• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power Reveals All Wii US Million Sellers (W/ Numbers)

walking fiend said:
It'll definitely outsell TP on Wii.

1. TP sold like 1 million on GC, so it actually sold close to 4m.
2. TP was a Wii launch title and it wasn't an ever green title, Wii installed based has grown considerably since then
3. SS seems to be a much more important entry in the series than TP ever was.

I wouldn't be surprised if the game manages to crack 10 million World Wide, definitely over 3m in the US in few months.

No hope in hell. The US is Zelda's biggest market. OoT only managed to hit around 7.5 million WW and that's the best selling game in the series (TP is 2nd with about 5-6 million when combining the Wii and GCN versions)

I reckon it'll probably end up roughly matching Zelda TP's total sales (i.e GCN + Wii), meaning that it'll outsell TP Wii.

Mael

Nuclear Muffin said:
No hope in hell. The US is Zelda's biggest market. OoT only managed to hit around 7.5 million WW and that's the best selling game in the series (TP is 2nd with about 5-6 million when combining the Wii and GCN versions)

Actually WW it's got a shot,
I mean if it performs like OoT on n64 in the US and Japan where the install base was much lower, then the EU market should help pass it since n64's presence here was anecdotic.

Mael said:
Actually WW it's got a shot,
I mean if it performs like OoT on n64 in the US and Japan where the install base was much lower, then the EU market should help pass it since n64's presence here was anecdotic.

In order to sell 10 million, it would have to hit around 4.8-5 million in the US (with EU making up around 4.5 million, since it's not gonna sell more than 700-800k in Japan)

That's not going to happen, not by a longshot.

Mael

Nuclear Muffin said:
In order to sell 10 million, it would have to hit around 4.8-5 million in the US (with EU making up around 4.5 million, since it's not gonna sell more than 700-800k in Japan)

That's not going to happen, not by a longshot.

I didn't mean reaching 10 Mil, I meant doing better than OoT, sorry if I wasn't clear.

Nuclear Muffin said:

I reckon it'll probably end up roughly matching Zelda TP's total sales (i.e GCN + Wii), meaning that it'll outsell TP Wii.
edit: my mind if fucked up!

It'll definitely sell over 1m in Japan.

AniHawk

walking fiend said:
It'll definitely outsell TP on Wii.

1. TP sold like 1 million on GC, so it actually sold close to 4m, SS should sell more than 1m less than TP not to crack 3m.
2. TP was a Wii launch title and it wasn't an ever green title, Wii installed based has grown considerably since then
3. SS seems to be a much more important entry in the series than TP ever was
4. Wii hasn't been getting any good game since last year holiday, people starve for a good game.
5. It'll be bundled with a golden remote and its box art looks amazing.
6. It apparently is the first hardcore game to get motion controls right.
(7. We may get Wii bundles, thought it totally may or may not happen)

There are so many reasons for Skyward Sword to over perform, I wouldn't be surprised if the game manages to crack 10 million World Wide, definitely over 3m in the US in few months.

1. tp did sell about 4m combined between the two versions, that's true (which actually makes it the top-selling zelda game in the states ignoring remakes). i don't know what you are saying in the rest of this part
2. while not an evergreen title, the game had some good legs. again, it's been released as a budget title too. so the total number of copies sold will continue to grow
3. this doesn't matter as far as sales are concerned
4. this is actually a reason why the sales for skyward sword won't be a big hit. a starved userbase is likely to move on to something else completely than wait for just that one thing and snatch it up
5. again, doesn't matter to sales
6. this is something that will alienate some longtime zelda fans as well as people who are part of the just dance crowd

CassSept

Nuclear Muffin said:

Looking at sales, did first Zelda's 6.5 figure include 1.7 from FDS? If not, then well, first entry sold better.

It might have a shot at 10 mil. There is a very small chance of that, but then again, Wii's userbase is unparalleled in Nintendo's (home consoles) history.

