• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo needs to do something about AFK in splatoon 2

When these are the wifi speeds my sister is getting when docked 10 feet from her router, I'm not gonna blame anyone but Nintendo for disconnects:

I'm 2 floors away from my router and getting 14.6Mbps down and 6.3Mbps up. And I have a normal FIOS router which is connected to probably 10 other devices (at least) in the house.

This is a problem with your/her particular Switch. I'd think about sending it into Nintendo for repairs, or possibly messing with your router settings first.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I was an AFK player yesterday.

My doorbell rang, so I had to go answer it. When I returned, I was met by a connection-error (although I was likely kicked for not moving).

This behaviour was supposedly "preeetty suspicious" according to Nintendo.

I was "away from keyboard" in Splatoon 1 as my mother wanted me to help her, so I just parked my Inkling in a corner and when I returned he was still there in the same spot and my team still kept the lead and won.

Go team. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

KiKaL

For the console players who don't like AFK meaning "Away From Keyboard"...it is also used to be known as "A Free Kill".

I'm 2 floors away from my router and getting 14.6Mbps down and 6.3Mbps up. And I have a normal FIOS router which is connected to probably 10 other devices (at least) in the house.

This is a problem with your/her particular Switch. I'd think about sending it into Nintendo for repairs, or possibly messing with your router settings first.

I believe it's an issue with the Switch. My speeds are fine at my apartment when I'm playing. (I mean, "fine". Switch wifi is pretty bad even when it's good.)

Also my brother and I never have problems with disconnects at our parent's house but she was getting disconnected constantly when all three of us were playing there.

Problem is that after multiple calls explaining all this, Nintendo won't take hers in for repairs. *shrug* I suggested she should, for some reason, give Nintendo more money and get an ethernet adapter. Maybe that will help.

Jebusman

Banned
I suggested she should, for some reason, give Nintendo more money and get an ethernet adapter. Maybe that will help.

It doesn't have to be a Nintendo one. As long as it was Wii or WiiU compatible, most USB Ethernet adapters would work.

Could probably find some on Amazon for like $10 if needed. I'm just using some generic TPLink usb to 10/100 adapter, works like a charm.

Geg

Most people who disconnect from matches don't do it on purpose, in my experience actual griefers will stick around the whole game. Though ragequitters still exist obvoiusly

I know in Splatoon they added in a system where you'll lose fewer points in ranked if a member of your team disconnects, but I have no idea how Splatoon 2 handles it

Jazzem

Yeah I really wish they'd introduce bots to Splatoon, I guess the required AI for them would be incredibly resource consuming due to the complexity they'd need? Whatever they'd put in would be better than an guaranteed loss for the lower-numbered team...

PMS341

Thought this was just me, but wow. Happened a few games yesterday.

And sometimes the player isn't exactly "idle", but they clearly were done playing, so they just hang out around spawn walking or something.

I believe it's an issue with the Switch. My speeds are fine at my apartment when I'm playing. (I mean, "fine". Switch wifi is pretty bad even when it's good.)

Also my brother and I never have problems with disconnects at our parent's house but she was getting disconnected constantly when all three of us were playing there.

Problem is that after multiple calls explaining all this, Nintendo won't take hers in for repairs. *shrug* I suggested she should, for some reason, give Nintendo more money and get an ethernet adapter. Maybe that will help.

Right, it's definitely a hardware problem but it's clearly not a problem that affects every (or possibly even all that many) Switches. That's weird that they won't take it for repairs though, I thought I've heard people do that for bad wifi connections...

I wonder what the cause of it is. Just a faulty wifi chip?

Geg

Right, it's definitely a hardware problem but it's clearly not a problem that affects every (or possibly even all that many) Switches. That's weird that they won't take it for repairs though, I thought I've heard people do that for bad wifi connections...

I wonder what the cause of it is. Just a faulty wifi chip?

I'd heard that some people who had problems with wifi at launch reported that it improved after one of the switch firmware updates. I guess people are still having similar problems even after that?

To find out if it is hardware specific you need to two people with systems. One who is affected and one is not. Try to use their system in the household experiencing the opposite.

My Nintendo Switch battery died last night while I was in the middle of the match. I hope I wasn't reported :(
You'll start the game up and the Splatoon equivalent of Mr.Resetti appears on screen and rants at you about your suspicious disappearance mid match and not to do it again and then threatens you.

