• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo needs to let Pikmin go.

PetrCobra

I don't know what you're smoking OP, but this is a rare case where I DON'T want some.

Pikmin for Switch can't come soon enough. I wouldn't even mind if it's just the multiplayer portion of steroids, as the multiplayer is what I play the most when it comes to Pikmin (yeah, only one playthrough and then MP).

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Pikmin 3 was the first title after launch on Wii U to sell 100K in its first month. It probably eventually sold 750K-1M given the JP sales and what I remember of the US sales. And that's on the Wii U of all things. Pikmin is fine. It sells well enough for what it is and I and other people enjoy it.

Yeah, making it as a sidescroller is stupid

Tbh if Pikmin should randomly take cues from another Nintendo franchise it should be Metroid, imagine a Pikmin game with the structure of that series where you can't conviniently go back to the ship every night. The only way you can spend the night is via save points, otherwise you have to deal with the larger amount of enemies. You unlock Pikmin whose abilities makes you open new paths to new areas in the world. Would be the logical step forwards for the series imo, 3 pretty much went around the whole "time management" aspect

1-8-600x271.png

Will somebody pleeeaseeeeeeeeeeeee give this OP a ban? ._.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Get the hell out, OP. All three mainline Pikmin games are amazing, unparalleled experiences.

The 3DS sidescroller has a lot to prove, yeah - but the franchise as a whole deserves to live on simply on the fact that there's absolutely nothing like it anywhere.

Ridley327

It doesn't help that Other M was a fairly high budget game that sold very poorly and that Prime 3 was already showing a series decline in sales before it.

This goes well beyond where games sell better. It's a simple business decision. Pikmin is relatively cheap to make with a small team. Metroid games are higher budget with bigger teams. It's a numbers game. Pikmin may sell "less", but it doesn't need to sell as much to be profitable.

Prime 3 sold better than Prime 2. The problem is that Prime 1 sold more than 3 million and skewed the perception of what was considered successful for the series. Prior to Prime 1, the games sold pretty much in line with Prime 2 and 3, and Fusion fit right in with that trend. By and large, Metroid has never been a runaway success in any region, with Japan being a notable no-show in terms of support.

Mawile

Banned
Kind of feel this topic is actually toxic for discussion. You don't need to kill off a franchise entirely for another to exist. In business, they do put some on hold, I mean EAD 4 created like 5 NSMB games before Pikmin 3 came out, but it still eventually came out.

If you want Nintendo EAD to work on Metroid, that would've been a better topic as Nintendo hasn't worked on Metroid in a very long time outright, but killing off a franchise will not get you what you want.

Sojiro

Why on earth are we wanting great games to be discontinued? I don't think Nintendo letting Pikmin "go" would automatically mean Metroid would be getting another release. It would just mean another great franchise just stopped, and yeah, fuck that.

Zubz

Banned
All of these oversaturated franchise, & Pikmin is the one you think we have too much of? That'd be foolish even if all 3 games in the series weren't fantastic.

But they are.

psyfi

Banned
I don't see why we should be worrying about Nintendo's profit margin as long as they keep making great games. What's it to you if it sells well or not? Metroid's vitality has little to nothing to do with Pikmin's success. What a strange notion.

hatchx

Banned
What a horrible idea OP. Pikmin is a nearly flawless trilogy. It sells pretty well and has fantastic gameplay and presentation.

Pikmin has never had the luxury of being on a successful console too.

I understand OP's issue with Pikmin being given special treatment, but Pikmin isn't the problem, the problem is Metroid, F-Zero, and Star Fox being neglected.

Wow, an actually reasonable response in a sea of shitty first and second page responses. Bravo!

I think your post gets at the heart of OP's beef. OP thinks that the seemingly special treatment being given to Pikmin is taking resources/interest/etc from other fan-beloved series like Metroid, Star Fox, F-Zero, etc. I don't know enough about Nintendo's internal workings to know whether this is true or not.

But what I do know is that Pikmin has something unique to offer, and it would be sad to see it go away.

Pikmin has never had the luxury of being on a successful console too.

Nintendo Wii?

I'm sure Pikmin has been at least moderately profitable for Nintendo, as a whole. I mean they certainly haven't lost money on it, and it is known for quality releases. Add to that, if Nintendo didn't think Pikmin was a worthwhile brand for them, they certainly wouldn't me making a 2D sidescroller Pikmin game for the 3DS.

Flo_Evans

I never got the love for pikmin.

It was like Japanese craziness but toned down to corporate approved levels. Preferred Katamari Damacy.

Wow, an actually reasonable response in a sea of shitty first and second page responses. Bravo!

I think your post gets at the heart of OP's beef. OP thinks that the seemingly special treatment being given to Pikmin is taking resources/interest/etc from other fan-beloved series like Metroid, Star Fox, F-Zero, etc. I don't know enough about Nintendo's internal workings to know whether this is true or not.

But what I do know is that Pikmin has something unique to offer, and it would be sad to see it go away.

Nintendo Wii?

Well the premise of the thread is still pretty fucking stupid, so not sure what the point is. I guess saltiness that people's favorite series aren't getting the same treatment as Pikmin? Get over it?