Edit: Hell, I forgot about WM+. This may have quite an effect on sales.

walking fiend said:
It'll definitely sell over 1m in Japan.

You do realise that no Zelda has ever sold more than 1m in Japan since the very original Zelda 1 for the Famicom, don't you?

CassSept said:
Looking at sales, did first Zelda's 6.5 figure include 1.7 from FDS? If not, then well, first entry sold better.

It might have a shot at 10 mil. There is a very small chance of that, but then again, Wii's userbase is unparalleled in Nintendo's (home consoles) history.

It's also a userbase that has been massively neglected and abused by 3rd party publishers. You're asking for Zelda SS to outsell SMG1 and SM64. That's a really tall order!

But it doesn't have to do the impossible to be a huge success. Selling 6 million WW would be an enormous accomplishment.

Mael

Nuclear Muffin said:
You do realise that no Zelda has ever sold more than 1m in Japan since the very original Zelda 1 for the Famicom, don't you?

didn't PH come close or is my memory that rusty?

Mael said:
didn't PH come close or is my memory that rusty?

Yes, it did around 800k. It's the 2nd best selling game in the series in Japan IIRC.

CassSept said:
Edit: Hell, I forgot about WM+. This may have quite an effect on sales.

Nah I doubt it. WM+ has a penetration rate of about 80-90% now (going by Wii Sports Resort sales, Wii's sold with the Motionplus and Wiimote Plus bundled in and old figures for standalone sales) Any effect it would have would be a tiny statistical blip at best.

Mael

Nuclear Muffin said:
Yes, it did around 800k. It's the 2nd best selling game in the series in Japan IIRC.
ST numbers must have been crushing for them considering....

Nuclear Muffin said:

That makes the whole 'let's never make a Zelda play like Zelda 1' thing they've been doing a little surprising then....

Nuclear Muffin said:
It's also a userbase that has been massively neglected and abused by 3rd party publishers. You're asking for Zelda SS to outsell SMG1 and SM64. That's a really tall order!

But it doesn't have to do the impossible to be a huge success. Selling 6 million WW would be an enormous accomplishment.

Bah it can certainly do better than Tp when all is said and done.
It also depends on the final product though.
I mean 3rd parties couldn't stop NSMBW from smashing everything in its path.

CassSept

Nuclear Muffin said:
Yes, it did around 800k. It's the 2nd best selling game in the series in Japan IIRC.q
A tad over 900k even.

Nah I doubt it. WM+ has a penetration rate of about 80-90% now (going by Wii Sports Resort sales, Wii's sold with the Motionplus and Wiimote Plus bundled in and old figures for standalone sales) Any effect it would have would be a tiny statistical blip at best.
Ah ok, it was kind of a shot in the dark as I had no idea what the WM+ penetration is. Your guess is far bigger than what I've expected.

AniHawk

Nuclear Muffin said:

top 10 zelda games in japan:

1. the legend of zelda: 1.69m
2. adventures of link: 1.61m
3. a link to the past: 1.16m
4. ocarina of time: 1.14m
5. phantom hourglass: 900k
6. the wind waker: 742k
7. spirit tracks: 677k
8. majora's mask: 600k
9. twilight princess: 554k
10. link's awakening: 540k

