• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power 273 reviews (Mario 3D Land=9.0, Rayman Origins=9.5, X-Men Destiny=2.5)

I'm not surprised if Rayman is better than Mario. And by that I mean, this Mario and the New Super Mario Bros series. It looks fucking amazing. I really don't like the new style of the Mario side scrolling games, I really wish they'd try some art like Rayman for their next 2D game. (which obvious won't happen with the WiiU Mario game)

Cool. I've been more hyped for Rayman Origins that Super Mario 3D Land for a while now. Rayman is exactly what I've been begging for from platformers for years, while Mario looks like another thematic retread in the redundant footsteps of NSMB DS/Wii, only even further dumbed down for the sake of "accessibility".

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Nintendo Power top 25 GameCube games of all time list:

1. RE4
2. Wind Waker
3. Twilight Princess
4. Melee
5. Metroid Prime
6. Soul Calibur II
7. SMS
8. Pikmin
9. Paper Mario: TTYD
10. REmake
11. Viewtiful Joe
12. Beyond Good & Evil
13. MKDD
14. Billy Hatcher
15. Luigi's Mansion
16. The Twin Snakes
17. The Sands of Time
18. Skies of Arcadia Legends
19. Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
20. Rouge Squadron II
21. Tales of Symphonia
22. Four Swords Adventure
23. F-Zero GX
24. Animal Crossing
25. Ikaruga

I thought it was:
1. Melee
2. There were other games on Gamecube?

LOCK

I'm buying two copies of Rayman. One for the Wii for family and friends holiday play. One on the PS3 so my eyes alone can witness glorious 2D in HD.

I'm also buying two SM3DLands lol. One for me and one for my 4 year old nephew. (future nerd)

Kazerei said:
Wow. Billy Hatcher being on there is ridiculous. Luigi's Mansion, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, and Four Swords Adventures are all very questionable. And no Metroid Prime 2, Eternal Darkness, Fire Emblem, or Super Monkey Ball? Try harder next time, NP.

Only thing questionable about Four Swords being on there is the fact that it's not in the top 5.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Welp, I guess I'll be the first to say I agree with their list. I might not have it in that exact order; but it seems a pretty solid list nonetheless. I'd put Phantasy Star Online in there somewhere; but otherwise, it gets my support.

mozfan12

Banned
Wtf at Billy Hatcher, someone in the staff must have really loved that game. I think RE 4 deserves the #1 spot, with Metroid Prime right next to it.

No pikmin 2 is also a crime, but damn the list does remind me that the gamecube had some excellent games, maybe even a better lineup than the Wii.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
24FrameDaVinci said:
Rayman outdoes Mario, eh? That game looked fucking fantastic from the very beginning.

Good scores for both, guess I know what my first two 3DS games will be.
I have a LOT of trouble believing this to be true.

edit: also that list.... Billy hatcher was SHIT. Pikmin 1 deserves it over Pikmin 2 just for the originality aspect. Pikmin 2 was the longer better game though.

I think the real crime is the complete omission of Super Monkey Ball on that list. There's a zen to that game that reminds me of my favorite old school arcade games.

Famassu

catfish said:
I have a LOT of trouble believing this to be true.
Why? Not only does the a lot of what we've seen of Rayman Origins seem to be heck of a more creative than anything in 3D Land so far (Tetris stuff, for example), Rayman also seems to have super-fun coop gameplay. And the pace in Rayman Origins seems to be a heck of a lot faster, at least when people who know what they are doing are playing it.

Pikmin 1 deserves it over Pikmin 2 just for the originality aspect. Pikmin 2 was the longer better game though.
Uhh, what kind of stupid logic is this? Of course the better game ALWAYS deserves to be higher up on a Top list. Originality doesn't top quality, come on.

Social

Yeah, still not that interested in Mario 3DS... but I played a couple of Rayman levels with a friend at Eurogamer and omg! So awesome :). I would have bought it if it was on PC and had online coop.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I got confirmation Rayman 3DS is a 2012 title. They will certainly release it along with the Vita version.

pelican

Mpl90 said:
Everyone knows the real protagonist here is X-Men Destiny, right?

