• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo successfully executes a large scare piracy raid (PR)

itxaka said:
Damn, by that description even screwdrivers, soldering irons, flux, electrical tape, wire, gum, spit, and popsicle sticksare illegal as is used to open a console and pirate it.

Completed :lol

Dolphin said:
No, this isn't the same at all. Selling modded hardware is completely different from selling illegal copies of copyrighted software. There's nothing illegal about devices that can be used for copyright circumvention, otherwise DVD recorders and VCRs would be illegal. There's no relation between the two examples whatsoever.

All right, the examples don't compare, but the statement is still true, at least in america thanks to the good ol' DMCA.

Dolphin said:
Well, that's retarded and I'm glad I don't live in Hong Kong.

Well, game piracy is retardedly crazy in Hong Kong... so a "retarded" law is needed :lol

itxaka said:
Damn, by that description even a screwdriver it´s illegal as is used to open a console and pirate it.

A screwdriver can't be used for that purpose "solely by its own", so it doesn't count. The law is talking about a complete product or such modding service.

Dolphin

Banned
AnimeTheme said:
A screwdriver can't be used for that purpose "solely by its own", so it doesn't count.
Neither can this hardware. You need software and a computer for it to work. Plus you need a screwdriver to open up the console.

Dolphin said:
Neither can this hardware. You need software and a computer for it to work.

Yeah, that's why many modding devices like R4 now don't have firmware software included. How the new law would be applied in this case... I don't know.

I am guessing that the nintendo people were there because the government didn't want to have to sort through and cart away a bunch of crap they probably didn't even have storage space for. It seems reasonable that the Nintendo reps accompanied actual officers of the law when they plundered the booty.

In short, don't get your knickerbockers in a twist just yet, Thomas Paine.

Dolphin

Banned
HisshouBuraiKen said:
All right, the examples don't compare, but the statement is still true, at least in america thanks to the good ol' DMCA.
Well...not really. While I completely abhor the DMCA, it doesn't mention modchips, and modchips have other uses besides copyright circumvention. So really they shouldn't be illegal at all, and the people responsible for the DMCA should be drawn and quartered.

Open Source said:
I am guessing that the nintendo people were there because the government didn't want to have to sort through and cart away a bunch of crap they probably didn't even have storage space for. It seems reasonable that the Nintendo reps accompanied actual officers of the law when they plundered the booty.

Exactly. It's common in Hong Kong that such piracy raids are often accompanied with reps from the suing companies to help identify the products in questions.

Jeff-DSA

All the people trying to defend piracy are morons. People trying to claim that these things weren't used for piracy are even bigger morons. Yeah, you can bypass region coding, but that's not why these things really exist, and we all know that.

Dolphin

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:
All the people trying to defend piracy are morons. People trying to claim that these things weren't used for piracy are even bigger morons. Yeah, you can bypass region coding, but that's not why these things really exist, and we all know that.
Or...you're a moron. Nobody's defending piracy, we're saying there's a difference between owning a sword and stabbing someone. What other purpose does a sword have besides stabbing? It certainly doesn't bypass region coding.

Jeff-DSA said:

I won't go far as to call anyone a moron, but I think it's a little silly for some people to say:

"Based on my many seconds of reading this press release, lack of any specifics of how/why the raid was conducted, and complete ignorance of potentially applicable copyright laws, I can affirmatively state that there is no merit to this raid"

Dolphin

Banned
FitzOfRage said:
I won't go far as to call anyone a moron, but I think it's a little silly for some people to say:

"Based on my many seconds of reading this press release, lack of any specifics of how/why the raid was conducted, and complete ignorance of potentially applicable copyright laws, I can affirmatively state that there is no merit to this raid"
Or conversely...
Based on my many seconds of reading this press release, lack of any specifics of how/why the raid was conducted, and complete ignorance of potentially applicable copyright laws, I can affirmatively state that this raid possesses merit

itxaka

Defeatist
Jeff-DSA said:

damn, do you know there is people involved into getting linux in every possible object on this earth? they use modchips for that, nothing else. So bitch about it everything you want, but the user is the one who decides how to use it not the creators.

Also, did you know that when I travel my DS always carries my dumps of my original DS games so I don´t lose them/broke them/get them stoled? plus I can play SCUMM games AND listen to mp3 all in one cartridge. Heck, even sometimes i bring on it manga to read.

Modchips are not ilegal, is the use YOU do to them.

Xeke

Banned
Dolphin said:
Or...you're a moron. Nobody's defending piracy, we're saying there's a difference between owning a sword and stabbing someone. What other purpose does a sword have besides stabbing? It certainly doesn't bypass region coding.

You're just being silly. Yeah, Limewire has potentially legal uses too. I use it, but never for anything legal. I know it's illegal and I'm not going to defend it in that sense.

Dolphin

Banned
Xeke said:
You're just being silly. Yeah, Limewire has potentially legal uses too. I use it, but never for anything legal. I know it's illegal and I'm not going to defend it in that sense.
What's your point? Limewire isn't illegal; like you said, what you use it for is illegal. You don't ban the internet because people use it for piracy.

Dolphin said:
Nobody's defending piracy, we're saying there's a difference between owning a sword and stabbing someone. What other purpose does a sword have besides stabbing? It certainly doesn't bypass region coding.

Then why is nail clipper banned in airports? We all know what nail clipper is for, and it's not like every passenger is terrorist.

Somnid

You know when Nintendo goes after these things it's usually because they really were used for piracy, not because they kinda sorta maybe were used for piracy.

Top Bottom