AniHawk said:
1. tp did sell about 4m combined between the two versions, that's true (which actually makes it the top-selling zelda game in the states ignoring remakes). i don't know what you are saying in the rest of this part
2. while not an evergreen title, the game had some good legs. again, it's been released as a budget title too. so the total number of copies sold will continue to grow
3. this doesn't matter as far as sales are concerned
4. this is actually a reason why the sales for skyward sword won't be a big hit. a starved userbase is likely to move on to something else completely than wait for just that one thing and snatch it up
5. again, doesn't matter to sales
6. this is something that will alienate some longtime zelda fans as well as people who are part of the just dance crowd
1. I am saying that you believe it will sell more than 1 million less than TP?
2. It is only 200K short than 3m, it may sell more, but 200K isn't much; in the end it may not reach TP if it continues to sell like another 1m, but TP hasn't reach 2.8m by being a budget release.
3. I'd say it does, if solely because they will market it more intensely. They started both e3 and their 3DS conference with SS, they are releasing a Wiimote bundle, it includes a score CD, and that's just what we have seen yet. I am sure they will do usual marketing more intensely as well.
4. It's a Nintendo game, and it's a Zelda, there's nothing to replace it, specially in the action-adventure genre that lacks multi-million sellers in general. If Zelda was a fps, sure. People don't buy GeoW or BF because they are starved for Zelda.
5. Of course it does! Link's Crossbow Training? You believe 2 million people wanted either Zapper or Cross Bow training, but had to buy both?
6. Not when it seems to be one of the best games of this generation.

Mael

AniHawk said:

Going by that, it's safe to say that OoT is the limit it can reach in Japan I'd say.
Tp was made for the Western market anyway so it was never going to do that well there anyway (heck it's the 1rst title to not have a proper japanese title IIRC)

walking fiend said:
2. It is only 200K short than 3m, it may sell more, but 200K isn't much; in the end it may not reach TP, but TP hasn't reach 2.8m by being a budget release.
3. I'd say it does, if solely because they will market it more intensely. They started both e3 and their 3DS conference with this, they are releasing a Wiimote bundle, it includes a score CD, and that's just what we have seen yet.
4. It's a Nintendo game, and it's Zelda, there's nothing to replace it, specially in the action-adventure genre that lacks multi-million sellers in general. If Zelda was a fps, sure.
5. Of course it does! Link's Crossbow Training? You believe 2 million people wanted either Zapper or Cross Bow training, but had to buy both?
Huh there was no way in hell I was buying the Zapper alone and then LCT was a nice use of TP assets anyway.
But I can see people buying the bundle for the Zapper more than anything.

Oh and best game of the generation? According to who?
Because as far as I can tell it means jackshit in term of sales.
I agree with the market though NSMBW is the best mario game since the NES entries.

Mael said:
ST numbers must have been crushing for them considering....

Spirit Tracks still sold about 650k. It's not as good as PH but its still pretty good in context of typical series sales.

Mael said:
That makes the whole 'let's never make a Zelda play like Zelda 1' thing they've been doing a little surprising then....

Phantom Hourglass was meant to be like a return to the style of gameplay seen in the original NES Zelda (in terms of game structure, not necessarily difficulty or control) and it ended up being the 2nd 5th biggest seller in the series...

Mael said:
Bah it can certainly do better than Tp when all is said and done.
It also depends on the final product though.
I mean 3rd parties couldn't stop NSMBW from smashing everything in its path.

Oh yeah no doubt it can do better than TP in the end (and I think it might beat both the Wii and GCN versions combined when all is said and done) but that was a very different time. Back in 2009, the Wii at least still had some life left in it. It was after the great drought of 2008 (the one that completely killed the console's momentum) but it came off the heels of WSR and Wii Fit Plus with an awesome 1,2,3 punch. Zelda SS is all on its own however and there has been absolutely nothing worthy of note released all year (unless you live in Europe ;) ) Any smidgen of momentum that the Wii has had is now completely gone. The market isn't nearly as healthy as it was back then.

AniHawk said:

Oh. Looks like I grossly misremembered the sales of the series pre Majora's Mask!

Either way. 1m seems out of reach for SS.

Orgen

Nuclear Muffin said:

Nuclear Muffin said:

Check your facts before lecturing someone else, please (thanks for the list AniHawk).

