• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo is probably leaving millions of dollars off their books not supporting PC

is this true?
5HWe98r.jpg

Holammer

The question is brought up occasionally in investor Q&A.
As long as they deliver, larger shareholders won't put any pressure on them.

I think that if there is one company that could create their own app/launcher on PC and be massively successful, it is Nintendo.
No kidding. It'd be the one extra launcher where i'd just say, "screw it, as long as I get to play them." I LOVE Nintendo games, but the Switch is just not capable hardware to really let their games shine. Breath of the Wild/Tears of the Kingdom/Luigi's Mansion 3 look fantastic running on PC and it makes going back to the Switch kinda hard to do when you see how much better it looks on capable hardware.

Nintendo, I bought the Switch, I bought the games, now just give me a license and make it convenient for me to play on my PC. Everyone wins.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I don't think so. Putting their games on PC would be a easy way to make suddently lot of money, but they'd devaluate all their future hardware, and they make tons of money because their exclusives are playable only on their consoles.
Exactly, Sony could have made their estimates if it weren’t for putting their games on PC;
Xbox wouldn’t be going third party if they didn’t put their games on PC.

ReyBrujo

I remember reading that the in-house software development is intimate linked to the hardware, that many times they decide what features should have the console based on the way they want their games to be played (d-pad for NES, shoulder buttons for SNES, rumble for N64, touch screen for DS, motion for Wii, etc). It makes sense if so.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I’m not sure. They’d probably make bank on their first party software but at the cost of greatly devaluing the proposition of owning their own hardware.

Considering they make money on first party software, hardware, and third party software I doubt the money from PC would make up for the potential loss of their user base. At least as long as they can push out systems that sell 100+ million units.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Nintendo actually makes money selling consoles (a lot of it), unlike Sony and MS. And of course licensing fees on everything else sold for the Switch. So no, I don't know why they'd want to do that. They would make some extra money short term, but what effect would it have long term? Nintendo has probably analyzed that scenario and decided against it.

00_Zer0

If I was a shareholder, I'd be all over Nintendo to start supporting the PC platform.

Can you imagine a game like The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild or Tears of the Kingdom releasing on PC? Mind boggling.

Have they commented previously about why they don't support PC?

It's hard to process the money they're missing out on.
Nintendo would hate to resort to porting their games to PC. It would only be as a last resort with them hanging by a thread financially. If you thought a company like Ubisoft/Rockstar/2K/EA Games were terrible to their PC customers, then wait till you see litigious Nintendo go after the mod community or have some backwards DRM installed on their games that is worse than we already have. I am a big Nintendo fan, but even I see them as anti consumer with their ridiculous policies. I don't think it will ever happen. They don't have the mindset to be able to handle PC gaming with all it's quirks like the modding community.

Nintendo feels that it would dilute the value of their IP. I remember them saying as much back when mobile was hot.

I'm pro-accessibility so I hate the idea of exclusives anyway, but Nintendo is really married to the idea of software selling hardware. Nintendo is enjoying a bit of renaissance due to the Switch, but they've also had tons of hardware duds that have tested this concept (Wii U, GameCube).

I think if the hardware isn't enticing to buyers, then their software reach will suffer as well. Switch 2 has to interesting enough for a hundred million people to want to replace their Switch. If it's like a Wii U then they're going to need all that reserve cash.

Sorcerer

Would it require separate teams just to work on the PC ports? That's an expense right there. Also, would the PC versions be expected to hit higher fidelity targets? That would be a weird dilemma for Nintendo having a better version of all their games on PC, devaluing their hardware. Plus, we would have to get used to the games on the PC side being somewhat buggy initially. It would certainly mean the end of gimmick/gadget Nintendo if the games across both platforms are expected to have parity.

All Nintendo have to do is stay their course, swim in the opposite direction of the big boys, who are currently tripping all over themselves, and they will survive, like Keith Richards and the cockroaches in a nuclear war.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
PC is the antithesis of what Nintendo is all about - they're a toymaker. They sell you a toy machine and it plays other toys. Their games are specifically designed for that hardware - the hardware that outsells practically everything else - and they don't have to worry about what it looks like, or how it runs, across a gigantic scale of computer power. They don't care. PC owners will just buy Nintendo hardware and the ones that pirate and emulate the games are just going to do that regardless.

Isn't it funny how often this subject comes up, yet it's Microsoft floundering around adapting business strategies and Sony cutting 900 jobs? Sometimes you win by playing your own game and not constantly trying to one-up the other guy.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lmao both Sony and MS have been porting their games on PCs the last few years, it didnt save either company.

If anything, it slowed down their console sales while Steam concurrent users and pc hardware sales keep going up making Gabe and Jensen billions in the process.

If Nintendo ports their games to PC they will see the same fate as Sony and Microsoft. lagging hardware sales, layoffs, studio shut downs, cancellations and a complete reevaluation of their business. Good luck.

Last edited:
Nintendo understands its strength, which is their library of first party IPs, and how their diehard fans will buy anything from them. People are willing to buy their hardware just for their exclusives, and unless that behavior changes, they will not goto PC. It makes zero sense to devalue their own IPs.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It might be true that they have the highest value with no debt, but they are far from the highest value. Toyota for example is a 59.1 trillion company.
Richest and most valuable are two different things. Toyota's cash to debt ratio is 0.36. At the end of 2023, for every dollar of debt Toyota had they had only 36 cents in cash. Nintendo had no debt. If the sky fell and Toyota had to pay all of their debt today they would be much worse off than Nintendo.

bitbydeath

Richest and most valuable are two different things. Toyota's cash to debt ratio is 0.36. At the end of 2023, for every dollar of debt Toyota had they had only 36 cents in cash. Nintendo had no debt. If the sky fell and Toyota had to pay all of their debt today they would be much worse off than Nintendo.
Quick google shows just 240.93 billion in debt, they wouldn’t fall to Nintendo levels.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
you forgot Xbox in your insightful comment.
You shouldn't even waste your time when it comes to Sony game sales and him.

OT: Eh, Nintendo is holding it down just fine. I'm sure they'll adjust if need be and I'm glad they continue push exclusives.

Last edited:
Royalties are the #1 answer. They would need to charge more to turn the same profit per game. (i. e. Pokemon Shuffle transactions cost more on the mobile versions than 3DS.)

Fbh

Maybe, but they also risk hurting their console business which no doubt makes a lot of money.

I'd argue Nintendo consoles are way more exclusive driven than Sony and Xbox ones. Lots of people buy Playstations and Xboxes to primarily play third party games (Fifa, COD, Fortnite, Assassins Creed, Hogwarts Legacy, Elden Ring, etc) and the exclusives are basically just a cherry on top. Nintendo consoles basically live and die by their exclusives, lots of people buy them specifically to play Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, etc.

A Playstation with no exclusives still has appeal because it's still a $499 box with decent performance that gets all major third party games.
A Switch with no exclusives is just an overpriced handheld.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Quick google shows just 240.93 billion in debt, they wouldn’t fall to Nintendo levels.
240.93 billion in debt vs. 86.7 billion cash on hand. They couldn't pay all of their debt without having to sell off more than 30% of their assets after using up all of their cash. I'm sure they would survive, but they wouldn't be the same company.

T-0800

If I was a shareholder, I'd be all over Nintendo to start supporting the PC platform.

Can you imagine a game like The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild or Tears of the Kingdom releasing on PC? Mind boggling.

Have they commented previously about why they don't support PC?

It's hard to process the money they're missing out on.
You don't know that. I think Nintendo are doing a good job.

Top Bottom