• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo needs to do something about AFK in splatoon 2

Oreoleo

Blame the Switch's poor internet adapter.

Agreed. It's the elephant in the room no one seems to be talking about. There was a stink about the poor wifi at launch but it's been going mostly unacknowledged post-Splatoon as far as I can see. Everyone is quick to blame the players but it's not that simple.

Makonero

I had lots of connection issues with the original Splatoon, so I invested in a LAN connector for the Switch specifically for this game. Not a single dropped connection thus far.

No one is AFKing when they have 0 points at the end of a match, that means they disconnected. If they have sub 100 pointa, then maybe they were AFK for most of the round. Its pretty common, happened in the first game some too but it seems worse this time around, likely because its launch and they are still ironing things out.

DigiDom

I've had way too many people AFS on my team lately. I've played the game using a mobile hot spot and a wired connection and I've not had a single DC. I think it might be down to signal strength issues on the wifi that is causing some peoples connect to drop below a certain threshold. They really need to have a way for people to rejoin when it happens.

I think that Nintendo has a problem, I sit with a 500mb line and I have never encountered a ptoblem on my PS4. But in Splatoon I have a disconnected 8 times during the weekend. Lets hope they'll fix it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Loaded up Splatoon 1 as sequel hype got me curious to revisit and I don't own a Switch.

30m later I turned the game off in disgust. Of the 10-12 attempted matches, all but 2 didn't give me DC errors. Can usually play about ten seconds before I got the dreaded "connection is not stable" or whatever message flashing on screen and it boots me back to menu.

I switched over to FFXIV, an always online MMO, and had no issues as I never do. My internet isn't to blame.

Maybe servers are hammered with the sequel popularity? Same data centers as Splatoon 1 that are on fire? It's a bit uncanny and even at launch, Splatoon 1 never gave these problems.

RexFury

Yeah people going afk is pretty annoying but it did work out for me yesterday in ranked mode. I was close to ranking up but went and lost 5 ranked matches in a row. The next round they only had three players and I managed to pretty much win by myself. I won by myself in the next match as well and when I ranked up I skipped a rank, I just went straight to C- from C-.

Still, it is an issue which is quite easy to fix. Just let people leave during matchmaking and I bet that solves a majority of the issue.

Edit* ah right seems a lot of people are getting disconnected. It has only happened to me once I believe.

Cepheus

The AFK problem wouldn't be so much of a problem if you had more than four people on each team. It's not like TF2 where you can still win with a few AFK people on your team. If one person is AFK in Splatoon, you are going to lose and you can't do anything about it. The game could REALLY do with a few modes where there are more than four people on each team.

Kanhir

If someone goes afk, I think that they should be replaced by someone who's waiting in a half-empty lobby. At least then you'd get to finish the match fairly.

Edit: I mean AFK during a match, not in a lobby. For lobby AFK, maybe there should be a final confirmation from everyone before the match starts, like in local.

Nydius

Maybe servers are hammered with the sequel popularity? Same data centers as Splatoon 1 that are on fire? It's a bit uncanny and even at launch, Splatoon 1 never gave these problems.

If this is the case, I'm envious. Because I remember the first week of Splatoon 1's launch was, for me, nothing but frustration with "A Connection Error has Occurred". Even after it the initial burst of popularity died down, connection errors and lag were regular occurrences, especially in non-Splatfest Turf War since it was a truly global matchmaking lobby.

Conversely, my PS4 when on WiFi, which sits directly beside my Switch (both of which sit on the same counter as my WiFi router) is solid as a rock but the Wii U (and now Switch) constantly had connection and lag problems on Splatoon and MK8.

I tend to agree with RedToad - I just don't think Nintendo has invested in good WiFi adapters on any of their platforms. I might take a page from Makonero's playbook and get a USB LAN adapter for my Switch. Though that will only help while docked.

Xiofire

I agree, this is infuriating while playing.
Not sure what Nintendo can do other then give people a 15 minute blanket ban for DC's, regardless of circumstance. But that seems harsh if it's a genuine connection issue and too harsh for regular play. Maybe just for ranked battles?

I wish they'd address other things with Splat2n first though, like why can't I change weapon type mid-game to counter an enemies offensive strategy? Why during matchmaking do I need to fully back out to change my clothes/weapon choice? It really bogs down the experience having to shuffle menus and fully leave matchmaking to do stuff even CoD4 had in 2007.

I've definitely seen a lot of disconnects, though I have never disconnected myself. Also, I've never had any noticeable lag in a match at all. I wonder if Nintendo is being aggressive about kicking out people with bad connections. Not sure if it's for the better or not.

Chauzu

I know ARMS kicks you from a lobby pretty fast if you haven't used your controller for a not too long period of time, so if it works the same in Splatoon 2 I can easily see someone having to go afk a bit and getting dc'd from a game. (It would make more sense to dc between games imo...)