AniHawk

walking fiend said:
2. It is only 200K short than 3m, it may sell more, but 200K isn't much; in the end it may not reach TP, but TP hasn't reach 2.8m by being a budget release.
3. I'd say it does, if solely because they will market it more intensely. They started both e3 and their 3DS conference with this, they are releasing a Wiimote bundle, it includes a score CD, and that's just what we have seen yet.
4. It's a Nintendo game, and it's Zelda, there's nothing to replace it, specially in the action-adventure genre that lacks multi-million sellers in general. If Zelda was a fps, sure.

1. oh. yes, i'm saying that.
2. however, it will sell an additional couple hundred thousand by being a budget release if past history is anything to go by. the wind waker got about an extra 400k-500k out if it by being a player's choice game back in the day
3. you forget that it's coming out against SKYRIM and UNCHARTED and ASSASSIN'S CREED and a lot of other games that not only have had a ton of hype since e3, but appeal more to today's mainstream gamer.
4. didn't help super mario galaxy 2 much. although i think ease of play will be a large factor into skyward sword's continuing success
5. what? i'm pretty sure the only option in most cases was to actually buy the zapper with crossbow training. that won't be the case with skyward sword.
6. yeah, didn't help super mario galaxy 2. won't help rayman origins much either. it's going to come down to how easily people can understand and navigate the game world. you can do that in a 2d platformer much easier than a 3d action-adventure game, and for a lot of hardcore fans, you can do that with a 360 controller a lot easier than you can do it with a wii remote and nunchuk.

Mael

Nuclear Muffin said:
Spirit Tracks still sold about 650k. It's not as good as PH but its still pretty good in context of typical series sales.

Yes but it reached the bargain bin there, not exactly what happens with Zelda usually

Nuclear Muffin said:
Phantom Hourglass was meant to be like a return to the style of gameplay seen in the original NES Zelda (in terms of game structure, not necessarily difficulty or control) and it ended up being the 2nd biggest seller in the series...
Ah? then it's a massive failure in that regard then...
I mean it's totally unlike Zelda 1 in term of structure.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Oh yeah no doubt it can do better than TP in the end (and I think it might beat both the Wii and GCN versions combined when all is said and done) but that was a very different time. Back in 2009, the Wii at least still had some life left in it. It was after the great drought of 2008 (the one that completely killed the console's momentum) but it came off the heels of WSR and Wii Fit Plus with an awesome 1,2,3 punch. Zelda SS is all on its own however and there has been absolutely nothing worthy of note released all year (unless you live in Europe ;) ) Any smidgen of momentum that the Wii has had is now completely gone. The market isn't nearly as healthy as it was back then.
I do live in Europe :p
I'd agree that the conditions are not healthy AT ALL.
But still I firmly believe that nsmbw would have sold as well in pretty much any timeframe.
I mean NSMB is still full priced in 2011 nearly a year after the release of the 3DS!
It's nowhere to be found used too, I didn't check for nsmbw but it might be the same situation.
What I mean is NSMBW is an ever green anyway so market trend don't apply so well since it's pretty much a trend setter.
If SS can manage that, then it's golden....But I pretty much doubt that it will be the case though

Mael said:
Going by that, it's safe to say that OoT is the limit it can reach in Japan I'd say.
Tp was made for the Western market anyway so it was never going to do that well there anyway (heck it's the 1rst title to not have a proper japanese title IIRC)
I totally expect a SS Wii bundle in Japan, though maybe I am wrong. Chris said there will be like 5 bundles there.

Oh and best game of the generation? According to who?
Because as far as I can tell it means jackshit in term of sales.
I agree with the market though NSMBW is the best mario game since the NES entries.
of course, I am basing this on SS actually turning out a better game than TP, and probably even better than OoT.

Huh there was no way in hell I was buying the Zapper alone and then LCT was a nice use of TP assets anyway.
But I can see people buying the bundle for the Zapper more than anything.
3m million Zappers to play what fps game on Wii exactly?

