• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power Reviews SSBB: Best Nintendo Game Yet?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Yeesh. I'm not doubting SSE is cool or fun, but I'm not going to blindly praise a game because its full of fan service. If someone says its 'good' and not amazingiest experience ever that doesn't invalidate their opinion, it simply gives another perspective of the mode. I'm hesitant to put too much faith in reviews like this because I highly suspect it is not the 'best thing ever created' - In this case, I'm reserving judgment till I play it myself, but I'm glad IGN had the galls to point out issues with it. Reviews like this one posted here 10/10ing it and 'not bothering to not pick it or mention negatives' kind of bothers me because it just seems blinded a bit.

I mean, SSE is basically a side scroller using all the same moves from the fighting game. Doesn't seem too deep or anything, it's just a simple, fun, and fill of fan service, but why would you gloss over it and just say it isnt worth listing negatives? Obviously some people would want to know these things.

Docpan

OMG you can disable the up button as a jump? THANK YOU.

That ruined the previous games in the Smash Series for me. One of the worst ideas in gaming history to do that. Thankfully they've corrected it (as an option) in this game.

MisterHero

John Harker said:
Yeesh. I'm not doubting SSE is cool or fun, but I'm not going to blindly praise a game because its full of fan service. If someone says its 'good' and not amazingiest experience ever that doesn't invalidate their opinion, it simply gives another perspective of the mode. I'm hesitant to put too much faith in reviews like this because I highly suspect it is not the 'best thing ever created' - In this case, I'm reserving judgment till I play it myself, but I'm glad IGN had the galls to point out issues with it. Reviews like this one posted here 10/10ing it and 'not bothering to not pick it or mention negatives' kind of bothers me because it just seems blinded a bit.

I mean, SSE is basically a side scroller using all the same moves from the fighting game. Doesn't seem too deep or anything, it's just a simple, fun, and fill of fan service, but why would you gloss over it and just say it isnt worth listing negatives? Obviously some people would want to know these things.
Because the game is love printed on a disc, obviously.

You can't be unbiased about love, can you?

Of course you can fault the game for flaws but you can do that for any game. Even Melee was one of most bountiful single-player experience for fighting game, from Classic, to Adventure, to Events, to Stadium, character/stage unlocking, to trophy collecting. And Brawl improves on that vastly. Not to mention the multiplayer madness. Hoo boy.

John Harker said:
I thought IGN was disappointed with Subspace.

This is why I don't believe in 10/10 reviews. It's impossible to be perfect.

As Firestorm said, 10/10 doesn't literally mean a perfect game, though.

The distinction of being a 10/10 game should represent that the game is undoubtedly among the very very best experiences currently available on that console, and in that generation of gaming. A game doesn't have to be literally flawless to represent that.

Amir0x

Banned
Firestorm said:
He doesn't like it. Or does Amir0x mean that he heard the remixes and stages and now there's nothing to get all giddy over so he doesn't want the game anymore? >_>

Yeah pretty much. It's like, it's not really possible to send Nintendo a message that I want Mother 3 or Pikmin with this title and the stuff they included from the Mother series is Ok, not mindblowing or anything. So in the end it's like "$50 for this? With these gameplay mechanics? With these graphics and flaws?"

I will say, though, Sakurai gets two really big props in my book:

1.) Not even bothering to try to force all users to play with wiimote - tons of controller option. Makes him probably one of the only relevant developers on the Nintendo side, despite the fact that he used this sense to produce Brawl.

2.) The music remixes is insane. 300 some odd songs? Get the hell out. I wish most games dared to go all out like that, music is a big part of games too!

beelzebozo said:
who would question the invariable awesome of ex-game players editor chris motherfucking slate?

1zzroz6.jpg

doubters will be fed to gazuga the three-eyed gorilla space emperor

What's Slate up to these days? Last I saw of him was when I read PSM years ago.

MisterHero said:
Of course you can fault the game for flaws but you can do that for any game. Even Melee was one of most bountiful single-player experience for fighting game, from Classic, to Adventure, to Events, to Stadium, character/stage unlocking, to trophy collecting. And Brawl improves on that vastly. Not to mention the multiplayer madness. Hoo boy.

Bingo to the bolded sentence, especially.

If the game's strengths far far far outweigh the negatives, I'm glad to see those highlighted instead of nitpicking over relatively minor flaws to degrade the overall review. If the game itself feels like a 10/10 experience, and if your personal issues with aspects of it pale in comparison to the strengths on a major scale, then a 100% glowing review is not inappropriate or blind.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
looks like he's reviewing smash brothers for nintendo power! the dude is a hilarious professional. i'd honestly love to see him work at ziff and be on some of their podcasts, or at least do a guest spot on 1up yours or ign's game sages.

i miss all the gameplayers guys :(

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
disappeared said:
What's Slate up to these days? Last I saw of him was when I read PSM years ago.

Read the OP again.

He is Editor in Chief at Nintendo Power

Jiggy

Iam Canadian said:
I'd classify it as more of a platformer than a beat-em-up, really.

