• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo stock drops 8%, Analysts react to NX goals and more

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
naked-gun-nothing-to-see-here-reaction-frank-drebin-police-squad-13911001861.gif.cf.gif

I prefer the wait and see approach. It would appear I'm not the only one.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
Sorry I just don't think N will ever be able to again compete with MS and\or Sony in the home console space they've just lost way way too much mind share and they can't afford to build equivalent hardware.

Davey Cakes

Why is it so important that they live within their little ecosystem where only a portion of people can enjoy them. Limited by a botched online system, limited hardware and a platform that always hinges on their inability to get third parties onboard.
It's not that simple. Nintendo developing within their own ecosystem allows them more freedom than you think.

As a Nintendo fan I actually enjoy having Nintendo hardware. If people don't want to buy it to get their Mario fix, they don't have to.

Nintendo have the ability to do more with their systems, but they've been too insular. This is why the current transition is a plus.

TheJoRu

Pachter's quote makes me a little nervous...

Me too. Ultimately I think they are going to launch in March 2017, but the question is whether they will have to rush things to do it or if missing the holiday-season was to be able to not rush it to release. Right now I'm thinking the first one, using the same reasoning Pachter is, and that's a little scary. Clearly they are pushing the date as far back as they can without missing the FY entirely; not showing at E3 and without committing to anything specific in terms of reveal date apart from "this year" is also a red flag that they're just not ready.

LoveCake

Not surprised by this, surprised it's only 8% drop, however he downward trend could continue, the revenue and profits were down on the earnings report the other day and the NX is not coming out until basically the time the next years earnings report comes out, and what revenue will Nintendo be getting from now until the release of the NX, there are a couple of Pokemon games coming out at Christmas, but what else, I have a 3DS and WiiU and there is nothing at all that I am interested in, I was going to get Zelda U but there is no point now and this won't help Nintendo, can they rely on mobile and Amiibo's for near-enough a year?

I know a lot of money is made from mobile phone games, but if the revenue is so good for Nintendo they will push even more into it and I don't have any interest in mobile phone gaming and if miitomo is anything to go by I won't be missing much.

Nintendo may have a pile of cash, but running Nintendo must cost a fortune a year in wages alone.

MuchoMalo

Banned
I expected mobile to save them from this. I guess since it's not Mario or Pokemon, the investors aren't impressed.

I hope they would go third party so more people can enjoy their games. Smash Brothers on Steam would be amazing. Dedicated to making fun games is Nintendo at its best. Their hardware is not what defines them. It's what holds them back. Why?

Why is it so important that they live within their little ecosystem where only a portion of people can enjoy them. Limited by a botched online system, limited hardware and a platform that always hinges on their inability to get third parties onboard.

The problem is that we don't know how drastically they would need to change in order to sustain themselves as a third-party. It's nice to think that their software would sell three times as much on three times as many platforms, but there are other factors to consider. Basically, it's not a sure bet.

At this point though, it's tough to say what the best option is. If Nintendo can't get third-parties in their hardware due to not appealing to that audience, would Nintendo be able to appeal to the audience of other platforms? If they end up needing new IPs to do so, who's to say that they wouldn't have been better off just putting those games on their own platform and cultivating that expanded audience? This is the opportunity cost to consider. There's a chance that Nintendo could just get a few western studios, expand their demographic with new genres, and end up knocking Microsoft out of the market instead.

I expected mobile to save them from this. I guess since it's not Mario or Pokemon, the investors aren't impressed.

I think the stock drop was larger when Miitomo was revealed to not be made as a game or an instant money maker. The fact that these mobile announcements managed to keep the drop from the OTHER factors from going double digits is telling. They know Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing are still big draws in Japan and worldwide now.

Nervous, why? That's largely what people are speculating will happen: a delay well into 2017.

The move to March 2017 reaks of trying to prevent investors from completely freaking out in the short term, because the forecast for Nintendo in 2016 is almost assuredly very, very bleak without an NX/hardware bump.

What move to March 2017? We never had a release date before. Just end of FY16...

IIRC a lot of people assumed calendar year 16 because AMD spoke about semicustom design wins. I'm fairly certain at this point that the one people assumed was NX and lead to the holiday 16 rumor was actually PS4K...

Unless I completely missed some news somewhere.

I hope they would go third party so more people can enjoy their games. Smash Brothers on Steam would be amazing. Dedicated to making fun games is Nintendo at its best. Their hardware is not what defines them. It's what holds them back. Why?

Im a huge Nintendo fan, but I find myself agreeing with this sentiment more and more.

If NX's "hook" isn't amazing, what exactly is the point of them releasing their own hardware? The world doesn't need three identical game consoles with exclusive libraries.

CronoShot

Honestly I'm fucking pumped for Fire Emblem on mobile. Strategy games work perfectly on a touch screen. Animal Crossing would work well too.

I feel like they're going to be nothing like what we expect though.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

Some of Nintendo's best and most unique software in the last decade could only exist due to their unique hardware designs, moving to a PC means they'd just be stuck making games on KB&M and standard gamepads, which sounds boring as hell.

butalala

Honestly I'm fucking pumped for Fire Emblem on mobile. Strategy games work perfectly on a touch screen. Animal Crossing would work well too.

I feel like they're going to be nothing like what we expect though.