Mael

walking fiend said:
I totally expect a SS Wii bundle in Japan, though maybe I am wrong. Chris said there will be like 5 bundles there.
I'm not aware of that, I'm only basing my view on the design philosophy behind the game more than anything.

walking fiend said:
of course, I am basing this on SS actually turning out a better game than TP, and probably even better than OoT.
Well yeah I think we can all agree on this.

walking fiend said:
3m million Zappers to play what fps game on Wii exactly?
COD? HotD? Goldeneye? MW? Cond... nah you may have a point.

Salih

radcliff said:
Donkey Kong Country Returns 2.35

29uubee.gif

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
10 million worldwide for Skyward Sword? Don't think so.

Get real, market-wise Zelda has stopped being hot after A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time. There is also no reason to damage control the sales of TP compared to Crossbow Training. Sure, it might have sold 900k on the Gamecube, but that's still less than CT. Think about it: a Zelda game that appeared on two systems (as a launch title for one of them to boot) was outsold by a spin-off. That's how hot Zelda is right now.

I don't see anything in Skyward Sword that would make people go crazy over it. Sure, it has good motion controls and it looks gorgeous, but what keeps Zelda from selling isn't the controls or the graphics. It's the core of the formula and the gameplay itself that would need to change. From what we know about the game, nothing has changed much in those regard.

Now, Nintendo will push the game like crazy, there's a golden Wiimote bundle, and it is true that apart from Wii Sports Resort it's probably the most precise motion controls yet. It's also the first Wii-only Zelda. I expect the game to perform on par or slightly better than TP Wii + GC (which sold around 6 million copies). More than 7-8 million copies worldwide when all is said and done is wishful thinking IMO.

Cipherr said:
Considering they had to put next to no money into developing this, I still cannot even begin to think why they did not go all in right after this released with similarly veined RE titles. All the momentum in the world, squandered on light gun shit that wasnt really even in the same genre. Really weird.

What kind of investment were you expecting exactly? Betcha they put more $$$ into it than the HD console versions.

mclem

Nuclear Muffin said:
So why aren't we seeing more 2D platform games from 3rd parties?

I'm trying to work out if Epic were to release Jazz Jackrabbit Wii if it would be a *massive* troll (No UE for you!) or *utterly awesome*.

Probably both.

AniHawk said:
1. oh. yes, i'm saying that.
2. however, it will sell an additional couple hundred thousand by being a budget release if past history is anything to go by. the wind waker got about an extra 400k-500k out if it by being a player's choice game back in the day
3. you forget that it's coming out against SKYRIM and UNCHARTED and ASSASSIN'S CREED and a lot of other games that not only have had a ton of hype since e3, but appeal more to today's mainstream gamer.
4. didn't help super mario galaxy 2 much. although i think ease of play will be a large factor into skyward sword's continuing success
5. what? i'm pretty sure the only option in most cases was to actually buy the zapper with crossbow training. that won't be the case with skyward sword.
6. yeah, didn't help super mario galaxy 2. won't help rayman origins much either. it's going to come down to how easily people can understand and navigate the game world. you can do that in a 2d platformer much easier than a 3d action-adventure game, and for a lot of hardcore fans, you can do that with a 360 controller a lot easier than you can do it with a wii remote and nunchuk.
1. Well, I believe you are wrong.

2. I don't argue that if TP in the end may sell more than SS; what I am saying, is TP is only 200K short of 3m, not 400-500K or more. Yes, if TP with its budget release and GC version reaches 5m, SS is very unlikely to sell that much.

3. Two of those game are M rated, one is ARPG, and I don't see them much relevant to Zelda and Wii demographic at all. U3 is PS3 exclusive and definitely not anywhere as major as a mainline Zelda game, and even U3 is quite a different game than Zelda in many ways. Anyhow, even GeoW coming out just one month before BF and MW didn't prevent it selling 3m in one week, while although it is much different but at least it is much closer in genre and demographic to those two games than the games you mentioned compared to Zelda.

