• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo is removing games from my Wii U & 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiggNife

Sure he did wrong and violated ToS...

but why the fuck now do we have to bash OP?

"Probably some rich white kid... [loss rewards] are peanuts to you"

"On the verge of committing fraud"

"That's what you get"

"Manipulative"

And these aren't even the ironic posts.

Seriously read what some of you write before you post.
He made a thread very obviously designed to garner sympathy because he got caught for manipulating a system in a way that was clearly against the rules, and did not elaborate on exactly what he did until a number of people pointed out that the facts just weren't adding up. If you were to look solely at the OP he tries his best to make it look black and white when that isn't really the case.

I agree that some of the posts are a bit severe, but are you saying we should pity him? Because I'm finding it hard to feel bad for this guy.

donny2112

Since my mind works on a different level then most I would hazard to guess that this niece and nephew does not exist.

Would explain

1) Aberrant game buying behavior, as said game-buying behavior would no longer exist. (Note that the presence of receipts for all the games would seem to go against this at least to some degree. As said, showmthereciepits.gif .)
2) Reason why he's ready to cut all ties to Nintendo games so quickly, since no one else would actually be suffering from it.
3) Explain disconnected mindset of someone on one hand being so generous with non-immediate family members who on the other hand is okay with automating out of a job 75% of his immediate co-workers just for personal gain.

Hope that's not the case, but as this thread goes on and more information comes out, seems more likely that that's the case. :(

eggwolio

I'm finally caught up with this thread and can contribute some of my thoughts.

The address change may have raised a red flag with Nintendo, but the bigger flag was the sheer amount of coins in the account. I also have ended up with some duplicate codes over the years and have a family account setup. It's hard to resist buying a few used copies of Wii Fit for a buck and getting a hundred coins out of each. I do tend to stockpile codes from games which I purchase, as well as ones given to me by friends or family. In these instances, I ask their opinions of the games and fill the surveys out accordingly. This is almost definitely against the rules, but I do not feel like it is total dishonesty. I also do this knowing that if Nintendo comes down on me, I am the one to blame. I admit to this for two reasons:

First, I got a slap on the wrist for it during the Mario Kart 8 free games promo. I had an issue which required I call customer service and the gentleman on the phone commented about how many people in my family were named eggwolio with a number after it. I laughed and tried to shrug it off, and he said, "that's not allowed, but you don't appear to have abused it. Just know that we are aware." (I'm paraphrasing, but that was the gist of it.) I've barely logged in since, but will be deleting some family members when I do.

The second reason I mention this is because holy crap are surveys tedious. Half the reason I stockpile is because I can't be bothered to answer all of the questions over and over and over. I whipped out a stack for the luigi figurine and it was mind numbing. I don't know how someone could sit through twelve thousand coins worth of those surveys without some sort of automated program to fill them out on his or her behalf. In fact, it would probably be easy to forget just how many accounts one had if he or she were to write a script that logs into one account, attempts to redeem a code, and then either moves to the next account or autofills the survey depending on whether or not that title had been registered previously. I can't imagine that this is particularly hard coding, but no one has ever mentioned automation like this previously. That always kinda surprised me, that here on GAF where things like idlemaster are created to farm Steam cards, no one had automated this process. And now, thanks to this thread, I've learned that is also against the ToS. Who knows if TTH did this or not, but it certainly seems to me he's capable. Maybe I'm wrong and dude really likes surveys.

The final thing I wanna point out is that the surveys are kind of silly, in my opinion. I shouldn't need to rate a game on a hundred point scale. My purchase should tell you that I like your product. We live in an age where I can get any information I need to know about a game instantly before I make my purchase. My purchase of said game should be all of the research you need. I got all kinds of prizes from kool-aid when I was a kid. Sure, I had to pay shipping for those, but other than that, all I had to do was buy kool-aid. There was no questionnaire about how I felt about a certain flavor or if I added sugar or how much water I mixed it with or if I poured the powder directly into my mouth or if I even drank it at all. I just sent them proof that my family and I and anyone else who would throw me some UPCs were buying their product. They knew we liked it because we BOUGHT it.

I think that a system where we are rewarded for purchases and given an option to speak out in detail would be better, yes, but that's really splitting hairs. Complaining about rewards for games I will be buying anyway really just seems silly. As silly as parading around, bragging about how many coins I have accrued or regularly giving away freebies to the little folks with their paltry coin balances just so that I can later emphasize my own philanthropy when it all goes awry. When a gift is given discretely, it's usually a gesture for the recipient. I feel like a public gift is just as much if not more for the high fives and pats on the back which go along with it.

