. That doesn't mean however that Nintendo couldn't put out a competitively powerful console and potentially still sell it at or above cost. They did that until the Wii, afterwards choosing to put significant portions of its hardware budgets into new control interfaces.

Furthermore, the PS4 and Xbox One seem to be sold at much smaller losses than their predecessors. I think a bigger reason Nintendo stays out of that race today is because they believe there isn't room in the console space for three similar platforms.

Nintendo definitely needs to do something different than what it's currently doing with consoles, but whatever it does, without other industries to back it up it needs to maintain its trademark fiscal prudence.

anaron

This can't be cuz sony and microsoft are the biggest companies in the world. nintendo is not because nintendo is not sony and microsoft while sony and microsoft are sony and microsfot. nintendoomed.

I wish this was real but regardless:

dead

KoopaTheCasual

Please, explain how the Vita is doing better than the WiiU. I'd love to hear.
well to be honest, doesn't the Vita make money and have a crazy high attach rate, while the WiiU is sold at a loss, with a poor attach rate? Not that it really matters. Both devices are the same of the respective company.

lupinko

Nooooooooooooooooo

Not Music. Do you know how huge Sony Music is? Especially in Japan? They are being supported by the biggest bands and artists over there that sells huge amount of copies.

Forget about Japan, Sony has artists like Adele and Beyoncé, not even counting it's music publishing business that includes The Beatles, Elvis, Michael Jackson's catalogs and so forth.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Never said otherwise. Simply that calling the WiiU the worst selling modern gaming platform was wrong.

It's like you two are competing and fighting to decide whether WiiU or Vita is the proud holder of the title "2nd worst of all time". Which is both hilarious and silly to me :p

"It's terrible, but at least it is not as terrible as that one!" So... yay?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
well to be honest, doesn't the Vita make money and have a crazy high attach rate, while the WiiU is sold at a loss, with a poor attach rate? Not that it really matters. Both devices are the same of the respective company.

The Vita's profitability is dubious at best (I still remember the rumblings of 3 years to profitability for the Vita). But regardless. Sony hides the Vita's shipment numbers from investors, investors. If that's doesn't tell you something is terribly wrong nothing will.

Dude, that actually paints Nintendo in the more positive light. They are expert at the ONE thing they do, and easily competiting with a multi-industry entity like Sony, who seems to be the jack of all trades, and master of none.

This would make sense if the PS4 didn't just outsell the Wii U LTD in about a month.

I would say it's paints Nintendo in a worse light. The one thing they do, and a "master of none" is beating them at it. At least the 3DS is doing awesome, love that little guy.

Salex_

Forget about Japan, Sony has artists like Adele and Beyoncé, not even counting it's music publishing business that includes The Beatles, Elvis, Michael Jackson's catalogs and so forth.

Wow, really? I learn something new about Sony every 2 days lol. I had no idea they published shows like The Boondocks, Robot Chicken, The Dr. Oz Show, Wheel Of Fortune, and a bunch of other shows/music.

Keyouta

Sony really should cut their TV and laptop businesses. They also need to shrink their camera and smartphone divisions.

gogogow

This would make sense if the PS4 didn't just outsell the Wii U LTD in about a month.

I would say it's paints Nintendo in a worse light. The one thing they do, and a "master of none" is beating them at it. At least the 3DS is doing awesome, love that little guy.

It did? How much did the Wii U sell in 2013? Source?

Principate

Saint Titanfall

TBF he's pretty obvious talking about long-term profitability and growth. Sony didn't just end up it's current position over night, it took multiple wii u sized (or rather bigger), to reach it's current point.

But lets not discount how bad the Wii u is for Nintendo it's pretty bad

Tripon

The Vita's profitability is dubious at best (I still remember the rumblings of 3 years to profitability for the Vita). But regardless. Sony hides the Vita's shipment numbers from investors, investors. If that's doesn't tell you something is terribly wrong nothing will.

That's the big red flag. There's a reason Sony has pretty much admitted that the Vita is their last dedicated handheld, and is moving to some sort of Xperia hybrid and tablets to funcation for their mobile gaming needs.

ramuh

Wow, really? I learn something new about Sony every 2 days lol. I had no idea they published shows like The Boondocks, Robot Chicken, The Dr. Oz Show, Wheel Of Fortune, and a bunch of other shows/music.

And Breaking Bad. Lol.

Breaking Bad,Community,Seinfeld and The Blacklist.