4. Because there are games to replace SMG2. NSMB? Not to mention other Nintendo platformers with similar tones (SMG1, DKCR, Kirby). It was the 3rd console mario game to come out in almost 4 years as well, not the first mainline Zelda game to come out in 5 years.

5. The point is, buy Zapper to play what beside Cross Bow Training?
Also, the demographic that are interested in a limited edition golden Wiimote that is bundled with SS, is much different than those in Fling Smash or Resort (whatever the name of the game is)

6. Rayman Origins is irrelevant, it doesn't have a very strong installed fanbase and is not from Nintendo and is not a Zelda, it just seems to be a very good game in a genre dominated by Nintendo.
SMG2, as I mentioned why, is not a good benchmark either. SMG (like NSMB), however, uses motion control and it has sold almost as good Mario 64. And I believe if SMG2 wasn't released, SMG would have continued to sell better.
SS would't be possible with a regular controller, and definitely sword play seems to be the greatest improvement in Zelda history in terms of battle mechanism, for better.

Anyhow, I am not saying it is going to sell as much as sports resort or NSMB, but as much as SMG.

Orgen

walking fiend said:

You've been replied enough but regarding this I've been told that SS isn't a better game than TP or OOT, just different like Wind Waker was (a love/hate game in the series with no universal appraisal like OOT for example).

By the way it doesn't matter if it's the game of the generation or not, is highly unlikely that SS will sell 10 million WW (or more than 1 million in Japan) but we'll see what happens (my prediction: 800.000 Japan, 6m WW).

AniHawk

walking fiend said:
1. Well, I believe you are wrong.

2. I don't argue that if TP in the end may sell more than SS; what I am saying, is TP is only 200K short of 3m, not 400-500K or more. Yes, if TP with its budget release and GC version reaches 5m, SS is very unlikely to sell that much.

3. Two of those game are M rated, one is ARPG, and I don't see them much relevant to Zelda and Wii demographic at all. U3 is PS3 exclusive and definitely not anywhere as major as a mainline Zelda game, and even U3 is quite a different game than Zelda in many ways. Anyhow, even GeoW coming out just one month before BF and MW didn't prevent it selling 3m in one week, while it is much closer in genre and demographic to those two games.

4. Because there are games to replace SMG2. NSMB? Not to mention other Nintendo platformers with similar tones (SMG1, DKCR, Kirby). It was the 3rd console mario game to come out in almost 4 years as well, not the first mainline Zelda game to come out in 5 years.

5. The point is, buy Zapper to play what beside Cross Bow Training?
Also, the demographic that are interested in a limited edition golden Wiimote that is bundled with SS, is much different than those in Fling Smash or Resort (whatever the name of the game is)

6. Rayman Origins is irrelevant, it doesn't have a very strong installed fanbase and is not from Nintendo and is not a Zelda, it just seems to be a very good game in a genre dominated by Nintendo.
SMG2, as I mentioned why, is not a good benchmark either. SMG, however, uses motion control and it has sold almost as good Mario 64. And I believe if SMG2 wasn't released, SMG would have continued to sell better.
SS would't be possible with a regular controller, and definitely sword play seems to be the greatest improvement in Zelda history in terms of battle mechanism, for better.

Anyhow, I am not saying it is going to sell as much as sports resort or NSMB, but as much as SMG.

just to reiterate, 2m+ for skyward sword is the range i'm expecting it to do. to me, that's essentially tww range. for skyward sword, that will be a pretty good mark for it in the long run, considering the successor to the wii is coming out next year and might cut off its legs a bit.

the type of people who will buy skyward sword are: crazed zelda fans/nintendo faithful, and otherwise hardcore gamers. the latter group is more interested in stuff like skyrim and assassin's creed these days. their money is going to be less focused on the casual wii and one of its motion-controlled games.

zelda has consistently come in under mario in terms of sales ever since always. this will not change. and if gamers didn't make smg2 a giant game (3m in months, let's say), the same won't happen to skyward sword, despite whatever hype it may get.

