• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of America Issues Statement on Stolen Switch Systems

No. Read again. I'm talking about reselling it.

The retailer part was either him lying or him not realizing that the employee who gave it to him had stolen it.
So that part doesn't hurt his credibility in your eyes eh.
Oh and yeah he actually tried to sell it on reddit first before even coming to GAF.

Cerium

Detective gaf found that he was doing exactly what he said multiple times he was going to do, right here on gaf.

Except he tried to sell it first and then, when no one believed his goods were real, started posting videos on GAF in order to drum up interest for his little fundraiser.

indask8

That hiphoprobot guy quickly went from hero to zero.

Not getting his money back is the best thing that could happen to him now that we know everything.

Parahan

The Nintendo of America Ninjas just aren't as good as their Japanese counterparts.

Anyway, hiphoptherobot is the real hero here, being so open about everything and showing us a great look at the UI. Hopefully he's compensated and/or given a replacement Switch on launch day.

He is just a guy who tried to make a fortune using shady deals and when that wasn't working he got 15 minutes of fame by trying to look like an innocent guy who got lucky. He is neither a hero nor the villian, just some human who did human things.

Should've posted anonymously on /v/
He seemed pretty confident that Nintendo would reimburse him after launch
I think he was hoping that if he didn't bad mouth Nintendo they'd send him a bundle of goods. I don't think that's likely to happen with how they're swinging in this statement.

UnNamed

Banned
The individuals involved have been identified, terminated.
Terminator-2-judgement-day.jpg

Malfunky

He's just some guy who put out some content that we all enjoyed and lapped up. It was fun.
Personally, I'd rather not side with a billion dollar corporation over some poor sap's life, legality be damned. Nintendo got their shit back, terminated the responsible parties (who I hope don't get completely fucked over -- again, they're people, just some poor saps, though clearly foolish ones), and people got more hyped for the Switch along the way. Hope everything works out for hiphop.

He's just some guy who put out some content that we all enjoyed and lapped up. It was fun.
Personally, I'd rather not side with a billion dollar corporation over some poor sap's life, legality be damned. Nintendo got their shit back, terminated the responsible parties (who I hope don't get completely fucked over -- again, they're people, just some poor saps, though clearly foolish ones), and people got more hyped for the Switch along the way. Hope everything works out for hiphop.
Good man. Too little of this ITT.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
A reasonable punishment in my opinion. I fully condemn criminal acts as an attempt to gain fame on the Internet or elsewhere. Remember that patience is a virtue, there was no need whatsoever to commit these acts, these individuals would have done well in waiting a few more days until actual launch of the system. That way they could have possibly kept their jobs and avoided legal entanglement.

The Boat

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

See the comments from Nintendorep in reddit and the screens:
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...ndo_has_taken_back_the_leaked_switch_console/

The guy tried to sell it for as much as he could on reddit before even coming to gaf as no one believed it was true.

Why does that even matter? If he didn't know at the time that it was stolen, he's well within his right to sell it. If I saw a Switch available before launch I wouldn't even think about the money before buying it. Afterwards you might have second thoughts though.

Alienous

I stand with HipHopTheRobot, if only for revealing that the Nintendo Switch will have only 25GB of usable onboard storage.

That's a pitiful amount. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild consumes more than half of that alone.

Why does that even matter? If he didn't know at the time that it was stolen, he's well within his right to sell it. If I saw a Switch available before launch I wouldn't even think about the money before buying it. Afterwards you might have second thoughts though.

Did you follow the reddit thread? The way his story changed and actions played out as he realized he couldn't unload it, he absolutely does not deserve the benefit of doubt you gave him. He bought unreleaseded hardware weeks before release. Let's not be naive.

big_z

I don't blame HipHopTheRobot, I blame gaf. For a young innocent lad like hiphop the highly logical and well thought out discussions contained within the Foxconn thread are overwhelming.

The wonders of incredible SoCs, FP16, hidden power and more is only something those with a mind as sound as misterXmedia can handle. For hiphop it was too much and temptation overpowered that day he went to work and saw those Switch systems sitting there. He knew if he had one he'd make three weeks pay and all eyes of his gaf brethren would be on him. He would become legend. With all that adrenaline and excitement flowing through him as he walked out of that distributor Switch in hand, he probably orgasmed harder than he will ever again. Gaf stole that experience from him.

Now the Nintendo ninjas have hunted him down and transported him to foxconn to insert A buttons into joycons for the next 5 years.

RIP in peace homie

The shady part on his behalf is that he claimed he got it shipped early by the retailer - tried to look like a good guy by not saying who the retailer was for fear of them getting in trouble with Nintendo - then all of a sudden his story changed completely to where he got it from.

He most likely knew the shady people who stole it in the first place and the circumstances but is feigning ignorance - you don't just randomly come across a guy selling you a switch on the street...
I can't give him the benefit of the doubt when he clearly lied about how he got it and his motives.

Sorry, I didn't read the whole thread but going by the statement I didn't read that hiphop would get in trouble...? The only people being questioned by law enforcement were the ones who stole/sold the console isn't it? I missed the entire saga but hiphop wasn't one of those sellers right? Or did it turn out that he was?

