• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Land removed from the eShop

Rocky

Banned
Most people are assholes. It's one of the best games of 2012 and I will never stand idly and watch it being mocked.

Gee, I'm sorry a lot of people don't like the game that the company you worship made, but that's no reason to start calling people stuff like assholes.

wrowa

I'm not following this or reading this right somehow. You cannot redownload a game that you purchased? How is this possible? Games get delisted from purchase on Steam from time to time but you can redownload them forever. Was it a free game? I could definitely understand if that's the case.

You can redownload a game that you purchased even if it gets delisted for whatever reason. Normally, that is. All games that ever went offline on Nintendo's shops are still available to redownload for the ones who bought the titles before.

The one and only exception is Yoshi's Cookie. Why you can't redownload that specific title is unknown and a complete mystery. The most plausible assumption is that it's the victim of some weird licensing issues.

However, stuff like that can happen with 20 year old games that were created in a time long before people even thought about the possibility of distributing games online. You can be certain that Wii U or 3DS games on the eShop are protected from weird shit like that.

Tybolt

Banned
Yeah this is what I was talking about. I was asking if Yoshi's Cookie was free or not. If it was a game that you had to pay for and they removed it from being able to be redownloaded then that is downright theft.

Yoshi's Cookie wasn't free. It was an NES VC title, so I think it was $5, the normal going rate for those games.

Dantis

It wasn't very good. Should have been a free pack-in with all consoles, or maybe installed on the systems.

Certainly wasn't worth a purchase, in my opinion. I've still barely touched my copy.

Strange really.

Nintendo has been making lot's of different bundles, Nintendo Land makes too much sense to not be given away with every Wii U purchase. Wonder why they have cold feet regarding the game now.

I don't know how anybody who's put in any multiplayer time on Nintendoland could think it was bad. It's the best party game I've had since like SNES Bomber Man.

You can redownload a game that you purchased even if it gets delisted for whatever reason. Normally, that is. All games that ever went offline on Nintendo's shops are still available to redownload for the ones who bought the titles before.

The one and only exception is Yoshi's Cookie. Why you can't redownload that specific title is unknown and a complete mystery. The most plausible assumption is that it's the victim of some weird licensing issues.

However, stuff like that can happen with 20 year old games that were created in a time long before people even thought about the possibility of distributing games online. You can be certain that Wii U or 3DS games on the eShop are protected from weird shit like that.

Licensing issues is not a valid excuse. Steam has run into the same problem with a few game before as well and they have never blocked people from being able to redownload the games. Not a single one.

Nintendo needs to refund everyones money if there is no solution coming for this issue. Otherwise it's straight up theft.

This is one of the reasons that I would never buy a game digitally on a console.

Davey Cakes

I don't know how anybody who's put in any multiplayer time on Nintendoland could think it was bad. It's the best party game I've had since like SNES Bomber Man.
Nintendo Land needed more content in the competitive games (Mario Chase, Luigi Ghost Mansion, Animal Crossing). It also needed more multiplayer focus in general, in my opinion. Though I'm happy for the single-player-only folk that enjoyed how much of the game's content was aimed at them.

All that said, Nintendo Land is really a fantastic package. Under-loved and underrated. The multiplayer alone sustained plenty of social gatherings for me.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games

It was pretty good, but I found the game a little too skill-based to be good as a party game. Playing it with people unfamiliar with the game is entirely too difficult and they invariably will lose over and over. I find that for gamers this makes them get mad at things like the motion controls and the asymmetrical gameplay as if those things are causing the loss. For non-gamers it has often meant that they get mad about having to move their character around in Mario Chase, Luigi's Mansion, or Animal Crossing.

As much as I enjoyed Nintendo Land, after spending a long time with it, it just isn't the game that it needs to be. Ultimately, it's actually for a very small group of gamers when it tries to be for everyone. I find that instead of selling Nintendo's franchises to people unfamiliar with them, it mostly just turns them off from them completely.

But maybe that's just my experience with the game. We rarely play it anymore because some people always win and the rest can't get on the scoreboard to save their lives...

Tybolt

Banned
Strange really.

Nintendo has been making lot's of different bundles, Nintendo Land makes too much sense to not be given away with every Wii U purchase. Wonder why they have cold feet regarding the game now.

