• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo sells 3 million Wiis in December 2009

selig

Banned
bmf said:
It could be any number of things, but it's safe to say that it will play Wii games, and can output at HD resolutions. Past that is unknown to the likes of us.

thats not what i meant. i mean it in regards of Michael Pachter´s "there will be a Wii HD"-prediction. Will people admit to his "prediction" when there´s launching a Wii 2 that OF COURSE features HD, but isn´t the HD-upgrade that Pachter actually meant?

At least to me, Pachter´s Wii HD sounds like "there will be a PS2 HD!" - Then there isnt a PS2 HD, but of course Sony releases the PS3, which naturally offers HD, and Pachter claiming he was right, saying "here it is, the PS2 HD, called PS3".

:/

selig said:
thats not what i meant. i mean it in regards of Michael Pachter´s "there will be a Wii HD"-prediction. Will people admit to his "prediction" when there´s launching a Wii 2 that OF COURSE features HD, but isn´t the HD-upgrade that Pachter actually meant?

At least to me, Pachter´s Wii HD sounds like "there will be a PS2 HD!" - Then there isnt a PS2 HD, but of course Sony releases the PS3, which naturally offers HD, and Pachter claiming he was right, saying "here it is, the PS2 HD, called PS3".

I think Pachter will take what he can get.

apujanata

selig said:

I don't think you will get clarification from Pacther. Why should he define it further, and making his chances of victory smaller ?

Black-Wind said:
Wow, he-who-shall-not-be-named broke his lil "Im not posting any more cause of Wii cases" promise to lick "Mario 5's" balls and claims more crazy shit about Zelda Wii (it would appear that now he likes Nintendo again because he thinks they are tossing Zelda Wii to the Wolves . . . because its filled with the wrong ideas and "Mario 5" knocked enuff since into Nintendo to show them the light . . .)

Only posting this because, like always, he took some Gaffer's post from this thread (Opiate) and made a essay around it.

I thought he was gonna stop. >_>
As a long time Zelda fans, I sure hope he is right, and Zelda goes back to it's arcadey game play like Zelda 1 & 2, and perhaps ALTTP (my personal favorite). I will surely purchase Zelda 2 Wii (after Zelda:TP as Zelda 1 Wii), just like I purchase Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, but I am getting less enthusiastic about this series, every since TP (even though it is very gorgeous) and Spirit Tracks (even though I like Phantom Hourglass, I hate train).

I will gladly applaud a "go-back-to-the-roots" Zelda, just like I applauded NSMB Wii, a "go-back-to-the-roots" Mario.

Personally, his decision to stop posting just because he "hates" Wii cases is a little bit childish, and I am glad that he changed his mind, since I enjoy reading his fresh and original analysis of Nintendo's Wii action, starting from User Generated Content, Wii Motion Plus as a shield etc.

selig said:

"Wii HD/+" Means different things to everyone. Some (or should I say "few"?) see it as a successor to the Wii, a brand new console. Most others I see think of it as a kind of half way system, between Wii and the next true console because of how fare we may very well be from a new gen.

So yeah, besides "some new Wii that can pull 360 level stuff" theres no real pinned down idea across all people talking about it.

apujanata said:
As a long time Zelda fans, I sure hope he is right, and Zelda goes back to it's arcadey game play like Zelda 1 & 2, and perhaps ALTTP (my personal favorite). I will surely purchase Zelda 2 Wii (after Zelda:TP as Zelda 1 Wii), just like I purchase Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, but I am getting less enthusiastic about this series, every since TP (even though it is very gorgeous) and Spirit Tracks (even though I like Phantom Hourglass, I hate train).

I will gladly applaud a "go-back-to-the-roots" Zelda, just like I applauded NSMB Wii, a "go-back-to-the-roots" Mario.

Personally, his decision to stop posting just because he "hates" Wii cases is a little bit childish, and I am glad that he changed his mind, since I enjoy reading his fresh and original analysis of Nintendo's Wii action, starting from User Generated Content, Wii Motion Plus as a shield etc.

The thing is, his logic doesn't make much sense to me. :/
He seems to think the NSMBW is some kind of blue print to making LoZ a "huge success". But unlike Mario LoZ has it's sales peaked at something like 7-8 mill with OoT . . . and TP came in 2nd, out doing the 1st LoZ so IDK what sales he thinks it would pull in to make it like OoT (the series's peak in sells) or w/e the hell he wants. Not only that, but the DS LoZs are making some real gains in Japan. OoT was the highest selling LoZ there at 1.14 mill with PH being the first Zelda game to sell over 1 mill over there since then and ST likely to sell even more.

He doesn't seem to understand LoZ IMO due to w/e bias he has for it. He sees Aonuma saying "we will change the structure of LoZ from the field-dungeon-field!" as some way of saying "We are gonna make it story heavy and add plot twist and w/e!". Hell, he constantly makes up his own opinions about the Wii Title and refers to them as "facts" when all we know is "M+/ Changed Structure/ Trying to appeal to new people/ . . . concept art for a game that they have yet to nail down a graphic style for . . and something about MH3?/ 2010 release!".

And as for the "skeleton", roots or w/e of LoZ I agree with the guy who sent from a e-mail.
The adventure is the skeleton of Zelda, where the player goes, what they discover, what they find, what they see. The string of events the player ‘discovers’ (actually they are being led on a very carefully designed path) is the skeleton of Zelda, the arcade gameplay is the skin that encompasses it, keeping the player entertained from event to event, from discovery to discovery, staving off disinterest until the next wonder is uncovered.

The reason Zelda seems non linear is because of all the effort put into disguising it. Zelda is like a maze, there is a huge world with only one path to navigate it, full of dead ends. Only one path. But dead ends are boring. So they filled them with zany characters, fun things to do, secret items like a cape, or wand, heart peices, a cursed fairy that upgrades your items, a character in need of your help who will help you in return. The player is overwhelmed with content, and thus cannot distinguish the one true path among all the wondrous dead ends, all the optional dead ends that are not requirements to beating the game. But its there, its always there, the dead ends are optional, but the player must travel the true path to make progress in the game

As for ST train I think people should factor in the HW limitations. Any "3D" LoZ on the DS was gonna have a shitty over world . . . that effects allot of things not limited to transportation IMO. I hated Boats and I hate the Train but I can look past that knowing that theres some clear limits the devs are trying to work around. That shits not gonna be in the console games for this reason.

Top Bottom