How SK have head dived off a cliff...

Would be interesting to read some Dyack spin on this title's quality.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Jaded Alyx said:
It's received a few already.

Just because the visuals may seem poor, it's still the same game as before.

Plus apparently it has some of the best looking 3D to date.

I remember looking at the images being released over the past year or however long it's been in development and feeling like I'm the only one who didn't think they look horrible.

Wow, sooo great that Rayman is on top of his game again.
Here is a game that shows what can be done if great artists are givin the freedom to do something they think is fun. The joy is radiating from the screens.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Rayman Origins: 9.5/10 (Wii)

+Beautiful art
+Inspired soundtrack that amplifies the manic atmosphere
+Nothing plain or boring
+Extremely fluid
+Some of the "tightest" level design in the reviewers' 26 year experience with platformers
+Great at creating sense of momentum
+Perfect difficult
+Great multiplayer
+Always introducing new concepts

Overall: "Best Rayman game ever made. A platforming masterpiece."
I am liking what I'm reading in that Rayman review a lot. So hyped for it and its fantastic artstyle. I can't wait to see it for myself on my TV (and also Vita next year).

As for that GameCube list... Baten Kaitos Origins, Eternal Darkness and Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance seem to be missing. :/

Celine

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
It was a horribly shitty one paragraph review that just described what the game was about and said some of the control was weird without a second stick.
Shit. That was my fear when I saw the E3 video :-\

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I met with Michel Ancel years ago when he presented Rayman for the 1st time at a fair in Paris. I was amazed, the art style was unique. At the time the game was planned for a Jaguar release and it is one of the reasons I bought the console (the other one being Alien vs Predator). In the end the game released on Playstation first and I got it on this platform. Good memories.

Dr.Hadji

Famassu said:
Why? Not only does the a lot of what we've seen of Rayman Origins seem to be heck of a more creative than anything in 3D Land so far (Tetris stuff, for example), Rayman also seems to have super-fun coop gameplay. And the pace in Rayman Origins seems to be a heck of a lot faster, at least when people who know what they are doing are playing it.

How do you figure? There are very few things shown the the trailers that hasn't been done in a Mario game before. Which isn't too surprising. Mario has covered a lot of ground is some 20+ years. The thing I find funny is, you'd call Rayman creative for putting its own stank on classic platforming tropes while 3d Land is not creative for doing the same.

StevieP

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:
Mario looks like another thematic retread in the redundant footsteps of NSMB DS/Wii, only even further dumbed down for the sake of "accessibility".

This ... doesn't compute.

Famassu

Dr.Hadji said:
How do you figure? There are very few things shown the the trailers that hasn't been done in a Mario game before. Which isn't too surprising. Mario has covered a lot of ground is some 20+ years.
Rayman Origins seems like a game of its own, whereas SM3D Land doesn't really seem to be offering much that hasn't been seen in 2d or 3d Marios before. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about 3D Land and I'm sure it's an excellent game, but much like New Super Marios in the past, everything kind of feels too safe.

Rayman Origins with its crazy humor and clever surprises just seems something that I'll be playing with a constant smile on my face. Of course final judgement will have to wait until I've played both games, but at this point I'm willing to bet I'll have more fun with Origins.

The thing I find funny is, you'd call Rayman creative for putting its own stank on classic platforming tropes while 3d Land is not creative for doing the same.
Many of 3D Land's levels seems like they are straight from Super Mario Bros 3., but with a kind of Little Big Planet like depth added to 2d levels (though, not with the kind of "planes" LBP has that you need to switch between), others look like something you could expect from those FLUDDless Super Mario Sunshine levels with some tools from Galaxy added into them. Nothing wrong with them per se but, again, Rayman looks to have a more distinct style, which 3D Land lacks.

Anth0ny

My top 5 GC games:

1. Melee
2. RE4
3. Wind Waker
4. Mario Sunshine
5. Paper Mario

What a godlike console.

Haven't played through Metroid Prime yet =/

Top Bottom