Could probably find some on Amazon for like $10 if needed. I'm just using some generic TPLink usb to 10/100 adapter, works like a charm.
But what if I'm more of an OOTLink guy?
Sorry that brand always puts a smile on my face.

atr0cious

The only thing worse than AFK or a dropped teammate, is finding out the 0 points player isn't a disconnect, but an active player, and they're on your team again.

whilst I agree just going to the switch's OS menu can disconnect you, I discovered this, thankfully whilst shopping and not in a match, which when I came back had a message saying I'd lost connection! I only went to the os menu as I got a friend request

I'd totally hope that issue itself is sorted, but if not for some Nintendo reason, then it would be unfair to ban people who loose connection for simply checking the menu/notifications/friends list whilst waiting for a match to start

whilst I agree just going to the switch's OS menu can disconnect you, I discovered this, thankfully whilst shopping and not in a match, which when I came back had a message saying I'd lost connection! I only went to the os menu as I got a friend request

I'd totally hope that issue itself is sorted, but if not for some Nintendo reason, then it would be unfair to ban people who loose connection for simply checking the menu/notifications/friends list whilst waiting for a match to start

Doesn't the game block the home button from working when you're in a lobby or a match?

NDPsycho

I'd like to know how many other people have issues with this game. I had no issues with the first Splatoon nor with any of the other games I play right now so I'm blaming them 100% I am not culpable the glove does not fit!

Whenever someone has 0 points I feel for them as a fellow brother in arms against the splatoon server menace.

Same shit happens to me rather frequently. I've gotten two warnings so far, no bans, but it is irtitating. I can play MK8 and Arms all night with no drops, but Splatoon 2 drops me all the time. I even picked up a wired adapter as the switch has a jank wifi chip by some reports. Same thing happens.

gaiages

Banned
It's with Salmon Run that it really screws you.

Yeah... I lost a bunch of matches in a row because my team had at least 1 (one time 2!) dropouts, it wrecked all my rank progress. It's pretty infuriating that the point penalties don't seem to take that into account... makes it so I don't really want to play Freelance at all anymore.

It's probably been said already but the issue isn't drop outs, every online game has them, it's the fact that Nintendo doesn't backfill the empty slot(s).

There's probably tons of people queued that wouldn't mind joining an in progress game as long as it doesn't count as a loss.

Schnozberry

If people are having serious Wifi issues with their switch, they should send it in because it's not the expected experience.

I have played 100 matches or so since launch, and I have yet to experience a disconnect other than the first night when Nintendo was clearly have network problems with the shop being overwhelmed. I am wired when docked and wifi undocked, and I've yet to see an issue with either.

I have friends who live a bit more rural than I do that have had some lag issues, but theirs seem related to their underwhelming DSL connection.

Kurt

The only thing which i dont like at all with splatoon is the intro updates that you cant skip. I dont care about the current status of stages. They should make this as a optional thing to view. Its a wast of time.

What i'm hoping for (updates)
- splitscreen 1 vs 1
- salamon run (you know what)

WhatNXt

The only thing which i dont like at all with splatoon is the intro updates that you cant skip. I dont care about the current status of stages. They should make this as a optional thing to view. Its a wast of time.

It's better than the first game in that regard. The first game used to show you the squid sisters every time the stages updated - Splatoon 2 just shows you a very quick message to say they've been updated and throws you back to Inkopolis Sq. It's only that first time you start the game you have to sit through it. I like seeing the characters now and then but yeah, it would be nice if they made it an optional setting.

Izayoi

Banned
I've been playing on a shit Wi-Fi connection and I have yet to experience any disconnect issues.

Some lag, but surprisingly little from what I was expecting, honestly.

I have had AFK folks and DCs happen on my team. Good to know you can report AFKers via the app. Gives me a reason to download it.

Other games do it, the difference is a Splatoon Turf War match is only 3 minutes. Ranked modes can be longer but they can also be even shorter. Joining a game with like a minute left would kinda suck. It happens in Overwatch and those games last much longer.

That's why I'd rather them NOT do this. Imagine a match where a player drops, and the team is disadvantaged, then you join with like 1 minute left, oftentimes not enough to make a difference (especially in ranked) and then you're penalized for being dropped into a losing team. I'd be FUCKING LIVID

This happened all the time in the first game and it happens all the time here. Half of my matches are one-sided. Either my time destroys the other or the other team destroys us. It makes a large portion of the matches feel like a waste of time. They have to figure out some way to address this, 'cause it's getting real old, real fast. Bots, maybe?

One good thing on my end is I've only personally been disconnected once since launch. I was disconnected all the time in the first game.

jchap

I get "unstable connection" every 3 matches or so. It is super annoying. It wastes my exp food and keeps me from getting fresh quickly. I have never had an issue with other games. I've tried both 2.4 and 5 GHz and have issues with both.