Miles X

Microsoft could've bought Nintendo against their will by offering a tender offer to all shareholders, for example a 20% premium on all outstanding shares, but on the condition that the sale would go through only if a majority of the existing shares agreed to sale. Nintendo is largely owned by large institutional banks and enough individual shareholders that they wouldn't pass up the chance for an easy profit. Japanese banks or not, a 20% or so free bonus is not passed up.

But it would have been an ugly, public fight. And companies can initiate any number of poison pill maneuvers to dissuade unwanted suitors. And Microsoft probably would've been in violation of a number of U.S. and European laws that prevent unfair dominance of a particular market segment. After the lawsuits, the probability of inheriting a damaged company from poison pill maneuvers, and the headache of having to incorporate a new large multinational into an even larger multinational company, it probably just wasn't worth it.

Thanks for this and all the other posts guys. Very interesting. I often wonder if Sony went below $10 would it be worth MS buying them, cutting the fat and merging Playstation and Xbox.

Speevy

Banned
Guys, the difference between the Vita and Wii U is that Sony doesn't have the Vita hanging around its neck. The company can pretend it doesn't exist.

Nintendo has to pretend they support the Wii U until its "generation" ends, and even then, there's little to suggest that they'll he more successful.

Sony actually went from last place to first. Nintendo went from first place to not just last, but dead.

As long as the PS4 keeps leading the market, Sony will keep successfully convincing its stakeholders that the platform is worthwhile.

Meanwhile the entire Wii brand is dead.. There's nothing left of it. The largest and most lucrative sector of the gaming market left Nintendo behind.

And as for the 3DS, every subsequent handheld Nintendo releases will sell less than the DS did. Sony will discontinue the handheld Playstation eventually in favor of mobile devices that carry the software.

Vita sales are pathetic, but they don't make Sony look pathetic by association. The Wii U has turned Nintendo into a laughing stock.

It did? How much did the Wii U sell in 2013? Source?

My bad, I worded that wrong, will surpass the LTD very soon. Wii U is estimated at around 5 million and PS4 has been stated to sell 4.2 million not counting this past week. You're right, we don't have any concrete numbers from Nintendo but I think the writing is on the wall.

Sony really should cut their TV and laptop businesses. They also need to shrink their camera and smartphone divisions.

Their Smartphones are doing really well. They are making up big ground in Europe and are focusing on several markets rather than try to enter markets like America where it will be hard for them to be competitive.

The yen is killing Sony, but I am sure the stock will soar after the next report. The PS4 is doing great numbers and is this quarter will see it making them money.

Wynnebeck

Banned
It's like you two are competing and fighting to decide whether WiiU or Vita is the proud holder of the title "2nd worst of all time". Which is both hilarious and silly to me :p

"It's terrible, but at least it is not as terrible as that one!" So... yay?

I couldn't care less which one gets the title because they both suck. However, the Wii U is the successor to a 100+ million unit selling system and it's selling abysmally. To investors, that's more of an apparent problem especially atfer seeing how the PS4/Xbone are selling, then Sony selling a failing handheld in a landscape currently being taken over by mobile.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Vita sales are pathetic, but they don't make Sony look pathetic by association. The Wii U has turned Nintendo into a laughing stock.

Speaking of stock... hey, what's the discussion of this thread is about again? :p

I couldn't care less which one gets the title because they both suck. However, the Wii U is the successor to a 100+ million unit selling system and it's selling abysmally. To investors, that's more of an apparent problem especially atfer seeing how the PS4/Xbone are selling, then Sony selling a failing handheld in a landscape currently being taken over by mobile.

But of course.

Sandfox

It doesn't really matter what "place" you're in as long as your company is making money which is all these companies need to focus on.

The Wii U won't see another Christmas though.

It'll last at least another year.

The Vita made me realize how much SCEA sucks and that 3rd parties could probably blackmail them in Japan or something and get away with it.

Funny how Nintendo can seem so insignificant, and yet turn out to be one of the juggernauts in the gaming industry by looking at the numbers.

Isn't 'presence' a lot more indicative of being a 'juggernaut'? I get it, they're worth a lot. But their output and market share in the console space is becoming smaller and smaller. We don't count the Surface or the Windows Phone as a "juggernaut" in their respective industries even though MS as a company is extremely wealthy.

In fact it irritates me that Nintendo isn't pushing harder. Bundles, major moneyhats to 3rd parties, anything ... but maybe it's because I just don't enjoy their most recent output is why I'm jaded I want to see the pot stirred. The Wii U is the first Nintendo console (besides the Virtual Boy) I haven't bought day 1. A major personal preference because nobody can deny their output is still quality.

SerodD

Lexxism

It seems like people kept saying that Vita has a high attach rate. Can someone provide any link for this? I'm really curious.

Top Bottom