I don't think anyone should be discouraged from giving away or accepting (for free) Club Nintendo rewards. Just don't go overboard.

donny2112

The second reason I mention this is because holy crap are surveys tedious. Half the reason I stockpile is because I can't be bothered to answer all of the questions over and over and over. I whipped out a stack for the luigi figurine and it was mind numbing. I don't know how someone could sit through twelve thousand coins worth of those surveys without some sort of automated program to fill them out on his or her behalf. In fact, it would probably be easy to forget just how many accounts one had if he or she were to write a script that logs into one account, attempts to redeem a code, and then either moves to the next account or autofills the survey depending on whether or not that title had been registered previously. I can't imagine that this is particularly hard coding, but no one has ever mentioned automation like this previously. That always kinda surprised me, that here on GAF where things like idlemaster are created to farm Steam cards, no one had automated this process. And now, thanks to this thread, I've learned that is also against the ToS. Who knows if TTH did this or not, but it certainly seems to me he's capable. Maybe I'm wrong and dude really likes surveys.

This is a very compelling point. He's already shown his propensity to automate mundane tasks in his work place, so there's little doubt that he could do the same with surveys, which would be against TOS, as you said. 12K coins of surveys over a couple of years wouldn't be impossible without automation, but yeah, you'd have to invest some real time into the surveys.

When a gift is given discretely, it's usually a gesture for the recipient. I feel like a public gift is just as much if not more for the high fives and pats on the back which go along with it.

Sure. As another great feature of Modbot, if you wanted to give away a game without any fanfare and weren't giving it to a specific person, the ability to give something away anonymously is built into it, too. :)

Since my mind works on a different level then most I would hazard to guess that this niece and nephew does not exist.

They do exist.

Would explain

1) Aberrant game buying behavior, as said game-buying behavior would no longer exist. (Note that the presence of receipts for all the games would seem to go against this at least to some degree. As said, showmthereciepits.gif .)
2) Reason why he's ready to cut all ties to Nintendo games so quickly, since no one else would actually be suffering from it.
3) Explain disconnected mindset of someone on one hand being so generous with non-immediate family members who on the other hand is okay with automating out of a job 75% of his immediate co-workers just for personal gain.

Hope that's not the case, but as this thread goes on and more information comes out, seems more likely that that's the case. :(

I cut ties with companies [as told earlier] that I do not agree with regarding their actions.

Friends and family are more important to me than co-workers.

Did not automate surveys; I don't know java / html.

Hi Everyone,

My Club Nintendo account has been restored. Unfortunately for a lot of people here, they will be disappointed to know they attacked me for incorrect reasons.

1. Club Nintendo Account is restored.
2. Club Nintendo rewards cannot be sold
3. Club Nintendo rewards can be given away for free.

Thank you everyone who supported me.

LvwmCSQ.jpg

maxcriden

Hi Everyone,

My Club Nintendo account has been restored. Unfortunately for a lot of people here, they will be disappointed to know they attacked me for incorrect reasons.

LvwmCSQ.jpg

Congrats! You should really make a new thread as I doubt many will see this otherwise, unfortunately.

Greenzxy

Hi Everyone,

LvwmCSQ.jpg

Well done.

Hi Everyone,

LvwmCSQ.jpg
So I take it the games are still gone?

So let me get the order straight they went. Account is suspicious due to high coin count, foul play is assumed. You show proof otherwise but get banned anyway.

Sounds like a miscommunication of the ban going through as the person handling the proof was a different person to who issued the ban.

Quick question. Can you buy digital rewards multiple times? I'm still struggling to work out how you will spend all those coins before they expire if you can not.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
They actually expire in a few years.
The initial registration period must last a lot longer than the survey period, I guess.

How do you get that in your to-do list, anyway? Just punch in a code and then do nothing else, leaving the rest for later?

Veitsev

I thought you had 12k coins? Why is at 6k now? Did they take away the coins on your other accounts and delete them or do you still have those?

The initial registration period must last a lot longer than the survey period, I guess.

How do you get that in your to-do list, anyway? Just punch in a code and then do nothing else, leaving the rest for later?

It is the Intend to Buy survey. So you just do one for a game you eventually want to buy and you will get the bonus coins when you do actually buy it. For example, I did the Tomodachi Life Intend to Buy survey, and it expires on June 6, 2019, so you get 5 years.

Sealtest

So this entire misunderstanding was about selling the items TTH?
Wanna make sure because I have About 4 luigi's mansions 2 redeem sometime this year because of my mom/dad/sister and nephew and wanna make sure this doens't happen.

donny2112

Hi Everyone,

LvwmCSQ.jpg

Congrats! Looks like they took out the sub-accounts, but at least your main account is in place. :)

What took you so long to buy Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies?
:p

GoaThief

I thought you had 12k coins? Why is at 6k now? Did they take away the coins on your other accounts and delete them or do you still have those?
Indeed, things still don't add up.

Much like his OP I don't believe we're getting the full story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom