• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power Reviews SSBB: Best Nintendo Game Yet?

Borys

Banned
So Tales of Symphonia is the rumoured "MEGATON" RPG for the Wii?

:lol @ people thinking it would be Skies 2 or Kingdom Hearts 3.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Borys said:
So Tales of Symphonia is the rumoured "MEGATON" RPG for the Wii?

:lol @ people thinking it would be Skies 2 or Kingdom Hearts 3.

We got a thread for that, ya know?

Darkpen said:
I'm disappointed. They didn't give it 11/10?
Wait for this italian mag, that gave Galaxy a 11/10.

avw36vug1s3t0pdzp.jpg

me buying NP confirmed.

no, everyone knows Ocarina of time will not be replaced. maybe galaxy but im not sure.

Wii wins console wars confirmed.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Is NP worth subscribing to these days? I got the first 100 issues or so, then stopped after that. I'm really digging the cover art on this one though, makes me consider resubscribing.

Firestorm

Ermac said:
Is NP worth subscribing to these days? I got the first 100 issues or so, then stopped after that. I'm really digging the cover art on this one though, makes me consider resubscribing.

Yeah. It's cheap and the content's pretty good nowadays. The issue before this one has the exclusive reveal on the Bioware Sonic RPG (with interview), an interview about Super Mario Galaxy, and a look at Okami's art (with interview).

Basch

Ermac said:

I'm beginning to think I should resubscribe as well. My subscription ran out two months ago, I believe. But from what I remember, it was pretty good.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Nonno Mario said:
Italians do it better!!! :D

Good record label.

And as for the review: Hopefully this will be the second in a long line of perfect scores from the gaming press. Even though the first 2 Smash games didn't receive stellar reviews.

i can say without out a doubt that i will never buy this game.

i bought super smash bros melee after all the hype that title received and i hated it.

meh

g.r.e.

slaughterking said:
Wait for this italian mag, that gave Galaxy a 11/10.

avw36vug1s3t0pdzp.jpg
Weird.:lol
But, hey, it's Galaxy:D

BTW, we already know this game...what's new?
The new title?:lol

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Brawl has the option to make jumps button-only

That feature alone makes this game that much better gameplay wise. I can't STAND the up jumping in 64 and melee. it ruined countless amounts of my normal, non-smash up attacks.

Redd

SpinningBirdKick said:

i bought super smash bros melee after all the hype that title received and i hated it.

meh

Sucks for you, but at least you gave Melee a chance.

Basch said:
Metroid Prime 3 was the last game to get a perfect score. They don't hand 'em out too often. Plus, its Chris Slate. He's a good guy. I like reading his reviews. The content is what matters, anyways. :D

They gave MP3 a 10/10 and not galaxy? Hmm...

Amir0x

Banned
SpinningBirdKick said:

meh

I'm actually considering NOT buying this after hearing the Mother remixes and Pikmin remixes and viewing some video of those stages... I feel I've evaporated any reason I have to actually buy it. Still probably will end up with it though, I recognize my friends probably want to play it.

For some, I'm sure SSBB will offer enough fanservicey goodness to actually be the best Nintendo game yet. For the rest of us, Super Mario Galaxy is the best game Wii has and will ever have so no chance here for SSBB :D

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wait, MP3 got a 10? I thought it was the same as Zelda: TP with a 9.5?

GaryD

So this game has some sort of side on beat em up game as well as the usual fighting style? I've only played 1 on 1 in the gamecube smash brothers for 1/2 an hour so I'm not sure what it's all about.

CrisKre

MP3 is completely deserving of a 10 IMO (though galaxy is too).

NP has been pretty good with its reviews in the past year or so. No reason to doubt this one.

SexConker

Banned
Cynar said:
I don't see what's old school about pressing up for jump since you could jump with the c buttons in n64(which I've always done) and x or y in melee. Mistakes can be made when doing up tilts if you have up for jump enabled.

I welcome disabling that with open arms. :D

Jumping with the stick is the best, and gives you a little bit more height (very little, but it's there).

Alts

SexConker said:
Jumping with the stick is the best, and gives you a little bit more height (very little, but it's there).

Except it doesn't. Plus, controlling the direction of jumps is far better with a button.

Jiggy

GaryD said:
So this game has some sort of side on beat em up game as well as the usual fighting style?
Yes, there's a single-player (or two-player co-op) beat-em-up. Most early impressions say they're taking around 8-10 hours to beat it.