Izayoi

Banned
The game doesn't replace disconnected players? Seriously, Nintendo?
The matches are too short for join in progress, really. If someone DCs halfway through a match (which only last three minutes), even if it found someone instantly, the match would be almost over anyway.

I imagine it being frustrating to everyone involved.

Agreed. It's the elephant in the room no one seems to be talking about. There was a stink about the poor wifi at launch but it's been going mostly unacknowledged post-Splatoon as far as I can see. Everyone is quick to blame the players but it's not that simple.
Or maybe it affects only a few, and the rest can play just fine without constant dcs? Just a thought.

Wireless connections can be a bitch and a hundred things can go wrong depending on your setup, wireless interference in apartment blocks etc.
No one is AFKing when they have 0 points at the end of a match, that means they disconnected. If they have sub 100 pointa, then maybe they were AFK for most of the round. Its pretty common, happened in the first game some too but it seems worse this time around, likely because its launch and they are still ironing things out.
You get kicked after more than 60 seconds of idle (absolutely no controller input)

Teppic

I'm not surprised by all the disconnects. The wifi on Switch is really bad.

Even if it works for you you'll still be affected in games like Splatoon where teamwork is important.

SS4Ricky

Neo Member
Fix your shit.
Yeah I don't wanna turn this thread into a "my internet's great, it can't be me" but I get disconnected from this game like once every 4 matches and my internet is effin' great. Like this is 100% Splatoon 2 and some janky shit going on. No problems with Mario kart or any other online game I play. Just Splatoon 2. Figured opening weekend there would be a lot of traffic but for it to keep going on now is unacceptable. Sorry to whoever plays with me online but blame Nintendo, lol.

Chauzu

Even if it works for you you'll still be affected in games like Splatoon where teamwork is important.

How bad was the wifi on Wii U then? I remember having connection issues and lag with every single Wii U game. On Switch I can count them on one hand.

faridmon

oh Man, didn't know that a person can be reported through the App.

Nintendo really wants me to download that

Eh? I never had any problems and my Connection is really bad and its especially that because my room is far away from the Router

CO_Andy

I've had zero connection issues with the Switch since switching over to 5 GHz wifi

Using the 2.4 GHz connection however was very spotty and a huge step down from the Wii U's 2.4 GHz

I've had several connection error disconnects or the connection is unstable disconnects. My internet is shit, so I have to sit in the same room as my router to get anything like a decent connection.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I've disconnected an ungodly amount of times so I'm probably one of the people that is annoying you right now. I stand by my internet provider since no other game gives me problems other than Splatoon 2 right now.

I've been 5 minute temp banned a few times too which is like salt in the wound. I apologize for trying to play my game.

I know this will sound dumb, but have you restarted your system? Switch's wifi was garbage for me and a lot of others. As someone who always puts their Switch in Sleep mode, restarting helped.

Zemm

I agree, this is infuriating while playing.
Not sure what Nintendo can do other then give people a 15 minute blanket ban for DC's, regardless of circumstance. But that seems harsh if it's a genuine connection issue and too harsh for regular play. Maybe just for ranked battles?

Yeah that's way too harsh when the issue for most of these DC's will be the Switches terrible WiFi chip.

I see around half my matches has had someone DC from one of the sides, it's pretty ridiculous. The only reason I feel like it hasn't happened to me is because I play docked and with an Ethernet cable but I know I'm in a very small minority with that setup and most are going to be on WiFi.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I apparently got disconnected on my last match during the weekend (can't remember it, to be honest), and when I entered Turf War last night I was greeted with a mafia-like message calling my actions suspicious, and threatening to ban me if it happened again. Why is Nintendo such a bully? That's no way to treat a squid in training.

I've only played the first game and am curious if the following has changed. If a player disconnects and the lobby is not full, they are removed from the lobby (in any case I've seen the lobbies get smaller). If a player disconnects before the match has started on the pan-out of the spawn point you see the disconnected players instantly die before the match begins and the map shows their death point as the spawn point (these matches usually take a while to load). If they disconnect during a match they instantly die and death point is also the spawn point (which otherwise makes no sense due to the barrier surrounding it).

I'm one of the afk'ers and it ain't my shit. I've tried to play at least 10 matches tonight and I've only completed two. All the rest of them I'm been disconnected. Immediately when the "Connection is Unstable" message pops up, I hit the home button and I usually have 2 bars. Just tonight after these baffling disconnects I went and played both MK8 and ARMS. Both ran perfectly online for me.

Nintendo needs to do something about Splatoon 2.
+
If this is the case, I'm envious. Because I remember the first week of Splatoon 1's launch was, for me, nothing but frustration with "A Connection Error has Occurred". Even after it the initial burst of popularity died down, connection errors and lag were regular occurrences, especially in non-Splatfest Turf War since it was a truly global matchmaking lobby.
The first splatoon did initially have problems of ink and players sometimes being very laggy. I'm talking ink not updating for 10 seconds, being able to unload of whole tank into an enemy and them not being splatted, taking cover and spontaneously dying from a corpse.