I assume if they're chopping it up like WiI Sports Club like some people have assumed, they're probably going to take it down early to avoid complaints and for maximum ass-coverage, as is par for the course for Ninty.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I wouldn't be certain of that for a second. It's in Nintendo's best interest to try to resell us the same games as many times as possible.
By openly sabotaging their userbase?

Tybolt

Banned
By openly sabotaging their userbase?

To be honest, I greatly misread the original post I replied to and decided to reply to another post instead in its place.

However! Given Nintendo's behavior with the VC and their gross overvaluing of their back catalog and legacy titles, coupled with the lack of true account system, it seems pretty clear that maximizing profits and forcing rebuys is what they're all about. I don't think Nintendo ever had a stance where it showed that it tried to "care" for the consumer, and instead just wants to fleece for as much as possible.

I think their strategy is working too. How many people have bought Super Mario Bros. and Zelda each time across each platform?

MoxManiac

Why aren't people up in arms about the yoshi cookie thing? Not being able to redownload after being delisted? That's crazy.

Tybolt

Banned
Why aren't people up in arms about the yoshi cookie thing? Not being able to redownload after being delisted? That's crazy.

I'd love to know what the sales are on VC titles, as my primary assumption is that if Nintendo never announced that it was getting pulled, nobody would even have known.

Yoshi's Cookie was pretty horrible, and coupled with the fact the Wii Shop ran on Nintendo Bucks and the Wii system memory was smaller than pretty much any flash drive ever, I don't think anyone bought it until after they realized it was going to be a "last chance" kind of deal.

The Boat

It wasn't very good. Should have been a free pack-in with all consoles, or maybe installed on the systems.

Certainly wasn't worth a purchase, in my opinion. I've still barely touched my copy.

The fact that you barely touched this video game certainly validates your opinion about this video game.

Great game, both for multi and single player. Needed more options and maps, it has its problems of course, but it's a fun, original, great looking and sounding game that can be enjoyed by people with different degrees of skill and one that made great use of the game pad at launch. Ridiculously underrated.

blu

To be honest, I greatly misread the original post I replied to and decided to reply to another post instead in its place.

However! Given Nintendo's behavior with the VC and their gross overvaluing of their back catalog and legacy titles, coupled with the lack of true account system, it seems pretty clear that maximizing profits and forcing rebuys is what they're all about. I don't think Nintendo ever had a stance where it showed that it tried to "care" for the consumer, and instead just wants to fleece for as much as possible.

I think their strategy is working too. How many people have bought Super Mario Bros. and Zelda each time across each platform?
I'm still not following you, so let me get this straight:

you think that nintendo would pull down titles from their electronic stores and bar re-downloads of already purchased titles with the purpose of causing their userbase to rebuy said titles?

Licensing issues is not a valid excuse. Steam has run into the same problem with a few game before as well and they have never blocked people from being able to redownload the games. Not a single one.

Nintendo needs to refund everyones money if there is no solution coming for this issue. Otherwise it's straight up theft.

This is one of the reasons that I would never buy a game digitally on a console.

That is not true. Order of War: Challenge was removed from the Steam store and no one who has purchased the game previously has been able to redownload or start it up since.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/11428/

Tybolt

Banned
I'm still not following you, so let me get this straight:

you think that nintendo would pull down titles from their electronic stores and bar re-downloads of already purchased titles with the purpose of causing their userbase to rebuy said titles?

Yes, at least in the case of games you can still buy normally.

I have no idea what the hell the deal is with the Yoshi's Cookie situation, but given Nintendo's poor behavior regarding digital game "ownership" (which, of course, is very clearly the implied "we're just letting you long-term borrow" in all of their EULA jargon) on the Wii U and 3DS, Nintendo would never create a situation where they'd be beholden to offer infinite redownloads of any game you've purchased until the end of time.

For non-gamers it has often meant that they get mad about having to move their character around in Mario Chase, Luigi's Mansion, or Animal Crossing.

Mario Chase is the most simple-ass game possible. You run around and use one button to do one thing that five year olds do (play tag). If somebody has a problem there, videogames are not the thing for them.

Dantis

The fact that you barely touched this video game certainly validates your opinion about this video game.