I'm always surprised by you guys having such bad online experiences. I've played both games across 5 different routers/locations and have never had any issues

HeroR

I'm always surprised by you guys having such bad online experiences. I've played both games across 5 different routers/locations and have never had any issues

This has been my experience as well. Never had a problem with Switch Wifi since I haven't used an Ethernet Cable in years. The only time I had problem is during Splatfest.

That's why I'd rather them NOT do this. Imagine a match where a player drops, and the team is disadvantaged, then you join with like 1 minute left, oftentimes not enough to make a difference (especially in ranked) and then you're penalized for being dropped into a losing team. I'd be FUCKING LIVID

If a player drops in Ranked in Overwatch, they aren't replaced. Casual is like a constant rotation of players dropping and joining though.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Welcome to my world. Which is why I refuse to play unless I have other people with me.

Not just AFK, but companies should punish for leaving rampantly and doing stuff like spinning in circles and taunting the whole match.

Welcome to my world. Which is why I refuse to play unless I have other people with me.

Not just AFK, but companies should punish for leaving rampantly and doing stuff like spinning in circles and taunting the whole match.

It does punish you for disconnecting from matches and players can report you

Nintendo needs to deal with this fucking shit

splFJBr.jpg

Nintendo needs to allow players to exit to the lobby when they're searching for players.

Once they've done that, the reality becomes this:

Splatoon 2 matches last like three to five minutes.

If you can't bother to exit to lobby and spend more than a minute and a half AFK

then your ass should be booted

and if it happens more than once in an hour
your ass should be banned for an hour.

AFKs really do ruin this game and I don't wanna have to deal with losing because you couldn't be bothered with exiting the lobby before you walked away

muteki

I only just got to level 10 as I haven't had a ton of time, but I've so far just had to report 2 people. Maybe I have encountered more, and just haven't recognized it. What happens if you get reported? Anything?

Other than that, my online experience has been mostly smooth. Not being able to change loadouts and back out of lobbies if I get interrupted are my main complaints, but I try to only do multiplayer when I'm certain I'll have a block of time uninterrupted.

I wanted to wait until I finished Hero Mode, so I haven't been playing Turf War all that much until today. Of the 30 matches my wife and I have played, 18 of 'em had a full 4x4 (60%), and 12 lost at least one player (40%). Two of those matches were 3x3, so at least it wasn't lopsided.

Only once in the 10 lopsided matches was the disadvantaged team able to pull out a victory. So, 90% of the time, the team with fewer players lost.

It's chronic enough an issue that Nintendo really needs to do something.

I'm one of the afk'ers and it ain't my shit. I've tried to play at least 10 matches tonight and I've only completed two. All the rest of them I'm been disconnected. Immediately when the "Connection is Unstable" message pops up, I hit the home button and I usually have 2 bars. Just tonight after these baffling disconnects I went and played both MK8 and ARMS. Both ran perfectly online for me.

Nintendo needs to do something about Splatoon 2.

I need to make an update on this post:

I guess it was my shit.

After getting extremely frustrated with the disconnects, I went out and bought a new dual-band router. And after connecting my Switch to the 5GHz band, I haven't had one "Connection is Unstable" disconnect.

I was so adamant that it wasn't on my end because AT&T literally just sent us a new modem/router. My Switch is the only device in the house it won't play nice with, and I really did have good Mario Kart and ARMS sessions while connected to it (until this morning, hence me deciding to just go buy a new router).

Anyways, my sincerest apologies to Mr. Kimishima and Mr. Nogami for my accusations. Now I'm going to play a lot more Splatoon.

The_Kid

It might not be intentional. I don't know what it is but unless I play Splatoon 2 in a specific corner of my room it disconnects every other match. I never have this with other games. I honestly don't know why it sucks so much.

sleepnaught

When these are the wifi speeds my sister is getting when docked 10 feet from her router, I'm not gonna blame anyone but Nintendo for disconnects:

With my Switch just inches away from my Gigabit router, I'm only getting 28 down. Switch WiFi is just plain pathetic. My phone from outside in my car gets 150-200 down and probably over a hundred feet away. Its enough to get the job done, but I'd seriously hate to have to go digital only with this kind of WiFi.

watershed

Banned
If this keeps happening to you it's probably something to do with your Internet set up. I've been playing Splatoon 2 with randoms a few hours almost every day and I've only had a handful of afk situations with teammates. I don't think there is a major issue with people leaving matches or rage quitting. Check your set up if this keeps happening to you.

Top Bottom