Though that's probably just because I love platformers but I'm not so fond of beat-em-ups.
It's difficult to classify because the movement speed for SSE isn't as fast as anything except the very slowest platformers, but it's still several steps faster than quite a number of (even great) beat-em-ups where your only choices of movement speed are walk, walk, and walk and sometimes you don't even have the latter two. Then the other possibility would be a melee combat 2D action game, but the only decent point of comparison I can think of there is Castlevania, which isn't really a perfect comparison because Metroidvania is quite a bit slower, Actionvania is quite a bit stiffer, and even when the two are combined into Julius Mode or Richter Mode or whatever, they're still lacking the sort of mechanics of a beat-em-up, in which the playable characters and enemies generally share the same physics. But then again, in most beat-em-ups there's also four-directional movement on the ground and SSE is just an outright sidescroller, so there's really no perfect comparison I can think of. Maybe I just haven't played enough games?

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I can't think of anything quite like the SSE either, Jiggy.

I still think that the platformer label is valid because, from the footage I've seen, platforming is a major element, perhaps equal to or greater than the combat. Of course, the combat is more involved than in most platformers, and, you're right, it's also slower than most platformers. (Though I'd say it's faster than Classicvania.)

I say we call it a platfomer/beat-em-up hybrid and call it a day. >_>

Azuran

Banned
Greatness Gone said:
THE COVER STORY WAS TOS 2. WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK

I WANT SKIES OF ARCADIA 2 YOU FUCKS

So do I.

Damn it Sega! Please get off you lazy asses so you revive one of your best series.

Firestorm

John Harker said:

I think it's because everythough thought it was going to be a glorified Adventure Mode, but then it completely blew away expectations by being a 10 hour single player adventure. I mean, I seriously think of SSE as the coolest bonus feature of any game. I did not expect this in Brawl. I'm actually thinking it might be too long and too much of a "real" game as I wanted something short I could replay multiple times.

Although there is something to be said for having any included content be the top quality. It's just that I don't think anyone expects SSE to be a 10/10 platformer due to the nature of the game it's featured in. It has less focus on it than Halo 3 or Call of Duty 4's single player. I'd compare it to what the expectations would be if they said they were including a single-player component in Mario Kart.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I remember how I felt when I first learned of Melee's Adventure Mode. I remember envisioning all these grand setpieces, going through side-scrolling versions of classic Nintendo franchises, laying waste to classic enemies....as Ness.

Then we got three side-scrolling stages, a thirty-second long Zebes escape sequence, and the rest was a glorified Classic mode remix. Even the side-scrolling stages we did get were pedestrian and easy. I was disappointed.

SSE is everything I wanted in Melee's Adventure Mode times a thousand.

beelzebozo said:
who would question the invariable awesome of ex-game players editor chris motherfucking slate?

1zzroz6.jpg

doubters will be fed to gazuga the three-eyed gorilla space emperor

Fuck, he's cute lol

Firestorm

Iam Canadian said:
I remember how I felt when I first learned of Melee's Adventure Mode. I remember envisioning all these grand setpieces, going through side-scrolling versions of classic Nintendo franchises, laying waste to classic enemies....as Ness.

Then we got three side-scrolling stages, a thirty-second long Zebes escape sequence, and the rest was a glorified Classic mode remix. Even the side-scrolling stages we did get were pedestrian and easy. I was disappointed.

SSE is everything I wanted in Melee's Adventure Mode times a thousand.

Haha yeah. I was pretty hyped up for Melee as an easily hopeful 12 or 13 year old Nintendo fanboy. What we're getting now is a better version of what I envisioned!

Basch

Azuran said:
So do I.

Damn it Sega! Please get off you lazy asses so you revive one of your best series.

Everyday, I wish Sega would do that. In fact, I think they should create another console. I want to play my Shining Force IV, Panzer Dragoons (maybe something like Saga again), Shenmues, Phantasy Stars, and Skies of Arcadia 2. I know they could pull it off. They just need to get it together. If they didn't have such horrible relations between their own branches, maybe, it would be much easier. Oh yeah. If the rumored day is 09/09/09 ( :D ), please make sure the console is an HD system and is able to support Blu-Ray. It would also need a hard drive. All of those must be built in too, right from the get go. This could give the system some legs to last the duration of the gen. Wishful thinking, I know. But still, I can hope.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Jiggy37 said:
Yeah, but apparently Nintendo Power, GAF importers and J-GAFfers, and for that matter most other forumgoers whose impressions I've read certainly aren't.

I can attest to this.

Subspace is great. (Disclaimer: I've only played 3 hours of it, though... but hell the fact that it's even LONGER THAN 3 HOURS at all when this is suppose to be a multiplayer fighting game says something itself I think :lol)

Maybe if you weren't expecting it to mostly play like a beat-em-up you might not dig it..... but really even then it seems like there is so much there to love that I'd have to call you crazy.

