• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo really needs to modernize, at least a little bit.

My kids got me Tears of the Kingdom for Father's Day and while I'm enjoying it, playing it brings back all of the frustrations I had with Breath of the Wild.

I primarily play on my PlayStation 5, my Switch doesn't get much use (outside of Metroid Prime Remastered recently). What I really want, what I've love to see from Nintendo, is basic system wide (and game level too) button remapping. It takes me an exorbitant amount of time to adjust to the... uniqueness of the Switch's layout that I continually press the wrong inputs in TotK. It really doesn't help when I swap back and forth between my PS5 and Switch. Hell, even if I used my XSX this wouldn't be a problem since the layouts and functions are identical between Xbox and PlayStation. Its just good old Nintendo that is the odd man out.

I don't even want them to change the default controls, I just want to be able to freely rebind them. Is this a problem for anyone else?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
My kids got me Tears of the Kingdom for Father's Day and while I'm enjoying it, playing it brings back all of the frustrations I had with Breath of the Wild.

I primarily play on my PlayStation 5, my Switch doesn't get much use (outside of Metroid Prime Remastered recently). What I really want, what I've love to see from Nintendo, is basic system wide (and game level too) button remapping. It takes me an exorbitant amount of time to adjust to the... uniqueness of the Switch's layout that I continually press the wrong inputs in TotK. It really doesn't help when I swap back and forth between my PS5 and Switch. Hell, even if I used my XSX this wouldn't be a problem since the layouts and functions are identical between Xbox and PlayStation. Its just good old Nintendo that is the odd man out.

I don't even want them to change the default controls, I just want to be able to freely rebind them. Is this a problem for anyone else?
Bgd7TwS.png

zVpENEu.png

Last edited:

LakeOf9

Well thank you, I had no idea they added that. Still, I'd like it at a game level too so I don't have to go back in and swap presets when someone else uses the Switch.
ya I agree, the lack of options in Nintendo games is annoying (I wanted to turn off subtitles in TOTK, but I can't)

RickMasters

I know I’m slightly off topic but…. What Id like to see Nintendo do, is get into backwards compatibility. It’s the one reason ive Not really gotten into their consoles in the last few gens. The switch seems great and it’s tempting to me. But until Nintendo do a better job of supporting customers who want to own vast digital libraries going from their current platform to the next and thereafter, I’m reluctant to buy.

Last edited:

Calverz

Gold Member
I have learned over the years that Nintendo does, what Nintendo wants to. You either get on board with that, or drop out. Their way or the high way so to speak. They will die on this hill etc etc etc

Lasha

Can you be specific about what inputs you are missing? I used to have a problem switching from Nintendo/Playstation to Xbox because Xbox has confirm on the bottom button and cancel on the right button. PS/Nintendo were opposite. Sony switched to Xbox style so I'm mostly good except when coming back to PS or PC after a long trip playing switch

Banned

that's a typical casual pleb issue you got there...

Game Smash GIF by Red Bull

also there is a system wide rebind lol

Top Bottom