• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of Europe tweet suggests new Mario Kart 8 DLC on the way?

TheJoRu

Mario Kart 8 won't get an NX port. On average it takes 3 years to make a new Mario Kart and Mario Kart released 2 years ago in May. Mario Kart 9 is very likely going to be an NX launch game

I doubt a new Mario Kart was in any sort of development before the second DLC pack was done. So I do not expect a new game before spring 2018, or holiday 2017 at the earliest.

mo60

I have seen some of nintendo's branches like Nintendo of Americas post stuff like this before. I wouldn't read much into it yet.

Hermii

I doubt a new Mario Kart was in any sort of development before the second DLC pack was done. So I do not expect a new game before spring 2018, or holiday 2017 at the earliest.

MK 8 got a huge graphical upgrade, I dont expect the next one to be upgraded anywhere near as much. If you just add 1080p and some AA , AF, whatever its called to MK 8 you already have a gorgeous game. Thats why I think MK 9 may have a shorter development cycle.

Turrican3

Not to mention the DLC tracks probably didn't get a huge team busy, letting most of the people able to work on the next mainline title.

Well, now that you make me think about it I guess an NX launch with Mario Kart would be quite a nice thing.

MK 8 got a huge graphical upgrade, I dont expect the next one to be upgraded anywhere near as much. If you just add 1080p and some AA , AF, whatever its called to MK 8 you already have a gorgeous game. Thats why I think MK 9 may have a shorter development cycle.
When I thought the NX would release this year I was thinking Mario Kart 9 would release in 2017 (probably the May slot again). That would give it 3 years difference. Now the NX is releasing in March 2017 I think there's a great chance it would still release next year. Maybe, later 2017 it would release.

Shiggy

Not to mention the DLC tracks probably didn't get a huge team busy, letting most of the people able to work on the next mainline title.

Well, now that you make me think about it I guess an NX launch with Mario Kart would be quite a nice thing.

The DLC Tracks probably kept most of the team busy. They werent just recycling assets.

I would be perfectly fine with a Mario Kart concept which just adds new tracks and characters to an existing engine. I've been playing Mario Kart since the 90s and MK8 is by far my favorite entry. So in my mind, a Mario Kart 8 Ultimate for NX with all the WiiU tracks, some new ones, additional modes (battle mode and whatever they can think of) and better image quality feats (and portable version :p) would be fine for me to rebuy on the NX. Also, it is sad that this entry has the lowest player base of all Mario Kart games... since it is IMO the best. If they go that route, I could see them also releasing some more tracks as DLC for the WiiU this year before the NX is released. Maybe that's wishful thinking though, but adding 8-16 more tracks would provide my friends and me with at least 50 or more new hours of fun - we still play MK8 to this day. But as of now, I remain sceptical of this tweet - would make me very happy though.

Turrican3

The DLC Tracks probably kept most of the team busy. They werent just recycling assets.
I seem to recall there was a source/interview confirming a decently small team... unless I'm totally misremembering :-\

Anyway, I'd guess that at least that would be true for the track designer / art team, not the core engine and stuff related, wouldn't it?

What about a dlc featuring...

250px-SquidSisters.png

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I hope you are aware that you are putting more thought into the hashtags than the person who wrote those tweets.

I was simply addressing one argument being put forward. Wasn't exactly hard to search @NintendoUK #MarioKart and find the first example.

My big problem with this rumour is that it coming true would mean my MK8 OST would be out of date!

Hermii

I would be perfectly fine with a Mario Kart concept which just adds new tracks and characters to an existing engine. I've been playing Mario Kart since the 90s and MK8 is by far my favorite entry. So in my mind, a Mario Kart 8 Ultimate for NX with all the WiiU tracks, some new ones, additional modes (battle mode and whatever they can think of) and better image quality feats (and portable version :p) would be fine for me to rebuy on the NX. Also, it is sad that this entry has the lowest player base of all Mario Kart games... since it is IMO the best. If they go that route, I could see them also releasing some more tracks as DLC for the WiiU this year before the NX is released. Maybe that's wishful thinking though, but adding 8-16 more tracks would provide my friends and me with at least 50 or more new hours of fun - we still play MK8 to this day. But as of now, I remain sceptical of this tweet - would make me very happy though.

It would be pretty cool if they went all out on the concept they were experimenting with on the DLC and give us a proper "Nintendo Kart".

It would be pretty cool if they went all out on the concept they were experimenting with on the DLC and give us a proper "Nintendo Kart".

Well, Splatoon would fit, Kirby would fit, Pokemon would fit, Earthbound would fit, Sonic crossover would be amazing. I can't see this going the Smash route though with adding Fire Emblem, Metroid etc. (While the Hyrule track and design of the Hyrule motorcycle were amazing, Link always felt a bit off visually). I feel Mario Kart is first and foremost a Mario series game in feel and atmosphere. Though they could still deliver a lot of Mario-themed tracks before running out of ideas (I am amazed there wasn't a true Mario Galaxy track yet, that would've been so fitting with the antigrav theme... also, Paper Mario, more Donkey Kong- and Yoshi Wooly World themed stuff...). Though yeah, pipe-dreams :p

KingBroly

Banned
Assuming something IS coming for Mario Kart 8, it'll be another testing ground for Mario Kart 9.

200cc definitely was. Maybe Link, Isabelle and the Villagers were as well.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
One character I'd like to see is Ashley from Wario Ware. Well technically I'd rather have Jimmy T, but using promotional outlets like 3DS themes and Badge Arcade it's quite clear she's the most popular Wario Ware character outside of Wario himself. Unlike other guest characters she is linked to the Mario universe even if the WW universe is kept kind of separate from it.

I do think DLC for Splatoon, Kart and Smash could work as an effective springboard for the NX. They seem to be the key titles that Nintendo themselves have identified. It would also plug a barren hole.

On the flipside you kind of don't want to over sell those games and they become stale.

kirby_fox

Banned
Tad late to the party, but I had contemplated that this could happen. They have nothing for Wii U coming out this holiday season now and all is riding on Pokemon for their holiday title. And now NX not coming out until next year, they need something to create sales.

Easiest solution would be DLC for games already out. Surprise DLC for Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. would have people hyped. They still have stuff for Hyrule Warriors. They could add some paid content for Splatoon too. Or out of nowhere make a game like New Super Luigi.

I can totally believe this and would expect some kind of news shortly if any of it were true.

Zubz

Banned
One character I'd like to see is Ashley from Wario Ware. Well technically I'd rather have Jimmy T, but using promotional outlets like 3DS themes and Badge Arcade it's quite clear she's the most popular Wario Ware character outside of Wario himself. Unlike other guest characters she is linked to the Mario universe even if the WW universe is kept kind of separate from it.

I could see Ashley, as well as Callie/Marie like everyone else has mentioned. Assuming this tweet means anything, they might also consider adding K. Rool to ride on his sudden popularity after the Smash Ballot. I'm still erring on the side of caution, but the #MarioKart tweet that was explicitly about MK8 makes the #MK8 tweet for an MK64 tweet a bit more suspect.

Honestly, though, I'm just hoping that MK9 is straight-up Nintendo Kart, with the Marioverse serving as a host.

Top Bottom