It's going to be the face-petting game that got cut from Fates.

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but I was a kid the last time I was excited for anything Nintendo was doing, and I am getting close to mid life.

TheJoRu

Did that guy in that Bloomberg-video just say Animal Crossing, the franchise that sells over 10 million copies each on handheld devices, is not a top-tier franchise at Nintendo? That it's not in the same class as something like Zelda, the franchise that rarely even reaches 5 million? Ok.

Not exactly a surprise. I'm not saying Nintendo is doomed or anything but I hope the NX does well. Not that I'm planning to buy one myself of course but, you know, still. I don't want Nintendo to disappear.

Freeman

Banned
I don't think analysts are understanding the brilliance of the late to market strategy and consumer dissatisfaction..

Not that dire of a situation and not a gigantic drop.

I think Zelda will turn some heads in a positive way in June and maybe bump that stock up a few points.

Disney had a major slump in the 70s and 80s but dug themselves out of that hole. Nintendo has the IP to do that on a smaller scale if they play their cards right.

Sky Chief

Some of Nintendo's best and most unique software in the last decade could only exist due to their unique hardware designs, moving to a PC means they'd just be stuck making games on KB&M and standard gamepads, which sounds boring as hell.

Huh? PC has by far the most variety in input and output devices and Nintendo could easily make their own peripherals of they wanted to.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
In the grand scheme of things, 8% really means nothing at all TBH. They can rebound that easily. Concern is going to happen by default when they release info that may not be all roses, doesn't mean much for their general prospects though IMO

v1oz

8% fall is not bad at all. I'm surprised they don't see the late release of the NX as an issue. IMHO it should have come out this holiday season. No one is going to care any more about NX by next March. It's too far out. The PS4K will be out by then.

Why doesn't Nintendo make a Gameboy 2? The name alone would sell systems. Or is it too late?

And lmao @ all the third party answers. Must be sarcasm.

Huh? PC has by far the most variety in input and output devices.

Like in all honesty? The MOST I would expect them to do regarding making PC games is to follow their mobile initiative. Make games specific to the platform but ultimately lead it back to their consoles.

Why doesn't Nintendo make a Gameboy 2? The name alone would sell systems. Or is it too late?

And lmao @ all the third party answers. Must be sarcasm.

The people that even know offhand what a game boy is anymore are adult gamers and their mothers who call everything a Nintendo.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I just.... has Nintendon't ever had a worse year than 2016? I don't even think the year the Virtual Boy launched was as big of a trainwreck
M4oe5vt.gif

They have nothing left for their fans this year except Pokemon and Star Fox Zero[critical acclaim]. I imagine the stock will keep plummeting.

I just.... has Nintendon't ever had a worse year than 2016? I don't even think the year the Virtual Boy launched was as big of a trainwreck.

Oh my, yes. The 3DS launch was such a huge loss for the company that Iwata cut his own salary in half, with board members taking a quarter cut so they wouldn't fire employees.

IIRC the slides they released yesterday said the game was going to be an rpg so it will probably be normal FE adapted to mobile.
So is essentially FE15.

Exclusive to mobile.

I can't afford a new iPod Touch just to play FE. Why are Nintendo shitting on core fans by not making the mobile games multiplatform with 3DS and/or WiiU?

This is going to be another thing to piss off hardcore Nintendo fans. Now I'm sad. :(

Pfft. They will be fine without crappy hardware, bad online service and unneeded gimmicks. Nintendo as software only for us as gamers would be the best.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm seriously considering in buying some nintendo stocks (mostly for fun). Wonder if it'll go any lower soon or if I should go ahead and bite.

I've been tempted. Mostly for all those occasions someone says "why do you care, you're not invested in them".

TheJoRu

I just.... has Nintendon't ever had a worse year than 2016?

Yes. 2011 was a wreck. Botched launch of 3DS, botched reveal of Wii U, very little software for Wii. It was only at the very end when 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 released that you could glimpse something better for the 3DS.

This year has Pokémon which is going to be huge, I think Animal Crossing on mobile is going to be very successful (Fire Emblem will probably do ok). If they have a good reveal of NX, and Zelda is received well at E3, then I think they will sail past a couple of other lesser years.

Sandfox

So is essentially FE15.

Exclusive to mobile.

I can't afford a new iPod Touch just to play FE. Why are Nintendo shitting on core fans by not making the mobile games multiplatform with 3DS and/or WiiU?

This is going to be another thing to piss off hardcore Nintendo fans. Now I'm sad. :(

I really doubt it's going to be FE15 even if it plays similar.

Pfft. They will be fine without crappy hardware, bad online service and unneeded gimmicks. Nintendo as software only for us as gamers would be the best.
Talk for yourself. It would be bad for me, as quantity, quality and variety of Nintendo games would suffer and drop, and it would be bad for the market, that is already toxic enough.

It would only be the best for selfish simpletons, who fail to think from A to B.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So is essentially FE15.

Exclusive to mobile.

You could buy a cheap Android tablet.

And it's probably going to be a spinoff and not the next main game.

kIdMuScLe

It still would have dropped regardless if with or without the NX. Now I expect a NX Direct between July and August with a nationwide tour in December/January to show off the NX. Also NX parties around the country just like they did for the GameCube. The only time where I got blackout drunk lol

Top Bottom