And Pikmin didn't get a new game on the Wii. It got ports with motion controls.

It was like Japanese craziness but toned down to corporate approved levels. Preferred Katamari Damacy.

I have literally no idea what this is supposed to mean, and Pikmin is so far removed gameplay wise from the Katamari games that the comparison is worthless.

Agreed 100%, but the only way we're going to get rid of this franchise is when Miyamoto dies.

Get the fuck out with this shit. Things like this are better off kept in your head with your mouth shut.

Sounds like a bunch of you all need to get off the internet for a while and just go take a walk or something.

Agreed 100%, but the only way we're going to get rid of this franchise is when Miyamoto dies. So we're stuck with it for some time.

I don't get it, are you an investor or something? Why the fuck do you care about the sales? It's a well-regarded franchise and your reason for killing it seems to be "well it doesn't sell well so make anything else."

It's a streamlined RTS optimized for consoles, what the fuck are you talking about.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
It's crazy Nintendo internally developed 5 skus of Pikmin. What's the highest selling one anyway? Definitely the lowest selling series that the company internally managed.

sfried

I was looking at the 3DS release schedule, and I noticed Pikmin on the list which I had completely forgotten about. I'm shaking my damned head.

I'm shaking my damned head for you forgetting Pikmin is a primary Nintendo franchise. And people keep ranting how "Nintendo only makes Mario and Zelda" while newer IPs like this don't get mentioned despite their heavy following...

...and the connection between the two?

Well the premise of the thread is still pretty fucking stupid, so not sure what the point is. I guess saltiness that people's favorite series aren't getting the same treatment as Pikmin? Get over it?

And Pikmin didn't get a new game on the Wii. It got ports with motion controls.

It was only a suggestion made by the OP, as "wrong" as it may be. I personally don't agree with it, but I'm also not getting wrapped around the axle because of it. Calm the hell down, dude.

Also, when I responded with "Nintendo Wii" that was to a post claiming that Pikmin had not been released on a "successful Nintendo console." If you calmed down for a second, you'd notice that post didn't have any qualifiers; thus, a port counts.

Mega

Banned
That and we've had, what, 3 mainline entries in the last decade and a half? They're barely doing anything with it as is. How's that forcing it down our throat?

This. I mean, what the hell is this thread? Three well-reviewed games with decent sales in a whopping 15 years. Get the hell out of here.

Neoxon

Yeah, today is definitely Bad Opinion Day. First someone in the MvCI thread suggesting that regular Dante is bad & should be replaced by DmC Dante, now this. This thread is bad & you should feel bad, OP.

But let me put it this way, variety is the spice of life, especially for a console's library of games. Pikmin provides variety that none of Nintendo's other IPs provide. Why get rid of it?

We need to let you go, OP.
First post is best post.

Red Devil

I couldn't care less about Pikmin, but not sure how dropping Pikmin will bring something like a Metroid game when the staff has nothing to do with it.

What reasonable points? He states the series doesn't sell well, which in itself doesn't seem to be true. Pretty sure even Pikmin 3 reached a million units sold and also had DLC to make more money.

Pikmin even got into Smash. Bros and have an amiibo. I'm sure the series is profitable for Nintendo.

If I recall correctly Pikmin 3 did about as good in sales as Pikmin 2's original release.

Get the fuck out with this shit. Things like this are better off kept in your head with your mouth shut.

Sounds like a bunch of you all need to get off the internet for a while and just go take a walk or something.

What? I'm not being disrespectful, I'm just saying the truth. The project is his baby.

LOLDSFAN

There's no reason why a series like Metroid, a more beloved and commercially successful franchise, is in coma while this flop of a series continues to hog up R&D resources and space.
Coma?

Metroid Prime Federation Force just came out last year.

After Other M and then FF, I'd say Metroid is the one hogging up the "R&D resources".

What? I'm not being disrespectful, I'm just saying the truth. The project is his baby.

Well what you said is a pretty fucking vile way of saying "I don't like thing" but okay.

ITT, people don't know how to cope with games being made and enjoyed besides the ones they like more.

Not to add to the pile on, but Pikmin 3 is literally the only Nintendo game my wife likes to play. I'm hoping the franchise will continue and make her try their other games too.

D.Lo

You know what game series I love? Pikmin. Such quirky unique games with an incredibly solid gameplay core, and buckets of charm and character. If I ever get jaded about video games, the three Pikmin games show that every now and then something fresh comes along, like a ray of sunshine, making me realise this industry can still create magic and joy sometimes.

They're lower budget and sell decently too, so they also show that there is a commercial place for awesome medium-level games too.

For me, Pikmin represents all that is right about Nintendo, and to a certain extent the gaming market as a whole.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Maybe I could get behind Star Fox at this point, but every Pikmin release has been solid to amazing. Pikmin 3 is something of a top 20 all time game for me. We'll see about the platformer that's coming.. but I hope the franchise continues to live up to its high standards for years to come.

This is madness. You don't work for these companies so stop caring about their bottom lines. A good game is worth being made for the sake of there being good games for us to play. And Pikmin is a damn good game series.

Stop trying to backseat run Nintendo please.

Top Bottom