• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of Europe tweet suggests new Mario Kart 8 DLC on the way?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
YES. GIVE IT TO ME.

I've been wanting more MK8 DLC since the last stuff came out. Utterly fantastic stuff. If true, perhaps this was put on a fast track considering the NX delay?

We wouldn't be thinking twice about this if we weren't so damn thirsty for Nintendo content

It's just filler social media content on a Friday. That's all.

If this was a true tease it wouldn't be coming from a single account, least of all just NoE

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
This doesn't suggest that unless you're trying to read it that way.

It's just "Here's a common phrase, here's a picture from Mario Kart 64, here's the closest hashtag for the most currently available product we have available."

I wouldn't read that much into it.
I havent seen you in a good few months, was beginning to think you were banned

Pandy

I think it's more of a reference to the hype train...but it is odd that they'd use an image from Mario Kart 64 with a hashtag for MK8...

...but why do more DLC now? Surely MK9 is in production by now.
I saw the tweet earlier and thought it was just a gag reference, which NoE do the whole time.

That said... if NX launch really has been delayed beyond their original plans then MK8 DLC wouldn't be a bad gap filler for existing WiiU owners (very many of whom own MK8), would it.

ChrisD

I want to believe there's more coming, but I know better than to let my hopes get put down.
E3 would be the perfect time to announce, but it doesn't make sense for how late in the game it is.

Davey Cakes

Carie Marie DLC, Splatoon level.
I would not be surprised, considering how hard Nintendo is pushing Splatoon (and rightfully so).

Splatoon DLC would be a perfect fit for MK8 as well. Just one IP sliding into the other, stylistically. If it worked for the other non-Mario games, it can work for Splatoon.

Callie/Marie and Squid Girl/Boy can be like Villager. And they can throw in a playable squid too, or something.

At the very least we should get more Amiibo costumes for the Mii racer, it's strange they stopped after Wave 4 (although I suppose that coincided with the release of the last DLC).

Neiteio

I think that's just a joke to the effect that had they waited for the train to pass, they wouldn't have been run over.

That being said, man, MK8 DLC would really hit the spot right about now. After DOOM and UC4, I'm fixin' for some new Nintendo stuff.

Platy

There's a 0% chance that the MK team isn't balls deep in MK9 right now. No way would they continue DLC a year after the last DLC release.

Maybe they were developing and suddenly were like "...hey those tracks are pretty easy to port to MK8 !" and then they were like OMFG FREE MONEY

Vandole

They certainly need to offer something for Wii U owners this holiday season. MK8 DLC would be an easy way to at least pretend they give a crap about me and the other 86 Wii U owners out there.

AdanVC

That would be awesome but It's just a random tweet about the train hitting you on that specific track. NoE's twitter post silly tweets like that all the time. The #MK8 tag was probably a mistake. #NoFunAllowed.jpg

The only way I can see this happening is if they've robbed some MK9 work, and shoved it into MK8 to try and reduce the sting from the lack of Wii U content this year.

This honestly wouldn't surprise me. The Wii U is pretty much dead now in terms of new releases, so they may have decided to revive MK8 by putting out more DLC packs. No objections here; hell I'd be happy to see them do this with more Wii U games. More stages in Smash Bros. and Pikmin 3 would be amazing.

Zubz

Banned
Someone pointed out the fact that Nintendo France, Spain and Italy posted the exact same thing on their respective twitter accounts

https://twitter.com/NintendoFrance/status/738777789319503872

https://twitter.com/NintendoItalia/status/738777795451588609

https://twitter.com/NintendoES/status/738777795174748160

Take that as you will..

Do those 3 usually echo NoE's Twitter?

If this was really a tease, wouldn't this have been a vague picture of a new, HD track, anyway? It seems weird to use an MK64 picture to tease new content for MK8, whereas it could still be used to remind people about MK8 to add to that game's tail-sales.

Roo

Do those 3 usually echo NoE's Twitter?

