• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo sells 3 million Wiis in December 2009

gerg

Quelle surprise?

People should have been expecting this.

Edit:
Neuromancer said:
Wouldn't be a little early to have those kinds of numbers?

I'm not sure.

Nintendo has their own internal tracker, iirc.

Onesimos

If the numbers turns out to be true, then that would be a new record for the Wii in the U.S., as the highest I remembed was around two million consoles sold. It is quite high a number as Wii sales last year were down worldwide. The three million number may compensate for the low sales.

wtf_cat.jpg

EXGN

That can't be right. Wii has been tracking below it's 2008 numbers all year, and then all of sudden it does 1 million MORE than it did in December 2008? I was expecting only 1.6-1.8 million

That would be against the trend that we've seen from months before where it was down yoy. What would have caused an yoy increase in December? I don't see nothing. Therefore it's bs.

Onesimos said:
If the numbers turns out to be true, then that would be a new record for the Wii in the U.S., as the highest I remembed was around two million consoles sold. It is quite high a number as Wii sales last year were down worldwide. The three million number may compensate for the low sales.

The article states 2.14 million for December 2008 for the US.

zigg

Apparently NOE's talking about their own records too.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/37017/DS-and-Wii-shatter-Euro-records

The first record is claimed by the DS, which via its various guises (the DS, DS Lite and DSi) has now sold a total of 40m units in Europe – making it the best selling games console the region has ever seen.

In addition, the Wii’s race to 20m unit sales in just over three years makes it the fastest selling console to reach the milestone in the territory.

Today's probably the big "trumpet your sales" day. :D

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
EXGN said:
That can't be right. Wii has been tracking below it's 2008 numbers all year, and then all of sudden it does 1 million MORE than it did in December 2008? I was expecting only 1.6-1.8 million

Never underestimate Mario!

Unless he's 3D.

GCX

EXGN said:
It's the Mario effect.

ksamedi

EXGN said:

in 2008 it was supply constrained and probably didn't reach its full potential.

Regulus Tera said:
Ten million DSs is more surprising.

Are we gonna get NPD numbers this week or the next, by the way?

Next week I think. The predictions thread end on the 10th and these usually end a few days before the actual release.

Would this be a record for the month December if true?

gerg

EXGN said:

Phantast2k said:
That would be against the trend that we've seen from months before where it was down yoy. What would have caused an yoy increase in December? I don't see nothing. Therefore it's bs.

People need to remember that last year the Wii's sales flatlined between November and December. Normally demand doubles between the two months (as between November and October), but the Wii's sales were just over two million for each of them. Had enough supply been around, it is very likely that the Wii's sales would have been over four million in the US in December.

pickwick said:
I remember that 1 year ago we heard about some rumors saying wii @ 3,2 million for Dec 08, according EEDAR.... That was supposed to be the best month for a console in NA (beating Dec 2002' record of PS2). And finally NPD has said 2,15....

So wait and see.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/nintendo-saved-christmas-with-3-2-million-wii-sales-eedar

Are the EEDAR figures predictions? If so, I'm not sure what use they serve as a comparison to the actual figures.

Liberty4all

Banned
I just think that Wii and Mario were the "must have" items this Christmas. Alot of parents are getting more savvy and won't be buying their 8 year olds PS3's or 360's ... but will buy their kids Wii's, especially with the release of a treasured icon from their own childhood (Mario).

botticus

Phantast2k said:
Severe supply constraints in December 2008. Also, Mario.

Kenka

Nintendo Announces Healthy Holiday Sales Figures

As everyone looks ahead to the possibilities in store for 2010, Nintendo of America is looking to extend the glow of the holidays with some fresh December sales information. The following items were announced by Nintendo President Satoru Iwata in Japan:

* Although official U.S. sales data for December and all of 2009 will be announced by the NPD Group on Jan. 14, it appears that U.S. consumers responded enthusiastically to Nintendo’s Wii™ home console in December. Nintendo estimates that December sales in the United States will exceed 3 million units.
* Nintendo estimates that the portable Nintendo DS™ lineup, including the Nintendo DSi™ video game system, set a new all-time calendar-year U.S. sales record for any console or hand-held system.
* Nintendo software also continued to perform well. Although the NPD Group will provide the full sales numbers for each game, Nintendo estimates that lifetime U.S. sales of New Super Mario Bros.™ Wii are approaching 4 million. The game, which is the first Super Mario Bros. game to include simultaneous four-player action, launched in the United States on Nov. 15.

“The millions of people who bought Nintendo hardware during the holidays can look forward to enjoying great games on those systems now and in the future,” said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks for Nintendo DS, and Wii Fit Plus and New Super Mario Bros. Wii are all currently providing Nintendo fans with amazing experiences and fun adventures for the whole family.”

Source

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Sounds extreme, I wouldn't be surprised if their is some kind of translation error. Maybe this is NA, not just US - or 'holiday' instead of December.
Edit: Or maybe not

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
pickwick said:
I remember that 1 year ago we heard about some rumors saying wii @ 3,2 million for Dec 08, according EEDAR.... That was supposed to be the best month for a console in NA (beating Dec 2002' record of PS2). And finally NPD has said 2,15....

So wait and see.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/nintendo-saved-christmas-with-3-2-million-wii-sales-eedar
I didn't know that Nintendo uses EEDAR for the company's internal estimates. Get over it. If Iwata said it Wii sold that many units.

zigg said:
Apparently NOE's talking about their own records too.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/37017/DS-and-Wii-shatter-Euro-records

Today's probably the big "trumpet your sales" day. :D

You know it's still remarkable that the DS is called a "video game console" by the media and not a handheld system. That really shows what kind of cross appeal and market reception that it's gotten.

Shiggy said:
So Reggie probably won his bet.

Was looking doubtful at first but how in the hell will Modern Warfare 2 sell 2 million in the US for December?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
After working everyday at my store this December...I wouldn't doubt these numbers. Wiis, DS's, Mario Kart and Super Mario Bros Wii were gigantic this holiday season. Absolutely huge. Wiimotes as well.

If it does 2 million+ and outsells both 360/PS3 combined, the "Wii HD" loving press monkeys are going to eat their faces. :lol

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Shiggy said:
So Reggie probably won his bet.
Just for sales age purposes I hope he won worldwide but not US, as then we will probably get some LTD NSMB:Wii and MW2 worldwide figures.

wrowa

Phantast2k said:
You can't see the reason because the reason is sold-out everywhere :p

Top Bottom