Great game, both for multi and single player. Needed more options and maps, it has its problems of course, but it's a fun, original, great looking and sounding game that can be enjoyed by people with different degrees of skill and one that made great use of the game pad at launch. Ridiculously underrated.

I played it enough to know that I didn't like it.

The Animal Crossing game was good fun for an hour or two in multiplayer, but that's it. A lot of the games didn't even need the Gamepad (That crappy F Zero game, for example), and other games were too similar.

I think it was a tough sell to people. It's little on... anything, really. Little content, little innovation. I think the art doesn't appeal to people and I think the games are too simplistic in both their gameplay and their presentation.

I can't imagine that Nintendo are actually dropping it from the eShop, but I think it wouldn't be too much of a crisis if they did.

maxcriden

The Animal Crossing game was good fun for an hour or two in multiplayer, but that's it. A lot of the games didn't even need the Gamepad (That crappy F Zero game, for example), and other games were too similar.

I think it was a tough sell to people. It's little on... anything, really. Little content, little innovation. I think the art doesn't appeal to people and I think the games are too simplistic in both their gameplay and their presentation.

I can't imagine that Nintendo are actually dropping it from the eShop, but I think it wouldn't be too much of a crisis if they did.

I don't agree at all. First, the F-Zero game does require the gamepad. Second, there is extensive content and innovation in the game. The Metroid, Zelda and Pikmin games alone are chock-full of content.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Mario Chase is the most simple-ass game possible. You run around and use one button to do one thing that five year olds do (play tag). If somebody has a problem there, videogames are not the thing for them.

Yeah, but that's what I am talking about. I am talking about non-gamers. People who are not used to controlling a character on screen. For them, using the d-pad to move your character around in Mario Chase is just a completely defeating experience. Those are the same people who Nintendo thought would want to play this game because of its colorful graphics and everyone appeal. I guess I am mainly comparing this game to Wii Sports which could be played for hours by people completely unfamiliar to games in general. Nintendo Land just doesn't have that ease of play, and is not nearly as accessible as you think it is. The number of people I have seen struggle with basically every minigame in there is staggering.

The Boat

I disagree completely, but hey, opinions. Saying that a lot of games didn' need the gamepad and that it's not innovative is flat out false though.

Yeah, but that's what I am talking about. I am talking about non-gamers. People who are not used to controlling a character on screen. For them, using the d-pad to move your character around in Mario Chase is just a completely defeating experience. Those are the same people who Nintendo thought would want to play this game because of its colorful graphics and everyone appeal. I guess I am mainly comparing this game to Wii Sports which could be played for hours by people completely unfamiliar to games in general. Nintendo Land just doesn't have that ease of play, and is not nearly as accessible as you think it is. The number of people I have seen struggle with basically every minigame in there is staggering.

I've played Nintendo Land with several non-gamers and none of them had a problem. Of course it's not as accessible as Wii Sports, but it's still a very accessible game.

RaidenZR

It is incredibly simple conceptually, but average people with little-to-no gaming literacy struggle with moving 3D characters in a fully 3D space. I've worked on games for over ten years now and this has always been a constant. Always.

blu

Yes, at least in the case of games you can still buy normally.

I have no idea what the hell the deal is with the Yoshi's Cookie situation, but given Nintendo's poor behavior regarding digital game "ownership" (which, of course, is very clearly the implied "we're just letting you long-term borrow" in all of their EULA jargon) on the Wii U and 3DS, Nintendo would never create a situation where they'd be beholden to offer infinite redownloads of any game you've purchased until the end of time.
So basically:
1. you have no idea why Yoshi's Cookie was removed.
2. you think nintendo would strip you of ownership even when they have said ownership on record, or you presented them with evidences of ownership.
3. a bog-standard software EULA used in the same form by software vendors across the globe

all reveal nintendo would purposefully cause their userbase to rebuy the same products again and again on the same platform? Ok.

I detected someone saying shit about Takamaru's Ninja Castle. I have now locked-on to the source.

I'll be honest and say I forgot that minigame was there. I don't own the game, only borrowed a Wii U from my friend and played it with him :p

Everything else was pretty meh for one person though.

Sendou

Gee, I'm sorry a lot of people don't like the game that the company you worship made, but that's no reason to start calling people stuff like assholes.