You've been replied enough but regarding this I've been told that SS isn't a better game than TP or OOT, just different like Wind Waker was (a love/hate game in the series with no universal appraisal like OOT for example).

By the way it doesn't matter if it's the game of the generation or not, is highly unlikely that SS will sell 10 million WW (or more than 1 million in Japan) but we'll see what happens (my prediction: 800.000 Japan, 6m WW).
if what you say does happen and SS doesn't turn out to be as good as game as OoT at least, I don't expect it to be much different than what you predicted.

if gamers didn't make smg2 a giant game (3m in months, let's say), the same won't happen to skyward sword, despite whatever hype it may get.
what's with your obsession with SMG2, really? I myself haven't bought SMG2 just because I haven't got all the stars in SMG yet, the day I do, I'll get SMG2.

AniHawk

walking fiend said:
if what you say does happen and SS doesn't turn out to be as good as game as OoT at least, I don't expect it to different than what you predicted.

I don't get your obsession with SMG2, really. I myself didn't bought SMG2 just because I hadn't got all the stars in SMG yet, the day I do, I'll get SMG2.

i bring up smg2 because it's a recent high-profile, highly-acclaimed 3d nintendo game for the wii, and its sales are a better indicator with regards to any upcoming nintendo game of that sort, especially given the current enthusiasm for the wii and wii games.

AniHawk said:
i bring up smg2 because it's a recent high-profile, highly-acclaimed 3d nintendo game for the wii, and its sales are a better indicator with regards to any upcoming nintendo game of that sort, especially given the current enthusiasm for the wii and wii games.
if it wasn't on a platform with several other high-profile games from exactly the same developer, in the same genre, with the same tone and rating and demographic; and wasn't a numbered sequel to a game that itself is a second important entry in the franchise after 2D games instead of being mainline; and if it wasn't exactly a continuation of the original; and if was getting this much hype and marketing actions and incentives from Nintendo, yes it would be a good benchmark.

The only similar things between SMG2 and SS is 1. being on Wii in almost the same year 2. being from Nintendo 3. SS getting probably that high level of acclaim.

Every other things relevant to sales is quite different.

Orgen

walking fiend said:
if what you say does happen and SS doesn't turn out to be as good as game as OoT at least, I don't expect it to be much different than what you predicted.

I don't know if the game will be better than OOT (my info is from someone who has beaten the game, so it's subjective) but are you telling me that:

If it's a 9,5-10 game it'll sell 10m WW?

If it's an 8-8,5 game it'll sell 6m WW?

If it's that then you don't know what you are talking about, sorry.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Mmh, the difference between Galaxy and Galaxy 2 has a precise reason: for Galaxy, we have almost 4 years counted... while for Galaxy 2, less than one year and half. It's obvious why there's so much difference...and Galaxy 2 has not been launched near Christmas.
...And there can be also a factor determined by userbase's disaffection towards the console, but it's especially the different periods considered.

Orgen said:
I don't know if the game will be better than OOT (my info is from someone who has beaten the game, so it's subjective) but are you telling me that:

If it's a 9,5-10 game it'll sell 10m WW?

If it's an 8-8,5 game it'll sell 6m WW?

If it's that then you don't know what you are talking about, sorry.
I am saying if it turns out to be a universal GOTY contender, and in the end turn up winning many GOTY awards despite of very other high profile games being released this year on different platforms, and people in general claim it to be better in general , that to me means it'll be as good as OoT as current perception of gamers go. However, I am not saying for game selling 10m WW, necessarily this needs to happen, it will be a normal consequence of it; being as good as OoT would inherently mean that every Zelda fan and many new comers, will want to play the game. Also it means that Nintendo will spend more on marketing as they would see the potential of the game, and would mean that we will see much more word of mouth effect.

Brandon F said:
A useless piece of plastic IS better than TP afterall...

