• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo needs to let Pikmin go.

TDLink

How are three games over the last 15 years or so a problem? It's a great budget franchise from them that honestly we don't get enough of. A Pikmin game being in development doesn't take away from an imaginary F-Zero or Metroid being in development. Also, unlike those games Pikmin truly is unique. Honestly I want all three series to get many more entries, but there's nothing wrong with Nintendo continuing to make and push Pikmin games. Especially considering there are so few of them to begin with.

guek

Banned
UbzayP2FNPWbm.gif

Dystify

Totally reasonable points, OP. Don't expect many reasonable replies, though.

What reasonable points? He states the series doesn't sell well, which in itself doesn't seem to be true. Pretty sure even Pikmin 3 reached a million units sold and also had DLC to make more money.

Pikmin even got into Smash. Bros and have an amiibo. I'm sure the series is profitable for Nintendo.

Kilvas

Pikmin is quality stuff and I only hope that we get more. Op is crazy.

I'd personally like to see something closer to Pikmin 2 for co-op, as Pikmin 3 is just way to tedious controlling 3 characters. If only we could get a Pikmin with the same amount of content that Mario gets. Maybe Pikmin 4 will we better.

Do we know that there are two Pikmin games in development right now like people are saying?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I absolutely want a proper Pikmin 4 to happen on Switch, but I'm a bit worried that the 3DS spinoff is indeed the game Miyamoto was talking about awhile back.

Boem

How are three games over the last 15 years or so a problem? It's a great budget franchise from them that honestly we don't get enough of. A Pikmin game being in development doesn't take away from an imaginary F-Zero or Metroid being in development. Also, unlike those games Pikmin truly is unique. Honestly I want all three series to get many more entries, but there's nothing wrong with Nintendo continuing to make and push Pikmin games. Especially considering there are so few of them to begin with.

*17 years.

Pikmin 1 came out in 2001.

Everyone is old now.

Totally reasonable points, OP. Don't expect many reasonable replies, though.
Which points were reasonable? I'm sure Nintendo wouldn't keep selling Pikmin merchandise on the scale they do if people didn't buy them, there's always a Pikmim plush in a Nintendo toy section and why wouldn't there be? Characters are adorable. Killing one of the most creative franchises doesn't make any sense especially when it's development doesn't hinder any other franchises. That and there have been only 3 games.

Do we know that there are two Pikmin games in development right now like people are saying?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I absolutely want a proper Pikmin 4 to happen on Switch, but I'm a bit worried that the 3DS spinoff is indeed the game Miyamoto was talking about awhile back.
We don't and I'm not sure why people are so adamant that they aren't the same thing

Servbot24

Banned
I don't understand why fans like to tell companies whether or not they have the budget to create game sequels. Don't you think the company would know that better than you?

Pikmin is one of the last remaining Nintendo franchises I care about.

Pikmin 3 was easily in the top 3 of the Wii U.

Why they're making a weird 3DS spin off game I don't know. That shit should stop as it can only serve to actually kill the franchise.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It's not like there is even the question that should be raised here. Do you want a Metroid game done by Miyamoto?

Alpha_eX

Sit down OP, this isn't stopping your Metroid and Nintendo have never tried to market it like Pokémon or set it on fire.

It's a unique franchise and all three games have been outstanding, the 3DS one does look incredibly disappointing but that shouldn't end the franchise.

Having spent most of this afternoon playing Bingo Battle mode and the Pikmin Nintendoland co-op game, I'm going to have to largely disagree. It's one of Nintendo's more unique titles and is great fun to play. Having said that, I'm not sure how many directions that they could take it in to keep it fresh.

Strider

3ds game looks trash but.... hell no to letting it go.

I want Pikmin 4 on switch... BAAAAAADLY. Pikmin 3 was fantastic

Hellll nooo. Pikmin 3 was one of the best games on the Wii U. An all around terrific game. I'll gladly take more Pikmin any day.

Granted, the 3DS platformer is an odd choice.. we'll have to wait and see more of it. That is if it's not cancelled.

giphy.gif

Have your filthy money OP.

I'd rather have pikmin 4.

Pikmin 3 was one of nintendo's best made games and will eventually be recognised as such, if it wasn't on the wii u more people would have realised just how good that game was.
Nintendo knows it has amazing franchise potential, pikmin3 was almost perfect, just needed a piklopedia to cement the world and all it's characters in place for newcomers and everyone else to read.
They almost had the perfect game in place but the wii u just wasn't popular enough, get pikmin 4 on switch early and get a piklopedia app on the switch as a free download, so players can record everything they find and keep a record of it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Pulled out again, we'll follow you alone.
Today once again we'll carry, fight, multiply and be consumed.
Left alone again, we'll meet again and be thrown around again.
But we'll follow you forever.

I guess it's time to play.
Maybe we'll go out quietly.
Ah..., ah... falling in love...
Under that sky...

On this planet, where so many life forms live,
Today once again we'll carry, fight, multiply and then be consumed.
Uprooted, we'll gather, and be thrown.
But we won't ask you to love us.

I guess it's time to play.
Maybe we'll try harder.
Ah..., ah... falling in love...
Under that sky...

We'll work together, fight, and be consumed,
But we'll follow you forever.
We'll fight, be silent, and follow you,
But we won't ask you to love us.

-shadow-

Miyamoto has confirmed to be working on a Pikmin project that's not the 3DS game. So we're getting two new Pikmin games hopefully soon.

They certainly have a lot to prove with Pikmin 4. Pikmin 3 was a huge regression from Pikmin 2.
But Pikmin 2 was half terrible. Those caves were a terrible decision.

No way, man. Pikmin is one of Nintendo's best mid-tier series. The games are consistently great and they sell consistently too. 1 and 2 broke a million on GameCube, and 3 is most likely a bit under a million too. Maybe that's not lighting the charts on fire but that's a lot better than a lot of other series can put to their name.

Sure I wish we were getting a proper console Pikmin game instead of the 3DS game (though I am curious to see how they translate it to 2D), why would any person, as a game fan, willingly want fewer games and less variety on the landscape? It's like asking Nintendo to stop making Kirby games.

And anyone who'd want that is a Monster.

Plum

Nintendo needed to let the Wii branding go, they don't need to let Pikmim, or any game series for that matter, go. I can't think of a single franchise Nintendo would be better off not making any more games in if the budget/sales figures allow it.

gabe90

Pikmin 3 is top 10 games of all time in my book.

Thank god OP is nowhere near Nintendo publishing decisions.

Here's hoping they release Pikmin 3 on Switch and offer as a pre-order bonus for Pikmin 4.

L Thammy

I agree with the statement that they should drop Metroid instead, but they should also replace by creating the Donkey Kong Country Prime series.
Donkey Kong versus Dark Donkey Kong needs to be a thing.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Not a big fan of Pikmin but I do see the appeal.

If they let Pikmin go, put the budget they'd save towards resurrecting Star Fox. Zero was awful and it'd be a shame if it kills the franchise.

Wait, didn't Pikmin 3 sell over a million copies, prior to the Nintendo Selects re-release on a failing Wii U console? That seems to me that it's an IP with a lot of potential. Obviously, not Mario tier, but one worth investing in moving forward as it helps their platforms have unique games and genre's that aren't well covered by others in console gaming.

Dystify

We can only go by what is rumored. I know of one rumor stating Pikmin 4 is a reboot and called Pikmin Worlds. Don't ask if I think that's credible, it's just something I heard.

My opinion is that Nintendo would have told us the 3DS game is Pikmin 4. Iirc they did state it's not the same game. Maybe somebody can find a source for this.

Top Bottom