There's no reason to feel offended unless you truly feel like you are an asshole.

Seriously though I never said you were an asshole if you didn't like Nintendo Land. I simply stated that most people can be categorized as such and you should form your own opinion before shooting a game down like that. Relax, I hardly was serious but apparently it wasn't well conveyed from the text.

Terrell

This just happened. Any journalist, no matter what field, should take their time and investigate a story. Posting a story that says "we are waiting for clarification" just leads to commenters speculating.

From what I read earlier in the thread, it didn't "just happen", the OP just recently noticed it and made the thread. It's been at least 3 days that it's been like that before the OP made a thread here, and possibly as long as 2 weeks.
So don't try and excuse the lack of journalism being done on this by the games industry media.
Journalists in any other entertainment field would have written the story, gotten their PR response within 2 hours and found at least 1 outside source to talk to within the day.

Probably because it's YOSHI'S COOKIE? Just throwing that out there.

Glass Joe

From what I read earlier in the thread, it didn't "just happen", the OP just recently noticed it and made the thread. It's been at least 3 days that it's been like that before the OP made a thread here, and possibly as long as 2 weeks.

Nintendo Land has been de-listed since November 1st. I remember making a comment on the thread about the original PR release of Nintendo Land becoming $29.99 MSRP and wondering why it had not been reflected in the shop but taken off entirely.

Probably because it's YOSHI'S COOKIE? Just throwing that out there.

How much of the Yoshi's Cookie situation is just mock outrage? Is there really anyone out there that this has happened to that Nintendo hasn't taken care of? When I got my U back from repairs, there was a glitch that made me have to DL all my Wii-mode eShop stuff again. A few games were delisted and they just let me choose other titles to replace them.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I'm not following this or reading this right somehow. You cannot redownload a game that you purchased? How is this possible? Games get delisted from purchase on Steam from time to time but you can redownload them forever. Was it a free game? I could definitely understand if that's the case.

You can redownload your games

L~A

This is a very odd case... I mean, all the other games pulled from the eShop had a message warning people about its removal. This time, not only did we NOT get any message, but also, a PR explicily mentions the game on the eShop.

Really strange.

Really strange, maybe they will start charging for each attraction?
nintendo noticed the sales for wii sports tennis and bowling.
so they removed nintendo land from the e shop. My guess is that the hub world will be re-introduced for free, and that they will start charging for each attraction, maybe even adding online just like tennis and bowling.
those that have already purchased the game will pay a small amount for the updated online modes.

The best thing would be to make the game a free title, and charge a small fee for updated online modes.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I think they are trying to get rid off retail copies sleeping on the shelves. cut the price was the first step, removing it from the eshop the second.

MIlky1985

Banned

Nintendo needs to refund everyone's money if there is no solution coming for this issue. Otherwise it's straight up theft.

Its happened before on the 360 as well, so MS are also guilty of "straight up theft" according to this. I got the double dragon game (not the good remake, the hd version of the original game) .

For unknown reasons that got dropped a while ago and if I attempt to add it to my download queue it errored, no idea what happened to it. Think even in the queue its just listed as game or something, not even as its name.

Game was crap but the same thing happened and I think no-one knew what happened with that one as well.

L~A

I think they are trying to get rid off retail copies sleeping on the shelves. cut the price was the first step, removing it from the eshop the second.

What? The % of people buying retail games on the eShop is way too negligible for that to be possible. And if that was the case, why would Nintendo mention a price drop in their PR? It's certainly not a mistake (that mention), so who knows.

But it'd be great if Nintendo just explained that removal (message on the eShop or something)!

What? The % of people buying retail games on the eShop is way too negligible for that to be possible. And if that was the case, why would Nintendo mention a price drop in their PR? It's certainly not a mistake (that mention), so who knows.

But it'd be great if Nintendo just explained that removal (message on the eShop or something)!
Has anyone straight up asked Nintendo why it's been removed?

Has anyone straight up asked Nintendo why it's been removed?

I think I remember someone emailing them and the person that responded was confused as well as to why the game is off the eshop, but then they asked their superior as to if it was an error or not and the response was that it was intentional, but no explanation for why.

Top Bottom