Mafro

I stand with HipHopTheRobot, if only for revealing that the Nintendo Switch will have only 25GB of usable onboard storage.

That's a pitiful amount. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild consumes more than half of that alone.
Shame you can't just buy an SD card to expand the memory.

Pretty much how I feel. He did some shady shit but this is honestly not a big deal so I would rather his life isn't super fucked up over this. He lost his unit, people involved were fired, its mostly benign.

Hattori

Banned
Why should you even have to?

MS and Sony get some shit for shipping with 500Gb, 25Gb is ridiculous and out of touch just expecting consumers to buy extra storage cards.
you have a choice here, buy physical or digital (get an SD card). With the others, having storage is mandatory.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
you have a choice here, buy physical or digital (get an SD card). With the others, having storage is mandatory.

Storage is mandatory on Switch as well. Updates and DLC are part of the gaming landscape of every platform. If Zelda is any indication Nintendo will be likely throwing out season passes just like every other publisher.

If you do crimes you deserve to get punished. If you do something out of ignorance (like hippitihop might've done, maybe) you deserve a smaller punishment like he got (losing the console and possibly his money).

What on Earth is wrong with people who think that Nintendo did something wrong? Do not be stupid and act without moral.

He's just a guy like the rest of us and he got off the hook with minor damage. He should consider himself lucky and leave it at that. Good for him and a valuable life lesson.

MS and Sony get some shit for shipping with 500Gb, 25Gb is ridiculous and out of touch just expecting consumers to buy extra storage cards.

The type of storage you can reasonable price in a handheld the size of the switch is pretty low. Even if they went 128GB it would boost the price of the system dramatically.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I've bought things early from major retailers before retailers, back in the days before they locked down their register systems preventing it.
I tried to buy PS4 Pro early when it was on store shelves and got denied.
People got shipped the Vita and PS4 early in Canada.
In many of these situations, people posted about it when they got item ___ early, and I would be no different.

The only difference here is how the item was obtained. The OP knew it wasn't right, which is why he posted that it was shipped to him early. It was stolen goods which he decided to buy. He tried to sell it, that failed. He tried to show it off, perhaps to be able to sell it after. It caught Nintendo's attn. He paid the price, thieves got caught.

I am happy to learn information Nintendo should have disclosed in the first place that were brought to light through Hiphop, I'm happy thieves were caught.

I do not stand with Hiphop. If he bought it through legit channels, I would stand with him.

So that part doesn't hurt his credibility in your eyes eh.
Oh and yeah he actually tried to sell it on reddit first before even coming to GAF.
See the comments from Nintendorep in reddit and the screens:
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...ndo_has_taken_back_the_leaked_switch_console/

The guy tried to sell it for as much as he could on reddit before even coming to gaf as no one believed it was true.

Where are you getting this time table, going to reddit first? I'm not seeing information specific enough to confirm that. For all we know he was posting at GAF and trying to sell it simultaneously. One of his first posts about it at GAF was that he was likely going to sell it. And it wouldn't matter if he was trying to sell it, as he didn't know it was stolen.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Where are you getting this time table, going to reddit first? I'm not seeing information specific enough to confirm that. For all we know he was posting at GAF and trying to sell it simultaneously. One of his first posts about it at GAF was that he was likely going to sell it. And it wouldn't matter if he was trying to sell it, as he didn't know it was stolen.

I seriously doubt he believed buying a Switch off someone on the street was on the up and up. He knew what he was obtaining, immediately showed it off for some quick internet fame, and upon sobering up, tried to unload it on someone else.

Check again, it was posted for sale on Reddit before the videos came out.

Koren

Storage is mandatory on Switch as well. Updates and DLC are part of the gaming landscape of every platform. If Zelda is any indication Nintendo will be likely throwing out season passes just like every other publisher.
I still hope the updates will be saved on carts, at least in some cases....

Unfortunately, his original thread on Reddit where he was trying to sell the item was deleted by a Mod so I don't have that to point to directly anymore. The only other direct proof we have (other than the users who saw the thread) is the screenshot posted by a user who took it before the thread was deleted. You could try contacting him if you want absolute proof...
http://i.imgur.com/WIXxpGC.png

Lmao y'all thirst Mcgees happily cheer for dudes UI video, then shit hit the fan and y'all wanna be moral police on the dude.

Y'all some clowns lol

EDarkness

What do you mean? I only have 500GB on my PS4 and I have to micromanage that space constantly. It's annoying as hell, so in the end I'll have to add more storage when I didn't think I'd need to. Buying more space is just the nature of the business, but you have the option to get more...and should. The only thing I want to see them add is the option to use external HDDs. I'd get one for my NS in a heartbeat.

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

What crime? Buying a switch from a likely friend/acquaintance in retail then trying to flip it without knowing that friend/acquaintance actually stole it?

So many assumptions in this thread. I didn't know we had so many CIA operatives who post on GAF.

Check again, it was posted for sale on Reddit before the videos came out.

I'm still not seeing it.

Also he posted on GAF before the videos came out, too. That's pretty much what I said, could've been posting about it simultaneously. It's not like he went "well nobody's buying it, I guess I'll try to get famous at least." He posted about it, said he would try to sell it, and then tried to sell it.

Top Bottom