• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Q1: Wii reaches 100 m (3DS 32.48 m/Wii U 3.61 m), Posts Q1 Profit

Bruno MB

Software sales:

Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 1,540,000 / 5,400,000
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon - 1,430,000 / 2,650,000
Tomodachi Collection - 1,390,000

Its all exchange rate gains. They're still at an operating loss.

It's actually just accounting gains. Money that they earned in dollars and kept in dollars is constantly being reevaluated in Yen according to the exchange rate. This affects the book value of these assets.

An operating loss is still an operating loss, but revaluing their assets derived from previous sales is like retroactively posting operating profits from previous quarters.

But yes, the past few quarters have all seen operating losses.

Wii U result is tragic, the 3DS has to be mildly concerning although it had positive momenutum in June, and I'm surprised they haven't already revised down the fiscal year forecasts based on this quarters bad results.

On the plus side, software is up a bit (as to be expected, though).

But that WiiU shipment number is truly pathetic.

Software sales:
Where's Chris1964? I think I'm winning this one :p

Bsigg12

In the US it didn't really go up over last month in the weekly sense, it's just a 5 week month.

It was something like 8.2K per week to 8.4K per week.

Man I'm dumb. I'm looking at numbers like I'm dyslexic, I think it is time for me to go to bed.

Striek

It's actually just accounting gains. Money that they earned in dollars and kept in dollars is constantly being reevaluated in Yen according to the exchange rate. This affects the book value of these assets.

An operating loss is still an operating loss, but revaluing their assets derived from previous sales is like retroactively posting operating profits from previous quarters.

But yet, the past few quarters have all seen operating losses.

Right. I understand that (explained it to someone else in a previous thread even). I think thats implied when you say its exchange rate gains (on book value).

On the plus side, software is up a bit (as to be expected, though).

But that WiiU shipment number is truly pathetic.

It was very good for 3DS software sales wise, positive momentum. But software sales since launch have been really slack for the 3DS in general so theres still work to do bringing up the attach rate of the system. It'll be interesting if they hit their goal for this year.

FZZ

Banned
Software sales:

Damn, no wonder they want to localize Tomodachi Collection in North America.

Its all exchange rate gains. They're still at an operating loss.

I tried looking up operating income vs net income and I'm not exactly sure I got it right.

Is this somewhat correct:

Net Income is the balance when you include their entire cash-flow, this includes loans, investments, exchange rate gains etc. So say that they either cash in on some loan payments, or suddenly their possessions in a foreign currency is appreciated, then that'd raise their net income regardless of what their "day to day" business is doing?

Operating Profit/Loss is what they made on their actual business (ie. selling hardware and software)?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
We knew that Wii U new shipments were low, considering that they weren't unable to sold all the initial ones. There was no cut price, no promotion and no significant software release, even first party (Pikmin is July, Wario isn't significant and was end of June). They were somehow hiding the console waiting for a (possible, not probable imho) relaunch with the new releases. Despite that, software numbers aren't that bad at all, considering the hw situations, for example.

Wii hits the milestone of 100 millions, absolutetly the best console Nintendo ever made in terms of sales success (home side, of course). And aside the dead DS that is now out of track.

3DS is simply a very solid machine up to now, and AC sales will impact positevly its numbers now on, 'til Pokemon (ww) and MH (Japan wise).
Good to see the company not being doomed despite the great issues they are facing with the Wii U, overall.

FY 2013/14 Nintendo Forecast (Unit: Million)
Code:
                3DS       NDS       Wii        Wii U

Hardware        18.00      -        2.00       9.00

Can someone educate me on how year-long projections are made? I'm seeing 0.16M for the Wii U in three months but Nintendo is projecting they'll end up selling 8.84M more in the next nine? Even given a holiday bump that doesn't seem likely to me... but I don't really follow this side of the industry very much.

MrT-Tar

So basically better than expected, with the exception of the WiiU which was pretty terribad (especially in 'rest of world', which includes the U.K which I can vouch for anecdotally)

So what was the Wii U's launch allocation again? It definitely hasn't sold through it's launch batch, but I can't remember it if was 4 or 4.5 million.

They'll be lucky to break 9 million come June next year.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Can someone educate me on how year-long projections are made? I'm seeing 0.16M for the Wii U in three months but Nintendo is projecting they'll end up selling 8.84M more in the next nine? Even given a holiday bump that doesn't seem likely to me... but I don't really follow this side of the industry very much.
You're reading that correctly, and their prediction is exactly as crazy as it sounds.

Nintendo has a perennial habit of missing projections these days, often badly.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ah, right, 3DS software sales are good. 4 millions above what sold last Q1. The 80 millions are reachable, given what's coming later this year.

JoeM86

Console doesn't sell in period where no games came out. Shocking :p

Seriously though, I really hope they can pull out from this. I'm surprised they didn't announce anything to help spur sales with this

Operating loss is severely reduced. Nintendo still turned an overall profit. It could be worse for them, but they NEED to do something

Non-operating income - 20,269, of which FX gains - 16,934.

Hardly the most sustainable recovery for Nintendo's bottom line.

I also don't understand how their forecasts haven't changed either for profit or hardware shipments. Iwata has his head buried firmly in the sand.