If this was really a tease, wouldn't this have been a vague picture of a new, HD track, anyway? It seems weird to use an MK64 picture to tease new content for MK8, whereas it could still be used to remind people about MK8 to add to that game's tail-sales.

I just follow NoA's twitter but giving a quick look at past tweets, it seems like they all share the same content.

I guess it's probably nothing then.

L~A

Someone pointed out the fact that Nintendo France, Spain and Italy posted the exact same thing on their respective twitter accounts

https://twitter.com/NintendoFrance/status/738777789319503872

https://twitter.com/NintendoItalia/status/738777795451588609

https://twitter.com/NintendoES/status/738777795174748160

Take that as you will..

Indeed.

https://twitter.com/NintendoItalia/status/738068022527660032

https://twitter.com/NintendoES/status/738068022900981760

https://twitter.com/NintendoFrance/status/738068021810339840

The vast majority of tweets are the same for all accounts, except for the country-specific announcements.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Maybe?

qzzcBI2.jpg

Not really. I'm pretty sure that Mario Kart 9 is in work right now.

This basically proves to me that it's nothing; if it were a coordinated effort, it would be on more than just the European channels

I agree.

I don't believe that the Italy, France and Spain versions of Nintendo have their own social media people, so they just take some of what NoE proper post and translate them.

Big Nikus

Well the image is from MK64 and the hashtag refers the last Mario Kart released, and it states that it pays off to be patient. It's a broad statement refering to Mario Kart.
I take it as "yeah we know the wait for the NX sucks, but be patient, Mario Kart is coming"

Mario Kart 8 on NX or Mario Kart 9 ?

Yeah I know, it's probably nothing :(
(but may be not)

Both Nintendo Europe and NOA post dumbass shit on Twitter all the time. It doesn't have to be anything. I'd totally buy some more MK8 DLC, though.

OmegaFax

Both Nintendo Europe and NOA post dumbass shit on Twitter all the time. It doesn't have to be anything. I'd totally buy some more MK8 DLC, though.

I think some wires got crossed with whoever runs their Twitter account and immediately hashtagged the image with #MK8 for something that was just meant to be a picture of the day throwaway. I hope I'm wrong.

Mory Dunz

I wish Nintendo was more pro-active in creating development cycles for their series. There should be no reason why they can't have Excite-whatever game in the first year of the console, Mario Kart in the second year, Wave Race in the third year, and F-Zero in the fourth year and just rinse and repeat. All of those are super different Racing games but Nintendo only decides to focus only on one of them.

But then you would end up with too many arcade racers, and when Dankey Kongers Tropical Farce Carts does less than expected, everyone can point to it and say, "see, I told you there were too many racers. Why can't they make something else?"

bman94

But then you would end up with too many arcade racers, and when Dankey Kongers Tropical Farce Carts does less than expected, everyone can point to it and say, "see, I told you there were too many racers. Why can't they make something else?"

I don't think so. Being pretty much the only big publisher that does Arcade racers I don't think it'll be too much. And plus, F-Zero could be considered a "futuristic racer" which is a genre that hasn't been present from a big publisher in a long time, Nintendo could do Wave Race as some sort of Arcade Simulation game with emphasis on physics and Excite Series throws enough differences to standout from all the other Arcade racers.

Even though MK9 is most likely in development, additional DLC for existing games is a good way to make some income despite the lack of upcoming games this year.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
NoE did accidentally let slip MK8 DLC originally and with Rainbow Road SNES appearing again despite being a MK7 retro track one can't even say Kalimari Desert being a pre-existing retro track makes it not likely to appear again as MK8 DLC.

Honestly, this is the kind of news I'd love to be true but I don't want to have any false expectation so I'm going to er on the side of caution.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
This isn't hinting shit. It's just taking that phrase and relating it to a Nintendo-themed situation where it applies - i.e., waiting for the train to go past before driving forward again. They could also use "Fools rush in..." instead.

Anyway, kill the hype train already.

Top Bottom