• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo stock drops 8%, Analysts react to NX goals and more

foltzie1

Heck, the stock is basically flat with its pre-Wii U launch price. All things considered 8% is not bad news for this given quarter.

Haha, right...
Haha right, company shrinks, employees getting fired en masse, until revenue from multiplatform games would come in (or does it have to be PS4 exclusive for you?), the fiscal year would be more dire than this year, as any income from hardware is gone, shorter dev cycles due to more limited budget, less risks with new ips like Splatoon.

Ha ha, best situation that could happen, right. No downsides at all.

... Like I said, selfish simpletons.

Sky Chief

Haha right, company shrinks, employees getting fired en masse, until revenue from multiplatform games would come in (or does it have to be PS4 exclusive for you?), the fiscal year would be more dire than this year, as any income from hardware is gone, shorter dev cycles due to more limited budget, less risks with new ips like Splatoon.

Ha ha, best situation that could happen, right. No downsides at all.

... Like I said, selfish simpletons.

1. They don't make much money on hardware anymore.

2. They could invest all the money they waste on developing shitty hardware on making games instead. This would lead to bigger budgets, more risks, more new IPs, more output.

massoluk

Banned
Kinda expected, but still I think it's pretty shortsighted on the market part. Zelda and NX in 2017 aside, there's an Animal Crossing coming to mobile. Come on, people!

2. They could invest all the money they waste on developing shitty hardware on making games instead. This would lead to bigger budgets, more risks, more new IPs, more output.
This shitty hardware does indeed make money, or what do you call the 3DS? Their own platforms also means not having to pay royalities, certification and QA by the console makers, and finally, lets not forget what happens to the stock if they basically drop half of the company.

E: Also, no hardware, no royalties they get, you know, especially from 3DS.

Maybe drop the rose-tinted glasses?

ec0ec0

"Scheduling a hardware launch so late in the [fiscal] year and excluding any NX sales from guidance suggests a lack of confidence that the device will actually launch in FY17. It is important to note that a March launch provides Nintendo with wiggle room to delay, as it's still likely to launch well ahead of the key holiday season." - Wedbush Securities' Michael Pachter

agree

Vena

1.) Incorrect.

2.) Unsubstantiated, and not how budgeting works.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
That's a pretty soft drop all things considered. I agree with the person who feels the mobile news softened the blow.

I expected much worse, but I believe the news would have been much more heightened if the Mariners sale & mobile announcements were not made, as you mentioned.

Lincensing ventures were not brought up though, I wish management would have given us an update on that too.

Occam

Heck, the stock is basically flat with its pre-Wii U launch price. All things considered 8% is not bad news for this given quarter.

Yes, and back then they were in a much better position. While they failed to keep the Wii momentum going by not securing proper software support (which seems to be a common theme), due to Wii's success Nintendo's brand was much more popular back then, and mobile competition wasn't as strong.
I never expected them to botch Wii U as spectacularly as they did.

It's like they Murphy's Law'd Wii U to the max.

The thing I never unerstood about Nintendo is, why don't they open more software studios in order to supply a steady stream of games for their hardware? (Actually, they should have done that 15 years ago when GameCube flopped. Or when Wii dropped hard. Or when Wii U failed.)
They've got the necessary financial resources. What are they waiting for, until it's all gone?

AgeEighty

Right. Mobile is the "only way" to monetize a Mario game.

Analysts really do know very little beyond what's hot right in the moment.

Pif

Banned
I never thought I would see Nintendo at such a rock bottom when the Wii and DS came out. They were so ahead of everything and everyone else just focusing on bigger and stronger.

georly

I've been tempted. Mostly for all those occasions someone says "why do you care, you're not invested in them".

Good call. I'll just frame the document/receipt/whatever they give you on my wall and take a picture any time anyone asks.

Kouriozan

“If Mario is available on smartphones, then why buy into the closed world of Nintendo handheld gaming?. Nintendo is going to delay releasing a Mario smartphone game until proven that it’s the only way to monetize its key intellectual properties on mobile.” - Pelham Smithers
Next Animal Crossing console game to be the biggest flop ever, then?

mishakoz

That's a pretty soft drop all things considered. I agree with the person who feels the mobile news softened the blow.

There is a huge difference to investors between "This is how much we have lost" to "this is how much we maybe might lose in the future we are not even sure" like the news they gave out yesterday. I think that's why the stock didn't drop as much.

But id like to point out that the huge increases from the mobile DNA announcement is more than half gone, at its highest Nintendo was trading around 25 a share.

I've been tempted. Mostly for all those occasions someone says "why do you care, you're not invested in them".

I bought pretty much for the same reason. It gave me a reason to root for them rather than continuously slapping my forehead. I sold not long after the monumental increases from the "going mobile" announcement, it was a fun ride.

I'd expect it to go a little lower before it goes higher though. I plan on buying in again when it hits ~14 a share.

I'm assuming their timely decision to acquiesce to more stringent corporate oversight with an auditing/officer system also had a lot to do with it. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the major shareholders actually picked up stock in the belief they're going to have more of a hand on the company's rudder moving forward.

maxcriden

I'm assuming their timely decision to acquiesce to more stringent corporate oversight with an auditing/officer system also had a lot to do with it. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the major shareholders actually picked up stock in the belief they're going to have more of a hand on the company's rudder moving forward.

Agreed. The timing of the Mariners announcement is kinda genius also.

TheMan

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but I was a kid the last time I was excited for anything Nintendo was doing, and I am getting close to mid life.

same here. bought a wii to play xenoblade but didn't even get halfway through that. bought a handful more games but I can't be arsed to play them. not really excited about the nx, although I am curious to see what form it takes.

Not

Banned
More and more, being a Nintendo investor sounds fucking awful. Especially since they run the business akin to them not giving a shit what you think

Go all out on mobile. Mario before Animal Crossing. Hype the NX at E3 with something besides a game that won't sell on your dead console as much as your new console.

Nintendo: "lol"

Fuck, the stress they go through every time Nintendo holds a shareholders meeting must be wearying

I really will feel bummed if Zelda U turns out to be no good. I do have faith though, the mainline games have been steller, yes, even Skyward Sword. Don't think they would screw with one of their flagship titles.

I'm sure it will have the best horse that doesn't run into trees.

"Historically, Nintendo has been in control of most of the value chain, integrating both hardware and software into a single ecosystem, but now that situation has changed. For one, digital distribution takes up almost one-fifth of software revenue (19%), and continues to grow year-over-year. In addition, its success with new revenue streams like the amiibo is growing, even as US sales for the toys-to-life category have started to flatten out. That provides necessary income in the midst of a volatile period, but it cannot cover the whole. Nintendo's international success - with Fire Emblem selling more outside of Japan (1.06M units compared to 780K) - has a greater exposure to currency fluctuations. And, finally, both of its key titles, Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing, were initially conceived as console titles but have found their greatest degree of success on handhelds. It shows that the games industry is, in fact, so volatile that even a powerhouse like Nintendo is not impervious to it. Nintendo's current game plan is likely to provide enough runway to develop a full strategy and rollout that capitalises on the current market changes. The thing to remember about Nintendo is to never count it out." - SuperData's Joost van Dreunen

THIS, is the best analysis I've seen so far. This guy gets what makes Nintendo tick and he's not saying "well if they just put Mario on a phone they would be fine!"

Ombala

I'm getting the feeling that mobile won't be a way for Nintendo to expand there business, instead it might be what keeps it afloat.

Top Bottom