That piece of plastic is kind of fun for House of the Dead and Ghost Squad. And Crossbow Training was actually a fun little game.

Not that it should have outsold TP, mind you.

Orgen

walking fiend said:
I am saying if it turns out to be a universal GOTY contender, and in the end turn up winning many GOTY awards despite of very other high profile games being released this year on different platforms, and people in general claim it to be better in general , that to me means it'll be as good as OoT as current perception of gamers go. However, I am not saying for game selling 10m WW, necessarily this needs to happen, it will be a normal consequence of it; being as good as OoT would inherently mean that every Zelda fan and many new comers, will want to play the game. Also it means that Nintendo will spend more on marketing as they would see the potential of the game, and would mean that we will see much more word of mouth effect.

SS won't have the hype and GOTY awards OOT had. And OOT didn't sell 10m WW, so SS won't do it either (and I know the N64 isn't the Wii but the point remains).

And I know the GOTY case is not your only argument to validate your opinion but your other arguments (some of them really absurds like the boxart) have been refuted by other posters like Anihawk.

TwIsTeD

Looking at those numbers you see why Nintendo focuses on the casual audience, LoZ:TP and all of the Super Mario Galaxy #s are shit for what great games they are.

The only redemption is Super Smash Bros.

Cornbread78

radcliff said:
Thought this might be interesting for Sales-Age. According to NP, the #s (in millions) are as of August NPD:

Just Dance 2 5.09
Guitar Hero III 2.76
Just Dance 2.71
LEGO Star Wars: Complete Saga 2.48
Carnival Games 1.88
Michael Jackson: Experience 1.88
EA Sports Active 1.56
Zumba Fitness: Join the Party 1.42
Deca Sports 1.35
Rayman Raving Rabbids 1.28
LEGO Batman 1.17
Cooking Mama: Cook Off 1.08
LEGO Indiana Jones: Original Adventures 1.08
Wipeout: The Game 1.06
Star Wars: Force Unleashed 1.06
Resident Evil 4 1.05
Guitar Hero World Tour 1.02
Rock Band Special Edition 1.01
Call of Duty: World at War 1.01

Looking at these numbers it makes you thjink more and more how Nintendo is going to fix their 3rd party issues with the Wii U? Even worse, out of those games only two real adult (Mature) titles exist on that list.

Resident Evil 4 1.05
Call of Duty: World at War 1.01

Mael

Orgen said:
SS won't have the hype and GOTY awards OOT had. And OOT didn't sell 10m WW, so SS won't do it either (and I know the N64 isn't the Wii but the point remains).

And I know the GOTY case is not your only argument to validate your opinion but your other arguments (some of them really absurds like the boxart) have been refuted by other posters like Anihawk.

arguing that GOTY awards will have any impact on the market is like arguing that Famitsu's scores are indication of quality.

Looking at those numbers you see why Nintendo focuses on the casual audience, LoZ:TP and all of the Super Mario Galaxy #s are shit for what great games they are.

I love how NSMBW is suddenly a casual game.

AntMurda

TwIsTeD said:

Still there are spectacular games like Mario Kart and New Super Mario Bros. that manage to crossover to both extreme demographics. This is what they need to balance with their Mii based games.

PooBone said:
There's a LOT of very shitty games in there.

Not really. There's a few proper stinkers in there, but for the most part they're competent pieces of software that do what they want to reasonably well.

Not interesting you is different to not being good.

Orgen said:

You don't how it will turn out. But if it does indeed turn out as good a game as OoT, for several reasons it won't be the same as OoT on N64.

And I like how you took that one cover art point out of my sentence, and show it as something absurd; which of course even this obviously least effective point among all I mentioned will affect how the game sells from a marketing point of view when it is put on the shelves.

Anyhow, arguing this further won't really be of any point. We just have to wait a few months and see if in fact the game turns out as good as I presume, how much it will sell.

Top Bottom