Tristam

Oblivion said:
Wait, MP3 got a 10? I thought it was the same as Zelda: TP with a 9.5?

Yes, Metroid Prime 3 got a 10. TP (and Ocarina, IIRC) scored 9.5s.

I wouldn't have given MP3 a 10 at all. But still a very solid 9!

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I thought IGN was disappointed with Subspace.

This is why I don't believe in 10/10 reviews. It's impossible to be perfect.

aeolist

Banned
I am actually expecting lower scores from most other critics. For some reason game journalists don't seem to be too much into Smash Bros, so I'm predicting we see a lot of bitching about the online aspects and 8-9 reviews.

Which aren't bad, but in my mind this game easily measures up to the Halos and Metal Gear Solids of every generation.

Jiggy

John Harker said:
Yeah, but apparently Nintendo Power, GAF importers and J-GAFfers, and for that matter most other forumgoers whose impressions I've read certainly aren't.

IzumiK

Banned
birdman said:
Nintendo Power giving a Nintendo IP top scoring?!? I've never heard of such a thing!

GreenNight said:
Before anyone says that 'of course it would get 10/10 from Nintendo Power', the new editorial staff has been pretty harsh on games.

So I guess all the rebuttals vindicate Sony Mags from saying how good their games are eh?

Gigglepoo

aeolist said:
I am actually expecting lower scores from most other critics. For some reason game journalists don't seem to be too much into Smash Bros, so I'm predicting we see a lot of bitching about the online aspects and 8-9 reviews.

Despite having the same core gameplay mechanic as the last game, I still expect Brawl to get very few sub-9 scores. It just has too many modes and options to ignore. I'm sure there will be a few smaller sites with dissenting scores that complain about the seemingly stagnant gameplay, but I expect the majority of reviewers to embrace the sheer enormity of the game and give it a high score if only for its value.

It's kind of like Halo 3 in that regard. Sure, we've all played it before, but but all the extras make it worthwhile to play through again.

Yeah, being able to disable analog jumping is huge. HUGE.

I'm going to devote the time necessary to get anyone I play with to do it, too...to rely on button jumping only, it's just so much easier/better. IMHO, of course.

Firestorm

John Harker said:

10/10 does not mean perfect.
IGN staff does not work at Nintendo Power.
Every other source says SSE is awesome. The worst I've heard outside IGN is that SSE is "good" and a fun distraction from VS mode.

Amir0x said:
I'm actually considering NOT buying this after hearing the Mother remixes and Pikmin remixes and viewing some video of those stages... I feel I've evaporated any reason I have to actually buy it. Still probably will end up with it though, I recognize my friends probably want to play it.

For some, I'm sure SSBB will offer enough fanservicey goodness to actually be the best Nintendo game yet. For the rest of us, Super Mario Galaxy is the best game Wii has and will ever have so no chance here for SSBB :D

So you might not get it because of two stages and a few songs (out of 100+).

Do the core game mechanics mean nothing to you?

Firestorm

underfooter said:
So you might not get it because of two stages and a few songs (out of 100+).

Do the core game mechanics mean nothing to you?

He doesn't like it. Or does Amir0x mean that he heard the remixes and stages and now there's nothing to get all giddy over so he doesn't want the game anymore? >_>

John Harker said:

In a world where you need a license to review games IGN would've had their review license revoked with their craptastic FE:RD "review" - or in other words, don't listen to IGN.

Firestorm said:
He doesn't like it. Or does Amir0x mean that he heard the remixes and stages and now there's nothing to get all giddy over so he doesn't want the game anymore? >_>

All I know is that Brawl is my favorite game ever and I've never even played it.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Jiggy37 said:
Yes, there's a single-player (or two-player co-op) beat-em-up. Most early impressions say they're taking around 8-10 hours to beat it.

I'd classify it as more of a platformer than a beat-em-up, really.

Though that's probably just because I love platformers but I'm not so fond of beat-em-ups.

Amri0x said:
For some, I'm sure SSBB will offer enough fanservicey goodness to actually be the best Nintendo game yet. For the rest of us, Super Mario Galaxy is the best game Wii has and will ever have so no chance here for SSBB

Or there are those who appreciate the fanservice and the great gameplay. :D

(Yes, I know your feelings about Smash.)

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
who would question the invariable awesome of ex-game players editor chris motherfucking slate?

1zzroz6.jpg

doubters will be fed to gazuga the three-eyed gorilla space emperor

Top Bottom