Maybe this is the Nintendo fan boy in me talking though, because a big part of the magic is seeing how they go ALLLLLL OUT with the franchise-crossover stuff :) But my small group of friends and I had a blast with co-op so far.

Firestorm

Azuran said:
So do I.

Do you really want them to? Do you? I mean, I think they had one job in SSBB and it was picking out the music for Sonic. Sonic, one of the best soundtracks in game history. They actually screwed that up.

Docpan said:
OMG you can disable the up button as a jump? THANK YOU.

That ruined the previous games in the Smash Series for me. One of the worst ideas in gaming history to do that. Thankfully they've corrected it (as an option) in this game.

I only use up to jump... so yay?

Jiggy

MrCheez said:
I can attest to this.

Subspace is great. (Disclaimer: I've only played 3 hours of it, though... but hell the fact that it's even LONGER THAN 3 HOURS at all when this is suppose to be a multiplayer fighting game says something itself I think :lol)

Maybe if you weren't expecting it to mostly play like a beat-em-up you might not dig it..... but really even then it seems like there is so much there to love that I'd have to call you crazy.

Maybe this is the Nintendo fan boy in me talking though, because a big part of the magic is seeing how they go ALLLLLL OUT with the franchise-crossover stuff :) But my small group of friends and I had a blast with co-op so far.
I actually had your name listed in the original version of my post along with cvxfreak and RevenantKioku, but then thought it might be better to leave out names just in case anybody I had left out felt slighted or something. >_>

Anyway, yeah, all the videos look to me like this is pretty much what I want!

GDGF

Soothsayer
Chris Slate is a mother fucking pimp. He's been my favorite game journalist since the Game Player's days.

Great score. I can not wait to play.

dude

dude
I'm going to have a party the day this games comes out, we'll take turns playing through SSE on co-op and then play 4 players free for all matches, and there will be alcohol. Best game ever.

MrCheez

Jiggy37 said:
Anyway, yeah, all the videos look to me like this is pretty much what I want!

BTW, it looks like it's pretty challenging too! My co-op buddy and I lost all of our lives on both the second boss and the level that followed :O There are also secret doors and rooms that you can miss in each of the stages.

Also the characters have TONS of personality in the many cinematics that come before and after the stages. This is something I was pleasantly surprised to see and it really adds to the crossover magic :D

Septy

Have any reviewers mentioned stage variety? Most stages that I've seen appear very simple and the Iwata Asks interview has me concerned.

MrCheez

Septy said:
Have any reviewers mentioned stage variety? Most stages that I've seen appear very simple and the Iwata Asks interview has me concerned.

What do you mean by 'simple'? Are you just referring to platform layout, or how many dynamic things (environment effecting gameplay) happen?

If you're worrying about either, don't. :) The selection contains plenty of variety for both of those things

The majority of the stages are a tad smaller than I was hoping for, though. But there are still a handful of big ones

Jiggy

Septy said:
Without spoiling exactly what the stages are that I've watched via YouTube--which is the whole game minus like three stages--there's more than enough variety.

Septy

MrCheez said:
What do you mean by 'simple'? Are you just referring to platform layout, or how many dynamic things (environment effecting gameplay) happen?

If you're worrying about either, don't. :) The selection contains plenty of variety for both of those things

The majority of the stages are a tad smaller than I was hoping for, though. But there are still a handful of big ones

Thanks, I was concerned that most would be variations of Battlefield with a few tweeks here and there. Complex and chaotic stages like Big Blue are what made SSBM memorable for me.

MrCheez

Septy said:
Thanks, I was concerned that most would be variations of Battlefield with a few tweeks here and there. Complex and chaotic stages like Big Blue are what made SSBM memorable for me.

If none of the new stages are complex enough for you, (unlockable stage spoiler -->)
Big Blue is actually a returning stage, so you could still play that. :lol

Jiggy

Just listing only stages revealed on the Dojo and going by what I've seen, I think Rumble Falls, WarioWare (especially WarioWare), Pokemon Stadium 2 (the changes have a great deal more effect than you might think, as opposed to the Melee Stadium where they were mostly the same), and PictoChat should be more than chaotic enough. Even Castle Siege to an extent because of the awkward transition between the three parts, and The Summit as well.

And for the record, I thought Big Blue was the greatest stage ever created for Smash Bros. in the days of Melee--and even though I know all of the Brawl stages, I still think it is. :D

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
IzumiK said:
So I guess all the rebuttals vindicate Sony Mags from saying how good their games are eh?
christ, wtf does that has to do with this thread?

Stormbringer said:
Nice. Is there any other review (No More Heroes,...) ?
Found 'em :

Wii Reviews

* No More Heroes - 8.0/10
* Bomberman Land - 5.0/10
* WWII Aces - 3.0/10
* Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors - 7.0/10

DS Reviews

* Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fate - 7.0/10
* Dungeon Explorer: Warrior of Ancient Arts - 6.5/10
* Mystery Dungeon: Shiren The Wanderer - 6.5/10
* Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney - 8.0/10
* Assassin’s Creed: Altairs Chronicles - 7.5/10