They released an update that fixed that at the cost of stricter bandwidth requirements which kicked me out of the game as my internet at the time was not good enough. I'm fine with that. What I was not fine with was Nintendo having no useful information regarding this for several months (not even in their fairly extensive update notes for the game) and never providing a simple stress test.

I'm guessing the same is true here and this makes me wonder if Splatoon 2 upped the tickrate* (a few testfire users were critical of the tickrate being 15). Though splatoon tracking more than your average fps due to the ink probably causes problems too.

That basically gets down to why a 1 on 1 fighting game can work as can a 12 player racer (if you ignore occasional gremlins like teleporting cars and players taking time to react from shells hitting them) while an 8 player shooter crashes and burns.

*-The amount of times the game gets info from the server. Splatoon 1 was 30 (there were some issues seen with this). Overwatch used to be 20 but it is now 60 (which most fps are).

SilentRob

Yeah...like allowing me to cancel Matchmaking? After you clicked on "Search Game" or "Continue" there is no way for you just to quit the search if someone happens to ring the doorbell or ANYTHING else happens. So you just have to ride it out.

woopWOOP

Being stuck on a team with an AFKer sucks because you're just waiting for the match to be over. There's no way to win and when you lose you'll only lose like 1 point in ranked anyway.

I don't have 2 yet, but I'm playing a bit of Splatoon 1 now again and I'm running into the exact problems :p

I didn't know Splatoon 2 has a report function tho. Hope it doesn't get abused... and I hope my few, ocassional disconnects don't get me temp bans in the future, lol

gogogow

Yeah...like allowing me to cancel Matchmaking? After you clicked on "Search Game" or "Continue" there is no way for you just to quit the search if someone happens to ring the doorbell or ANYTHING else happens. So you just have to ride it out.

I don't understand why Nintendo doesn't let you cancel and get out of matchmaking. Sometimes, not often though, i'm waiting for way too long and we just doesn't have enough people to start a match. Let me get out and find another match.

Also why aren't we allowed to change our equipment during matchmaking?

And for the love of God, please let us skip the intro!!!!!!!!!!!! Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A list of the modes and maps would've been enough, but noooooooooooooooo, make it mandatory to watch from start to finish. At least let us press + and let us skip it.

Or maybe it affects only a few, and the rest can play just fine without constant dcs? Just a thought.

Wireless connections can be a bitch and a hundred things can go wrong depending on your setup, wireless interference in apartment blocks etc.

Please tell me your joking? PS4 manages wireless just fine but Nintendo as usual uses cheap infastructure/parts and all of a sudden "well futuristic technology is hard".Seriously if you meant that then Nintendo should gtfo out of making consoles so consumers dont have to sound as ridiculous as Kellyanne Conway defending Trumps bs.

Not a single drop in wireless and I even have my PS4 and /or Xbox one turned on at the same time (Netflix or YouTube)
There is definitely something going on, maybe, like someone said, they are more strict with internet stability? Is dumb but maybe
Oh and I always play in portable mode

ozfunghi

I was an AFK player yesterday.

My doorbell rang, so I had to go answer it. When I returned, I was met by a connection-error (although I was likely kicked for not moving).

This behaviour was supposedly "preeetty suspicious" according to Nintendo.

Well... it depends. Who was ringing your doorbell?

patientx

I have played motor then 100 matches maybe 200+ and only had 1 DC which was when my battery died. I use wireless and modem is not near me, infact I mostly play handheld at home and wander around the house while playing.

However, I definately saw lots of 3 player on the 2nd or 3rd wave salmon runs and lots of 0 point players on either team. My wireless is not 5ghz also.

giapel

How long it takes when actually being AFK for the game to boot you?
If nobody connects in your place, then there's no really benefit in kicking you out if say, you missed the start of the game because you were doing something else. Is that what's generally happening?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
How bad was the wifi on Wii U then? I remember having connection issues and lag with every single Wii U game. On Switch I can count them on one hand.

From my personal experience the Switch is the only console that's given me problems with online connections. Thankfully Splatoon 2 has been good after the Splatfests, but even the initial required update was disgracefully slow until I stood right next to my router. I never experienced an issue with online anything on Wii U. Splatoon worked flawlessly.

Chauzu

From my personal experience the Switch is the only console that's given me problems with online connections. Thankfully Splatoon 2 has been good after the Splatfests, but even the initial required update was disgracefully slow until I stood right next to my router. I never experienced an issue with online anything on Wii U. Splatoon worked flawlessly.

That's very interesting! Basically complete opposite experiences.

Top Bottom