Why did they ship that amount of 3DS? It sold much more than that during these three months at retail. Probably still effects from Oct-Dec overshipment.

EDIT: Breakdown from the report

Japan: 640k
Americas: 360k
Rest of the world: 400k

Yeah, undershipment confirmed: just to say, they sold 114 + 115 + 225 = 454k in US alone in these three months.

Massive overshipment in Q4 2012, a lot of retailers are still working through that let alone the shipment from the last quarter. Nintendo have basically just righted their shipments this Q, probably because retailers and distributors went on strike and decided to stop buying Nintendo hardware until they depleted their stock levels to a lower level.

Non-operating income - 20,269, of which FX gains - 16,934.

Hardly the most sustainable recovery for Nintendo's bottom line.

I also don't understand how their forecasts haven't changed either for profit or hardware shipments. Iwata has his head buried firmly in the sand.

On the plus side Iwata doubliung down on his crazy pills will hopefully send him packing at the end of the FY

They are hoping the next quarter gets the fire going that will get them a 4-5 million unit holiday

hahahahaha

antonz

It really just depends on how much momentum they can get going into the holiday season. Holidays tend to be a magical sales time for Nintendo. They just need to get a fire lit under the consumers behind though. If the next quarter doesn't show some significant changes you can expect them to change the numbers.

They are hoping the next quarter gets the fire going that will get them a 4-5 million unit holiday. They really need a massive change in attitude and to start grabbing consumers by the balls to notice

Darryl

Banned

Pretty sure you've got it right. They're either being really stubborn or they've either got a killer app we don't know about yet.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Too bad that hardware forecast is nigh near impossible to reach after a quarter this bad

Well, selling the unsold stock right now helps for selling big amount of stock later this year, I suppose.

P.S. Iwata reiterates that 3DS is gaining momentum in US and Europe and (after all?) they want to help distributing key Japanese titles overseas.

It really just depends on how much momentum they can get going into the holiday season. Holidays tend to be a magical sales time for Nintendo. They just need to get a fire lit under the consumers behind though. If the next quarter doesn't show some significant changes you can expect them to change the numbers.

They are hoping the next quarter gets the fire going that will get them a 4-5 million unit holiday. They really need a massive change in attitude and to start grabbing consumers by the balls to notice

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

4-5m!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MarkusRJR

Yep. Nintendos handhelds in Japan are still strong.
Fixed.

Wii U is pretty much dead in all markets until holidays and 3DS is doing incredible in Japan. The problem is that it's only doing alright in North America and Europe. Typically North America is the biggest market (and their handhelds sell better there compared to even Japan) and yet Japan's 3DS sales double the North American sales. It's really pathetic. NoA is fucking up so hard it seems.

There is magic and then there is this. Doctor Fate and Doctor Strange would have heart attacks trying to figure out a spell to conjure that many sales this holiday.

Krilekk

Banned
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2013/130731e.pdf

Wii U shipments this Q:

Japan : 90k
Americas: 60k
Rest of the world: 10k

Wow, just wow. If retailers order that few units in Europe they haven't even sold through half of the initial launch shipments. Nothing will save the Wii U now, not even Nintendo games. It's just 150 € too extensive. People don't want to pay for some expensive gimmick, the hardware itself sets the price. Just like with X1, all everyone sees is it's 100 € more than PS4 with weaker specs.

They are hoping the next quarter gets the fire going that will get them a 4-5 million unit holiday

Right you are. With 4 first party titles in Japan, and 3 in the rest of the world this quarter, if there's not a decent improvement it's time to start digging 6 feet down. If you can't beat launching Game & Wario in EU/NA's numbers with Pikmin, TW101, and WWHD across NA/JP/EU then you're done.

narton

Nintendo should be happy with software increases on 3ds, but really disappointed that hardware went down year over year for Q1.

Also, interesting that the supplementary info page still lists Mario Golf as coming this summer, even though Iwata said that was pushed back to next year. Whoops.

antonz

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

4-5m!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why don't you read what I said instead of trying to troll.Nintendo hopes they can get momentum going that could lead to that. Its very obvious the odds of such momentum are near non existent.

Its obvious how this discussion is going to go though. The other thread will hit 50 pages before this one hits 5. Another fine example of Neogaf

Vibranium

Banned
Software sales:

So, do these amazing LM numbers means the chances of Next Level Games being allowed to do LM3 and a Wario/Waluigi team-up adventure game went substantially up now? :p

On the FX gains. Smarter Japanese companies have kept them off the books to ensure that they don't post a net profit before tax and end up paying tax on it. From what I remember being told, Japanese companies only have to declare on their income statement FX reserves that they intend to repatriate and income tax must be paid on it.

Nintendo are unnecessarily paying tax on their dollar/euro reserves just so they can show a headline profit and so Iwata can feel better about himself.

Why don't you read what I said instead of trying to troll.Nintendo hopes they can get momentum going that could lead to that. Its very obvious the odds of such momentum are near non existent.

Its obvious how this discussion is going to go though. The other thread will hit 50 pages before this one hits 5. Another fine example of Neogaf

Oh come on, they still are operating at a loss and the only reason they profited was currency gains. Nintendo is in terrible shape and this topic is not more posiyive for them.

Top Bottom